• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Bregmann Roche said:
I'm disappointed that Frankie only told us about the toilets. What about the sinks? What did 343 have for lunch? THERES MOAR TO DIS TOILEETT STORY!!!

I think it's obvious whatever they're eating is prone to making them clog toilets. ;)

Stripper13 said:
Right.

However where I get frustrated with the system is when the bulletin update clearly details flowers/bloom in the teaser pictures - yet no one (to my knowledge) has said "we are adjusting bloom". I don't think anyone expects "we adjusted the bloom variable by a factor of 0.10 at blah blah" - but some confirmation on a few key issues (particularly glitches like gauss-turret/forgeworld-pieces) hardly seems like an issue. In this case, you guys know that bloom is being adjusted (or at least the bulletin hints at it). Obviously the gritty details are omitted subject to playtesting etc. - yet the userbase is largely kept in the dark that bloom is being addressed at all.
If they say "we are adjusting bloom" at this moment and they can't adjust it, who will be mad? The teases in the bulletin just showed me: Hey, great, they are trying to fix it. Nothing more. My opinion.

Otherwise why are you so mad about this? it is just TU. Reach is playable and doesn't need a patch like Brink.
And it is good. OMG I will get stoned now

BackdoorBeauty said:
I think they're addressing the biggest issue of all, which was the lack of shipped maps.

Bloom, I can take it or leave it. I'd rather leave it, but it doesn't break the game. Not having enough maps at ship, you can never fix that. I bought the first DLC and MLG doesn't even use Anchor 9! Hopefully v6, I guess.

BTB needs an overhaul.. My guess for the BTB map from CE:A is Sidewinder.
Yeah. Biggest problem of Reach. Otherwise you can't really please the community. You think the game needs BTB maps. Some german Halo fans are thinking, Reach needs more maps for 4vs4. etc.

feel

kylej said:
More great posts from Mr. Conscience. Tell us more about ethics and being nice (if you can squeeze it in between posts that insult HaloGAF's families and children).
vhfive said:
you really don't know when to just drop something do you
I'm usually not this mean, but I gotta say I was disappointed to see him survive the junior stage and become a member. We'll never get rid of him now.

OuterWorldVoice said:
We got new industrial strength toilets. They could flush a cinderblock like it was a wet wipe. I hope this helps.
More!!

30392th.jpg

PS: Not sure if you noticed the picture I posted earlier today of my pitbull puppy, but yeah, he hates bloom, please don't make him sad twice in the same month.

Hey You

Bregmann Roche said:
Building on this: what if with every kill the killed player drops not the weapons/powerup they were holding but something random.
That would be pretty cool.
Domino Theory said:
Aka Gun Game from Blops.
Yeah, but except in this mode you wouldn't know what the next weapon would be. completly random. One thing I hate about Gun game is that if you fall behind with everyone on Rockets and your on the lower weapons, alot of the time your fucked.

Devolution said:
I hate fiestas because I'm the kind of person to get the same useless weapon 4 times in a row.
Yeah, maybe it could be so your wouldn't get the same weapon within 3 rotations and same AA within 2 rotations.

Devolution said:
I think it's obvious whatever they're eating is prone to making them clog toilets. ;)

Cinderblocks? ... Steaktacular?

As for shipped maps issue: definitely feeling the paucity of developer-made maps. I also missed out on Halo: CE and Halo 2 MP so I'm looking forward to getting "immersed" and "adaptioning" myself to Halo MP history.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stripper13 said:
Right.

However where I get frustrated with the system is when the bulletin update clearly details flowers/bloom in the teaser pictures - yet no one (to my knowledge) has said "we are adjusting bloom". I don't think anyone expects "we adjusted the bloom variable by a factor of 0.10 at blah blah" - but some confirmation on a few key issues (particularly glitches like gauss-turret/forgeworld-pieces) hardly seems like an issue. In this case, you guys know that bloom is being adjusted (or at least the bulletin hints at it). Obviously the gritty details are omitted subject to playtesting etc. - yet the userbase is largely kept in the dark that bloom is being addressed at all.

As for brink - the game released, sold well, but was broken and needed a day one patch. The patch did nothing except limit functionality/features to compensate for the netcode. Then everything afterwards pertaining to fixing the game was ambiguous at best. No answers, no dates, no indication of what was being addressed. What resulted was a pathetically small number of players left playing the game while the development/publisher team grasped at straws (in this case, free DLC) to attract the players back. Obviously on a whole other level compared to Reach's circumstances - but the frustration remains the same (at least for me). Very little in the way of answers, or indication of what will be addressed. Ultimately bloom, armor lock, grenades etc don't bother me nearly as much as userbases being kept in the dark, or known information being withheld in some attempt to make it an announcement/event.

As a person you admire, I give you permission to apologize to me. You may do this in one of four ways:

1. A sincere and thoughtfully worded apologia.
2. A code that will help you avoid the embarrassment of a public apology - this can take the form of a long, overly serious complaint accusing me of being flippant and arrogant, or a pithy dismissive retort, or even a capitulation where you pretend to just give up trying to even talk to me.
3. Ignoring this post entirely. This last option will be accepted as the most groveling lickspittle response. I will appreciate it.
4. Pretending you have nothing to apologize for and being baffled at why you'd think I deserve an apology.

Letters said:
I'm usually not this mean, but I gotta say I was disappointed to see him survive the junior stage and become a member. We'll never get rid of him now.

Oh come on you guys said the same thing about me!

And everybody loves me now.

EVERYBODY...

EVERYBODY!

everybody!

Question: I'm thinking of getting a cheap pair of those TB XLC's. How does that connect to my xbox if I use HDMI. It looks like the audio and video split, but Xbox's don't send signals to the AV cords if you have the HDMI plugged in? Do they? I'm confused. I thought it would use that TOS cable or whatever its called but it doesn't look like that exists for the XLC's?

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
As a person you admire, I give you permission to apologize to me. You may do this in one of four ways:

2. A code that will help you avoid the embarrassment of a public apology - this can take the form of a long, overly serious complaint accusing me of being flippant and arrogant, or a pithy dismissive retort, or even a capitulation where you pretend to just give up trying to even talk to me.
3. Ignoring this post entirely. This last option will be accepted as the most groveling lickspittle response. I will appreciate it.
4. Pretending you have nothing to apologize for and being baffled at why you'd think I deserve an apology.

ROFLMAO. Leave it to Frankie to bring the laughs. I don't think I've actually looked forward to a reply to a post before but now I do wanna see how he will reply.

xxjuicesxx said:

EVERYBODY...

EVERYBODY!

everybody!

Question: I'm thinking of getting a cheap pair of those TB XLC's. How does that connect to my xbox if I use HDMI. It looks like the audio and video split, but Xbox's don't send signals to the AV cords if you have the HDMI plugged in? Do they? I'm confused. I thought it would use that TOS cable or whatever its called but it doesn't look like that exists for the XLC's?

Dude what are you doin' and where is kyle.

::campaign lobby::

juices nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:

Yes they do. That's how everyone with Headsets and HDMI hook their shit up. You just have to remove the casing around the plug that goes into the Xbox so that it and the HDMI cord can fit together.

BackdoorBeauty said:
I think they're addressing the biggest issue of all, which was the lack of shipped maps.

I bought the first DLC and MLG doesn't even use Anchor 9! Hopefully v6, I guess.

BTB needs an overhaul.. My guess for the BTB map from CE:A is Sidewinder.

Everyone getting excited for the adoption of Anniversary maps in MLG will probably face dissapointment for some time. They don't use paid DLC maps because they'd have to download and pay for them on every xbox at an event. After the Heroic map pack (which was free) they didn't incorporate any DLC other than what could be played from disc via the ODST multiplayer disc. This won't be the case with CEA as the maps have to be downloaded to be played on Reach in tandem with the launch maps. Maybe MLG will be so impressed by the CEA maps that they'll use them exclusively from the Anniversary disc. lol

BTB map won't be sidewinder either. 343 said no maps that have seen the light of day on the 360 (Avalanche was its 'spiritual successor') will be remade for Reach.

Stinkles

xxjuicesxx said:

EVERYBODY...

EVERYBODY!

everybody!

If you're using hdmi, plug the optical cable from the headphones, or composite stereo if it doesn't have optical into your TVs optical or stereo out. Bam. Bypass xbox entirely. Most TVs with hdmi should have one or the other or both.

There is also an optical and stereo dongle that fits next to hdmi without pumpkin carving.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
Yes they do. That's how everyone with Headsets and HDMI hook their shit up. You just have to remove the casing around the plug that goes into the Xbox so that it and the HDMI cord can fit together.

Or get this and not ruin your console.

thee henery said:
Everyone getting excited for the adoption of Anniversary maps in MLG will probably face dissapointment for some time. They don't use paid DLC maps because they'd have to download and pay for them on every xbox at an event. After the Heroic map pack (which was free) they didn't incorporate any DLC other than what could be played from disc via the ODST multiplayer disc. This won't be the case with CEA as the maps have to be downloaded to be played on Reach in tandem with the launch maps. Maybe MLG will be so impressed by the CEA maps that they'll use them exclusively from the Anniversary disc. lol

BTB map won't be sidewinder either. 343 said no maps that have seen the light of day on the 360 (Avalanche was its 'spiritual successor') will be remade for Reach.

Well, that isn't right because MLG required Heretic which was well after Heroic.

OuterWorldVoice said:

I don't even know what to say to this, I guess that makes me option 3...?

BackdoorBeauty said:
Bah, missed that. Dream crusher?

Anyway, I don't see any other H1 maps that would be suitable for BTB.
The Classic MapPack can have maps from Halo 1, Halo PC and Halo 2. Just sayin'.

Btw. I like everyone from GAF <3. But If I say that I love everyone at GAF, one person will be very mad about me...

Tashi

OuterWorldVoice said:
If you're using hdmi, plug the optical cable from the headphones, or composite stereo if it doesn't have optical into your TVs optical or stereo out. Bam. Bypass xbox entirely. Most TVs with hdmi should have one or the other or both.

There is also an optical and stereo dongle that fits next to hdmi without pumpkin carving.

What is this?

Blinding said:
Or get this and not ruin your console.

So this goes into HDMI and on the other side has HDMI and a stereo jack?

This looks like the best option.

Tashi I split my last thing and I think splitting that thing caused my xbox's video card to overheat and eventually breakdown. I think thats why they make the two not fit in the first case. A sort of overbearing precautionary step.

GhaleonEB

I'm on catch up mode, but I'm starting here:

Stripper13 said:
Regardless of their plans for Halo Fest - there is no excuse for:

1. Fans having no idea about changes a year after release, despite the need for change from the outset. This is just as much an issue with Bungie not addressing the changes as it an issue with 343i keeping fans in the dark.

2. Knowing far more intimate details about the 2 biggest releases of the year as opposed to a title update for a year old game.

Don't get me wrong - some information is better than nothing, but I really don't feel like the TU is being handled adequately - at least for the current userbase. I don't expect to know exactly how bloom/banshee/melee/grenades are being altered. I'd just like to know that they are being addressed period.
What the hell? The thing hasn't been announced yet. You're demanding something be announced before it's announced, less than two weeks before we know the details are going to be revealed. They said ages ago, hey guyz, there's a title update coming, you'll get the details at HaloFest.

You are making no sense at all and have a massive sense of entitlement to boot.

Edit: and now caught up. Hilarious.

Here's a picture of our pet lizard.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
Not sure if it makes a difference to him, but optical out in most TVs still only allows 2 channel audio to pass through, not 5.1, so if using this recomendation he should be on the lookout for that in the tv specs.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
Pics are small but is that a little dongle that fits HDMI and Optical?? Also, anything unsafe about stripping the casing of the large AV cable to fit both?

Yes, that is a little dongle that allows the HDMI cable to fit and provides audio output via optical and RCA (red/white.) It's what I used before switching to VGA.

Tashi0106 said:
Also, anything unsafe about stripping the casing of the large AV cable to fit both?
Nope, I have seen people do that. If it would make you feel better just wrap it in electrical tape. You only have to remove half of the housing.

I'm going all in on the possibility that bloom is going to be removed in the TU. All of my chips. All. Of. Them. Other changes are purely secondary to bloom being removed. Although, the notion of shield-bleed-through does sound very sweet. I'm setting myself up for massive disappointment, but not much else matters to me when it comes to Reach. haha

Tawpgun

Blinding said:
Yes, that is a little dongle that allows the HDMI cable to fit and provides audio output via optical and RCA (red/white.) It's what I used before switching to VGA.
lol.

Shut up, I'm tired and needed a little immature humor.

Good Night HaloGAF

xxjuicesxx said:
oh my god the more cables i look at the more confused i get lol

P.S. Does this mean we get to hear your voice on the stream?

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
360 -> to TV via HDMI -> optical from TV to reciever/amp -> plug all the shit you want into the amp.

Good pair of headphones + stock XBL mic around your neck is all you need.

Tashi

Hmmm ok. Maybe I'll invest in that cable to keep it on the safe, legit side. Right now though, I'm happy with my setup.

Blinding

xxjuicesxx said:

Here's the dongle:

360elite%20062.jpg

Plug your optical cable into that and into your MixAmp, then plug your headphones/MP3 player/whatever into your MixAmp and you're good to go.

Ramirez

Letters said:

lol, what's odd is that I'm pretty sure he doesn't like 99% of the people here, the only time he posts is too get all moral on someone if they differ from his viewpoints, so I'm not sure why he bothers sticking around.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
lol, what's odd is that I'm pretty sure he doesn't like 99% of the people here, the only time he posts is too get all moral on someone if they differ from his viewpoints, so I'm not sure why he bothers sticking around.
Because we're such a loving and friendly communit-ppfftty
mj-laughing.gif

No but really, <3 you HaloGAF. Without you I probably wouldn't be playing much Reach. You make the bullshit bearable. Fun online and on the thread. Can't say it enough. <3 <4 <3 (I don't know, I thought it looked cool)

Stinkles

Blinding said:
Here's the dongle:

360elite%20062.jpg

Plug your optical cable into that and into your MixAmp, then plug your headphones/MP3 player/whatever into your MixAmp and you're good to go.
And for juices benefit, this is plugged in at the same time as hdmi. It's slim so both the hdmi cable and this little adapter fit in at the same time.

Tashi

OuterWorldVoice said:
And for juices benefit, this is plugged in at the same time as hdmi. It's slim so both the hdmi cable and this little adapter fit in at the same time.

So what's the difference between using that and your normal old Component/AV/VGA cable? The Xbox won't put out 2 videos signals anyway.

Tashi

The Real Napsta said:
What is the THO stand for again, i can never remember that one.

The Hangout. It's a LAN center my teammate goes to. They also sponsor Lethul's team. I'll actually be sharing a hotel room with Lethul. Hopefully his skills will rub off on me lol.

Top Bottom