• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

HiredN00bs said:
I'm sorry, I just read a news story about a boy murdering his grandmother. If you want to tell jokes in the same breath, they'd better be DAMN GOOD.

Unless you're reading a different story than the rest of us, you actually read a story about a boy murdering his great-grandmother. That is, of course, assuming you read any story at all and aren't just skimming this thread looking for an excuse to bitch at someone.

HiredN00bs said:
I don't even know the victims name, but thank God we know he was playing Halo. What playlists was he in? MLG? Extraneous information makes crappy news when you miss key details.
It's unethical (possibly illegal) to disclose a minor's name in the news for serious crimes. It's also true for sex crime victims.

Hey You

I would like a "sharpshooter" type game mode for Reach (dunno if its possible) or Halo 4, where you start with a random weapon and AA. After you get a kill, your weapon and AA is switched to something else random. Your AA is a one time use (until you get a kill). After maybe, 2-3 minutes if you haven't gotten a kill with your current weapon, you will get a different weapon/aa.

Everyones weapon would be random.

Hey You said:
I would like a "sharpshooter" type game mode for Reach (dunno if its possible) or Halo 4, where you start with a random weapon and AA. After you get a kill, your weapon and AA is switched to something else random. Your AA is a one time use (until you get a kill). After maybe, 2-3 minutes if you haven't gotten a kill with your current weapon, you will get a different weapon/aa.

So fiesta on steroids?

Hey You said:

Building on this: what if with every kill the killed player drops not the weapons/powerup they were holding but something random.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hey You said:

Aka Gun Game from Blops.

I like fiesta because it's as close to scratch tickets as I will get in Halo. Unless you count the randomness of bloom.

BAAAACCCCKKKKWWWWAAAARRRRDDDSSSS JAYYYYYY!

kylej said:
More great posts from Mr. Conscience. Tell us more about ethics and being nice (if you can squeeze it in between posts that insult HaloGAF's families and children).
Stand for justice. Be nice to the nice. Be an asshole to assholes. And you being an asshole to me for being an asshole to you for being an asshole in the firstplace doesn't count. Actually, I never was an asshole to you, just to your friends who were griefing, or whining, or making terrible memes/"jokes".

Bregmann Roche said:
Unless you're reading a different story than the rest of us, you actually read a story about a boy murdering his great-grandmother. That is, of course, assuming you read any story at all and aren't just skimming this thread looking for an excuse to bitch at someone.
Shut up. His great grandmother is his grandmother. It makes the crime neither more, nor less heinous. What a useless point of contention. You know what my wife calls her great grandmother? Grandma. The dude killed his Grandma. Sorry, I didn't find that comparable to snapping an optical disc.

Devolution said:
I hate fiestas because I'm the kind of person to get the same useless weapon 4 times in a row.
As said by Bungie themselves, Fiesta is the truest test of skill because you have to be good with ALL the weapons.

FyreWulff

Pj5eO.gif

Dax01 said:
Just because some people from 343 post here, doesn't mean we should know information before anyone else or they should be forced to divulge any information.
I agree. However I never said that they should give us information just because they post here. The fans of the game, the player base for the last year, the people calling for and suggesting change should be aware of what is being addressed - nothing more.

I do however think that the fact that the members of the development team interact in various communities is even more of a reason that we should know more than we do. Bungie/343i are not behind a wall of predetermined marketing machine plans like most companies - or at least they don't seem to be on the same level. So why is it so difficult for OWV to say 'hey guys, just to clarify - we are looking into the following'.

It's not just Bungie/343i - the whole Brink patch/DLC fiasco was a joke - simply because no one would give an answer. It's obviously on a different level, given that Reach is perfectly playable - but the idea is the same. Nearly one whole year of complaints and call for change on some specific issues (that were admittedly a significant change to Halo's well defined sandbox) - and we can't get a scrape of solid information beyond waiting for a predetermined marketing event.

Anyway I'll stop for now - it's obviously a fruitless exercise. Looking forward to the halo-fest streams, though I think have to work.

vhfive

HiredN00bs said:
Stand for justice. Be nice to the nice. Be an asshole to assholes. And you being an asshole to me for being an asshole to you for being an asshole in the firstplace doesn't count. Actually, I never was an asshole to you, just to your friends who were griefing, or whining, or making terrible memes/"jokes".

As said by Bungie themselves, Fiesta is the truest test of skill because you have to be good with ALL the weapons.
you really don't know when to just drop something do you

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
I hate fiestas because I'm the kind of person to get the same useless weapon 4 times in a row.
Well most of the weapons in Reach are balanced well enough, hell I can easily kill a guy with a plasma pistol lol

PNut

Banned
Away for like 24 hours and there's 15 new pages! Finally caught up on it all and my hype meter for the TU and CEA is off the charts. Can't wait.

xxjuicesxx said:
Also I need Tip Of The Spear, New Alexandria, The Package, and Pillar of Autumn for my co-op shield. Anyone who needs anyone of those and is willing to run through it with me, preferably with experience send me a message with the level so I know we can do it. I'm pumped to do this finally!

If you want a Campaign speed runner to help out, hit me up. I'm no RC Master but I did knock out Heroic a few weeks ago in about 2 hours for the weekly.

MrBig

Stripper13 said:
I agree. However I never said that they should give us information just because they post here. The fans of the game, the player base for the last year, the people calling for and suggesting change should be aware of what is being addressed - nothing more.

I do however think that the fact that the members of the development team interact in various communities is even more of a reason that we should know more than we do. Bungie/343i are not behind a wall of predetermined marketing machine plans like most companies - or at least they don't seem to be on the same level. So why is it so difficult for OWV to say 'hey guys, just to clarify - we are looking into the following'.

It's not just Bungie/343i - the whole Brink patch/DLC fiasco was a joke - simply because no one would give an answer. It's obviously on a different level, given that Reach is perfectly playable - but the idea is the same. Nearly one whole year of complaints and call for change on some specific issues (that were admittedly a significant change to Halo's well defined sandbox) - and we can't get a scrape of solid information beyond waiting for a predetermined marketing event.

You can't make promises. You have to tell facts when you are dealing with something that millions of people are going to be effected by. When you start talking about one thing that might get fixed people will bounce the idea around and come to conclusions, or get mad about it, or be elated to the point where they are furious at a developer when the proposed change doesn't get fixed. You can't appease everybody and you can't implement all of the changes you want, so you only say what you know for a fact has already been worked on, finished, and tested, thus knowing that the promises that you make will be delivered.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
You can't make promises. You have to tell facts when you are dealing with something that millions of people are going to be effected by. When you start talking about one thing that might get fixed people will bounce the idea around and come to conclusions, or get mad about it, or be elated to the point where they are furious at a developer when the proposed change doesn't get fixed. You can't appease everybody and you can't implement all of the changes you want, so you only say what you know for a fact has already been worked on, finished, and tested, thus knowing that the promises that you make will be delivered.

Exactly. In fact Bungie got in trouble several times for talking about things they were just looking at doing. People took that as oh Bungie is fixing such and such thing when they never said they were for sure. Eventually Bungie realized that maybe they should be more cautious when talking about things.

That's one lesson that I think 343 has taken away from Bungie too. So I don't blame them for being cautious in what they say.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Stripper13 said:
Regardless of their plans for Halo Fest - there is no excuse for:

1. Fans having no idea about changes a year after release, despite the need for change from the outset. This is just as much an issue with Bungie not addressing the changes as it an issue with 343i keeping fans in the dark.

2. Knowing far more intimate details about the 2 biggest releases of the year as opposed to a title update for a year old game.

Don't get me wrong - some information is better than nothing, but I really don't feel like the TU is being handled adequately - at least for the current userbase. I don't expect to know exactly how bloom/banshee/melee/grenades are being altered. I'd just like to know that they are being addressed period.
I think not "being handled adequately" and "not being announced as quickly as you'd like" are two different things. :)

vhfive said:
you really don't know when to just drop something do you

When he's not busy being the internet joke police, he uses his spare time (nearly 4 hours a day) to play a game that simulates the murder of human beings. He himself has committed many simulated murders, some of them with a sword, for fun. But FSM help you if you make a joke that turns murder into something that could be considered entertainment.

Tunavi said:
Yeah if the TU comes out and bloom isn't gone I'm not buying CEA.
ALL IN

Bregmann Roche said:
When he's not busy being the internet joke police, he uses his spare time (nearly 4 hours a day) to play a game that simulates the murder of human beings. He himself has committed many simulated murders, some of them with a sword, for fun. But FSM help you if you make a joke that turns murder into something that could be considered entertainment.
Someone's being critical and sarcastic on the internet. Maybe I'd be a better contributor if I made post 276 bitching about bloom instead.

senador

Banned
Wow what a day! I came back to my hotel room and it took my hours to catch up since yesterday. Lots of funny stuff, lots of good news, lots of dumb thing too.

Beaver Creek is looking damn fine. So is Damnation, however count me in the group not excited for it. It doesn't play particularly well IMO, and I don't remember much fun on it. At least it looks cool.

People here really need to chill out. Jokes are jokes. I highly doubt anyone here would really support the jokes made about the grandma/sword thing. Also, its ridiculous that Devolution is being attacked for not really doing anything at all really. Glad to see N00bs its still keeping it classy. If you were really trying to be someone great, you'd be a nice guy to all, instead you are just being an annoying ass regardless of your stance.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Do you/Have you ever experienced the input lag in fireight/coop? How often?

Only a handful or 2 for me, and of those even less were unplayable. Most games are fine or at least seem they are.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Put me in the group that's willing to help a brother out.

Me too. I'll PayPal some money or something. I know I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't play.

thezerofire said:
File file = new File(location.out);
FileWriter fw = new FileWriter(File);
while(file.size < 6000000000)
{
fw.write("I'm Sorry\n");
}

obvious shit code it's been a long day of writing real code

Nice! What type of stuff do you do?

Hypertrooper said:
I'm asking myself, why a 15-teen year old boy killed his grandmother for a goddamn videogame. It's unbelievable.
The kid was unstable and unfit for society. I don't think the game had anything to do with it. Such a fucking tragedy.

Hypertrooper said:
I'm asking myself, why a 15-teen year old boy killed his grandmother for a goddamn videogame. It's unbelievable.

Some stuff is just really hard to understand, I think because it takes a certain break with morals, reality and plain ol' sympathy/compassion for other people. And a family member at that? Jesus.

Cocopjojo said:
I think not "being handled adequately" and "not being announced as quickly as you'd like" are two different things. :)
Bullshit. The fact is I played Reach for the best part of year with no indication any change was happening at all. I would have kept playing it until the next halo dropped as well. My issue is with the whole system of announcements/changes/marketing/patches etc.

I can completely understand silence and a firmly planned marketing message when releasing a new game in a major franchise - it works, and ensures a consistent message. What I cannot comprehend - is why there are multiple examples of ambiguity when dealing with issues in a game. Why were the hundreds of thousands of people who picked up Brink day one, where upon it was effectively broken for several weeks - not given solid information on a fix? They were told a fix was coming - but that was it. We are not talking about a game release here, rather changes to a game plagued with issues. Similarly, Reach/Halo has one of the most active player bases on Live - and for nearly a year there have been plenty of people calling for changes - and the answer to these issues will be revealed at an event. I simply don't think that's fair to the dedicated userbase.

If 343i came out tomorrow and stated that the TU was no longer happening - I would quite happily play Reach until the new Halo arrives. I am just increasingly frustrated with the terrible approach towards addressing fans regarding problems with a game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Dax01 said:
Just because some people from 343 post here doesn't mean we have the right to know the inner workings of 343.
We got new industrial strength toilets. They could flush a cinderblock like it was a wet wipe. I hope this helps.

@ BackdoorBeauty

lol

OuterWorldVoice said:
We got new industrial strength toilets. They could flush a cinderblock like it was a wet wipe. I hope this helps.

You know you love to talk about water when no context is spared.

Risen said:
But do you have matching bidets? That's the real question isn't it?
What if the toilets...power washed? [joestaten.jpg]

Risen

OuterWorldVoice said:

But do you have matching bidets? That's the real question isn't it?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stripper13 said:
Bullshit. The fact is I played Reach for the best part of year with no indication any change was happening at all. I would have kept playing it until the next halo dropped as well. My issue is with the whole system of announcements/changes/marketing/patches etc.

I can completely understand silence and a firmly planned marketing message when releasing a new game in a major franchise - it works, and ensures a consistent message. What I cannot comprehend - is why there are multiple examples of ambiguity when dealing with issues in a game. Why were the hundreds of thousands of people who picked up Brink day one, where upon it was effectively broken for several weeks - not given solid information on a fix? They were told a fix was coming - but that was it. We are not talking about a game release here, rather changes to a game plagued with issues. Similarly, Reach/Halo has one of the most active player bases on Live - and for nearly a year there have been plenty of people calling for changes - and the answer to these issues will be revealed at an event. I simply don't think that's fair to the dedicated userbase.

If 343i came out tomorrow and stated that the TU was no longer happening - I would quite happily play Reach until the new Halo arrives. I am just increasingly frustrated with the terrible approach towards addressing fans regarding problems with a game.

The Reach TU is not fixing the game's functionality, because the game is totally functional, as you yourself mention. It's adding new and expanded functionality to give all players variety and to provide a more focused 'classic' experience. We are not specifying exact changes because there is a delicate balance of test and schedule to cope with. We are announcing almost everything at HaloFest based on a predetermined schedule and the hopefully coincidental first pass against bugs and balance.

The comparison to Brink is lost on me. I wasn't following that project. But the idea that we don't communicate with fans is erroneous in my opinion. We do, frequently and with as little ambiguity as the many, many conditions permit.

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
Edit.: Franke spoke.

Yes he did. Frankie is right here too. Even though they are a bit guarded they talk and communicate with the community a hell of a lot better then most developers. Key point being most. I can think of maybe 3 others who do as good or better. Course they aren't owned by giant multibillion dollar corporations like Bungie was and 343 is.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The Reach TU is not fixing the game's functionality, because the game is totally functional, as you yourself mention. It's adding new and expanded functionality to give all players variety and to provide a more focused 'classic' experience. We are not specifying exact changes because there is a delicate balance of test and schedule to cope with. We are announcing almost everything at HaloFest based on a predetermined schedule and the hopefully coincidental first pass against bugs and balance.

The comparison to Brink is lost on me. I wasn't following that project. But the idea that we don't communicate with fans is erroneous in my opinion. We do, frequently and with as little ambiguity as the many, many conditions permit.
Right.

However where I get frustrated with the system is when the bulletin update clearly details flowers/bloom in the teaser pictures - yet no one (to my knowledge) has said "we are adjusting bloom". I don't think anyone expects "we adjusted the bloom variable by a factor of 0.10 at blah blah" - but some confirmation on a few key issues (particularly glitches like gauss-turret/forgeworld-pieces) hardly seems like an issue. In this case, you guys know that bloom is being adjusted (or at least the bulletin hints at it). Obviously the gritty details are omitted subject to playtesting etc. - yet the userbase is largely kept in the dark that bloom is being addressed at all.

As for brink - the game released, sold well, but was broken and needed a day one patch. The patch did nothing except limit functionality/features to compensate for the netcode. Then everything afterwards pertaining to fixing the game was ambiguous at best. No answers, no dates, no indication of what was being addressed. What resulted was a pathetically small number of players left playing the game while the development/publisher team grasped at straws (in this case, free DLC) to attract the players back. Obviously on a whole other level compared to Reach's circumstances - but the frustration remains the same (at least for me). Very little in the way of answers, or indication of what will be addressed. Ultimately bloom, armor lock, grenades etc don't bother me nearly as much as userbases being kept in the dark, or known information being withheld in some attempt to make it an announcement/event.

Hypertrooper said:
I think MrBig told you the best argument: The TU is still in development. If they now say: "The time of bloom is finally over" and they can't fix it, people will be mad. At the moment 343i gives us teases in Bulletin, that something will happen to bloom. We only know that. Nothing more. So we can't blame them for sth..

I think they're addressing the biggest issue of all, which was the lack of shipped maps.

Bloom, I can take it or leave it. I'd rather leave it, but it doesn't break the game. Not having enough maps at ship, you can never fix that. I bought the first DLC and MLG doesn't even use Anchor 9! Hopefully v6, I guess.

BTB needs an overhaul.. My guess for the BTB map from CE:A is Sidewinder.

Top Bottom