• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
FyreWulff said:
He said most features, and it won't matter if they nerf the scope, there is no point to picking up any other weapon if this is the new global DMR, and they just threw the Reach LAN community under a bus for the sake of pleasing a minority. You won't need to zoom when the aim assist unscoped is good enough. This is just the Halo 2 BR all over again.

Ugh the Halo 2 BR online had garbage range if you weren't host. Shots didn't register for shit even just across Midship. There was almost no point in trying. I like the DMR has very long range and the shots actually register. There's some serious balancing that has to happen with the removal of bloom on the DMR, obviously 343 knows that. I want to know what they did.

Havok

JB1981 said:
Doesn't it kind of make armor lock pointless?
It makes it work as it should be - a quick burst of invincibility that you can be knocked out of. It serves its purpose as a damage mitigator while allowing the enemy team to take steps to kill you besides just waiting it out as sitting ducks. There's no way to tell from the video, but I'd guess that a burst of damage (like from a rocket or Wraith blast) wouldn't kill the guy, but just knock him out of Armor Lock so he got his one extra life without slowing the game down to a crawl as people stare at him.

JB1981 said:

No, because you can still withstand a significant amount of damage, and it takes no hits on your actual health and shields. Also, like Havok said, you won't have to be a sitting duck waiting for someone to get out of Armor Lock. You can now explode him out of it!

Anyway, I wonder how much charge goes down if a vehicle runs into you..

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
He said most features, and it won't matter if they nerf the scope, there is no point to picking up any other weapon if this is the new global DMR, and they just threw the Reach LAN community under a bus for the sake of pleasing a minority. You won't need to zoom when the aim assist unscoped is good enough. This is just the Halo 2 BR all over again.

As it is, everything in this video was doable under the Halo 2 and Halo 3 setups. Once again, I'll wait for a bloomless DMR video on Spire before calling anything either way.

Dude. Dude.

Stop. Please. Stop. Calm.

Seriously, you're making bullshit claims here. You don't have even half of the information needed to come to your conclusions, which folks are stressing are completely wrong.

At least wait until HaloFest before claiming 343 are killing off parts of the community.

jumptoconclusions2xk14.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Frankie has confirmed that all gameplay changes from the TU CAN be featured across all maps.

fixed.

Important distinction. It will be playlist dependent. If a change proves universally popular, then obviously it will get universal application. Some folks will definitely still want "normal" REACH behavior and they will have that.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Notice what happens at 4:30, when the guy armor locks. A grenade goes off, and the juice left in the armor lock drops in half with the explosion.

I have goosebumps right now. Actual goosebumps.
I'm wondering if the grenade popped him out of AL as well.

The AL nerf is welcomed. It's a STEP in the right direction. But AL is still AL. No place in Halo. Nuke it across the board.

Also, can't wait to sink my teeth into that TU. Release date August 29th right? So everyone can go home after Halofest and play it :)

GhaleonEB

JB1981 said:
Going into armor lock in the video saved his life from that grenade and let him get a triple kill. How is that pointless?

What it will do is shorten the span that someone can just armor lock and sit around and wait to be rescued by his team mates. It brings combat to a halt for a good long while. Now that span can be shortened as attackers can force the player out of armor lock early. Sounds good to me.

All this is contingent on interpreting that moment from the video correctly, of course.

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Important distinction. It will be playlist dependent. If a change proves universally popular, then obviously it will get universal application. Some folks will definitely still want "normal" REACH behavior and they will have that.
Right. That's what I mean, thanks for the clarification.

Arnie

Guys, just hold me please.

Thank you 343, thank you.

Anniversary edition just went way up in my estimations by removing a single feature from something I already own. Did I also see a faster movement speed and over penetration(melee and bullets)? Someone tell me it's true.

GhaleonEB said:
Going into armor lock in the video saved his life from that grenade and let him get a triple kill. How is that pointless?

What it will do is shorten the span that someone can just armor lock and sit around and wait to be rescued by his team mates. It brings combat to a halt for a good long while. Now that span can be shortened as attackers can force the player out of armor lock early. Sounds good to me.

Wow. You totally just convinced me this change is worthwhile in one paragraph. Well done.

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Hey Frankie, I just wanted to say...

Thank you.

If I can't have bloomless weapons on disc maps/campaign/Firefight, blood will be spilled.
:lol

No bloom, fyrewulf meltdown, armor lock balance. It's the video that keeps on giving.

Seriously though cannot wait to try out the bloomless weapons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The TU can't come out soon enough, damn. Our prayers, they're answered! Someone post that Messiah Frankie pic from Sai's dream, stat.

FyreWulff said:
He said most features, and it won't matter if they nerf the scope, there is no point to picking up any other weapon if this is the new global DMR, and they just threw the Reach LAN community under a bus for the sake of pleasing a minority. You won't need to zoom when the aim assist unscoped is good enough. This is just the Halo 2 BR all over again
C'mon. I'm usually okay with your posts, and I've been willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but that's a totally baseless and inflammatory conclusion.

JB1981

GhaleonEB said:

All this is contingent on interpreting that moment from the video correctly, of course.

Right. That's what I mean, thanks for the clarification.

I can see that. He was also playing against reaaallly shitter players too though ;)

Havok

Devolution said:
Now if these also happen: Take lock off banshee bomb, tone down melee and nades. I think I will rejoice.
And nerf the shit out of it to boot. That thing should be a vehicle killer, nothing more. Right now it's the all-purpose weapon that everybody switches to immediately. Those poor normal guns, so neglected :/

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Cool. I actually can't decide how I feel about bloom.

I know that Reach is my favorite multiplayer Halo ever, but I don't know how much of that can be attributed to bloom, if any. Will I like the game more without it? Less?

I want to have the chance to see what suits the game better before having one way chosen across the board.

Thank you 343 words cannot describe how awesome y'all are. My excitement for the Halo franchise being in your hands has increased ten fold now that I have seen that short few seconds of the bloomless DMR.
OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Sweet! So does this mean we might see the current gameplay go Neo-Classic? For example no bloom, nerfed armor lock, baisically what we saw in the video in normal playlists, like Team Slayer for example?

Also I know I feel bad for even asking about this after seeing that wonderful bloomless DMR, but I saw bloom on the AR...is there anything you can say about that?

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Please. give squad slayer the tu stuff. <3.

blamite

FyreWulff said:
Nope. Provide me a video of a disc map bloomless DMR and I'll give it up. So far, all this is still possible with DLC maps.
Dude, look at Frankie's fost above you. These changes CAN be used on all maps. They may not be used right away, but IT'S POSSIBLE.

Havok

Awesome Barlow said:
Also I know I feel bad for even asking about this after seeing that wonderful bloomless DMR, but I saw bloom on the AR...is there anything you can say about that?
That's something that's always existed for automatic weapons in the series. Note that the bloom doesn't expand past the reticule anyway. Providing that information to the player instead of it being a static reticule is a good thing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Once more with feeling, the TU is for Reach. It works on disc maps, DLC and Anniversary maps in exactly the same way.

If you have Reach you'll be prompted to install a small update. Most changes will be invisible to the user and managed at a Matchmaking level. So if you play a post-TU game mode you like, you simply save that game type to inherit all its features for Customs.

This post brought to you by FflameFox.

PIQyE.jpg

This is fucking glorious. Its like Reach was delayed for a year, and we've been playing a beta. Here comes the finished article at last. Halo is back!

I love you 343. You've from what I can tell, fixed reach. I am so hyped to get my hands on it at HaloFest.

I am really curious now of the implementation will be done.

No matter what they do I am happy.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:
Once more with feeling, the TU is for Reach. It works on disc maps, DLC and Anniversary maps in exactly the same way.

If you have Reach you'll be prompted to install a small update. Most changes will be invisible to the user and managed at a Matchmaking level. So if you play a post-TU game mode you like, you simply save that game type to inherit all its features for Customs.

This post brought to you by FflameFox.

PIQyE.jpg

No 6GB.

All maps.

Boom. Greatness.

I knew it was a great idea to stay awake till the Bulletin. Now, I can sleep and have sweet dreams about the TU.

Though I wonder how the general Reach player will react to all this. I hope the majority of the population will embrace the changes (alteast the bloomless DMR, what seems to be the Armor Lock nerf and perhaps meele bleedtrough and nerfed nades). Then add some better maps to the mix and I'll pre-order 5 Halo 4's.

FyreWulff

Devin Olsen said:
No bloom, fyrewulf meltdown, armor lock balance. It's the video that keeps on giving.

Seriously though cannot wait to try out the bloomless weapons.

... meltdown?

Seriously?

We have people in this thread rushing to post "FYREWULFF JUSTICE", "FYREWULFF TAG LOL", and "SUCK IT FYREWULFF" (when I've done my best to keep this whole thing non-personal) when a new video comes out...

I'm calmly expressing my opinion on this reveal and your reaction is to say I'm having a meltdown?

I think I'll just leave you be while I go see if I can actually get on a plane next Thursday. Peace.

Top Bottom