• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
PsychoRaven said:
So having seen that video I have one thing to say. I'm done. 343 has killed Reach and Halo along with it.

Hah, nice trick there. I was like WTF, went to reply, and then laughed my ass off.

I'm getting on Reach to celebrate. GT = popular revolt.

CYCLE.gif

With a few ajustments, it could work :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FyreWulff said:
... meltdown?

Seriously?

We have people in this thread rushing to post "FYREWULFF JUSTICE", "FYREWULFF TAG LOL", and "SUCK IT FYREWULFF" (when I've done my best to keep this whole thing non-personal) when a new video comes out...

I'm calmly expressing my opinion on this reveal and your reaction is to say I'm having a meltdown?

I think I'll just leave you be while I go see if I can actually get on a plane next Thursday. Peace.

Hugs.

So that's interesting.

Maybe HCE style will be one of the options in pots like Team Slayer, or BTB, right alongside Slayer DMRs or Bro Slayer or whatever.

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Important distinction. It will be playlist dependent. If a change proves universally popular, then obviously it will get universal application. Some folks will definitely still want "normal" REACH behavior and they will have that.

So does this mean you guys are totally stealing my idea about an "experimental" playlist.

I demand royalties. Or All Expense Payed trip to Halofest.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Once more with feeling, the TU is for Reach. It works on disc maps, DLC and Anniversary maps in exactly the same way.

If you have Reach you'll be prompted to install a small update. Most changes will be invisible to the user and managed at a Matchmaking level. So if you play a post-TU game mode you like, you simply save that game type to inherit all its features for Customs.
So, no campaign and Firefight support? I have to say, that's kinda disappointing.

It's okay though, Frankie, I still love you.

Karl2177

Tha Robbertster said:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/CYCLE.gif[/IG]

With a few ajustments, it could work :p[/QUOTE]
I just noticed that announcement is spelled incorrectly in this. So...

YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This looks like the Halo game I've been waiting over a year to play. I enjoyed the beta; it had its quirks and the final product went in the opposite direction. Now it looks like it is going in the correct direction. <3

Striker

FyreWulff said:
He said most features, and it won't matter if they nerf the scope, there is no point to picking up any other weapon if this is the new global DMR, and they just threw the Reach LAN community under a bus for the sake of pleasing a minority. You won't need to zoom when the aim assist unscoped is good enough. This is just the Halo 2 BR all over again.
Halo 2 BR still had a range on Coagulation whereas with the DMR you can pinpoint guys further with the help of the scope.

Moving the DMR to 2x zoom and less destructive against vehicles would be excellent, but we'll see.

bloomless dmr, nerfed frags, lasagne cooking in the oven (yep, it's 1.30am, problem?), pulling an all-nighter to complete this paper... life's good right now
let's hope 343 unleashes the TU on xbl soon

Havok said:
That's something that's always existed for automatic weapons in the series. Note that the bloom doesn't expand past the reticule anyway. Providing that information to the player instead of it being a static reticule is a good thing.
Haha on second thought you are right as I think back to Halo 1,2, and 3. I guess my brain just had a meltdown during the excitement that is the lack of bloom.

Now all I want is Neo-Classic Reach, what we saw in that video, to rake the place of current Reach.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
... meltdown?

Seriously?

We have people in this thread rushing to post "FYREWULFF JUSTICE", "FYREWULFF TAG LOL", and "SUCK IT FYREWULFF" (when I've done my best to keep this whole thing non-personal) when a new video comes out...

I'm calmly expressing my opinion on this reveal and your reaction is to say I'm having a meltdown?

I think I'll just leave you be while I go see if I can actually get on a plane next Thursday. Peace.
You've been vociferously telling people what was and was not possible in the TU based on your knowledge of how the game engine works, and have argued at length with people who wanted/hoped/expected things like bloom to be adjusted universally in the TU. You asserted these things as facts not to be debated. Even today after the multiple confirmations of the change and how it spans maps, you have been in denial. You've done this for weeks on end. You have a little egg on your face now.

Personally, I don't care. I am wrong at least as often as I am correct, and am often happy to be so. It's not a big deal. I have no stake in this argument, I'm just happy with what I see and frothing with excitement of what we'll see at HaloFest. But were I in your shoes, I'd expect some ribbing. It should be gentle. And then we should all hug and be happy. Together.

GhaleonEB said:
You've been vociferously telling people what was and was not possible in the TU based on your knowledge of how the game engine works, and have argued at length with people who wanted/hoped/expected things like bloom to be adjusted universally in the TU. You asserted these things as facts not to be debated. Even today after the multiple confirmations of the change and how it spans maps, you have been in denial. You've done this for weeks on end. You have a little egg on your face now.

Personally, I don't care. I have no stake in this argument, I'm just happy with what I see and frothing with excitement of what we'll see at HaloFest. But were I in your shoes, I'd expect some ribbing. It should be gentle. And then we should all hug and be happy. Together.
Platonically, of course.

Sikamikanico said:
This is fucking glorious. Its like Reach was delayed for a year, and we've been playing a beta. Here comes the finished article at last. Halo is back!

Exactly my thoughts. So glad to see the majority of HaloGaf this hyped for Reach/Halo once again. I've been sporting a big fat grin for about 2 pages now :) Oh and that Banshee bomb nerf needs to happen.

edit:
Voltron64 said:
Title update! No BLOOM!
9lflz4.jpg

ROFL

stephen08

I wonder how the removal of bloom was handled specifically though. Was the max firing rate adjusted to be lower? Which reticule is now the limit the inner or outer?

As for the Armor Lock, while I like the concept I am not sold that that is what's happening in the video. It looks to me like he comes out right after the grenade detonates which saps the usage. That's how it is now.

Melee bleed through I'm somewhat conflicted on though. On the one hand it makes the sprint double melee combo less effective which is good but it also reads a lot poorer. I'll have to spend some time with it.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:

Personally, I don't care. I have no stake in this argument, I'm just happy with what I see and frothing with excitement of what we'll see at HaloFest. But were I in your shoes, I'd expect some ribbing. It should be gentle. And then we should all hug and be happy. Together.

I never said they were undebatable. Yes, I do have egg on my face, but when you spend a bunch of time studying an engine and all you get from certain people that have used the dev TU is catty remarks, I was not inclined to change my opinion until actual proof materialized.

I was also told that 343 would totally lock the firing rate with a bloom removal as a counterpoint, they they'd keep it balanced. There'd be no way they would remove bloom without making the weapon fire more slowly.

They haven't done that ;) I'll be sticking to playlists without the SpamMR, thanks. (Although I'm going to laugh if it has the Halo 3 BR spread in it's place)

stephen08 said:
I wonder how the removal of bloom was handled specifically though. Was the max firing rate adjusted to be lower? Which reticule is now the limit the inner or outer?

According to the gameplay video, they made the reticule not move at all. Firing rate is the same.

GhaleonEB

stephen08 said:
Definately some questions here. Just removing bloom with no alterations will result in a laser beam of a weapon on maps like Hemhorrage. I suspect some changes are on tap for how it works at range.

Next Friday. So close, yet so far away.

Will these changes affect MP only, or can we use them in Firefight?

GhaleonEB said:
Definately some questions here. Just removing bloom with no alterations will result in a laser beam of a weapon on maps like Hemhorrage. I suspect some changes are on tap for how it works at range.

Next Friday. So close, yet so far away.

Will these changes affect MP only, or can we use them in Firefight?

I don't see a problem with having a spread-like effect if a person is farther away than x-distance.

SO FUCKING HYPED

Had to watch the DMR segments five times over to confirm what I thought I was seeing. Notice at 3:24 he beats the guy down bleedthrough style. This is great shit from 343, a real statement of intent, a crowd pleaser. Thank you

What also excites me is the fact the bloomless DMR is interspersed with default Reach stuff like sprint. It doesn't make the decision so binary between classic++ (with no AA etc) and default Reach.

The expansion of Beaver Creek is welcome for standard Reach. I thought the additions looked sensible and not too intrusive to the original feel of the map; change can be a good thing when done in the right way.

Fyrewulf, the reaction is caused by the fact that you wouldn't allow people to believe it could be done. When the TU was announced, everybody was enjoying feeding off the giddy energy of speculation in the dark. You provided a flashlight of prosaic scepticism based off of what was thought possible with the code; thing is, you kept blaring it in their faces when most were happy to glow in the dark. Don't take it too personally and be happy that this TU is compatible with all of Reach.

P.S One teensy little thing 343. Could you remove the reticule flare from the sniper in time fot the TU? I'm getting greedy I know but... pretty please?

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
I was also told that 343 would totally lock the firing rate with a bloom removal as a counterpoint, they they'd keep it balanced. There'd be no way they would remove bloom without making the weapon fire more slowly.

They haven't done that ;) I'll be sticking to playlists without the SpamMR, thanks. (Although I'm going to laugh if it has the Halo 3 BR spread in it's place)

According to the gameplay video, they made the reticule not move at all. Firing rate is the same.
I don't think there will be a big issue with the DMR at close or mid range. The method for killing players currently with it is to fire at full speed for all but that last shot anyways. Kill times won't change much, just the frustration of landing the headshot.

The question is how it operates at range. We did not see that. There are many changes that could be made, and you are assuming they have made none, based on, well nothing. I've learned not to make such assumptions.

A DMR without bloom that had otherwise the same funtionality as the current DMR would severely damage ranged combat on maps like Hemhorrage. I doubt they made the alteration to bloom without also making other adjustments to account for how that would affect ranged combat. We will know next Friday. To assume otherwise based on the video we just saw is silly.
Devolution said:
I don't see a problem with having a spread-like effect if a person is farther away than x-distance.
Me neither. It's sort of what I'm expecting. The DMR fires a tiny % of a degree off center, enough to be entirely irrelevent at close to mid range. At 100m? Maybe not.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:
They haven't done that ;) I'll be sticking to playlists without the SpamMR, thanks.

There you go jumping to conclusions based on limited information. You assume that it's an either or situation based on a single video. Let me tell you that it's not. I still won't go into all the specifics because that's a rabbit whole that we're quite frankly not ready to head down.

Like I said earlier, we'll have more information at Halo Fest. A lot more information. If not posting the entire changelist for the TU right here and now is frustrating then all I can say is have a little patience.

GhaleonEB said:
I don't think there will be a big issue with the DMR at close or mid range. The method for killing players currently with it is to fire at full speed for all but that last shot anyways. Kill times won't change much, just the frustration of landing the headshot.

The question is how it operates at range. We did not see that. There are many changes that could be made, and you are assuming they have made none, based on, well nothing. I've learned not to make such assumptions.

A DMR without bloom that had otherwise the same funtionality as the current DMR would severely damage ranged combat on maps like Hemhorrage. I doubt they made the alteration to bloom without also making other adjustments to account for how that would affect ranged combat. We will know on Friday. To assume otherwise based on the video we just saw is silly.

Honestly even with bloom I had no problem pegging people from a distance in Reach. A spread that's based specifically on distance would probably be infinitely better.

lybertyboy said:
There you go jumping to conclusions based on limited information. You assume that it's an either or situation based on a single video. Let me tell you that it's not. I still won't go into all the specifics because that's a rabbit whole that we're quite frankly not ready to head down.

Like I said earlier, we'll have more information at Halo Fest. A lot more information. If not posting the entire changelist for the TU right here and now is frustrating then all I can say is have a little patience.

By the way thanks for the info and stuff lyberty =).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
Honestly even with bloom I had no problem pegging people from a distance in Reach. A spread that's based specifically on distance would probably be infinitely better.

That's a good thing. I don't know why we want to gimp the DMR's range. Let the map design change to fit the DMR, don't shit on a weapon that works.

Top Bottom