• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

About the armor lock thing, TBH i'm looking at it right now, and the one thing that's definite is that the ability get's used up faster. but i'm finding it hard to tell if he got affected by the grenades, the back smack, or he just popped out of armor lock. I guess we shall find out clearly at Halo fest

Tashi0106 said:
That's a good thing. I don't know why we want to gimp the DMR's range. Let the map design change to fit the DMR, don't shit on a weapon that works.

It's not a good thing honestly, it makes for stagnant big team games. I can't count the times I've just pegged people off in hemorrhage or its variations from a distance and done it so quick there is no chance for them to run away or get a chance at firing back.

lybertyboy said:
There you go jumping to conclusions based on limited information. You assume that it's an either or situation based on a single video. Let me tell you that it's not. I still won't go into all the specifics because that's a rabbit whole that we're quite frankly not ready to head down.

Like I said earlier, we'll have more information at Halo Fest. A lot more information. If not posting the entire changelist for the TU right here and now is frustrating then all I can say is have a little patience.

Bloom subtracted from the DMR and added to the sword.

Haha Thanks for all of the info today!

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:
There you go jumping to conclusions based on limited information. You assume that it's an either or situation based on a single video. Let me tell you that it's not. I still won't go into all the specifics because that's a rabbit whole that we're quite frankly not ready to head down.

Like I said earlier, we'll have more information at Halo Fest. A lot more information. If not posting the entire changelist for the TU right here and now is frustrating then all I can say is have a little patience.
Thanks for this. I want to hit cryo for the next nine days.

ElzarTheBam said:
About the armor lock thing, TBH i'm looking at it right now, and the one thing that's definite is that the ability get's used up faster. but i'm finding it hard to tell if he got affected by the grenades, the back smack, or he just popped out of armor lock. I guess we shall find out clearly at Halo fest
Same here bro, I've been wondering that too.

Friday, get over here. Now.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
O hai guys...

*watches video*

9itron.gif

Thank you based 343.

neoism

OuterWorldVoice said:
fixed.

Important distinction. It will be playlist dependent. If a change proves universally popular, then obviously it will get universal application. Some folks will definitely still want "normal" REACH behavior and they will have that.
<3

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
It's not a good thing honestly, it makes for stagnant big team games. I can't count the times I've just pegged people off in hemorrhage or its variations from a distance and done it so quick there is no chance for them to run away or get a chance at firing back.

Sounds like a problem with the insanely wide open map

FyreWulff

lybertyboy said:

Remove bloom on the AR. If these guys are getting their bloomless DMR, I want my bloomless AR :)

And if you aren't ready to show the whole picture, perhaps you should have waited until the rest of the painting was done. As it is, I see a bloomless DMR with no reduction in firing rate. I am not the only one that is working off this information, nor was I the first. First impressions and all that.

As it is, I'll be voting with my participation and simply not playing any playlist with the SpamMR.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
I never said they were undebatable. Yes, I do have egg on my face, but when you spend a bunch of time studying an engine and all you get from certain people that have used the dev TU is catty remarks, I was not inclined to change my opinion until actual proof materialized.

I was also told that 343 would totally lock the firing rate with a bloom removal as a counterpoint, they they'd keep it balanced. There'd be no way they would remove bloom without making the weapon fire more slowly.

They haven't done that ;) I'll be sticking to playlists without the SpamMR, thanks. (Although I'm going to laugh if it has the Halo 3 BR spread in it's place)

According to the gameplay video, they made the reticule not move at all. Firing rate is the same.

You mean all of them right now? lol. Now you can spam it and you actually have to aim and not rely on luck! FANTASTIC!

Teamshotting is now super effective as well. But you can hold your own at the same time. Classic Halo. Good Halo. takemymoney.jpg

Ramirez

I can finally be excited to play Halo again, AMAZING. The changes could be just no bloom and shield bleed through and I would be content, but there's still more to show...!

sheeeeeeit.jpg

Tashi, are you saying removing bloom is catering to casuals? A really dumb statement if true. As Risen has said, it just makes the connection gap larger than it already is, absolutely nothing is added to the gameplay.

Tashi0106 said:

How else are people going to have vehicle shenanigans on big team? Sniper should be taking out individuals not vehicles. DMR shouldn't be as effective at such a long range. Honestly. What is the point of setting out on foot at all. The fact that some random person on either cliff or blue warp can peg you down, in no time flat, at your spawn sucks.

Tawpgun

Awesome Barlow said:
Bloom subtracted from the DMR and added to the sword.

Haha Thanks for all of the info today!

It makes sense.

By the Law of Conservation of Bloom, if bloom is removed, it needs to go somewhere. Bloom can never be created nor destroyed. Only change weapons.

I'm going to do some science to figure out where the bloom went.

(Hypothesis: Bloom went into Armor Lock)

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
You limit the range without breaking anything else. See Halo 2 BR in Coagulation. There wasn't any headshotting from hundred yards away.

Limit to 2x zoom and reduce its strength against vehicles.

FyreWulff said:
They haven't done that ;) I'll be sticking to playlists without the SpamMR, thanks. (Although I'm going to laugh if it has the Halo 3 BR spread in it's place)

If there is no bloom, it's not spamming, it's just shooting. I can't believe 343 finally fixes this game and you are still bitching.

The connection gap is so true. I'm honestly wondering if those defending bloom are lucky enough to retain host or play consistently on good ones. (Or maybe it really is a lot of denial.)

Even on lan it's a joke though. What's wrong with Halo 2 BR exactly? Too effective? Power weapons were still picked up, as was shotty and sword. I'd rather have a weapon that's too effective but consistent and available to everyone, then an inconsistent one.

Karl2177

FyreWulff said:
And if you aren't ready to show the whole picture, perhaps you should have waited until the rest of the painting was done.
Then wait for the art show. We're all peeking in the window, anxious for the full picture. You're being a major downer to those of us who are excited, and there's no way you can argue that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Devolution said:
The connection gap is so true. I'm honestly wondering if those defending bloom are lucky enough to retain host or play consistently on good ones. (Or maybe it really is a lot of denial.)

Even on lan it's a joke though. What's wrong with Halo 2 BR exactly? Too effective? Power weapons were still picked up, as was shotty and sword. I'd rather have a weapon that's too effective but consistent and available to everyone, then an inconsistent one.

People are defending bloom? What next? Defending armor lock and preferring Assault rifle starts?

I for one apologize to the rudeness displayed at lyberty and Frankie. I spout shit all day about what I think sucks and possibly even say shit like "fuckin' god damnit bungie" under my breath in game. But to tell them just how to do their jobs and basically spit in their face while they give us info and insights (when they don't even have to), that's low guys.

Alienshogun said:
People are defending bloom? What next? Defending armor lock and preferring Assault rifle starts?

Read some posts by Tashi and Fyrewulf right now, shit will blow your mind.

Tashi

Ramirez said:
I can finally be excited to play Halo again, AMAZING. The changes could be just no bloom and shield bleed through and I would be content, but there's still more to show...!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/sheeeeeeit.jpg[IMG]

Tashi, are you saying removing bloom is catering to casuals? A really dumb statement if true. As Risen has said, it just makes the connection gap larger than it already is, absolutely nothing is added to the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Ehh I was more just poking fun at everyone celebrating like they just won the fuckin lotto. But as a general statement, mastering bloom requires more skill than not. Learning the rate of fire for different situations, using cover to allow bloom to reset. Things like that. It's not perfect but I really enjoy playing Reach and for the most part, bloom doesn't get in the way of letting me enjoy the game.

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
Ellis I will double what he pays to have forge maps removed from matchmaking
I guess Im confused by this statement. Are you saying you just hate forge maps that are currently in Reach and want them all removed despite all of the forge communities and groups that exist that have worked so hard to get them there? ...or are you saying you just want them removed out of core playlists and segregated into their own playlists?

Hopefully the latter. Im not sure what benefit you would gain by having them ALL removed from matchmaking in every playlist (even in the future) besides the argument of splitting up the player base. Don't get me wrong, Im with you man. I get tired of the grey as much as the next person... but I was referring to a new forge map which would bring some freshness to the forge feature.

No community maps playlist? Fuck it CC, let's shut it down. : /

Tashi0106 said:
Ehh I was more just poking fun at everyone celebrating like they just won the fuckin lotto. But as a general statement, mastering bloom requires more skill than not. Learning the rate of fire for different situations, using cover to allow bloom to reset. Things like that. It's not perfect but I really enjoy playing Reach and for the most part, bloom doesn't get in the way of letting me enjoy the game.

I enjoy the game by killing people via shooting. If I have to shoot double the amount of bullets, and or get cut down faster by a spammer even while i'm PACING MY BULLETS LIKE A GOOD PLAYER DOES, I am obviously not killing people, thus not having fun. Worst part is, it's not my fault.

Karl2177

Devolution said:
I enjoy the game by killing people via shooting. If I have to shoot double the amount of bullets, and or get cut down faster by a spammer even while i'm PACING MY BULLETS LIKE A GOOD PLAYER DOES, I am obviously not killing people, thus not having fun. Worst part is, it's not my fault.
Twice the bullets, twice the fun!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FyreWulff said:
And if you aren't ready to show the whole picture, perhaps you should have waited until the rest of the painting was done.

We will open it to a vote:

People who want us to provide information the FyreWulff way: &#9633;
People who want us to do things the way we are doing them: &#9633;

Devolution said:

It really is. Playing against peeps on the other side of the world gets ridiculous. I play in the day (when the player pool is primarily European) and the cadence for the DMR at different ranges remains consistent. Playing at night? End up spamming after a few games because the DMR behaves completley differently and is an exercise in frustration.

Latency will always exist. Bloom just made it so you had to shoot your gun half the speed of the host and those near the host to exact the same effectiveness. At least with bloom gone you know where you stand with how many shots are left to kill you in what time.

Also, with the news that a forge pallete will exist with every map, perhaps something like Timberlands or an as yet unannounced map will double up as a blank canvass to create maps on, maps that don't suffer from dreadful framerate problems...

^

People who want 343 to do things the way 343 are doing them: [TICKED]

Blinding

Bloom is inconsistent, removing bloom makes the game consistent which in turn makes the game leans more towards the more skilled players and teams winning (but of course, it is Live, and bullshit happens on Live all the time.)

OuterWorldVoice said:

People who want us to do things the way we are doing them: &#9633;&#8730;

Tashi

Devolution said:

Why don't we have the same issues? I admit that once in a while someone shoots really fast at mid range and dominates me and I wonder how he did that. Also, you should pace your shots in certain situations, not all.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:

I vote for the way you are doing them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
OuterWorldVoice said:

Do it which ever way involves Bacon flavored booze.

Tashi0106 said:
Why don't we have the same issues? I admit that once in a while someone shoots really fast at mid range and dominates me and I wonder how he did that. Also, you should pace your shots in certain situations, not all.

If it's about pacing it sometimes and not all the time, just what is the point of its introduction? Why does it change depending on whose host it is? Why introduce such an inconsistent mechanic? It's better left by the wayside and I can't believe people are still defending its implementation.

Obviously I'm fine with whatever tidbits Frankie/lyberty want to tell us and how they go about it. =) The fact that they're still in here even after all of our complaining is awesome.

Dear Frankie

We have been friends for so long now, i remember back when you used to write them halo orientated blogs for me on that bungie site, ahh the days.

I figure you struggling over at 343 to finalize you ideas for the title update, i even hear rumours you guys have capped it at a shockingly low 6GB! Unacceptable.

I have very graciously devoted my time and effort in to providing you my greatest gift, my mind. In the image above you will see i have (with masterful craftsmanship i might say) documented my proposed additions for halo reach.

No no please dont feel bad utilizing my provided work i give it to you and the studio free of charge and expect nothing... thats right NOTHING in return.

P.S no joke.

P.P.S I do actually expect all your and your workmates unborn childrens souls

P.P.P.S Do this and ill fly to 343 and .. well lets just say ill give the word "hump"day a very new meaning.

OuterWorldVoice said:

*raises both hands*

Just watched the video again and wow at how deadly accurate the DMR is now. Also is it me or does it seem as if the AR has a bit more of a kick to it as well? Would kind of make sense considering the impact that a change of this magnitude would have on the overall weapon sandbox. And lol at the sheer jubilation taking place within the MLG forums.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:

I think here is the main problem with it, there's such a gray line on where you should spam, or where you should pace. Then there are times when a guy is far away from you, spams and kills you anyways, it's a terribly inconsistent mechanic, and to me, it's just plain not fun.

On another note, I just want to thank the guys at 343 for listening to the (probably?) vocal minority and giving us these options. Coming from people who were so stubborn they wouldn't even add another bullet to the Pistol clip, this is a breath of fresh air that the series needed. :)

Oh, and obviously keep feeding us the info as it's done now, it's better than none at all. None of the guys from Bungie/343/any other dev HAVE to talk to the community like this, it just further proves how ignorant some posters are.

xxxstylzxxx said:
And lol at the sheer jubilation taking place within the MLG forums.

Oh really? They like it? Hmm Tashi....

Ramirez said:
I think here is the main problem with it, there's such a gray line on where you should spam, or where you should pace. Then there are times when a guy is far away from you, spams and kills you anyways, it's a terribly inconsistent mechanic, and to me, it's just plain not fun.

This. So much this. I basically have to come into every new game and figure out how I am going to fire the DMR at my opponents. And there are games I can just not compensate for the inconsistency or the spamming.

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:

One thing I loved about Bungie is just how cryptic they could be. I felt that "OH COME OOOOOOOON SHOW US MORE!" Feeling and loved it. They knew how to hype their game and you guys are carrying that tradition.

<3<4<3

I can't wait for Halofest, just a few more sleeps!! I'm so glad I decided to go to PAX this year. Now all we need to see is a Pistol, warthog, and focus rifle buff and a Banshee nerf for me to not sleep until TU releases.

On a sidenote, I really believe Bungie would've made these changes with a TU if 343 wasn't taking over but unfortunately they knew 343 would be taking the reigns and focused resources elsewhere while we waited for the transition.

Oh well I'm pumped for 343i and that they have the M$ budget to make us fans happy! Keep it up Franklez and Co.!

Top Bottom