• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Sai-kun

Banned
Syracuse022 said:
I lol'd. Also, I hadn't even watched the video yet and I couldn't resist highlighting the spoiler.

Anybody else notice the rainbow in Beaver Creek? Leprechaun Easter Egg confirmed? I want dat gold.

My dream of having a rainbow armor effect is one step closer to being realized....

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Good games Woorloog! Sorry about kind of blowing you up with the laser. :)

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
I really like the amount of color inside the Beaver Creek bases. It looks like you'll easily be able to tell what side you're on.

Yup. That's a very good thing too. That would be the one complaint I always had with that map. You could never tell what base you were in at times.

ncsuDuncan said:
Terminal spoiler:
It's quite possible the map variants in these public demos have been sprinkled with extra power weapons for the unskilled masses/media.

Just look at how terrible the people are in that shotgun video. They aren't going to have as much fun with normal DMR battles as us Walshy-level pros.
This is what I'm hoping for. An exaggerated variant for people to play in a very non-competitive atmosphere.

Devolution said:
Seconding this. Zanzibar and all other iterations can stay dead.
I don't think that's what Striker meant.

Zanzibar was the quintessential 1-flag map.

Last Resort had scaling issues, the base was too open and the fighting became too concentrated around the power transformers. It felt like it was expanded to accomodate 8v8, but lost the 4v4 magic of the original.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
Pick one and only one. If you dare:

Relic, Standoff, Headlong, Sidewinder, Terminal, Waterworks.
Waterworks. Just too many great vehicular moments for me not to.

But I'm torn between that and Headlong. A great 1-sided BTB map is something Reach needs. I'll be delighted with either.

Bregmann Roche said:
Someone else who loves Standoff??? I thought I was the only one!
I loved Standoff. Very flexible map with great encounter distances. And the decision design around the idea of the sniper not being on it made it play very well. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much was the sniper wasn't shoehorned into a map where it doesn't work.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Sai-kun said:
My dream of having a rainbow armor effect is one step closer to being realized....
How exactly would the rainbow effect work? A rainbow arcing around the helmet? Glowing rainbow? Rainbow blood?

neoism

Letters said:
http://neogaf.spreadshirt.com/letters-01-aa-A7906270/customize/color/2
Direct link to my American Apparel shirt
9blyxi.jpg
purple all over meh face. :p

FyreWulff

Syracuse022 said:
I lol'd. Also, I hadn't even watched the video yet and I couldn't resist highlighting the spoiler.

Anybody else notice the rainbow in Beaver Creek? Leprechaun Easter Egg confirmed? I want dat gold.

Take a look

it's in a book

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
Pick one and only one. If you dare:

Relic, Standoff, Headlong, Sidewinder, Terminal, Waterworks.
It'd really be impossible to choose between Headlong and Waterworks. They are both fantastic maps. I'd have to go with Headlong because Reach doesn't have a good 1-flag map. But then Waterworks is the best 2-flag and is also good for slayer.

neoism

MrBig said:
It'd really be impossible to choose between Headlong and Waterworks. They are both fantastic maps. I'd have to go with Headlong because Reach doesn't have a good 1-flag map. But then Waterworks is the best 2-flag and is also good for slayer.
I have to tell you I'd go for WW I personally don't care for either. I only played about 500 games of H2 online... I was fucking poor poor pooor then. So I didn't even get online til 06. I most definitely enjoyed WWs more. The Glitches on Headlong was to much. They could go wild with an awesome sky-box with the opening in the top of WW, besides I think Reach has enough "human" buildings in the maps. I dislike Condemned, and Anchor 9...BCreek looks ridiculous though... so fucking beautiful.

neoism

HiredN00bs said:
I thought about playing some Halo soundtrack tunes on the ride home from work today, but I just turned on the radio and Blam! except it was really this shittier version.
I know most hate this band, but they're personally my favorite band ever..... Sad they broke up this past month... :( loved everyone of their albums... :/

Dear HaloGaffers,

I have to apologize. Today I saw the classic Level “343 Guilty Spark” at an event. I was so amazed how the level looks like and had to share you some screens. But sometimes you do bad things. And I did a bad thing today. I hyped you and posted only two awful pics. I feel sorry about this. When I came home, my dog did his sad puppy face and I know he hates me for that, what I did. He represents your feelings. You saw the level in a awful picture. A pic, that doesn’t show how awesome the level looks like. So do me a favor GAF. Forget it. Please forget it. The level looks so much better. Can you remember the feeling you had after seeing James Cameron’s Avatar? How amazed you were, because of his created world? Damn. If you can remember, you know, which feeling I had, when I saw Guilty Spark. Now I’m sorry, that my two pics don’t represent this feeling. So please forgive me. Forget what you saw and when you see or play this level the first time. Please let it be your first time. If you can’t see it in person, you don’t know what you will miss.

About your HaloGAF shirt, Letters. Two people asked me for a pic. One woman said: “Oh my man have to see that, if not, he’s gonna be mad, when I describe it.” And a lot of guys said, that the shirt is funny/awesome. I love it.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. That's a very good thing too. That would be the one complaint I always had with that map. You could never tell what base you were in at times.
Beaver Creek always had lights that lit up the bases inside. How could you get lost inside red base with red lighting everywhere?

Devolution said:
Seconding this. Zanzibar and all other iterations can stay dead.
Erm, not exactly my thoughts. Asymmetric maps are terrific for 1-flag and 1-bomb, and I loved those in Halo 2. It's just they have gone down the shitter in Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

Last Resort was the ugly kid brother of Zanzibar.

Greetings from Space! Err the beach

zpQbul.jpg

Camping in penticton right now, doing my best to keep up to this monster thread. CEA looks great, cannot wait for HaloFest!

blamite

Hypertrooper said:
Dear HaloGaffers,

I have to apologize. Today I saw the classic Level “343 Guilty Spark” at an event. I was so amazed how the level looks like and had to share you some screens. But sometimes you do bad things. And I did a bad thing today. I hyped you and posted only two awful pics. I feel sorry about this. When I came home, my dog did his sad puppy face and I know he hates me for that, what I did. He represents your feelings. You saw the level in a awful picture. A pic, that doesn’t show how awesome the level looks like. So do me a favor GAF. Forget it. Please forget it. The level looks so much better. Can you remember the feeling you had after seeing James Cameron’s Avatar? How amazed you were, because of his created world? Damn. If you can remember, you know, which feeling I had, when I saw Guilty Spark. Now I’m sorry, that my two pics don’t represent this feeling. So please forgive me. Forget what you saw and when you see or play this level the first time. Please let it be your first time. If you can’t see it in person, you don’t know what you will miss.

About your HaloGAF shirt, Letters. Two people asked me for a pic. One woman said: “Oh my man have to see that, if not, he’s gonna be mad, when I describe it.” And a lot of guys said, that the shirt is funny/awesome. I love it.
Appology accepted. :D
Supplied by Blimblim in the CEA thread on the Gaming side thread.

Oh, and watch out, if you want to avoid Terminal spoilers, when Dan first starts mentioning them, know that a clip starts a few seconds later.

Did I say how awesome Battle Canyon is? Argh. No one could beat me on it! My K/D spree was everytime 8+. Learn how to play Halo, 343i.

Yeah Damnation. Forget it. Two times a guy beat me. Two times. Damn. Damn it. I fucking hate grenades.

Hypertrooper said:
Dear HaloGaffers,

Can you explain how the level reminded you of Dances with Wolves? I am confused.

blamite said:
Appology accepted. :D
Supplied by Blimblim in the CEA thread on the Gaming side thread.
Oh man. I hope BlimBlim feels sorry, what he did. I hope Microsoft feel sorry, what they did. I hope 343i feel sorry, what they did. And I hope you feel sorry for seeing this level via a off-screen video. My words. My words.

Captain Blood said:
Can you explain how the level reminded you of Dances with Wolves? I am confused.
Dances with Wolves=Avatar? If so, the level looks awesome. I would even say better than Gears Of War 3. For me there are no words to describe it.

feel

Hypertrooper said:
Thank you for this, so nice to read. :)

And don't worry about the 343gs stuff, blimblim is delivering the goods in the other thread!

Hypertrooper said:
Oh man. I hope BlimBlim feels sorry, what he did. I hope Microsoft feel sorry, what they did. I hope 343i feel sorry, what they did. And I hope you feel sorry for seeing this level via a off-screen video. My words. My words.

Honestly, I can live with myself, it might not be as glorious as it looks in person but it still looks AMAZING.

That said I REALLY hate how much emphasize they keep putting on the Pistol being awesome. It feels like they just dont understand why the Pistol was so loved. Feels like a kick in the teeth. :/

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:

Dances with Wolves=Avatar? If so, the level looks awesome. I would even say better than Gears Of War 3. For me there are no words to describe it.
The level was already shown in the announcement trailer. Old stuff. Nothing really new.

MrBig said:
The level was already shown in the announcement trailer. Old stuff. Nothing really new.
Only for a few seconds.

Otherwise I wanted to know, who filmed me, when I dominated on Battle Canyon. I want that clip.

Homeboyd

Im_So_Pringles said:
I bet you the Easter Egg in Beaver Creek is Urk running around in leprechaun clothes yelling "They're always after me lucky charms!"
I laughed. I cried.

Miss you.

12 hour workdays can suck my balls. #stealthpity

ncsuDuncan said:
I doubt Beaver Creek is a Forge canvas. Sure, there are some rocks you can delete, but I don't think it's anything like Forge World.

Besides, if there was a new Forge canvas in CEA wouldn't they want to save it for a big reveal closer to launch?

There are still two maps we haven't seen yet, it's likely we'll see one of them at HaloFest. A new Forge canvas would be fantastic, but if not, the news that the old Forge World will be able to play the Classic ++ gametypes is still comforting.

We could theoretically have a Reach playlist with the following maps:

CEA
Battle Creek
Damnation
Hang 'em High
Timberlands
Mystery Classic Map #1
Mystery Classic Map #2

Reach Vanilla
Reflection
Asylum
Pinnacle
Hemorrhage

Reach Team Classic
Lockout (Eclipse)
Rat Race (Rat Trap)
Wizard (Magus)
Elongation (Prolonged)
Derelict (Dreadnought)
Midship (Prophet)

16 classic maps, assuming the two mystery maps don't overlap with more of these Forge remakes. Of course, a new Forge canvas with a stable framerate would allow for more remakes (and better versions of the above Forge maps). I'd also be happy with some kind of patch/fix for Forge World's framerate (unlikely, but you never know).

Way behind on this, but what if Waterworks is a new canvas? Completely cleared out, it's a massive empty cavern, with forgeable stalactites, the middle area (including that weird forerunner hammer/pump thing at the top of the map) is removed and the water's covered up with some smoother organic terrain, etc.

Top Bottom