• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
Unless MLG has your mindset of not wanting to drastically change the infrastructure of their system, I would be very surprised if MLG kept bloom.

Well it seems like the fans hate bloom. We'll see what the pros think. Even if bloom is removed, I'm just going to learn and adapt(ion) It doesn't make a difference in the end. I'm still going to play the best I can and try to improve.

Ram said:
lol, ok.

Trust me Tashi, I'm more than capable of understanding how bloom works. (and doesn't work)

Why do you keep going to the smarts thing? It has nothing to do with that. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to call everyone stupid but that wasn't my intention at all. I'm just saying there's a difference between figuring it out and doing it on consistent basis. I'm lost right now bro, I really don't know where you're coming from with this. Does it make sense for me to call you stupid Ram? I've played a bunch of games with you for a couple years now, I know you're not stupid.

ElRenoRaven

omg.kittens said:
I don't think it's overpowered as is, but I am concerned about it now that bloom is gone (halle-fuckin-lujah). I agree with those who say its range should be nerfed. Reduce the scope to 2x, maybe slow the firing speed a tiny bit, and I'll be 100% happy. Otherwise, with bloom gone and everything else the same, I'll be 95% happy. :)

I'd be ok with that. I think those are the biggest things that bother me about it. The scope of course is the biggest one. With a slower firing rate you couldn't spam it so much and the scope would go a long way toward making it fit it's role better I think which of course is a medium range weapon. As is it fires fast enough to be spammed up close and with that scope it can battle it out with a damn sniper rifle if you are good enough.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
We'll see what the pros think.

Roy and Ogre 2 are the ones that are being vocal against the removal of bloom, but they're also using the logic that removing it is going to remove the skill gap, where as it's way more likely that skill that went towards pacing and controller bloom will transfer over to things like strafe, positioning, etc. It'll make the game much more consistent, which in turn should lead to a bigger skill gap.

feel

Hi future Letters!!

(Years from now someone will bump these posts to humiliate tashi :lol )

Blinding said:
Roy and Ogre 2 are the ones that are being vocal against the removal of bloom, but they're also using the logic that removing it is going to remove the skill gap, where as it's way more likely that skill that went towards pacing and controller bloom will transfer over to things like strafe, positioning, etc. It'll make the game much more consistent, which in turn should lead to a bigger skill gap.
WTF, do these guys even have a clue of what they're talking about?? With their insane aiming skills they will start destroying people in no-bloom gameplay even more than they do now.

Tawpgun

Blinding said:
The MLG gameplay I've watched is like ALL spamming. But I guess if you're teamshotting spamming works in your favor.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
We will open it to a vote:

People who want us to provide information the FyreWulff way: □
People who want us to do things the way we are doing them: X

Hope you guys are feeling some warm fuzzies. You're earned them.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Why do you keep going to the smarts thing? It has nothing to do with that. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to call everyone stupid but that wasn't my intention at all. I'm just saying there's a difference between figuring it out and doing it on consistent basis. I'm lost right now bro, I really don't know where you're coming from with this. Does it make sense for me to call you stupid Ram? I've played a bunch of games with you for a couple years now, I know you're not stupid.

Because to me, it read as a smarts thing. You compare it to a 3 point shot, that's physical, bloom is a videogame mechanic, one that you have to wrap your brain around in the first place to understand its intended purpose.

If you didn't mean it that way, then cool. That's just how I interpreted it.

Tashi

Blinding said:

That's interesting. I still think there's a large emphasis on positioning and things other than the actually 1v1 battle in Halo. Hmmm I've always thought of myself as someone who doesn't have a great shot but have good awareness and positioning and that that is why I'm good. I feel like with Reach, I have to focus more on getting the kill even after I maybe have the first 2 shots or so. I've out BR'd and have been out BR'd many times in Reach.

LOL Ram, as dumb as it sounds, there's a physical part to Halo. I know moving joysticks and pressing buttons isn't the same as throwing a football or shooting a basketball but it's still hand eye coordination. Whatever, if you're done arguing, I'm done too.

"Let's hug it out bitch"

let_s-hug-it-out-bitch-7.jpg

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
Finally watched the video.

Was it just me, or did the DMR seem like the aim magnetism was turned down?

Also, I loved how the film was made up of several different games. I'm on to your shenanigans, David. :^)
I didn't notice it, but that is one of the ways to adjust the DMR to account for the lack of bloom. I was thinking of the variables they could adjust to counter the removal of bloom:

aim assist reduction
accuracy at range
scope reduction
firing speed

I'm guessing we'll see the first two.

PooBone

First time I've played in weeks and I get four games full of quitters and silent randoms. GAH!!!!

EDIT: Also, FUCK that automatic weapon challenge.

EDIT 2: Fuck bloom.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:

Hope you guys are feeling some warm fuzzies. You're earned them.
Seriously. If it isn't obvious from my total jubilation, I'm really impressed by how attentive 343 is being to the concerns of the vocal minority (lulz), while also maintaining the core Reach gameplay for those who do like it. It's a really intelligent solution, and shows how well 343 understands the franchise and its fanbase.
PooBone said:
First time I've played in weeks and I get four games full of quitters and silent randoms. GAH!!!!
I'm hopping on now, let's party up.

Tashi

GhaleonEB said:
I didn't notice it, but that is one of the ways to adjust the DMR to account for the lack of bloom. I was thinking of the variables they could adjust to counter the removal of bloom:

aim assist reduction
accuracy at range
scope reduction
firing speed

I'm guessing we'll see the first two.

I would think we'd see a locked firing rate above anything else. If they're going to remove bloom they might as well turn it in to the BR we never got. No spread, locked firing rate, awesome range and accuracy.

edit: Oh and a 4 shot gun

PooBone

Tashi0106 said:
I would think we'd see a locked firing rate above anything else. If they're going to remove bloom they might as well turn it in to the BR we never got. No spread, locked firing rate, awesome range and accuracy.
Hell yeah.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
Thing is, I don't think a pinpoint weapon with a 3x scope like the DMR has now is good for MP. It's a nightmare on Hemhorrage as it is, and without bloom people will be eviscerated if other changes are not added. The firing cadence seemed pretty quick. So I think there needs to be a reduction in accuracy at (long) range, or a reduction in the scope to 2x. I'd be happy with either; most would probably prefer the latter if they had to pick one.

Tashi

GhaleonEB said:
Thing is, I don't think a pinpoint weapon with a 3x scope like the DMR has now is good for MP. It's a nightmare on Hemhorrage as it is, and without bloom people will be eviscerated if other changes are not added. The firing cadence seemed pretty quick. So I think there needs to be a reduction in accuracy at (long) range, or a reduction in the scope to 2x. I'd be happy with either; most would probably prefer the latter if they had to pick one.

I haven't played a lot of BTB, everyone knows that. I can say though that for medium-small sized maps, I adore the DMR and the 3x zoom. It helps me take out players who aren't aware of where they are and I can weaken them or kill them if they're caught sleeping. It really shrinks the map and forces you to think about the entire map and not just your section or side.

Ok so why did these maps previously work in old Halo games and not Halo Reach? Halo 2 BR had hit scan but shit range, especially online. The bullet spread didn't help its case either. In Halo 3, there was no hitscan so it was difficult to hit players across the map with the BR. Suddenly in Halo Reach, the standard rifle has no spread, and has longer range and shots register at a much higher %. Is it fair to expect these maps to play the same? Ascension sucks too. Shit, on Reflection, instead of doing tough jumps or taking certain routes, you can just jetpack to any height. I get where you're coming from but I just love the DMR so much, I think it would be best to design maps around the new gameplay rather than change the gameplay to fit the old maps. Or did I completely miss your point? lol

edit: I was just thinking too, will the new melee complaints be, "He was no shields, I was half shields(or whatever it takes for the melee bleeding to kill) and we traded kills with simultaneous melee!! WTF 343!!" :lol

Letters said:
YOUSHUTTHEFUCKUP/lukesmith
Just suggesting ways the DMR could be balanced without bloomed. Personally, I've never had a problem with recoil. Though, when I say recoil, I mean that if you fire the gun too fast, it slowly drifts upward.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Dax01 said:
Just suggesting ways the DMR could be balanced without bloomed. Personally, I've never had a problem with recoil. Though, when I say recoil, I mean that if you fire the gun too fast, it slowly drifts upward.
It's my least favorite out of the options discussed in this thread. I don't want to have to fight my gun to maintain accuracy -- that's why I hate bloom.

Why are people so concerned about the bloomless dmr breaking hemorrhage? They already said there will be classic reach gameplay in certian playlists. If the map doesn't work without bloom, do you really think they would put it in a bloomless playlist?

Merguson

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
Why are people so concerned about the blommless dmr breaking hemorrhage? They already said there will be classic reach gameplay in certian playlists. If the map doesn't work without bloom, do you really think they would put it in a bloomless playlist?

Can't break what is already broken.

You know what, I've been playing a lot of Reach tonight and I can't even get mad at the game anymore, knowing that the TU is on the horizon. It's kinda weird.

Bread

Banned
Not sure if this has been asked or talked about yet, but do we know if crouching will still have an effect on DMR shooting?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Real Napsta said:
Why are people so concerned about the bloomless dmr breaking hemorrhage? They already said there will be classic reach gameplay in certian playlists. If the map doesn't work without bloom, do you really think they would put it in a bloomless playlist?

Serious question?

Is Countdown in BTB?

Tashi

-Yeti said:
Can I get in on this late-night singing session?

EDIT: Damn you Auto-Correct! Meant to say "donging".
Ohhhhh donging ohhhhhhhhhhhhh donginngggg. I had a girlllll and donging was her name. Since she left meeee, i've never played the same. Lol

Nutter

Tashi does play a playlist which by default is making your shots hurt 10% more than normal.
So I can see why he isn't bothered by bloom. Also im sure he just does not want to change up the formula he has gotten use to for MLG since he is now taking part in the whole MLG tourneys and such.

Sai-kun

Banned
I...I came home from work...to find that Halo has no bloom, they changed armor lock, and there is melee bleedthrough?

343 I...I...I don't even...

tumblr_lp1moqYS9C1qd507eo1_500.gif

I love you, 343. There. I said it. I love you.

2lue99w.gif

Tashi

Nutter said:
Tashi does play a playlist which by default is making your shots hurt 10% more than normal.
So I can see why he isn't bothered by bloom. Also im sure he just does not want to change up the formula he has gotten use to for MLG since he is now taking part in the whole MLG tourneys and such.
Is that true? I didn't even know that lol. It's still a 5 shot weapon, 4 to drop shields. 3 body shots after shields drop to kill.

Well not just because I'm competing now because everyone else has to adjust too. It's been almost a year now, I'm used to it completely.

Top Bottom