• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ohhh there was bloom?! Then there was no fun had at all, I'm sure of it.

I'm just being a jerk, don't mind me. :p

Nahhh I was better off not getting in there, I'm sure there were other BTB fans waiting to get in.

Edit: my bad tawpgun, i have some noobs waiting on me to accept their requests, ill just delete them and then you can add me.

Kibbles

PsychoRaven said:
Ugh I just can't stop watching that demo. 343 Guilty Spark looks a hell of a lot better then I ever thought it could.

I really am thinking Anniversary is looking damn great looking graphically. I dare say one of the best looking Halo games I've seen.
It really does. It's almost reminiscent of Avatar.

How funny would it be if in customs in future games you could play a song over the game. My bf was playing turntable at the same time I was playing customs. Some hilarious stuff was playin'.

Tashi0106 said:
I just don't want such a drastic change. It's not like I didn't love Halo 2 or 3.
I heard invasion is going to run reach pre TU settings. So you can always stick with that if you don't like the TU. Lol ;)

Tunavi

Banned
Thanks for letting me host customs. Without the DLC I didn't have much to work with, but my goal was to keep it focused on competitive gunplay. Vehicles usually just lead to frustration, mini-games get boring, I tried to keep it sprint only when I remembered, and I didn't want many forge world maps either.

I had a lot of fun, didn't rage once. lol

Can someone render this clip? My favorite moment of the night.

edit: thanks wulff!

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
Thanks for letting me host customs. Without the DLC I didn't have much to work with, but my goal was to keep it focused on competitive gunplay. Vehicles usually just lead to frustration, mini-games get boring, I tried to keep it sprint only when I remembered, and I didn't want many forge world maps either.

Sounds like you guys had a blast. Watched a bit on stream. Then I decided hell try a big team battle. I imediately remembered why I don't play it. First and last game in and 4 team members quit right off the bat. I then just watched that demo and the stream.

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Ugh I just can't stop watching that demo. 343 Guilty Spark looks a hell of a lot better then I ever thought it could.

I really am thinking Anniversary is looking damn great looking graphically. I dare say one of the best looking Halo games I've seen.
Huge reliance on normals, super contrast, abnormal terrain. It looks fantastic and I love the bright colors and hand drawn textures but I disagree. Much too busy overall, another case of adding detail for the sake of adding detail. Smooth forerunner architecture replaced with randomly contoured shapes, lines, and patterns. I have many gripes about those types of changes and the thoughts behind them.

FyreWulff

Tunavi said:

Renderin'

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
Huge reliance on normals, super contrast, abnormal terrain. It looks fantastic and I love the bright colors and hand drawn textures but I disagree. Much too busy overall, another case of adding detail for the sake of adding detail. Smooth forerunner architecture replaced with randomly contoured shapes, lines, and patterns. I have many gripes about those types of changes and the thoughts behind them.

Well we will have to agree to disagree then. You have to remember that the original game was limited graphically for several reasons. Here and there you can see some good detail but most of the time it was lacking any and for good reason.

Also go take a look at other games in the series. As it went on Bungie added more and more details. Hell look at Halo 3. Look at the details when you're going into the control room to fire the halo. Huge difference from the first game. It's filled with details like that.

Also I like seeing it more alive. I noticed the bugs flying around and loved the growth and plants. The one thing I didn't like was that ok this Halo has sit vacated for years. You would think some of the vegetation and plants would have grown over and down into the structure too. These abandoned locations just look too recent and less long forgotten. That's honestly been my one complaint graphically about the series from the beginning but shit something that minor doesn't count against it one bit in my opinion.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
I feel some of the forerunner stuff could be toned down.

The other thing is its a lot brighter. Not sure how much they can change now but if they can make the fog more dense or make it darker it could be better.

Looks amazing so far though.

Tunavi said:

Clutchin' flags. I would say nbd, but I am kind of a big deal.

nbd

Bread

Banned
Tunavi said:

dat dmr :p

heckfu

Banned
Tunavi said:

hell yes i made it in the clip.

Tunavi

Banned
Bread said:
note I had less than 10 seconds to take out david, grab the flag for sudden death. I spammed because I had to (and won!).

by the way guys YOU WERE ALL DEAD. really? 6 x's on my screen is not very comforting lol

MrBig

PsychoRaven said:
Also go take a look at other games in the series. As it went on Bungie added more and more details. Hell look at Halo 3 and the new Halo. Look at the details when you're going into the control room to fire the halo. Huge difference from the first game. It's filled with details like that.
Completely missed my point. I'm not going to argue it, because I do think the game looks good, but learn a bit about design some time. Everything should have a reason I see all this random detail and it makes me frustrated from an artistic standpoint when I cannot fathom a reason for adding detail where there is no reason for it to be there.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Tunavi said:
note I had less than 10 seconds to take out david, grab the flag for sudden death. I spammed because I had to (and won!).

by the way guys YOU WERE ALL DEAD. really? 6 x's on my screen is not very comforting lol

Pffft, selective editing.

Why you cut out my overkill?

MrBig said:
Completely missed my point. I'm not going to argue it, because I do think the game looks good, but learn a bit about design some time. Everything should have a reason I see all this random detail and it makes me frustrated from an artistic standpoint when I cannot fathom a reason for adding detail where there is no reason for it to be there.

Details can enhance an artistic concept but I'd rather have plain as day maps that play well over something pretty.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:

No I see your point. Sometimes there isn't any reason other then it looks cool. Also you know trying to talk down to people doesn't help your argument one bit. A condescending attitude really just makes you look like an ass.

Devolution said:
Details can enhance an artistic concept but I'd rather have plain as day maps that play well over something pretty.

Now when it comes to multiplayer I agree with you. This being single player though I really don't see it hurting the game one bit.

ZZMitch

omg.kittens said:
Two map packs, with five MP maps and one Firefight map between them.

And an upcoming title update which we just got solid details on today. Check out the most recent few pages in this thread to catch up. :) The TU should be out by the time Halo:CE Anniversary comes out in November.

No bloom... OMG

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
K Tawp and Tunavi you guys can hit me with those FR's now. I'm sitting here waiting to accept.

And shit Ellis got an overkill on you guys? I should have accepted Bagel's invite when I had the chance :p

edit: NY Devo

Sean P.

MrBig said:

Details can be added for interest.

Also your attitude is very "yea I learned something about design let me shove it in your face"

lybertyboy

Tashi0106 said:
And shit Ellis got an overkill on you guys? I should have accepted Bagel's invite when I had the chance :p

It was the closest thing I had to a highlight all evening.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
One thing I forgot to ask with that age question before. Where are all of you located =).

stout31.gif

5 out of 8 people will instantly see Hooker County. I'm way over on the Beast Coast of Nebraska in Omaha

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/img/counties/stout31.gif[img]

[spoiler]Way over on the Beast Coast of Nebraska in Omaha[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

You know I honestly had to look for that. If anything Hitch-cock caught my attention oddly enough. Maybe it's because I'm tired. I think it's time to go to bed.

*edit* Whoa one last look and I caught cuming. You have one dirty dirty state.

Tunavi

Banned
just watched the bloomless gameplay, then went to juices screen. ew bloom makes me want to vomit.

also, on that map i see butt, cock, ass, johnson, cuming, homeboyd, frankie, gaga, and pwn. damn what a state.

I'm from Bay Area/Austin Texas. I'm sure I've bragged about it like 14000 times in this thread though

feel

MrBig said:
The exact same kind of forerunner interiors from Halo 1 show up in halo 3 looking extremely more detailed (the indoor sections of the last level of Halo 3 for example), Bungie intended for them to look more detailed than what they were able to show on xbox 1 hardware (of course they weren't thinking of the HD future when developing Halo CE, but that's how these things go). It would be weird for 343 go back to simplistic grey walls in the current gen HD version of Halo 1.

That being said, I don't think there will be a single area in Anniversary that looks better than the Classic counterpart, but I'm happy to play my favorite game ever in a different skin that looks "incorrect", but very beautiful in its own way!

heckfu

Banned
Tunavi said:
I'm from Bay Area/Austin Texas. I'm sure I've bragged about it like 14000 times in this thread though

Dude, I'm from Birmingham, Al and finishing up my doctorate in May and thinking about moving to Austin!

PNut

Banned
Being someone that enjoys crazy custom gametypes with friends I hope 343 overhauls the Action Sack playlist. There are ton of gametypes out there that would make it much more fun to play. To start with there should be no slayer gametypes at all, add Nascar Speed, keep Hockey, throw in Jenga, some racing maps, Team Sumo, Halo on Halo, etc....

Great custom games like these are dead in Reach. Heck, customs in general are dead. All about the credits nowadays.

Edit-
Tashi0106 said:
I wonder if assists will be addressed. I keep forgetting they're janky. They need some tweaking.

Lately, that's all I can get.

FyreWulff

Tunavi said:
just watched the bloomless gameplay, then went to juices screen. ew bloom makes me want to vomit.

also, on that map i see butt, cock, ass, johnson, cuming, homeboyd, frankie, gaga, and pwn. damn what a state.

As a Nebraska football fan:

*shakes fist*

PNut said:
Being someone that enjoys crazy custom gametypes with friends I hope 343 overhauls the Action Sack playlist. There are ton of gametypes out there that would make it much more fun to play. To start with there should be no slayer gametypes at all, add Nascar Speed, keep Hockey, throw in Jenga, some racing maps, Team Sumo, Halo on Halo, etc....

Great custom games like these are dead in Reach. Heck, customs in general are dead. All about the credits nowadays.

They need to take Shotty Snipers out of Action Sack. It's like fun party games then SERIOUSTIME.

Bungie did the same thing with the K:D Score gametype in Halo 3's actionsack. It stuck out like a sore thumb as a serioustime gametype in the middle of a bunch of funtime ones.

Sad I missed the custom game fun. I went into matchmaking, and my insides combusted from my frothing anger.

Maybe I should pick up a habit, like smoking or petty arson. Something to let some steam off.

Damn phone. What the hell is pretty arson? Lol

PNut

Banned
FyreWulff said:
They need to take Shotty Snipers out of Action Sack. It's like fun party games then SERIOUSTIME.

Bungie did the same thing with the K:D Score gametype in Halo 3's actionsack. It stuck out like a sore thumb as a serioustime gametype in the middle of a bunch of funtime ones.

You talking about "tug o' war" I guess? Yeah, that was a real random gametype to add. I love to snipe but Shotty Snipers shouldn't be in AS. No traditional slayer gametypes should be.

lybertyboy

Hitmonchan107 said:
Sad I missed the custom game fun. I went into matchmaking, and my insides combusted from my frothing anger.

Maybe I should pick up a habit, like smoking or pretty arson. Something to let some steam off.
There was a Kermit the Frog gif I saw a couple pages back that might give you some ideas.

FyreWulff said:

[spoiler]5 out of 8 people will instantly see Hooker County. I'm way over on the Beast Coast of Nebraska in Omaha[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Wow. I'm actually surprised that another gaffer is from Omaha like me.

Also, thank based god that bloom is gone.

FyreWulff

Also, anyone familiar with the Seattle area know the best way to get downtown to the Sheraton/Hyatt for the fewest bucks? I'll be on the ground (if I make it) around 9:30am Thursday, so it looks like the Downtown Airporter seems like the best bet to just take it to the Sheraton and then walk the 3 blocks to my hotel.

TheSchwab_7 said:
Wow. I'm actually surprised that another gaffer is from Omaha like me.

Also, thank based god that bloom is gone.

I've seen a few Omahans post on this board while my registration was pending. I've forgotten their names by now though.

Omabro hi5

FyreWulff said:

[spoiler]5 out of 8 people will instantly see Hooker County. I'm way over on the Beast Coast of Nebraska in Omaha[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
I saw Cherry County because there was a tornado there yesterday evening. Worst county in Nebraska for chasing, with an absolutely horrid road network or lack thereof.
[URL="http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html"]http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html[/URL]

senador

Banned
Caught up on thread. Holy shit! We so excited.

I can't wait to learn all the details and see how all of them play.

I don't hate bloom as bad as some here but judging by my large smirky grin when I saw it gone in the video, I am not a fan of it. My problem with it comes from varying connections like others, but also because this game has such terrible spawns sometimes. When you spawn near 3 other plays and they instantly start pegging you, bloom bends you over and fucks you. There's just nothing you can do.

Perhaps if spawns have not been touched many of these changes will make them bearable. :)

I'm just outside SLC, UT.

Devo is such an internet creeper. :p

FyreWulff

senador said:
I'm just outside SLC, UT.

I play Halo with someone else who lives just outside of Salt Lake. I'll be stopping through there on the plane ride back home.

I always tell him that my most distinct memory of coming through Salt Lake on the Greyhound for PAX07 was the painted rock in the middle of the highway.

feel

Wait DMR bloom will be gone from vanilla Reach? Didn't they say they weren't touching that side of the game? Or was that improved Reach gameplay from the vid (no boom, no nukes, damage bleedthrough, nerfed armorlock etc) a separate style of gameplay that will coexist with Classic and Terrible Reach?

244r0x3.jpg

Hitmonchan107 said:
What's with the Gaga hate on this forum?

trollface.jpg
:lol

Ken

Letters said:
Wait DMR bloom will be gone from vanilla Reach? Didn't they say they weren't touching that side of the game? Or was that improved Reach gameplay from the vid (no boom, no nukes, damage bleedthrough, nerfed armorlock etc) a separate style of gameplay that will coexist with Classic and Terrible Reach?

Separate and will coexist with vanilla Reach.

Top Bottom