• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Zoolader said:
Oops sorry I forgot you were a woman. AND wow I actually just noticed your avatar doesn't have hair but a face covered in kittens! I just got xbc working today so I hardly know how to help... hmmm you are in system link on the in-game menu before searching on xbc right?

Yes I see all of the rooms I can join in sys link but I can't join the party itself. Even after taking firewalls off.

Tawpgun

I'm kind of curious if 343 has anyone good at Halo working for them.

Do you guys have a player/group of players who are better than everyone else?

A27 Tawpgun said:

Do you guys have a player/group of players who are better than everyone else?
Instinct is rocking MLG right now. But I think that will be change if MLG adopt the TU.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Yes I see all of the rooms I can join in sys link but I can't join the party itself. Even after taking firewalls off.
if you are able to see the rooms in the system link menu then it is just probably your router saying "fuck you" to our routers.

Tawpgun

Hypertrooper said:
Instinct is rocking MLG right now. But I think that will be change if MLG adopt the TU.
I don't think you got it....

Like is there a player/group of players who are good at Halo? Like really good?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:

Cocop is trash*, poor guy struggles to use the AR. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the best at the studio. I heard he rejected a life-time contract at MLG to go make Haloes. Or something.

Frankie was a like heat-seeking missle homing in on the flag during Customs the other night. Objective ninja. He out Ghaleons Ghaleon.

*ignoring reality

A27 Tawpgun said:

You mean a clan or a group of friends in one of our friend lists?

From my friends which I play with most, I have to say that the team which I play arena/MLG with are the best of that group. The rest is a bit better then the average Reach player or worse but they don't play anything competivly eiter. But I wouldn't say we even come close to pro's, far from that. I would say we are high above average.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:

What are you asking? There are lots of good players. I'm lost lol

wwm0nkey said:
if you are able to see the rooms in the system link menu then it is just probably your router saying "fuck you" to our routers.

It thinks it's better than everyone else, including me, the prick.

Tawp is asking if anyone at 343 is really good at Halo, since bungie well...

Tashi0106 said:
What are you asking? There are lots of good players. I'm lost lol
Yeah. I had problems first, too. I think he meant, if someone good(in Halo) is working at 343i. lybertyboy is a good player in normal standards. But if he play with us, he is so good like me.=He is bad. Otherwise I'm going to steak him at HaloFest.
I hope

Never played with Frankie/Coco/Mr. Voc etc. unfortunately.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
It thinks it's better than everyone else, including me, the prick.

Tawp is asking if anyone at 343 is really good at Halo, since bungie well...
You should hit it with a hammer, that will show it who is boss!

I think Starwolf is asking if anyone there understands how more competitive players like the game. To be fair you wouldnt understand all the nuances that make Halo so good unless you played a bunch of competitive matches at a high level. How can you capture that magic without experiencing it.

Hopefully 343 has it covered, if not im sure Halogaf is available whenever to help test Halo 4. :p

Ahhh, did I miss H2 customs?

Edit:
wwm0nkey said:
Well we are done with Halo 2 customs for now, anyone want to try some Reach in a bit?
Dang I was working. :(

Oh well, I hope we do Halo 2 again soon! I guess I'll be on Reach now. Anyone on?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hypertrooper said:
Yeah. I had problems first, too. I think he meant, if someone good(in Halo) is working at 343i. lybertyboy is a good player in normal standards. But if he play with us, he is so good like me.=He is bad. Otherwise I'm going to steak him at HaloFest.
I hope

Never played with Frankie/Coco/Mr. Voc etc. unfortunately.
Oh ok. Cocop is good right? I think he was a general in Halo 3. It's tough to tell how Ellis os, all the videos I've seen with his gameplay has been against pretty bad players. But we all know Frankie is an absolute monster. Guys got some serious 5 shotting skills.

Tawpgun

vhfive said:
TWITTER

EDIT: also ChenK is my favorite junior. Nice avatar

too bad this season is not looking so good.

liverpool-fc-crest.jpg

u mad bros?

A27 Tawpgun said:

174739_121892037883155_4479948_n.jpg

[rant]If your going to allow an entire team to have access to a jetpack for the entire duration of the game why even bother having them play on a map to begin with? Might as well have everyone duke it out in a boxed up empty Forge World canvas. [/minirant]

xxxstylzxxx said:
[rant]If your going to allow an entire team to have access to a jetpack for the entire duration of the game why even bother having them play on a map to begin with? Might as well have everyone duke it out in a boxed up empty Forge World canvas. [/minirant]

I said this before. One cement plank, unlimited jetpack. Call it Final Destination.

feel

A27 Tawpgun said:

I think that would be whoever cleanses the cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers' cleansers that cleanse juices and co.

GhaleonEB

Just played a game of Firefight Doubles with HANDYDARKNES, an Inheritor.

Well, part of a game. He picked Beachhead (which I happily agreed to). I rock the sniper load out, and take out a couple vehicles before they land (I killed two, he killed one). He gets in the Ghost and tries to splatter me, so I blow up his Ghost on the second pass. He quits, sends nastygram after. Looking at his game history, he's been grinding the vehicle kills Commendation on Beachhead, and probably didn't take too kindly to someone like me encroaching on that territory.

Quite a guy. Was nice of him to quit though, had a fun solo game after. And his rage made my day.

MrDaravon

27 games of BTB/SWAT, almost every lobby veto'd the first set of gametype/maps, and Stockpile didn't even show up as a possibility a single time. FML

A27 Tawpgun said:
What the hell is the point of commendations. One of the most useless parts of Reach.

A compromised implementation. I recall an update where it stated the purpose of commendations was to have a quick window into the playstyle of your ally or opponent. What we got was a quasi-COD in-game annotation system that flashed credits on the screen for certain actions performed. The problem for this was that there was an upper limit for each commendation and players are encouraged (by the overall commendation completion % underneath your gamertag in the lobby) to grind out a particular commendation to see the bar fill. I've heard of people that were a hundred cqc kills away from the 'close quarters' commendation so went into Griffball to slog the rest out. It changes in-game behaviour to a lesser extent.

Now, hypothetically, if I look at a players service record and he has every matchmaking commendation onyx maxed out, what does that tell me about his playstyle? Nothing, other than he plays the game too much.

What the commendation system should've been:

Not tied to credits. No limit on how many of each commendation the player has earned. The bars next to each category are a proportional representation of the players playstyle e.g 'Player A'

One Shot-
20000 -----------------------------------------------------------------

Crack Shot-
10000 ------------------------------------

Grenadier-
2500 -------------

Close Quarters-
1000 -----

Now, I glimpse player A's stats and see out of his 33500 kills most are with precision weapons and he avoids cqc. He is a mid-long range player.

Then, say 6 months later, and ten thousand kills later, (these are obviously simplified examples) player A has become a shotgun noob. The bars next to the commendations change proportionally e.g

One Shot-
20000 -------------------------------------------------------

Close Quarters-
10000 --------------------------------

Crack Shot-
10000 --------------------------------

Grenadier-
2500 -------

MrDaravon

Devolution said:
Wow that sucks =/.

I'd be more upset but honestly I'm sort of used to shitty Halo multiplayer achievements unfortunately. I could care less about the Achievement points, but I'm OCD with "completing" games, so being one achievement away from having Reach back under my Completed games on Dashboard drives me nuts. Also I partially blame myself for not trying to do this back when the DLC first came out, looking into this achievement online it seems like at the time Stockpile was still more common and there was apparently at some point a Flags-only playlist :/

And it sucks that I can't bitch at bungie about it because they don't handle it anymore, and the Waypoint forums don't seem to have a specific forum I can bitch about it in, although there is hilariously a thread there dedicated to setting up times and groups to get this one achievement.

Striker

Stockpile SHOULD be in Team Objective, but they've gone silly gimmick happy with complete crap like 3 Flag, CTF Slayer, and Speedflag (or is it Speedpile? Doesn't matter, both are terrible). Instead of properly balancing things like Stockpile for those who needed the Achievements - you can say it's their own fault for this because it's them who put these gametype-centric achievements online.

They had Stockpile on Swordbase, Powerhouse, Boardwalk - completely favoring one side, instead of putting them in symmetrical areas like Zealot, Countdown, Asylum, Anchor 9, etc.

People complained about the uneven sides. But they went out and removed it completely. Nobody asked for its removal - all they wanted was Drop Shield removed from TO. And it's all gone downhille since for that playlist managing wise.

Striker said:
Stockpile SHOULD be in Team Objective, but they've gone silly gimmick happy with complete crap like 3 Flag, CTF Slayer, and Speedflag (or is it Speedpile? Doesn't matter, both are terrible). Instead of properly balancing things like Stockpile for those who needed the Achievements - you can say it's their own fault for this because it's them who put these gametype-centric achievements online.

They had Stockpile on Swordbase, Powerhouse, Boardwalk - completely favoring one side, instead of putting them in symmetrical areas like Zealot, Countdown, Asylum, Anchor 9, etc.

People complained about the uneven sides. But they went out and removed it completely. Nobody asked for its removal - all they wanted was Drop Shield removed from TO. And it's all gone downhille since for that playlist managing wise.

Played a few games of Team Objective the other day. It really needs evade removed for me to take it seriously

Those stockpile achievements are the worst. If I don't get them by accident I just don't get them.

Ever since I went 14-0 in my "Save this film" attempt I've given up on Halo Achievement Hunting.

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
I'd be more upset but honestly I'm sort of used to shitty Halo multiplayer achievements unfortunately. I could care less about the Achievement points, but I'm OCD with "completing" games, so being one achievement away from having Reach back under my Completed games on Dashboard drives me nuts. Also I partially blame myself for not trying to do this back when the DLC first came out, looking into this achievement online it seems like at the time Stockpile was still more common and there was apparently at some point a Flags-only playlist :/

And it sucks that I can't bitch at bungie about it because they don't handle it anymore, and the Waypoint forums don't seem to have a specific forum I can bitch about it in, although there is hilariously a thread there dedicated to setting up times and groups to get this one achievement.
The only two Achievements for Reach I have left are the Stockpile ones as well. I've just concluded I'm never going to get either.

I really hope the CEA and MP Achievements for the new maps are a step up in this regard. The Defiant ones felt sort of random.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
The only two Achievements for Reach I have left are the Stockpile ones as well. I've just concluded I'm never going to get either.

I really hope the CEA and MP Achievements for the new maps are a step up in this regard. The Defiant ones felt sort of random.
Still holding out for a Warthog Launch over Silent Cartographer Arch achievement. That's the first order of business in co-op CEA.

MrDaravon

Well this is amusing; I posted in the Waypoint thread dedicated specifically to getting the You Ate All the Chips achievements, and I am now getting people sending me voice messages that are nothing but what sounds like a children's doll singing a lullaby song for 30 seconds. And this is coming from multiple people, none of whom I have played in recent games. Oh internet!

A27 Tawpgun said:
Still holding out for a Warthog Launch over Silent Cartographer Arch achievement. That's the first order of business in co-op CEA.

That would be awesome.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:

If ever just want to get it over with you can get the MM variant of the gametype and do it in a custom game.
Back when the maps came out it was real easy to get all the achievements since the gametypes in the dlc playlists were pretty much dedicated to them.

Tawpgun

Would it be possible to integrate daily/weekly challenges into CEA? So like, kill all sleeping grunts on aotcr without alerting anyone. Or launch a warthog 50 feet. Or kill the golden sword elite before the door closes in silent cartographer.

And they would give you credits in Reach.

MrBig said:
If ever just want to get it over with you can get the MM variant of the gametype and do it in a custom game.
Back when the maps came out it was real easy to get all the achievements since the gametypes in the defiant were pretty much dedicated to them.
He still will need the Noble Stockpile achievement.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Would it be possible to integrate daily/weekly challenges into CEA? So like, kill all sleeping grunts on aotcr without alerting anyone. Or launch a warthog 50 feet. Or kill the golden sword elite before the door closes in silent cartographer.

And they would give you credits in Reach.

I think that would require Reach and CE:A to have the same TitleID, or need CEA to run as Campaign DLC in Reach.

From what it appears, CE:A is it's own game with 1000/1000 and the Reach multiplayer section will load up Reach as a separate executable with Reach's 1000/1000 (+whatever DLC achievements Anniversary will provide)

Unless CE:A's achievements are Reach DLC achievements. But I'm doubting that at the moment.

They'd need to at least graft stat reporting into the engine to make that work though. I'm hoping we'll be able to use something like the Reach API for CE:A game stats.

As long as CE:A's campaign matchmaking lets people drop out without ending your game though, we're good.

Top Bottom