• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Dug said:
I'll be your friend!

for 10 bucks

kidding

or am I?
Ha your gamertag makes me laugh. It's awesome. You can send me a FR if you want. I have lots of room :p XxDeputyMoonman Not sure if I'll play much more tonight though. In fact, everyone and anyone feel free, lol.

EDIT: My computer is on the other side of my apartment, so I'm not able to chat on gaf and play Halo at the same time. Perhaps I should make some changes to where I keep everything.

Per our discussion of the Halo 2 Beta, FyreWulff this is for you:

Downloading Maps and Some Menu Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SAX6tuQofU

Menu Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ug1ZnyY2EA&feature=related

Mongoose on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV3_p6PIFNQ&feature=related

Splitscreen on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yen1xkXMBfg&feature=related

Beta Carbine and Mongoose on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Sg246Wlg8&feature=channel_video_title

Unknown Gun, Mongoose, Flamethrower, and Unknown Flying Vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7JOoaamP9I

Footage of where Invasion and Headhunter were supposed to be gametypes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dOp8VJXl8&feature=related

Some cool stuff in these videos, if you don't want to watch them all at least look at the bold one. I would love to get my hands on this disc...

senador said:
Maybe I am the only one, but I don't want this at all in a Halo game. I just don't see it working great. I just want even better matchmaking with great gametype/map support so anything that gets voted for is fun or at least fair.
Why wouldn't it work? What reason do you have to say this? Is it just because matchmaking has been so ingrained in our heads because it's all we've had (on consoles) for Halo?

I don't know about you but I never want to deal with shit like Dropshields in Objective for months again. I don't want to play crummy Forge World maps. I don't want to play Armor Lock in Team Slayer. I don't want Evade outside of Elite gametypes. I never want to deal with something like Hemorrhage in a 4v4 playlist. Or Getting 1 playlist update a month that just brings about new problems or leaves other things neglected.

I just want to play what I want, whenever I want. Is that really so much to ask of Halo?

FyreWulff

Awesome Barlow said:
Per our discussion of the Halo 2 Beta, FyreWulff this is for you:

Downloading Maps and Some Menu Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SAX6tuQofU

Menu Footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ug1ZnyY2EA&feature=related

Mongoose on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV3_p6PIFNQ&feature=related

Splitscreen on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yen1xkXMBfg&feature=related

Beta Carbine and Mongoose on Zanzibar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Sg246Wlg8&feature=channel_video_title

Unknown Gun, Mongoose, Flamethrower, and Unknown Flying Vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7JOoaamP9I

Footage of where Invasion and Headhunter were supposed to be gametypes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73dOp8VJXl8&feature=related

Some cool stuff in these videos, if you don't want to watch them all at least look at the bold one. I would love to get my hands on this disc...

Thanks for these. I hadn't seen the bolded one before.

The unknown gun looks like either an alternate take on the flamethrower (strangely, it seems farther along animation-wise than the fully-modeled FL itself) or perhaps was an earlier version cut Sentinel gun that Evil Otto talking about when people discovered the Needler Sentinel, and he talked about a gun they had pretty far along and pulled later, with the Needler Sentinel being a remnant of that gun

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive24.pl?read=697604

It looks like something that could fall off a Sentinel, anyway.

FyreWulff said:

The unknown gun looks like either an alternate take on the flamethrower (strangely, it seems farther along animation-wise than the fully-modeled FL itself) or perhaps was the cut Sentinel gun that one of the bungie employees was talking about when people discovered the Needler Sentinel, and he talked about a gun they had pretty far along and pulled later, with the Needler Sentinel being a remnant of that gun.

I have heard it referred to as the disrupter before, take from that what you will.

I believe it was supposed to have been used on vehicles.

FyreWulff

Awesome Barlow said:
I have heard it referred to as the disrupter before, take from that what you will.

I believe it was supposed to have been used on vehicles.

I found the post I was remembering:

It's one of the few cut weapons we know about that existed in Halo 2 at some point. Could be it, could be something else completely. Would probably have to find a beta campaign build of Halo 2 though, and most of the leaks i've seen are all multiplayer.

If the bumps on that gun are supposed to be a cluster of grenades though, it could also be the Sentinel RPG that Djorkan theorizes about here

Tunavi

Banned
C58Ap.png

Packing for "school." lol

FyreWulff

i nerini del buio said:
I should buy that halo2 multiplayer map pack disc

It'd be neato if MS could bless a project where all the DLC (including Tombstone and Desolation) for Halo 2 is on a disc with the 1.5 and people could just copy it over.

eh, considering halo2 DLCs were free prior to the original xbl shutdown...
it's stupid that I have to spend about 16€ (which would be like 20 of your inferior american currency) to have something that's supposed to be free :/ edit. something I even spent moneyz on, back in 2004 -.-

FyreWulff

i nerini del buio said:
eh, considering halo2 DLCs were free prior to the original xbl shutdown...
it's stupid that I have to spend about 16€ (which would be like 20 of your inferior american currency) to have something that's supposed to be free :/

It also sucks that you can't just copy Tombstone and Desolation over. You need 1.5 to add them to the menu so you can actually select them.

blamite

i nerini del buio said:
what do you mean? Aren't those two maps into the multiplayer map pack disc?
Nope, they came out a bit later. So even if you have the Map Pack, if you ever clear your cache or do anything to cause your Xbox to delete the 1.5 update, you can't get Tombstone and Desolation back.

FyreWulff said:
I swear CE:A campaign matchmaking's already been confirmed. TO THE GOOGLES

I wonder just how intergrated CEA will be, we wont have our Noble Spartan in it but I wonder if there will be commendations linked to it. Will we earn CR while playing it etc. I wonder how the single Firefight map will be intergrated, it would be weird to have an entire firefight mode on disk just for the one map. Will we even have theatre mode to allow us to view matchmaking games from the CEA disk? So many questions.

Tunavi said:
I have 10 friends online who are playing Reach right now. Moonman has no friends confirmed.

i'd be online but i'm packing for my 3rd year of college :D :D :D so excite

Or Moonman has friends with taste :p. /troll.

Good luck for 3rd year, what are you studying?

Dani said:

I just flicked through who won?

From the looks of it they didnt play seriously at all? I skipped to the end and it was a Plasma Pistol match lol

That said the ending was hilarious. Eazy removes Starwolf just as he says "hope to play with you in the future." EazyB really has got being an asshole down to an artform.

Woorloog

Banned
What the fuck? The daily credit fucking limit DOES NOT RESET along with new challenges?
Fuck this POS desing!
Makes me want to quit Reach almost...

Eye Drop said:
Any word on whether the TU will affect campaign at all?

Nothing has been said about it, but the TU has always been marketed as to make a playlist in Reach that felt more like Halo CE so any campaign changes seem unlickely.

What problem do you have with the campaign that it needs a TU fix?

Tha Robbertster said:
Nothing has been said about it, but the TU has always been marketed as to make a playlist in Reach that felt more like Halo CE so any campaign changes seem unlickely.

Whay problem do you have with the campaign that it needs a TU fix?
I'd like the bloom-changes and stuff to be an option in campaign, myself. Same with Firefight.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
Not true. They work just fine on 1.1

If the host selects them, yes. But you can't select them yourself if you're hosting. Halo 2 Xbox didn't have the ability to auto-enumerate new DLC maps and add them to the menu.

The other benefit from 1.5 is you also get the teleporter glitch fix for Relic. (that was actually in 1.2, but you're pretty much either gonna have 1.1 or 1.5)

Blue Ninja said:
I'd like the bloom-changes and stuff to be an option in campaign, myself. Same with Firefight.

I don't mind bloom in campaign or firefight. I can't think of one instance where I thought ''Fuck bloom'' while playing campaign or firefight.

FyreWulff said:
If the host selects them, yes. But you can't select them yourself if you're hosting. Halo 2 Xbox didn't have the ability to auto-enumerate new DLC maps and add them to the menu.

The other benefit from 1.5 is you also get the teleporter glitch fix for Relic. (that was actually in 1.2, but you're pretty much either gonna have 1.1 or 1.5)

so, in the end, any chance for me to get all the maps + 1.5 tu on my 360 ? :(

FyreWulff

i nerini del buio said:
so, in the end, any chance for me to get all the maps + 1.5 tu on my 360 ? :(

APPARENTLY (but I cannot confirm it, as I don't want to risk my Halo 2 1.5 install) if you boot up Halo 2, MS still has the Autoupdate servers running, and Halo 2 will ask you if you want to update to 1.5. So you can maybe still get 1.5 the easy way.

Tombstone and Desolation are more of a grey area. They were free, but they were also copyrighted. I'm not sure if we can talk directly about getting Desolation and Tombstone onto your 360 on GAF, but is relatively easy to do so if you have a 360 HDD Transfer Cable.

Which is why it would be great if MS could be convinced to give some sort of blessing to people to at least openly share the information and files for getting Tombstone and Desolation. And maybe the other maps, but we at least have the Multiplayer Map Pack Disc for those.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
APPARENTLY (but I cannot confirm it, as I don't want to risk my Halo 2 1.5 install) if you boot up Halo 2, MS still has the Autoupdate servers running, and Halo 2 will ask you if you want to update to 1.5. So you can maybe still get 1.5 the easy way.

Tombstone and Desolation are more of a grey area. They were free, but they were also copyrighted. I'm not sure if we can talk directly about getting Desolation and Tombstone onto your 360 on GAF, but is relatively easy to do so if you have a 360 HDD Transfer Cable.

Which is why it would be great if MS could be convinced to give some sort of blessing to people to at least openly share the information and files for getting Tombstone and Desolation. And maybe the other maps, but we at least have the Multiplayer Map Pack Disc for those.
You're really not missing anything of you don't have tombstone or desolation. On the bottom tier of Halo 2 maps.

I do have one question though... Is there anyway to get Halo 2 back to version 1? I want to do the rocket sword glitch again :p

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
You're really not missing anything of you don't have tombstone or desolation. On the bottom tier of Halo 2 maps.

I do have one question though... Is there anyway to get Halo 2 back to version 1? I want to do the rocket sword glitch again :p

Easiest way is to delete your entire Halo 2 folder.

Or wait for your 360 to randomly corrupt it.

Tha Robbertster said:
I don't mind bloom in campaign or firefight. I can't think of one instance where I thought ''Fuck bloom'' while playing campaign or firefight.
Me neither, but the option would be nice. Have the campaign get a bit more of that Halo 1/2/3-feeling.

I hopped online for a couple of matches yesterday for the first time in a couple months. Not too much has changed, a lot of new (unrecognized) forge maps in the playlists. The AL spam seems to have subsided quite a bit too.

FyreWulff said:
that was true for a short period of time after the oxbl shutdown, but now it doesn't work anymore (just tried today)

FyreWulff

i nerini del buio said:
that was true for a short period of time after the oxbl shutdown, but now it doesn't work anymore (just tried today)

Well, shit. I think you can still transfer over the TU folder, but I forget if the fan sites that backed up the Desolation/Tombstone download also made the update folder available.

Advantage here is that all Original Xboxes had the same decryption key, so you can transfer OXbox content to any 360.

I could get my OXbox out of storage and pull 1.5 off it if it really comes to it.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:

The unknown gun looks like either an alternate take on the flamethrower (strangely, it seems farther along animation-wise than the fully-modeled FL itself) or perhaps was an earlier version cut Sentinel gun that Evil Otto talking about when people discovered the Needler Sentinel, and he talked about a gun they had pretty far along and pulled later, with the Needler Sentinel being a remnant of that gun

Man. Looking at those I can't help but think. The Halo 2 that could have been. It would have been amazing if they had just been given more time and if MS hadn't tried to turn them into MicroBungie.

I mean sure they screwed up at first but judging by the beta videos Bungie had turned it around and was clearly on the right track to turn out one amazing game. As is it will have to settle for damn good.

TheOddOne

Wreck-It Ralph is Disney's Love Letter to Video Games
At the D23 Expo today, we saw lots of things to get excited about, but none of them seemed to speak to the core IGN audience more than Wreck-It Ralph, an animated film due from Disney studios in November of 2012. The story of a bad guy from an 8-bit video game who dreams of the glory of being a good guy, the film takes us inside the world of video games from the point of view of the characters themselves.

The opening scene of Wreck-It Ralph tells you all you need to know about the premise of the film. In the first four-minutes, screened at the D23 Expo, the voice of John C. Reilly provides first-person narration to introduce the world of the film and the title character, the antagonist of an arcade game called Fix-It Felix, Jr.

In the Donkey-Kong style game, Wreck-It Ralph stands on top of a building and destroys it while Fix-It Felix (voiced by 30 Rock's Jack McBrayer) repairs the damage with his magic hammer. Ralph is just doing his job, but he tells us, "It's hard to like your job when no one seems to like you for doing it."

Each night when the arcade closes, Felix enjoys being a hero to the grateful inhabitants of the building, who thank him by bringing him pie. Ralph, meanwhile, lives in a garbage heap, or as he calls it, "a cesspit of despair on the outskirts of humanity." He seems so sad and sincere, you really have to feel for the guy.

We find out at the end of the scene that all this biographical narration is for the benefit of a support group called "Bad-Anon." Among the members of the group is a ghost from Pac-Man, a zombie, a snake and a thoughtful brute named Tigor. The footage ends as they all hold hands and recite an affirmation, reassuring themselves that they may never be good, but that's okay.

Following the footage, director Rich Moore (The Simpsons, Futurama) came out to tells us more about the story. Fed up with the limitations of Fix-It Felix Jr., Ralph sets out to find a game where he can be a good guy. Among the other titles he visits are Hero's Duty, a Halo-inspired shooting game where he meets the tough Sgt. Calhoun (Jane Lynch). He also visits a cart-racing game called Sugar Rush, set in a land filled with candy. There, Ralph meets another character, Vanellope Von Schweetz (Sarah Silverman). But all that sweetness hides a dangerous secret.

Moore showed a quick clip of Lynch in the recording booth barking out orders. Then he brought out McBrayer and Silverman on stage to chat a bit about the film. McBrayer was enthusiastic, but self-deprecating. "My own voice irritates myself," he said.

Silverman joked that she had a love-hate relationship with Disney films because they make her feel. "My heart can't take it," she said. "Then I'm glad I saw it and felt something. It's hard when you have a tiny, tiny heart."

MrBig

Woorloog said:
What the fuck? The daily credit fucking limit DOES NOT RESET along with new challenges?
Fuck this POS desing!
Makes me want to quit Reach almost...
The daily credit limit resets at midnight according to the time on your 360.

ElRenoRaven

So I've been reading a thread of a new Halo 2 Vista buyer over in gaming and we got into discussion of FOV.

I do have one request for the 343 folks in terms of FOV. Can future games please go back to 90 degree FOV PLEASE!!!! That's one thing on a technical level that has always bugged me about every game since the first. 90 just felt perfect.

FyreWulff said:

True 1.1 works fine with Tombstone and Desolation, 1.2 (that shows up as 1.1) won't work without host selecting it.

I have an OXB with the 1.1 update and I can see, select and play Tombstone and Desolation.

Top Bottom