• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tawpgun

A27 Tawpgun said:
Would it be possible to integrate daily/weekly challenges into CEA? So like, kill all sleeping grunts on aotcr without alerting anyone. Or launch a warthog 50 feet. Or kill the golden sword elite before the door closes in silent cartographer.

And they would give you credits in Reach.
FyreWulff said:
I think that would require Reach and CE:A to have the same TitleID, or need CEA to run as Campaign DLC in Reach.

From what it appears, CE:A is it's own game with 1000/1000 and the Reach multiplayer section will load up Reach as a separate executable with Reach's 1000/1000 (+whatever DLC achievements Anniversary will provide)

Unless CE:A's achievements are Reach DLC achievements. But I'm doubting that at the moment.

They'd need to at least graft stat reporting into the engine to make that work though. I'm hoping we'll be able to use something like the Reach API for CE:A game stats.

As long as CE:A's campaign matchmaking lets people drop out without ending your game though, we're good.

I was thinking that since we can boot up Reach multiplayer from CEA, it would be possible. But I know jack shit about these things and you've been .map'd NOTHING IS CERTAIN ANYMORE.

Would you guys like me to stream some CEA gameplay? I want to provide as much content as I can, but I don't want to do something if you guys won't care about it.

Tunavi said:
I'm going dark on the campaign, but I'd really really like some bloomless gameplay from the new maps
I'll be sure to preface any streaming with exactly what would be shown. :^)

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Would you guys like me to stream some CEA gameplay? I want to provide as much content as I can, but I don't want to do something if you guys won't care about it.
I'm going dark on the campaign, but I'd really really like some bloomless gameplay from the new maps

Tunavi said:
Campaign isn't going to be playable.

If you want that Hitmon conducts an Interview with me, you have to say him that.

Kuroyume

Banned
How are you going to stream it? I want to see the later levels in the game if they have them there. I want to see the areas with falling snow.

feel

Hitmonchan107 said:
YES

edit-
and don't pull an ign/waypoint, anything with armor abilities is not CEA gameplay

Kuroyume said:
How are you going to stream it? I want to see the later levels in the game if they have them there. I want to see the areas with falling snow.
I'm trying to get my hands on a decent video camera, and I'm going to hook it up to my laptop and stream over J.tv or ustream (which nobody has answered on which one is better or more preferred).

Hypertrooper said:
Did you read that Hitmonchan? We can shoot the fan remake of Sleepless in Seattle! I will be better than the real Meg Ryan! I promise!
Looks like I need to watch that movie. (My girlfriend bitched me out a few hours ago about how I haven't watched it. :lol)

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Online Co-Op has. No word on actual matchmaking.

Well now we have a question for the Anniversary panel.

I swear to god Google results are getting more useless, by the way. So many results from journos asking if the Reach multiplayer in CE:A will have matchmaking (well, duh)

Tunavi

Banned
hit, I recommend justin.tv/twitch, most of us already have accounts there.

gahhh hype hype hype. they are gonna have 5 playable maps you lucky bastards

Tunavi said:
hit, I recommend justin.tv/twitch, most of us already have accounts there.

gahhh hype hype hype. they are gonna have 5 playable maps you lucky bastards
Dude, do you think people are coming for the Haloz? Everyone is just coming for me. If someone says something different, he is lying!

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
I was thinking that since we can boot up Reach multiplayer from CEA, it would be possible. But I know jack shit about these things and you've been .map'd NOTHING IS CERTAIN ANYMORE.

Cross-game inter-operation has nothing to do with .maps, but with MS policy and engineering.

Each game on 360 has it's own TitleID. Discs can contain multiple games (or executables) with their own TitleIDs. Demo discs are a prime example of this, also the XBLA Unplugged series.

Halo 3 and Halo 3: Mythic for another example, have the same title ID, and both of them look like the original Halo 3 to the Live servers even though have different content.

343 could do it either way, but I know a lot of fans would prefer Anniversary to have it's own set of achievements.

Also Reach players might get annoyed if they have to disc swap for a Daily or Weekly even if 343 rigged it up so that Anniversary sent data to Reach's arbitration server to complete challenges on the Reach side. They do control the Reach servers now.

fakeedit: Actually, since there's an achievement for getting a Weekly and All 4 Dailies on-disc for Reach, and you can't require DLC or another disc for the base 1000/1000 in any game, that might stop that idea outright. Same reason why they can't require DLC on the Invasion playlist due to the Skunked and Wingman achievement.

I'll put a Subway Footlong on the Halo: Reach Multiplayer menu option in CEA being a bootloader for the Reach executable though. If it's not, the first HaloGAFfer that finds me at PAX can claim it.

I'll just give you 10$ because fuck waiting in line

Also the passphrase to claim it will be the first 4 bars of "Written in the Stars"

Hitmonchan107 said:

I'll be sure to preface any streaming with exactly what would be shown. :^)

God yes, bloomless gameplay plz!

MrDaravon

Got the achievement fuck yes

Stockpile came up once in SWAT; then immediately one of our teammates quit, and the other team was a team of four hardcore dudes and we got completely dominated. Next match it came up again, and was this hilarious comedy of errors where me and a friend were obviously trying to get it, and two of the four people on their team were obviously trying to do the same. However the other two people on each team had no interest, so most of the match was this hilarious comedy of errors with me and my friend more or less trying to help the two people on their team score all 4, then after that they tried to help us while their teammates were trying to kill us, and we got it on the last scoring round before the end of the match. FUUUUUUU Reach

Yep...True Skill is working out just fine

Even with custom search options in place I get this. While I don't mind the free kills, these types of games just sort of take the fun out of MM. Only saving grace was giving the proverbial boot to "newchallenger" and his/her guest after a blatant betrayal at the start of the match. Some fine tuning of the formula is needed and hopefully that will come courtesy of the TU.

FyreWulff

xxxstylzxxx said:
Yep...True Skill is working out just fine

Even with custom search options in place I get this. While I don't mind the free kills, these types of games just sort of take the fun out of MM. Only saving grace was giving the proverbial boot to "newchallenger" and his/her guest after a blatant betrayal at the start of the match. Some fine tuning of the formula is needed and hopefully that will come courtesy of the TU.

Looking over the game:

One of your opponents only has 7 games of Squad Slayer, not enough to place him yet.

Guests.

Looks like they were partied with someone with over 300 Squad Slayer games, so it was a mixed party + guests on both sides (you had someone with an extremely low amount of games on your team too) = not really sure what Trueskill was supposed to do there. A player with high TS brought in people with extremely low or almost no TS data (and a guest on his box) and that is the result.

Mixed or wide skill gap parties and guests will always skew TS results. The optimal environment for TS is Ranked FFA. (No guests, no parties, and super strict rank requirements). Every team based game on 360 is going to have similiar issues when using TS for team matchmaking unless you crank all the parameter requirements up, but then you just have The Arena and lower population as a result.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Looking over the game:

One of your opponents only has 7 games of Squad Slayer, not enough to place him yet.

Guests.

Looks like they were partied with someone with over 300 Squad Slayer games, so it was a mixed party + guests on both sides (you had someone with an extremely low amount of games on your team too) = not really sure what Trueskill was supposed to do there. A player with high TS brought in people with extremely low or almost no TS data (and a guest on his box) and that is the result.

Mixed or wide skill gap parties and guests will always skew TS results. The optimal environment for TS is Ranked FFA. (No guests, no parties, and super strict rank requirements). Every team based game on 360 is going to have similiar issues when using TS for team matchmaking unless you crank all the parameter requirements up, but then you just have The Arena and lower population as a result.

It should have matched the guy with only a few games with another guy with only a few games. I don't care how bad you suck, if you've played several hundred games you are most likely better than someone who has played none. Match those suckers up with other newbies. This isn't exactly true but the new guy won't know the maps or weapons really when the other will. IF someone hasn't played enough to be ranked properly, the set of rules for matchmaking should be different when someone like that enters.

As for the guests, I think trueskill should dumb itself down a bit when guests enter. The randoms for the guest parties should be lower ranked than the main dude's rank. Guests really should only match against other guests. Filling in the cracks with randoms just makes for a shitty game for those randoms. I hate being that random.

FyreWulff

senador said:
It should have matched the guy with only a few games with another guy with only a few games. I don't care how bad you suck, if you've played several hundred games you are most likely better than someone who has played none. Match those suckers up with other newbies.

As for the guests, I think trueskill should dumb itself down a bit when guests enter. The randoms for the guest parties should be lower ranked than the main dude's rank. Guests really should only match against other guests. Filling in the cracks with randoms just makes for a shitty game for those randoms. I hate being that random.

But then the problem is - if there were better skill matches available, they may have had too much latency so the system went with the better connection over the better skill match.

Or there was a slightly better match for skill but they were a different language.

And then you have the ultimate wildcard: if the same person that played the other games was at the controller for this game, or if they decided to actually try while playing with a guest or decided to play the game in a more chill way, or if they decided to "show up" for this game or not. Those last 3 things will screw with any skill matching system.

We've seen it happen in real sports such as football where a game should have one team winning or closely matched, but then it turns out their heart is not in it (wanted another bowl, things going on in the Quarterback's life, etc) and they piss the game away because they didn't show up.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
But then the problem is - if there were better skill matches available, they may have had too much latency so the system went with the better connection over the better skill match.

Or there was a slightly better match for skill but they were a different language.

And then you have the ultimate wildcard: if the same person that played the other games was at the controller for this game, or if they decided to actually try while playing with a guest or decided to play the game in a more chill way, or if they decided to "show up" for this game or not. Those last 3 things will screw with any skill matching system.

We've seen it happen in real sports such as football where a game should have one team winning or closely matched, but then it turns out their heart is not in it (wanted another bowl, things going on in the Quarterback's life, etc) and they piss the game away because they didn't show up.

See, I don't care about any of that. I think guests completely ruin the experiences of those without guests. If all of this must be considered as well (it does I know) then the only thing I see as the answer is a guests only playlist. So no guests in all playlists, then have a couple or few playlists only accessible if you have a guest party. This would work too because if all guest parties have to go here then the population would be big enough to support it.

I absolutely hate playing with guests.

Barrow Roll said:
Server browsers man. Halo with server browsers would be the bee's knees.

Maybe I am the only one, but I don't want this at all in a Halo game. I just don't see it working great. I just want even better matchmaking with great gametype/map support so anything that gets voted for is fun or at least fair.

Tashi0106 said:
Sure Tashi, choke on another Overkill! al;ksdnf;lasigdflaksdgv;klajsdf;laksdjfalkjgdag

dude-you-are-a-noob-noob-inside-my-poopee-you-bore-me.jpg

Good luck next weekend ;)

I played Reach again tonight for the first time in months. And the only other person on my friends list playing Reach was Dani. Where'd everyone go?

Tunavi

Banned
I have 10 friends online who are playing Reach right now. Moonman has no friends confirmed.

i'd be online but i'm packing for my 3rd year of college :D :D :D so excite

Tunavi said:
I have 10 friends online who are playing Reach right now. Moonman has no friends confirmed.

i'd be online but i'm packing for my 3rd year of college :D :D :D so excite
You're probably not far from the truth. There's no point in having someone on a friend's list if that person is never online; and I'm never online. No matter. I usually play solo anyway. I'll come back and rage rant gaf shortly. Give me a sec.
wanna share some friends?

Dug

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
You're probably not far from the truth. There's no point in having someone on a friend's list if that person is never online; and I'm never online. No matter. I usually play solo anyway. I'll come back and rage rant gaf shortly. Give me a sec.
wanna share some friends?
I'll be your friend!

for 10 bucks

kidding

or am I?

Top Bottom