• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Man. Looking at those I can't help but think. The Halo 2 that could have been. It would have been amazing if they had just been given more time and if MS hadn't tried to turn them into MicroBungie.

I mean sure they screwed up at first but judging by the beta videos Bungie had turned it around and was clearly on the right track to turn out one amazing game. As is it will have to settle for damn good.

It's still crazy to think that Invasion was actually Bungie's third try at shipping the gametype, and apparently both the Halo 2 and Halo 3 attempts at it are the only reason we were able to play as Elites in both games, because it was supposed to be the Covenant versus UNSC mode, essentially.

And that Sandtrap was originally supposed to be an Invasion map.

Homeboyd

Tomorrow is the first "new" weekly from 343 right? I remember someone (Ellis?) saying they'd have a couple good ones for us coming up, IIRC.

MrBig said:
The daily credit limit resets at midnight according to the time on your 360.
I don't know if it is possible: But there shouldn't be a credit limit, when you reach the Rank "General".

Homeboyd said:
Tomorrow is the first "new" weekly from 343 right? I remember someone (Ellis?) saying they'd have a couple good ones for is coming up, IIRC.
I hope it is a weekly I can do in 2 days.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
It's still crazy to think that Invasion was actually Bungie's third try at shipping the gametype, and apparently both the Halo 2 and Halo 3 attempts at it are the only reason we were able to play as Elites in both games, because it was supposed to be the Covenant versus UNSC mode, essentially.

And that Sandtrap was originally supposed to be an Invasion map.
Sandtrap would have made a better Invasion map than any of the Reach shipping Invasion maps. Oy.

Karl2177

Quit ban rant: If I get blackscreened and return to the lobby, I get temp banned. Great system Bungie.

On another note, I've been trying to play the game differently, so it isn't the usual DMR-fest. I watched some of the pre-Reach videos showing gameplay and tried to mimic the style. Hologram on Countdown is amazingly fun.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Sandtrap would have made a better Invasion map than any of the Reach shipping Invasion maps. Oy.

I dunno. I really like Reach's invasion maps. Boneyard would be great if it weren't for the start. Really the Elites need more cover and the Spartans should not get a DMR. If they fixed those it would be perfect. My favorite map even. The others I find to be damn fun too. I really need to play more invasion but sadly I seem to be cursed with the team that always has 2 or 3 quit after the very 1st phase.

Karl2177 said:
Quit ban rant: If I get blackscreened and return to the lobby, I get temp banned. Great system Bungie.

On another note, I've been trying to play the game differently, so it isn't the usual DMR-fest. I watched some of the pre-Reach videos showing gameplay and tried to mimic the style. Hologram on Countdown is amazingly fun.

I feel like hologram is one of the more well thought out AAs.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
I dunno. I really like Reach's invasion maps. Boneyard would be great if it weren't for the start. Really the Elites need more cover and the Spartans should not get a DMR. If they fixed those it would be perfect. My favorite map even. The others I find to be damn fun too. I really need to play more invasion but sadly I seem to be cursed with the team that always has 2 or 3 quit after the very 1st phase.
I really dislike Spire - I've never had anything that bordered on a fun game on it. Boneyard is just poorly utilized; I hate the last phase and how it's just a straight death slog from the room the pick up zone.

Tangent:

For 1-flag on Boneyard, I wish the flag were placed in the middle of the ship that bisects the level, and attackers spawned back around the core room - which would be the capture point. There's a lot of ways to invade the ship and I think fighting along the length of that is more interesting than along the length of the ground level.

And on that note, I think 1-Flag would play better on Breakpoint if the flag were located where the core spawns. And on Highlands, put the flag where the bomb plant zone is in Assault. CTF games would be a lot more interesting; I had a game last night where a team just had four players up on the platform at all times on 1-Flag, with the shotty and rockets in the mix. Needless to say the game deadlocked at zero. Down at bomb plant would expose campers and make them easier to pick off; CTF would play better overall.

I was thinking about the maps that shipped with reach and their inclusion within the campaign. I remember Bungie stating that it was a streamlining process that they didn't want to do again, but what struck me for some maps that shipped with Reach was whether it was really necessary. Take Countdown, Boardwalk and (maybe) reflection. Their appearances within the campaign were trivial at most, and you literally run through countdown and boardwalk, spending no more than 30 seconds there. Creating a substitute environment for the start of Exodus and the launch pad in LNOS would not have very time consuming, and given the visual fatigue that I get with Reach, having a brand environments in matchmaking that you didn't already see in campaign would have helped.

The route that Bungie took with some maps in Halo 3 was also interesting in the way that they are aestetically similar to locations within campaign, but nevertheless they are unique. Take Construct, its literally in the same building as the The Ark, but it does not feel stale. Also, Valhalla uses a lot of textures seen on the Covenant. A similar approach was shown by the background in Epitaph and Isoation, and the use of textures seen in Halo on Snowbound.

GhaleonEB said:
I really dislike Spire - I've never had anything that bordered on a fun game on it. Boneyard is just poorly utilized; I hate the last phase and how it's just a straight death slog from the room the pick up zone.

I've never had a game on Spire that is remotely close. It seems that one team always dominates the other.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

WOW. You really don't like Spire? I love that map except there should be a better way down then to just jump and hope you land without falling. Also part of the fun of Boneyard is that last march to Victory. I do agree that the last room could use a tweak. Maybe a back way into it.

Now I'm not going to say it can't be improved upon. I would love actual objectives. Have it play like a mini campaign level. Take Sword Base as an example. I think it would make a great Invasion map. You could start in the courtyard and have to fight your way into the garage. Then fight your way through the building to get access to a terminal or something.

ChenK said:
I was thinking about the maps that shipped with reach and their inclusion within the campaign. I remember Bungie stating that it was a streamlining process that they didn't want to do again, but what struck me for some maps that shipped with Reach was whether it was really necessary. Take Countdown, Boardwalk and (maybe) reflection. Their appearances within the campaign were trivial at most, and you literally run through countdown and boardwalk, spending no more than 30 seconds there. Creating a substitute environment for the start of Exodus and the launch pad in LNOS would not have very time consuming, and given the visual fatigue that I get with Reach, having a brand environments in matchmaking that you didn't already see in campaign would have helped.

The route that Bungie took with some maps in Halo 3 was also interesting in the way that they are aestetically similar to locations within campaign, but nevertheless they are unique. Take Construct, its literally in the same building as the The Ark, but it does not feel stale. Also, Valhalla uses a lot of textures seen on the Covenant. A similar approach was shown by the background in Epitaph and Isoation, and the use of textures seen in Halo on Snowbound.

Yea. That's where I think Reach was hurt. While I like them all I prefer my multiplayer maps separate from the campaign. It just seems that multiplayer maps designed for multiplayer from the start just play better. They also give you something new to explore after playing campaign. For prime examples look at any Halo,Halo 2, or Halo 3. They are so much more memorable and were so much fun to explore.

PsychoRaven said:
WOW. You really don't like Spire? I love that map except there should be a better way down then to just jump and hope you land without falling. Also part of the fun of Boneyard is that last march to Victory. I do agree that the last room could use a tweak. Maybe a back way into it.

Now I'm not going to say it can't be improved upon. I would love actual objectives. Have it play like a mini campaign level. Take Sword Base as an example. I think it would make a great Invasion map. You could start in the courtyard and have to fight your way into the garage. Then fight your way through the building to get access to a terminal or something.

Yea. That's where I think Reach was hurt. While I like them all I prefer my multiplayer maps separate from the campaign. It just seems that multiplayer maps designed for multiplayer from the start just play better. They also give you something new to explore after playing campaign.
Worst thing in Invasion Boneyard are spartans spawning with shotguns and camping the core room to death, just place a shotgun as a pick up for the third phase. Same with spartans camping the top of the Spire.

ElRenoRaven

Gabotron ES said:
Worst thing in Invasion Boneyard are spartans spawning with shotguns and camping the core room to death, just place a shotgun as a pick up for the third phase. Same with spartans camping the top of the Spire.

I can see your argument there on Boneyard. It seems shotgun does beat sword most of the time. On spire I don't mind the shotgun cause it's so easy to grab core and get out of there. Once out in the open that shotgun isn't going to help you much either.

wwm0nkey

Homeboyd said:
Tomorrow is the first "new" weekly from 343 right? I remember someone (Ellis?) saying they'd have a couple good ones for us coming up, IIRC.
Well he said they where doing more than looking at the challenges so hopefully we will see what he meant tomorrow

Just played some halo 2 ascension, my god that skybox! The forgeworld pallete makes me wanna throw up.

Also the the launch maps in halo 2 are the strongest to be found in any MP game, they just ooze quality. I have never seen a MP game with such good stock maps.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
wwm0nkey said:
Well he said they where doing more than looking at the challenges so hopefully we will see what he meant tomorrow
Sorry if my "typed on a cellphone" response has taken some folks in the wrong direction. Don't expect any "new" challenges at the moment.

We're currently exploring a lot of options regarding the challenge system, but there are no concrete plans I can confirm right now.

That's not to say we didn't tweak this upcoming weekly a little bit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
215102535_gzfaU-L-2.jpg

LOL, nice Ghaleon.

Tunavi

Banned
lybertyboy said:
Sorry if my "typed on a cellphone" response has taken some folks in the wrong direction. Don't expect any "new" challenges at the moment.

We're currently exploring a lot of options regarding the challenge system, but there are no concrete plans I can confirm right now.

Good, keep your focus and hard effort on the TU and gameplay, we dont care about challenges :)

wwm0nkey

lybertyboy said:

a little tweak is fine by me :)

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:
If it's "win 343 games in multiplayer MM" I'm going to buy Lego Star Wars.

Seriously though, glad you guys are reviewing them.

feel

lybertyboy said:

Nice, hope you guys keep focusing on crap like that as little as possible and continue putting all your efforts into making the game actually great to play.

Tawpgun

lybertyboy said:
Kill 343 Elites in Campaign.......... 5000 cR....

If you have control over the values, make campaign challenges, especially those that take 10+ minutes, and add 5000 to whatever value they had before. Campaign challenges sub 5000 have to be the most worthless wastes of time ever. I only do the ones that take 5 minutes or less or the L.D. ones for the challenge of it.

GhaleonEB

lybertyboy said:

The fact that you are A) already tweaking Challenges and B) looking at options for the future is cause for celebration.

TheOddOne

PsychoRaven said:
WOW. You really don't like Spire? I love that map except there should be a better way down then to just jump and hope you land without falling.
True story: I am afraid to even jump off of it. I'm always stuck there.

In all seriousness that was one of the most fun 1v1's ive ever had.

I lol'd at the remove friend thing, I almost came back in that last game but regardless, good show!

Woorloog

Banned
Some questions regarding TU, i hope someone can answer those here or with some luck, someone could ask them at HaloFest.
1. Will title update allow tweaking invidual team traits, preferrably at least in Invasion. Truly asymmetrical game modes would be interesting.
2. Will TU allow loadout settings to include traits, to make loadouts essentially classes? Class based Halo could be very interesting.
3. Ammo/'nade pickup without picking up weapons?

I can guess the answer for all three will be "No, no, no."

Zoolader

Woorloog said:
Some questions regarding TU, i hope someone can answer those here or with some luck, someone could ask them at HaloFest.
1. Will title update allow tweaking invidual team traits, preferrably at least in Invasion. Truly asymmetrical game modes would be interesting.
2. Will TU allow loadout settings to include traits, to make loadouts essentially classes? Class based Halo could be very interesting.
3. Ammo/'nade pickup without picking up weapons?

I can guess the answer for all three will be "No, no, no."

No change to the UI, so most likely no for all 3. I think the only way is if 343 releases new playlists with those features already included.

Woorloog

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
This game has the best UI ever.
notsureifserious.jpg

As i said, i guess the answers are no.
I wonder though... since Invasion Skirmish was released, could it be possible for 343i to make an asymmetrical gametype, with, say, two Spartan teams with different traits (like one having shields and the other one having camo and no shields)?

Tashi0106 said:

I winced and had a sharp intake of breath

The worst i've seen? Well this game was two days ago, the biggest blowout i've been a part of in any Halo. Note this wasn't me and four others paired up, it was me and one other, the rest were randoms

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=763628014&player=The Henery

Yes I was one of the kills for the opposing team lololol

Woorloog said:
notsureifserious.jpg

As i said, i guess the answers are no.
I wonder though... since Invasion Skirmish was released, could it be possible for 343i to make an asymmetrical gametype, with, say, two Spartan teams with different traits (like one having shields and the other one having camo and no shields)?

I am completely serious. This game could be one thousand times worse, and the UI would almost make it ok.

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.halopedian.com/Armor_Permutation_Glitch
Whoah? Since the holo-model can glitch and have an armor/helmet attachment combination that is not really possible to obtain but can exists, could new armor added in as additional helmet attachments combinations?

A27_StarWolf said:
I am completely serious. This game could be one thousand times worse, and the UI would almost make it ok.
I don't agree with the latter part... Good UI doesn't make a bad game ok. Not even almost. (And Reach is not a bad game)
Yes, Reach has quite good UI but it could be improved still and then there's a couple of UI related glitches. Crouch and activate menu and you're weapon will fire. Press A repeatedly while choosing armor ability till you spawn and you will throw a 'nade the moment you spawn.
IIRC. Will need to check, annoying glitches in any case. And yes, these are not directly related to the quality of UI.

xxxstylzxxx said:
Unless you have host which more or less produces a radar jamming effect for the entire game. Red dots everywhere.

Wait what? Could you explain this?

TheOddOne said:
True story: I am afraid to even jump off of it. I'm always stuck there.

I suspect a fair number of my suicides are from attempting to hit the landing pads on spire.

Woorloog

Banned
I'll be Forging an Invasion map, well, at least starting to, i have a good idea (though whether it'll work needs to be seen) but first i need to know a thing or two:
I've heard, err, read people complaining about Reach (custom MM) maps having bad sight lines. What is good then?
My invasion map will have custom tailored loadouts, ideally it would have non-standard Spartan/Elite traits but since those are impossible, i'll work with what i've got.
Also, is there any general Invasion map desing do's and don't do's?

feel

:lol :lol

Was I really the only one to pose with the Assault Rifle?? Red MKVI badass right in the middle, trolling like a boss.

Buen trabajo Gabo

Gui_PT

A27 Tawpgun said:
It's not 1980x1020. I can't even zoom in.

Yeah, not the right res. But I didn't want to say anything since he did such a good jog :lol

Edit: Also, it's supposed to be 1900x1080 ...?

Tashi0106 said:

Posted once again to show how the true skill system may not be working as intended:

heavylifting.png

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=765950829&player=lx STYLZ xl

Based on the many variables, as pointed out by Fyrewulff, that led to such a matchup taking place I'm not sure what the most practical solution to refining the current formula may be (not allowing guest participation would be a start) but something really needs to be done about this.

edit:nice job Gabotron, very tempted to make this my permanent wallpaper.

Top Bottom