• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

stephen08 said:
Except that you'd get that 600 credits regardless of length but in the time it takes you to earn the 1800 you could be on to the next game earning credits there and getting another slot machine.
If people were finishing there games in 2 minutes more time would be spent in the post game and matchmaking lobbies than actually playing the game :/ Why not give a team credit payout for completing the objectives? This would stop people from objective holding and also encourage teams to keep playing even if it looks like they are going to lose. They would get more credits for losing with 1 flag cap than they would with zero.

I missed some of the Beaver Creek discussion - I think I like the new layout. I'm interested to see how it plays out. It's not quite the same, but similar enough to like. So far it's the one I'm most excited about.

Karl2177 said:
If you really want to penalize quitters (and still make it fair) make it so they can't join another game until the one they quit out of is finished. This way if you are the last guy you can leave and there's no issue. You quit at the start because you lost the race to rockets, you deal with the consequences.
This seems like a good idea

senador said:
Yeah for sure. I don't like being told I am part of the problem though when I feel the game threw me some unfair circumstances.

No worries though, I am also a bit on edge. I've been considering leaving my job. I have been very unhappy at work for too long for way too many reasons. I've just decided to do it. Heading in now. Wish me luck.
wow good luck

Captain Blood said:
If people were finishing there games in 2 minutes more time would be spent in the post game and matchmaking lobbies than actually playing the game :/ Why not give a team credit payout for completing the objectives? This would stop people from objective holding and also encourage teams to keep playing even if it looks like they are going to lose. They would get more credits for losing with 1 flag cap than they would with zero.

EDIT: Never mind, I saw you said team, my bad.

heckfu

Banned
150 miles away from Atlanta and still doing ok. So the tally of things Alabama has going for it is at 1 with 'ok internet.'

1445080476.png

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
Im firmly in the Do Not Quit Catagory regarding the quitters discussion, i have quit in the past but recently i just dont, even if its 8 on 1 i wont quit.

Im not trying to be some hero or anything i just dont see the point, i can handle myself well enough when facing multiple opponents to still have fun. If i get betrayed intentionally i might make it my mission for a min or so to grief the other guy, usually ends in another betrayal and i boot them.
This is one of the worst posts in this thread. Fucking over the other players in an unenjoyable game that you don't get penalized for ending swiftly. Fucking over the players on your team by detrimentally engaging them and ending up a man down.

Tha Robbertster said:
Then you either have to give the whole team points for capping a flag or risk major betraying of the flag guy.
That is why I said team credit payout. The whole team would get the payout. A flag cap is usually a team effort so I don't see why just the player capturing the flag should get the credits.

Edit: no worries, I am posting from my phone and missed you edit.

PooBone

senador said:
Yeah for sure. I don't like being told I am part of the problem though when I feel the game threw me some unfair circumstances.

No worries though, I am also a bit on edge. I've been considering leaving my job. I have been very unhappy at work for too long for way too many reasons. I've just decided to do it. Heading in now. Wish me luck.
Good luck! Stick it to the man!

wwm0nkey said:
What an awesome gif.

Hola from Mexico! Just quickly popping my head in to see if anything significant has happened in the last few days. Or is it all super quiet before PAX?

FyreWulff said:

Thanks! That explains why I didnt know about the grifball changes, when I read the changelog I must have assumed the changes were minor lol.

Since im here, I have a question to ask, I already tried asking this on the general gaming side but didnt really get a specific solution, but who knows maybe someone on HaloGaf has directly come across this problem. Basically on some games my Xbox shuts down and gives me 2 red lights. From what ive read this could either be due to a overheating issue or just a general hardware failure. I havent opened my xbox up yet but before I do I was wondering if you guys know a better solution?

Im well out of warruntee and if dusting it down doesnt fix it its likely I will have to buy a new 360, I should really look into backing up all my content onto an external USB now just in case I guess. Can you transfer across save game files? What about Halo theatre mode files? They seem to be locked down?

Halo 3 and Reach seem to be safe, so hopefully CEA will be safe, but having a gimped Xbox is going to really be annoying. :/

stephen08

Captain Blood said:
Oh I agree, I think the payout system needs to be rethought but as it is it does not encourage games to last as long as possible as some people are claiming.

PNut

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
Since im here, I have a question to ask, I already tried asking this on the general gaming side but didnt really get a specific solution, but who knows maybe someone on HaloGaf has directly come across this problem. Basically on some games my Xbox shuts down and gives me 2 red lights. From what ive read this could either be due to a overheating issue or just a general hardware failure. I havent opened my xbox up yet but before I do I was wondering if you guys know a better solution?

I had this same problem several months back with the old model XBOX. Eventually, it got to the point where it wouldn't even boot up. I found a cheap (temporary) fix on Youtube but you have to go into your XBOX. Only took about 30 minutes and it worked. Well, for about 4 months after that.

Woorloog said:
Any Forgers both love and hate Forge World? I see a thousand potential maps in each place/area in FW. Which one i'd like to make? Which could actually work? Et cetera.
Considering making an Invasion map. Alaska+Montana would make a good setting. The problem is, the map would be quite huge. Too big probably. Alaska might do it, if i set the final objective in a building above gap beetween it and Montana. Of course such building is a potential frame rate hit... And without Montana, i can't make good bridges to my map. I like bridges. And using a part of Montana doesn't look good, i don't like setting large walls to block of areas, i'd rather use natural barriers or not use an area.
And while i'd like to make an Invasion map, i have a great idea for a normal Slayer/Objective map as well. ><

Forge world has proved to be elusive to my forging. I forged on H3 all the time, but every time I look at forge world I feel like I've seen too much of it. I did just get back into it though.

The connection problems I was experiencing recently have forced me to venture solo into forge world to get my Halo fix. I had a good time forging, and I was actually thinking about it so much after I had trouble sleeping. It does suck that you always have to take frame rate into account, but that is one part about Reach that separates the good from the, well, less good.

squidhands said:
Pretty quiet, unless you'd like to continue to throw your hat into the Objective holding/quitting debate.

Stay safe in Mexico.
"...I don't like to simplistically vilify an entire country- but Mexico's a horrible place."
[totallyrandomhistory] Speaking of Mexico, I remember watching The Animated series of Ace Ventura as a kid, he "supossedly" travelled to Pamplona (Spain) to take part into a bull run, everything was normal until I saw a dude taking a nap on the street while rocking a poncho and a jumbo size mexican hat. I was like wtf dude... :/
[/totallyrandomhistory]

Edit: 4 days!

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks! That explains why I didnt know about the grifball changes, when I read the changelog I must have assumed the changes were minor lol.

Im well out of warruntee and if dusting it down doesnt fix it its likely I will have to buy a new 360, I should really look into backing up all my content onto an external USB now just in case I guess. Can you transfer across save game files? What about Halo theatre mode files? They seem to be locked down?

Halo 3 and Reach seem to be safe, so hopefully CEA will be safe, but having a gimped Xbox is going to really be annoying. :/
Have you tried going to xbox.com and requesting a repair? It'll usually tell you what's wrong.

squidhands said:
Pretty quiet, unless you'd like to continue to throw your hat into the Objective holding/quitting debate.

Stay safe in Mexico.
"...I don't like to simplistically vilify an entire country- but Mexico's a horrible place."
On that debate: Either the match is too close to do such a thing or my team rolls them to a two minute victory or until they quit out. It's meh.

I'm staying with my gf and her family in Mexico City. I've read enough BBC News articles on the rest of the country so I know to be cautious :p

El Del Paso is the greatest lie ever. Authentic Mexican food is crazy delicious!

Her bro gave me a cool hard case dvd of Halo Legends as I gave him Evolutions. I saw his MC cat helmet in his room, this gal is a keeper :p

Objective payouts in credits for objectives should be highest for the team that capped fastest. Not who killed the most. Also there shouldn't be a tie, the winner should go to the team that capped in the least amount of cumulative time.

AND if the red team (defense) caps once and the blue team fails to cap on their two rounds, there should be an option to forgo the last round. Same as if blue capped twice and red team didn't, the fourth round should be dropped. I get that in the scheme of equal stats in terms of flag caps and such it makes sense to have the same amount of rounds. But that last round is such a waste of everyone's time.

There's just so much stuff that it seems went into this game without someone taking a critical look at it.

squidhands said:
Amazing movie. Thank you for reminding me of it, I need to go buy the DVD and watch it again.

--
My effort to write up my ideas for the Service Record/cR payouts has turned into a daunting task. If I ever manage to do it the article will be quite lengthy and convoluted - it's impossible to properly explain my reasoning without getting into other opinions and ideas regarding betrayal booting, quit bans, challenges, commendations, mercy/surrender rules, firefight/campaign modes, etc. It's all interconnected and leaving that stuff out makes it sound incomplete.

If nothing else I wouldn't mind chatting about it at PAX while waiting in one of the many lines. Maybe I'll have time to write everything out on my flight this Thursday. If I do end up making an article of it I'd still like to photoshop some of the UI impacts into Reach screenshots.

wwm0nkey said:
Don't you guys just fucking LOVE when your whole team quits out on you 2 times in a row!

64Q8

My ultimate favorite (although it hasn't happened in a while since I play mainly with full parties) is when my douchebag team mates vote for something shitty (I can tell by the number of votes) and then quit out leaving me to not only play alone but in the bullshit gametype those idiots voted for.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
My ultimate favorite (although it hasn't happened in a while since I play mainly with full parties) is when my douchebag team mates vote for something shitty (I can tell by the number of votes) and then quit out leaving me to not only play alone but in the bullshit gametype those idiots voted for.
Oh that happened in the games I mentioned too, I really wish there was a harsher system that punished the people that quit all the time.

Do something like a player is allowed 3 quits a day after they hit that mark they will loose 5k Cr per game they quit.

Ken

wwm0nkey said:
Do something like a player is allowed 3 quits a day after they hit that mark they will loose 5k Cr per game they quit.
A small price to pay for quitting out of terrible games. It wouldn't work.

What happened to their proposed quitters system of pairing quitters with quitters and keeping them out of the pool of non-quitters. Seemed like an amazing solution had it worked well or was even implemented.

Devolution said:
Depends. If they voted for it and keep quitting out of games, I just have no sympathy. If it's someone stuck with betraying assholes or in some gametype they really didn't want to play, then I feel bad. Getting Uncaged has brought me so close to quitting, especially when someone on my own team trolls and votes for it.

I'd imagine the former occurs a lot more than the latter, and making quits fee based would probably increase the frequency of those types of quitters.

In your case of the troll votes, you could make use of the 3 free quits. Frequent quitters would make use of the 5k cR quits afterwards. Regardless, I don't think it'd work well overall and hurt the game more in the end.

wwm0nkey said:
Oh that happened in the games I mentioned too, I really wish there was a harsher system that punished the people that quit all the time.

There should be a compounded penalty if they voted for the damn gametype as well.

Ken said:
A small price to pay for quitting out of terrible games. It wouldn't work.

Depends. If they voted for it and keep quitting out of games, I just have no sympathy. If it's someone stuck with betraying assholes or in some gametype they really didn't want to play, then I feel bad. Getting Uncaged has brought me so close to quitting, especially when someone on my own team trolls and votes for it.

Devolution said:
AND if the red team (defense) caps once and the blue team fails to cap on their two rounds, there should be an option to forgo the last round. Same as if blue capped twice and red team didn't, the fourth round should be dropped. I get that in the scheme of equal stats in terms of flag caps and such it makes sense to have the same amount of rounds. But that last round is such a waste of everyone's time.

There's just so much stuff that it seems went into this game without someone taking a critical look at it.

Another good instance to put a mercy mechanic in place.

wwm0nkey

Ken said:
What happened to their proposed quitters system of pairing quitters with quitters and keeping them out of the pool of non-quitters. Seemed like an amazing solution had it worked well or was even implemented.
Ah those where they days when we where promised so much :)

Striker

Captain Blood said:
That is why I said team credit payout. The whole team would get the payout. A flag cap is usually a team effort so I don't see why just the player capturing the flag should get the credits.

Edit: no worries, I am posting from my phone and missed you edit.
Agree, team based awards should have been in from the get-go for CTF, Assault, etc. Really a big disregard from Bungie, who at least in Halo 1 and Halo 2, seemed to love their objective based games and got excited at making maps for it (see early vids of 1-flag Zanzibar).

Sigh.

Hopefully 343 doesn't make the same mistake.

Havok

wwm0nkey said:
Ah those where they days when we where promised so much :)
...it was 2002 to now, then?

(snarkiness aside, I'd love to see what was left on the cutting room floor that we weren't ever told about because of the nightmare that was Halo 2 PR)

cory021

Neo Member
I was thinking, why isn't 3-flag in Big Team Battle? I've played it a few times on Asylum and Zealot. Its fun, but with those small maps, it tends to get way too chaotic to understand what's happening.

That same gametype would fit perfectly on a 8v8 map like Hemorrhage or Highlands. Multiflag in BTB usually requires either a stealthy-but-lucky approach, or pushing the enemy back to the point where they are being spawn killed just to capture the flag.

This is just my opinion, but one of the reasons BTB flag isn't as fun as it used to be is the ease at which players are able to defend/camp their bases. Hemorrhage gives almost no reward to players that control the middle of the canyon, plus there is a Shotgun right next to their base. Highlands has more incentive to controlling the middle, but it's still easy to take a sniper and rocket and hold your own base. Having a neutral objective will actually force players to move from their base and fight to control parts of the map.

On top of that, having a neutral objective would encourage players to funnel into certain areas of the map, while still trying to make sure no enemies slip by their defenses with a Warthog run. Imagine 8 players converging on the Plasma Launcher spawn on Hemo to fight over the neutral flag, while other Warthogs will try and make a run to the enemy base. You'd hardly have to worry about players camping in their base, since they will likely be out trying to fight over the middle ground instead.

Striker

If anything there should be Neutral Flag, not 3 Flag. Neutral Flag was amazing on Waterworks in Halo 2 BTB. Not sure what maps would favor it positively though.

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
Skill level and connection are much more important than this. If you split the population into quitters and non quitters, your chances of getting an equal skill level at a decent connection are much lower.

Ken

Tunavi said:
Skill level and connection are much more important than this. If you split the population into quitters and non quitters, your chances of getting an equal skill level at a decent connection are much lower.
Too bad that both poor connections and quitters still end up as popular complaints, and equal skill level doesn't seem to be a huge factor in MM searches either going by the copious amounts of live stream cleansing and poor random teammates.

So if skill level match-ups and connections are already a problem, then 343 should put more focus on that for Halo 4, not ignore it for the quitting population

Let's hope so.

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
Too bad that both poor connections and quitters still end up as popular complaints, and skill level doesn't seem to match very well either going by all the cleansing and poor random teammates happening around here.
So if skill level match-ups and connections are already a problem, then 343 should put more focus on that for Halo 4, not ignore it for the quitting population

cory021

Neo Member
Striker said:
If anything there should be Neutral Flag, not 3 Flag. Neutral Flag was amazing on Waterworks in Halo 2 BTB. Not sure what maps would favor it positively though.
I'm sure 3 flag and neutral flag would play relatively the same with BTB. The difference is that in neutral flag, all 8 players will be fighting over the one middle flag. With 3-flag, there will likely be one or two players on each team attempting to go past the middle flag and capture the enemy flag. Having this little bit of pressure taken off the neutral flag will make the game overall a little less frustrating to play since you'll only maybe have to compete against 4-6 other players on the other team, as opposed to all 8.

Top Bottom