• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
There's probably changes that are easy to recognize and do. Then there is more subtle stuff that needs fine tuning not just an abrupt on/off type change.

Going through certification twice, and possibly introducing bugs and stuff sounds bad. 2 TUs is a possibility, but I'm going to go with just playlist tweaks after the TU drops.

Kuroyume said:
Are those the only changes? No mention of speed boost or grenade nerf?

I think we haven't heard everything yet. We heard all this before the show even started!

Havok said:
A nerf in the form of a bullet to its head, removing it from the game forever and always? Sounds great!
It needs to be either an Elite-only AA, or adjusted for Spartans for more of a Gears of War-style roll. The flying leap is ridiculous.

heckfu said:
oh my god. we're all going to be in that beta hopper arent we?
We better be.

Havok said:
A nerf in the form of a bullet to its head, removing it from the game forever and always? Sounds great!

The AA is fine, its just a playlist management thing that needs to be fixed. Evade was designed for Elites, in Invasion, that's where it should stay. Spartans should not have access to the AA.

FyreWulff

senador said:
The more I think of it its got to be the latter. TU enabling tweaks, "beta" hoppers, take feedback, make tweaks in time for CEA.

Edit: Fyrewulf must have never experienced Camo snipers or, Camo campers or....*gasp*....is one! ;)

Playing Team Snipers is a waste of a Gold subscription. All you have to do to find a camo'd camper is to look for the center of the dot cloud, which is easy to do

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Playing Team Snipers is a waste of a Gold subscription. All you have to do to find a camo'd camper is to look for the center of the dot cloud, which is easy to do

I'm not talking Team Snipers.

Oh Fyre, sometimes you so silly... When a invis guy is across the map with a sniper, on say Asylum, its cheap as hell and you are too far away to look for the "dot cloud". For CQC campers, its not that simple either when you are busy fighting his teammates. You can't stop to look for him.

FyreWulff

senador said:
I'm not talking Team Snipers.

Oh Fyre, sometimes you so silly... When a invis guy is across the map with a sniper, on say Asylum, its cheap as hell and you are too far away to look for the "dot cloud". For CQC campers, its not that simple either when you are busy fighting his teammates. You can't stop to look for him.

I've never had a problem with this. We just call out where the camo'd sniper just got us from and his position is known.

All this is going to do is make the snipers hide behind rocks for the recharge more frequently. Rocks they were already sniping behind from with only thier arm visible. I've never seen one try to stay in the middle of a map and be a camo sniper. Thatd be suicidal.

Kujo

HEADLONG?!?!?! Yes, now please delete all Forge World maps in BTB and have this exclusively

(As for Evade, played an entire BTB team yesterday with all using Evade as their AA, you shoot their sheilds off, they fly off screen within a second and another just rolls in from no where to finish you off. Fucking. Annoying.)

FyreWulff said:
I've never had a problem with this. We just call out where the camo'd sniper just got us from and his position is known.

All this is going to do is make the snipers hide behind rocks for the recharge more frequently. Rocks they were already sniping behind from with only thier arm visible. I've never seen one try to stay in the middle of a map and be a camo sniper. Thatd be suicidal.

Meh the longer they are hiding behind the rock the less time they are getting to shoot.

Honestly I think the camo change is long overdue, now I just hope they announce that they made the Sniper a little more difficult to use.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:

What's wrong with you? Really?

I don't mean to be rude, but you are against ANY change, its weird.

So, Camo nerf is going to make a camo sniper play more like a sniper with the other AAs? Cool, sold, sign me up.

I just don't understand how you want the game to stay as is, and you've never felt cheated by it at all.

FyreWulff

senador said:
What's wrong with you? Really?

I don't mean to be rude, but you are against ANY change, its weird.

So, Camo nerf is going to make a camo sniper play more like a sniper with the other AAs? Cool, sold, sign me up.

I just don't understand how you want the game to stay as is, and you've never felt cheated by it at all.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to put words into my mouth. I don't think Reach is perfect, but the camo nerf is damn near pointless. Better off deleting the AA from certain playlists that it does not work well for instead of trying to compromise with some sort of weird halfway point. See

If anything "needed" a nerf besides Armor Lock, Evade would have been the #2 candidate, then Jetpack. Camo is right above Hologram, which is on the bottom of the list, for changes.

Tunavi

Banned
All the armor abilties need nerfing. Buff the core game mechanics like movement, jump height.

If it were up to me, this game would be sprint only. But you gotta keep those casuals around for the big bucks

Havok

J10 said:
They fucking ruined Armor Lock. Cocksuckers.

Sigh. OK, I'm over it. The new maps look sweet.
Ruined? They corrected a huge error made during its design. The solution to fighting an Armor Lock-er should never have been 'wait it out.' This allows attackers to be proactive, while you still get your burst of invincibility.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
Ruined? They corrected a huge error made during its design. The solution to fighting an Armor Lock-er should never have been 'wait it out.' This allows attackers to be proactive, while you still get your burst of invincibility.

Exactly. While i won't deny using it I'll be the first to admit that Armor Lock was indeed overpowered in that regard.

Damn I love that armor lock question though about armor locking to contain the sticky explosion to save teammates.

Tunavi

Banned
Frankie: "You can play Reach maps from the CEA disk if its installed on your hard drive"

Cool, never putting in the Reach disk again

Can 343 revert most of Reach's vehicle mechanics back to Halo 3's as well? Driving a Warthog or flying a Banshee in Reach are simply just hollow experiences after playing the previous games.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
Frankie: "You can play Reach maps from the CEA disk if its installed on your hard drive"

Cool, never putting in the Reach disk again
I think he meant the maps that are DLC and the maps CEA comes with, you won't be able to play Boardwalk otherwise Tunavi.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Something Wicked said:
Can 343 revert most of Reach's vehicle mechanics back to Halo 3's as well? Driving a Warthog or flying a Banshee in Reach are simply just hollow experiences after playing the previous games.

Can they? Yeah, they probably can. But it's probably not within the scope of this TU. That sort of change would require much more work and time and resources. Halo 4 is just around the corner, pretty sure the vehicle sandbox will be entirely overhauled for it.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to put words into my mouth. I don't think Reach is perfect, but the camo nerf is damn near pointless. Better off deleting the AA from certain playlists that it does not work well for instead of trying to compromise with some sort of weird halfway point. See

If anything "needed" a nerf besides Armor Lock, Evade would have been the #2 candidate, then Jetpack. Camo is right above Hologram, which is on the bottom of the list, for changes.

I didn't put any words in your mouth, sorry if you thought I did, I wasn't intending that. Its just that every change that comes up or is suggested you argue against and say something like "there is no problem with that, just do X" or something along those lines.

I think that all AAs should be tweaked, but I am glad Camo is at least getting some. I have been encountering 3-4 people on a team using it lately and it sucks, especially when they are all in the same place.

----
I'm discussing AAs with a friend right now and he is a fan, mostly because of Jet Pack. I told him to switch to Sprint exclusively for a while and he'll see why I hate some of them so bad. He said "I could say you should try jetpacking more and get better at it. I recognize certain matches I just get raped and have to switch to a different AA". I think that's a poor way to balance them. I don't want to use AL, or Camo, or Jet Pack. I think they are cheap and I don't feel rewarded when I used them.

AAs are just so frustrating to me now...and I liked them at launch! I think I'll be living in the new playlists when they come.

J10 said:
They fucking ruined Armor Lock. Cocksuckers.

Sigh. OK, I'm over it. The new maps look sweet.
FrankieErotica_09.jpg

Eww.

ElRenoRaven

Plywood said:
I think he meant the maps that are DLC and the maps CEA comes with, you won't be able to play Boardwalk otherwise Tunavi.

No what he quoted is what Frankie said. They really made it seem that maybe Anniversary may draw from installed Reach to load those maps.

senador

Banned
Did they just confirm Headlong in the Q&A? If we are going off the board, its possible that was just a brainstorm thing and its not actually in. I'd love to play Headlong but I think I'd rather it be a disc map in 4.

I wonder why they didn't have map 7 in the video? :/

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, is Headlong actually confirmed? I don't want to freak out prematurely and get disappointed later!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PsychoRaven said:
No what he quoted is what Frankie said. They really made it seem that maybe Anniversary may draw from installed Reach to load those maps.
That'd be a nice technical feat if so.

Havok

omg.kittens said:
Yeah, is Headlong actually confirmed? I don't want to freak out prematurely and get disappointed later!
Nah, the whiteboard shot is the only thing we have suggesting it. It'd be crazy to show that and not have it ship, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Gabotron ES said:
Best looking map ever.
Seriously. So gorgeous. It gives me that feeling of wonder and awe that I got when first playing CE.

Edit: Looking at the fly through, it strikes me that we're seeing Forerunner architecture that we've never seen before. Totally new stuff. Those spinning structures in the snowfield in the background are definitely new. I wonder if this is a preview of things to come in Halo 4?

Top Bottom