• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

So, about Prisoner/Solitary. What are the odds that there is a tie in with either Cryptum or Halo 4? Im thinking it may be containment for something other than the flood.

One way or another it makes a great looking map.

ElRenoRaven

Demoncarnotaur said:
So, about Prisoner/Solitary. What are the odds that there is a tie in with either Cryptum or Halo 4? Im thinking it may be containment for something other than the flood.

One way or another it makes a great looking map.

I certainly don't think it housed flood at all. Doesn't show any signs of flood having been kept there like other maps in the past games which did have them kept there have shown.

But honestly who knows. I doubt we'll ever get areal answer on that.

PsychoRaven said:
I certainly don't think it housed flood at all. Doesn't show any signs of flood having been kept there like other maps in the past games which did have them kept there have shown.

But honestly who knows. I doubt we'll ever get areal answer on that.

It was a forerunner facility to hold the flood, hence the name. It's in Installation 04.

Devolution said:
It was a forerunner facility to hold the flood, hence the name. It's in Installation 04.

That didn't look like a Halo ring in the walkthrough video. It certainly was a snowy forerunner world though. I doubt its any huge hint or anything, but they do like to keep MP maps in cannon so I would be surprised if they put some small hints in.

FyreWulff

Also, just thought I'd like to mention that it's really neat how the pieces of the Believe Diorama are there at Halofest. Really makes you appreciate the work that went into making them.

FyreWulff

Any PAX Gaffers participating in the Forge tournament? I'm going to sign up for it tommorow, because seriously it's something I have yet to ever see.

The Real Napsta said:
I missed everything after that boring community panel, anyone want to fill me in real quick?

Please?

EDIT: LFG Turning Point!

They looked pretty good, but still got 3-0'd by the God Squad.

senador

Banned
I am now more confused than ever about how the changes and such will be implemented into matchmaking. They remove bloom and add melee bleed through and its assumed there will be no AAs for classic play. They say Reach as it is won't be touched. But then they also nerd some AAs. They also are adding an "Anniversary" pistol as well as no boom. Super lost now.

Possibilities I can think of:

1. CEA Classic Playlists, Reach as-is playlists, and modified Reach with no bloom and other tweaks
2. CEA Classic Playlists, Reach playlists with tweaks even though they say "no-changes"
3. CEA Classic Playlists, but add new "Zero Bloom Slayer" game types for Reach playlists
4. CEA Classic Playlists with gametype options for AA or no AA gametypes

I am hoping for the 2nd, but that doesn't seem likely. So which is it? I am super confused. Am I right, or did I miss something?

Not happy with the machinima contest results.

Sure, Topgun didn't win... but the one they chose was not one I thought deserved to win when comparing it to other videos.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
Yeah I noticed that too, must be a new thing they're doing. I have a feeling said "snow world" might be something in h4.

Yup could be. So see it could have been something other then flood confined there. lol

I'd uh... really like to get some more information on the TU over the next couple of days.

Obviously 343i know what they're doing - and I'm sure the ROF-capped Magnum will be impressive... however I'm very, very interested in how the DMR fits into all of this (I know it's for range, but a bloomless 5 shot DMR seems like a mediocre weapon compared to a 3 shot magnum). On top of that, I'm sure most people are still concerned about the banshee-abuse, strafing and grenades. I don't expect that the TU will fix/change everything, but I imagine that grenades should be fairly high priority given their power/radius at the moment.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
KidA Seven said:
True. Still waiting to see how Infamous/Dynasty stacks up to the God Squad.

I haven't seen how Instinct is playing this event but as far as I'm concerned everyone is playing for 2nd place.

I already posted in the HaloFest thread but I'm gonna copy/paste cuz this is my real home.

I always knew that Reach wasn't beyond saving and holy fuck are 343 saving it. Everything about this TU just looks so good. Everything.

My only wish now is that the majority of the player population abandons vanilla Reach so 343 can just switch everything over to Classic++ and we can pretend that first year never happened.

I wonder where the DMR will be placed in bloomless 3SK gametypes. Semi-sniper? Seems redundant.

And why does IGN have their HaloIGN Youtube channel if they're not even going to upload every video there? Their website player is ass.

PNut

Banned
Stripper13 said:
... however I'm very, very interested in how the DMR fits into all of this (I know it's for range, but a bloomless 5 shot DMR seems like a mediocre weapon compared to a 3 shot magnum). On top of that, I'm sure most people are still concerned about the banshee-abuse, strafing and grenades. I don't expect that the TU will fix/change everything, but I imagine that grenades should be fairly high priority given their power/radius at the moment.

I was wondering these things too. Will there even be DMR's in the CEA playlists, or weak vehicles, over powered grenades, etc....

Also posted in the MLG thread about Reach when I was checking out the Halofest thread on the gaming side. Bad idea.

senador said:
^^ I dunno. That's what I was kind of getting at several posts above too. It just doesn't make sense yet.

This cutscene looks so good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3FgK6OSyzs&feature=player_detailpage#t=589s
I'm not going to think about it too hard right now. It'll just give me a headache. Just going to watch 3SK Magnum videos and scream FUCK YEAH.

And really? I thought the cutscene looked unfinished/so-so. Master Chief's head when he turns around and takes aim looks too low and seems to be clipping into his chest. And the way the marine's body just hangs in the air for a split second before dropping looks pretty crappy. The body also looks completely weightless when the Chief is aiming around the room. Looks rough.

Sai-kun

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
I'm not going to think about it too hard right now. It'll just give me a headache. Just going to watch 3SK Magnum videos and scream FUCK YEAH.

And really? I thought the cutscene looked unfinished/so-so. Master Chief's head when he turns around and takes aim looks too low and seems to be clipping into his chest. And the way the marine's body just hangs in the air for a split second before dropping looks pretty crappy. The body also looks completely weightless when the Chief is aiming around the room. Looks rough.

Yeah it LOOKS really good, but the animation is definitely not finished, you can tell.

feel

Halo MP maps in gorgeous and mysterious totally unknown locations = Win

v Jealous!! I was just looking at a video about those at kotaku, and thinking of how great it would be to play CEA campaign using one.

Wow so much to catch up on here.

I'll writeup a full thing later, but in short this.

G59Zjl.jpg

zDmaUl.jpg

Also breakfast is still a go for tomorrow I assume? I haven't heard anyone really talk about it...

senador

Banned
Barrow Roll said:

Maybe it is finished though and its just a limitation of working with the CE engine? That's what I assumed and it didn't really bother me. Of course if it was an all new game that wouldn't sit right with me.

senador said:
Maybe it is finished though and its just a limitation of working with the CE engine? That's what I assumed and it didn't really bother me. Of course if it was an all new game that wouldn't sit right with me.
God I hope that the CE engine isn't limiting new animations. Anything that affects gameplay I understand leaving alone but if the characters in this game have CE mouth movements...well that would just be hilariously bad.

And wtf Devin, did you win one of those bad boys?

senador

Banned
Barrow Roll said:
God I hope that the CE engine isn't limiting new animations. Anything that affects gameplay I understand leaving alone but if the characters in this game have CE mouth movements...well that would just be hilariously bad.

Well, we know they are changing some animations, I just don't know what that entails or will be.

Either way, I wasn't necessarily talking about the animations, just how Chief and the environment looked.

Devin Olsen said:
Wow so much to catch up on here.

I'll writeup a full thing later, but in short this.

G59Zjl.jpg

zDmaUl.jpg

Also breakfast is still a go for tomorrow I assume? I haven't heard anyone really talk about it...

I see that swag on the table. =P

senador said:
Well, we know they are changing some animations, I just don't know what that entails or will be.

Either way, I wasn't necessarily talking about the animations, just how Chief and the environment looked.
Oh yeah, graphically the game looks beautiful. I wish Reach didn't go for that gritty washed out look because CEA has gorgeous colors. Just hoping them animations get modernized. I mean, going from wicked mo-cap in Reach to 10 year old animations even with a great face lift would be disappointing.

Tashi0106 said:
ewww the Duke
Haters gonna hate. <3 the Duke. :(

Speaking of Duke, did you guys have any different names for the controller? Me and my friends used to call it the "Quarter Pounder". And then ironically enough, my friend got cheese whiz in the right joystick cradle thing so it was then dubbed the "Quarter Pounder with Cheese". :lol It made it so you could turn left as fast.

I miss those days. :(

-Yeti said:
Haters gonna hate. <3 the Duke. :(
The Duke is awesome. I hated the black and white button placement on the S so much. And the back and start button placement. So bad. Of course they're both inferior to the 360 pad.

VV :lol so tempted to avatar that.

senador

Banned
My friends and I used to call it "The Chubb". I loved that thing. I hated the S.

Mind blown when I found that the OG Xbox and controllers were tinted green.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devin Olsen said:
There are six of these bad boys in existence!

Ok that's pretty damn cool. It's definitely an awesome collector's item, just don't ask me to play with one of those lol

Top Bottom