• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Devolution said:
Oh boy, how should I put this, you aren't the only eye candy in halogaf my friend.
Pffft, okay.

And I finally got my replacement Razer Onza so I'll probably jump back on Reach after I finish Ocarina of Time 3D.

GhaleonEB

VIP party was fun. HaloFest is gud, very smartly laid out. A lot of the exhibition hall is not well designed to move people around, but the HaloFest layout is well distributed and thought out. I didn't play a ton, mostly just sat back and watched. Was good to meet a lot of folks. Had a few moments that made my heart go all pitter pat.

The cake looked great, and tasted good. Cake goes a long ways with me. Great day, and it I'm grateful to have been invited to tonight's bash. 343 and company put on a good party.

Tomorrow will be even better.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Glad you liked it, Ghal. I had a blast, too.

Blood, Ram and I are out for the breakfast. We're beat.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Devin Olsen said:
Wow so much to catch up on here.

I'll writeup a full thing later, but in short this.

http://i.imgur.com/G59Zjl.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zDmaUl.jpg[IMG]

Also breakfast is still a go for tomorrow I assume? I haven't heard anyone really talk about it...[/QUOTE]

That's cool and all, but is there something that goes over the batteries? That looks like something...I could do. I was expecting Ben Heck level goodness.

GhaleonEB said:
VIP party was fun. HaloFest is gud, very smartly laid out. A lot of the exhibition hall is not well designed to move people around, but the HaloFest layout is well distributed and thought out. I didn't play a ton, mostly just sat back and watched. Was good to meet a lot of folks. Had a few moments that made my heart go all pitter pat.

The cake looked great, and tasted good. Cake goes a long ways with me. Great day, and it I'm grateful to have been invited to tonight's bash. 343 and company put on a good party.

Tomorrow will be even better.
Yup I had a ton of fun. There were definitely more people in there during the VIP party than there was during the day, but we still managed to get a lot of time with all the TU goodness :)

Ramirez

TU is good stuff, the three shot magnum is fun, but it still has bloom on it, not full bloom, but some. I found the bloomless DMR to be the most fun personally, it's hard to truly get a good feel n everything when you're playing on a 40"+ tv and you're like a foot from it, lol. All of the maps are awesome though, really can't wait until the TU is out, gun be gud.

Sai-kun

Banned
Devolution said:
Can I request a huge halogaf pic at some point? So me and sai can ogle, I mean uh so we can see you guys =).

Yes! A 2011 group photo would be rad so Devo and I can ogle so you guys can have proof that you all hung out together :D

Ramirez

I passes Frank like ten times today, but never stopped him to say hi, he always looked busy, lol.

Anyways, off to bed for me, like five hours of sleep the past two days.

Woorloog

Banned
Ramirez said:
TU is good stuff, the three shot magnum is fun, but it still has bloom on it, not full bloom, but some. I found the bloomless DMR to be the most fun personally, it's hard to truly get a good feel n everything when you're playing on a 40"+ tv and you're like a foot from it, lol. All of the maps are awesome though, really can't wait until the TU is out, gun be gud.
Thank god... I mean, i'm all for buffed Reach pistol (4sk, less bloom and spread would've been my choice) but bloomless it would've been horribly OP in this sandbox. BTW, do you mean spread? Not that it really matters.
As my friend noted, Halo CE pistol in Reach would make AR (Spiker/Plasma Rifle/Repeater) completly useless outside coming from behind. But if it still has some spread, automatics still work as back ups. Unless they go and give AR 60 round mag and some more damage and less accuracy (and other automatics as well).
Reach is the first Halo where i prefer precision weapons to automatics. Halo CE AR felt great, in Halo 2 dual wielding SMGs (or other combos) was a lot of fun, in Halo 3 i loved beating down people with AR and some jumps. I don't mean i didn't/couldn't use precision weapons.

Woorloog said:
Thank god... I mean, i'm all for buffed Reach pistol (4sk, less bloom and spread would've been my choice) but bloomless it would've been horribly OP in this sandbox. BTW, do you mean spread? Not that it really matters.
As my friend noted, Halo CE pistol in Reach would make AR (Spiker/Plasma Rifle/Repeater) completly useless outside coming from behind. But if it still has some spread, automatics still work as back ups. Unless they go and give AR 60 round mag and some more damage and less accuracy (and other automatics as well).
Reach is the first Halo where i prefer precision weapons to automatics. Halo CE AR felt great, in Halo 2 dual wielding SMGs (or other combos) was a lot of fun, in Halo 3 i loved beating down people with AR and some jumps. I don't mean i didn't/couldn't use precision weapons.
Don't agree on the first point. There's nothing overpowered about any weapon when everyone starts with the same weapon. The second point I agree with and see nothing wrong with that, lol. This biggest balance for the pistol is the fact that it only has 8 bullets. There is the trade-off from using the DMR.

Woorloog

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
Don't agree on the first point. There's nothing overpowered about any weapon when everyone starts with the same weapon. The second point I agree with and see nothing wrong with that, lol.
I hate it when people think balance only as same weapon vs same weapon... A weapon is OP if it makes other weapons useless.
It's not a single weapon sandbox. People have preferrences (though i don't understand how people can prefer Reach AR to something else, it's too shitty). And standard lists absolutely should offer variety. Go play SWAT, Snipers or MLG if you want that single weapon sandbox or make your own game.

AR's role is close-short range combat. Therefore, it should be very effective choice there.
Reach (standard) Magnum's role is short range precision/long range harassing (well should be, someone fucked up the weapon, it's random and weak as it is) and as such should be effective there.
Etc etc.
Poweful high precision weapon (IE Halo CE pistol) with high rate of fire happens to work too well withing all ranges. There's nothing wrong with an utility weapon, as long as niche weapons actually work well or better at their roles. (So far, i'd say Halo 3's been closest to this.)

Deputy Moonman said:
This biggest balance for the pistol is the fact that it only has 8 bullets. There is the trade-off from using the DMR.
That is true but without modifying automatics they becomes COMPLETLY useless in standard Reach sandbox. Sandbox should not have useless weapon. Weapon whose role is attacking from behind is a bit too niche... i could just assassinate my target...

Look, automatics should be given a token buff so that noobs actually keep using them rather than moving on and starting to use pistol/DMR. I want my easy kills

I understand and it's cool. We have different views on the weapon sandbox. I like the assault rifle as a clean up weapon and not a primary weapon for getting kills. I welcome the TU changes that were showed today with open arms, but at least the original Reach settings will still be available to play for people on both sides of the assault rifle argument.

I am a huge fan of Combat Evolved, and even though the pistol was the go-to weapon in that game, there were a number of different scenarios that played out on a regular basis which required a person to switch to something else. Clip size, the amount of ammo that comes with each weapon, proximity (longe-range to mid-range to close-quarters combat), the attractiveness of picking up the power weapons, are all reasons that can change up the game.

My biggest pet peeve with Reach is the length of time that it takes to kill people when armor abilities and bloom are thrown in to the mix. AA's and power weapons become much more deadly and I feel it is this disparity that makes it less fun for me. So whether or not the assault rifle remains as a strong weapon is not really the biggest thing I'm worried about, anyway. I'll deal with the changes when they come.

Right now, the best analogy that I can give in regard to the announced TU changes is this: It's like when I've really been attracted to someone and had a major crush on that person for a considerable amount of time. Then all of a sudden the person likes me back and wants to be in a relationship. It's exciting, but all of a sudden I'm questioning if this was what I really wanted, and whether the relationship will be a good thing or a bad thing. All these changes with the TU are things that I've wanted for a really long time. Now that they've been announced, I hope that they will be a good thing in the end and that I'll be happy. I think I will be happy. But for all the complaining I've done, if these changes don't turn out to be as good as many of us have hoped I'm going to feel really stupid.

EDIT: Also, I'm playing Reach right now. If anyone is bored, feel free to send me an invite :p

Holy shit! so many things to catch up to after one night of sleep. Headlong being remaked and all the videos I missed.

The universe pannel was all kinds of awesome and I had so many laughs. And there are still full days left :D

Striker

Trasher said:
I didn't realize Headlong was so popular.
One of the great BTB maps, and asymmetric to boot. Something Halo 3 and Reach both lack.

Every BTB map from that game was amazing in its own right. Coagulation for Neutral Assault and Multi-flag, Waterworks for Multi-Bomb and Flag Wars, Headlong for 1-bomb, Containment for Multi-Bomb, Terminal for 1-bomb, Relic for 1-flag... nothing since has been as seemingly rewarding when you won.

Devolution said:
Think of it more as a great look into what to expect from 343.
Well, we've had maps that had an over-abundance of power weapons, so... you have your great expectations, then you have that.

Striker said:
One of the great BTB maps, and asymmetric to boot. Something Halo 3 and Reach both lack.

Every BTB map from that game was amazing in its own right. Coagulation for Neutral Assault and Multi-flag, Waterworks for Multi-Bomb and Flag Wars, Headlong for 1-bomb, Containment for Multi-Bomb, Terminal for 1-bomb, Relic for 1-flag... nothing since has been as seemingly rewarding when you won.

Agreed 100 percent, on the opposite side of the spectrum though, you felt horrible when you lost, partly because the asymmetrical maps were very easy to defend, especially relic and terminal.

Also who else camped here in flag games?
a4604g.jpg

Can't wait to do it again!

Jesus 7am breakfast is early. Really should have had it at 8 or 9.
I am exhausted and running on fumes but i will be there for 7. I understand if some of you guys are to tired to make it.

Details with the address are on ducans site. I think if you google gaf pre pax breakfast Devin Olsen. You will get it.

See you all today

Tawpgun

I hope the gametypes and hopper get released VERY soon after the TU... I need me some classic customs.

Also, I believe I heard somewhere that some time after Anni launches the maps will become available as standalone DLC? Is this true? I'm buying Anni regardless but I have a friend who wants the classic maps but has no interest in the campaign.

Arnie

Can't wait to play proper Halo again, impressions of the new DMR sound great. And with all these new maps it'll feel completely fresh.

Two things I'm really miffed they haven' seemed to change though, and this may sound petty to some but I really hoped these would be included as, in my opinion, they are vital:

Changes to grenade physics and detonation times

Re-introduction of a numbered leveling system to encourage competitive team play once again.

Kuroyume said:
Is the pistol still in the loadouts or do I have to scavange for it now?
They buffed it and then they took it out of each map. It's just for show and tell ;) I have no idea. I imagine it is still in the loadouts. What else would go in its place? AR/Needler?

Deputy Moonman said:
They buffed it and then they took it out of each map. It's just for show and tell ;) I have no idea. I imagine it is still in the loadouts. What else would go in its place? AR/Needler?
Dax slayer confirmed?

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
I just explained donging to my girlfriend for a good hour showing stats and games.

I don't think she was as into it as I was.

Making her watch MlG Raleigh.

Must make it a little easier to explain the 2'x3' framed portrait of Walshy hanging over your bed.

Bn3gHl.jpg

they threw a party and no one showed up :(

Just five of us right now (two groups) where is everyone?

Also the duke controller is the one ben heck made.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
I just explained donging to my girlfriend for a good hour showing stats and games.

Future breakup story.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Jesus 7am breakfast is early. Really should have had it at 8 or 9.
I am exhausted and running on fumes but i will be there for 7. I understand if some of you guys are to tired to make it.

Details with the address are on ducans site. I think if you google gaf pre pax breakfast Devin Olsen. You will get it.

See you all today
All four of us thought it was at 8:00; we're still getting ready. We were up until 12:30 and an 8:00 breakfast was pushing it as it was. Not sure what we'll do now.

Well we haven't ordered yet. We can wait

Edit apparently you guys won't be here for 8:00 even. Should we wait?

Where are you fine folks

Sean P
Hypertrooper
Hitmonchan107
GhaleonEB
Captain Blood
Eazy B
Ramirez
Domino Theory

NOKYARD

xxjuicesxx said:

Showed this post to my GF. Her response, "Maybe, if he's lucky she'll show him her version of "donging". But, he shouldn't get his hopes up after doing that".

Striker

Kuroyume said:
Is the pistol still in the loadouts or do I have to scavange for it now?
Hope so. Not trying to get into the fanatics, but the DMR/AR bullshit is old and tiresome. That said, I prefer not to have DMR start spawns in every single damn playlist. That's one of the biggest annoyances I have in current TO. Per map based, fine, but not universal.

Oh, also, it would be wonderful if we got a Classic playlist that's 8v8.

Add Hemorrhage, Highlands, Headlong, and Timberland. K, thanks.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
Well we haven't ordered yet. We can wait

Edit apparently you guys won't be here for 8:00 even. Should we wait?

Where are you fine folks

Sean P
Hypertrooper
Hitmonchan107
GhaleonEB
Captain Blood
Eazy B
Ramirez
Domino Theory
Getting four people ready when there's one bathroom took a bit longer than planned, alas. It would take 30 minutes to get there, so we're just going to grab breakfast here and head to the conference center after. We'll catch up with you guys later at the show.

Top Bottom