• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Dani said:
Thanks man.

"Reach Custom Challenges
Thanks to the new stats pipeline, you’ll be able to soon create custom challenges similar to the current daily and weekly challenges. With an online editor, you’ll be able to craft, challenge your friends, track and exchange them among your fellow battle bros. and enjoy challenges like never before."

Begs the question- Will there be a payoff?
I'd like to score credits for these self made challenges.

The rate of fire change is great news.

i don't think we've seen everything the TU has to offer either. Wasn't no fall damage confirmed months ago? And yet it's not included in the list posted on Waypoint. More to come hopefully

Ken

dmg04 said:

If there was I'd imagine that the credit payout is determined by the custom challenge maker and not player-assigned, and that how many custom challenges you can create and take on per day is limited.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
dmg04 said:
Thanks man.

"Reach Custom Challenges
Thanks to the new stats pipeline, you’ll be able to soon create custom challenges similar to the current daily and weekly challenges. With an online editor, you’ll be able to craft, challenge your friends, track and exchange them among your fellow battle bros. and enjoy challenges like never before."

They said they are looking into it but won't confirm anything so it's to be determined.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
Lets play some Halo everyone!
I'll play Halo again when the TU hits. Tonight is Deus Ex.

dmg04 said:
Off topic; You have this for xbox or ps3? my buds ps3 copy keeps freezing. pretty awesome
PC.

Their were some crates scattered about in the updated version and I'm sure there will be some pathways to change up the routing.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
MrBig said:
I'll play Halo again when the TU hits. Tonight is Deus Ex.
Off topic; You have this for xbox or ps3? my buds ps3 copy keeps freezing. pretty awesome

on topic; it's KILLING me that i'm not at PAX this year. A few of my buds have the pins i made last year at least.

Prisoner looks amazing. I wonder what forge pieces will be on that map, aside from bridges.

Perhaps with the TU hitting mid-late September but the hoppers coming early October, we will get a few custom gametypes off of the waypoint fileshare to play about with in the interim? Seems a little weird that they'd release the update but not have it playable immediately, though i'm aware other games do this.

Striker

Havok said:
I'm really curious if any of the objective ruleset is going to be touched by the TU. Stuff like fixing sudden death, flag proximity contesting, all that should either go back to its best incarnation or be made configurable.
They definitely need to be adjusted, otherwise it'll still have the gaffes we see daily in BTB and Objective. Boggles my mind how Bungie messed up these things in Halo 3 and Reach. Then again they also screwed up Assault's arming and CTF flag timers, so...

They were in perfect condition in Halo 2.

Letters said:
Gauss-hog, armor abilities... all these maps should be having the glorious reveals they deserve :(
Gauss Hog was in default Halo 2 Headlong, bro.

But in Halo 2 we had no silly armor abilities/equipment, weren't slow like a turtle, and had a Halo 2 BR. I'm curious and skeptical how it'll all play out. DMR's range might hurt it, and we still, like noted above in my quote, aren't confirmed anything on flag contesting, have a true Sudden Death like Halo 2, etc.

cory021

Neo Member
Dani said:
They said they are looking into it but won't confirm anything so it's to be determined.
I missed the panel where they announced this. So can you browse custom challenges on Reach itself, or will you have to go to Halo Waypoint to look at the challenges?

Either way, it'll be an awesome feature. Maybe you could tie custom firefight gametypes to challenges and then have your friends to try and beat your challenge. Sounds interesting.

feel

Striker said:
Gauss Hog was in default Halo 2 Headlong, bro.
Yeah, I know, I still hate the vehicle.

I feel disappointed after this first day, there was so much great stuff being shown, but I feel like I personally have nothing truly special to take away from it, other than the CEA campaign (and the Chief) looking lovely. I find it hard to get too excited about the amazing choices of maps being remade and the TU when all I see is "improved" Reach being shoved down my throat and apparently being the main type of gameplay in the Anniversary multiplayer, with Classic seeming like an extraneous playlist that will have to work hard to break 1000 concurrent players. I wish I could be ok with crap like jetpack and sprint like the rest of you are.

edit-
I find it very frustrating that 343i and all the media are referring to improved Reach as "Halo Anniversary Multiplayer", it just doesn't make any sense, it should be simply treated as post-update Halo Reach, being played on DLC maps that will be available in both the CEA disc and xbl.

Striker

So no changes for any vehicles? Banshee bomb? Banshee maneuverability nerf?

And the Gauss in Halo 2 worked because it wasn't overly powerful unless it's an open ranged map and the other team was poor. Balanced teams usually got neck and neck into each other and it became a slugfest. It fit nicely in Halo 2. Other Halo games? No so because Bungie has changed the system so much.

ElRenoRaven

Striker said:
So no changes for any vehicles? Banshee bomb? Banshee maneuverability nerf?

And the Gauss in Halo 2 worked because it wasn't overly powerful unless it's an open ranged map and the other team was poor. Balanced teams usually got neck and neck into each other and it became a slugfest. It fit nicely in Halo 2. Other Halo games? No so because Bungie has changed the system so much.

No vehicle changes have been mentioned so right now we're working under the assumption that they didn't touch vehicles in this update as things stand now.

It's late and I may be getting emotional here but after seeing the no bloom videos and imagining how that'll play out with good players with decent strafes (inb4 no inertia), 3 and 4 shot kills etc this could potentially be the greatest Halo multiplayer to date, online at least. I simply cannot wait for this title update.

Urk's thumb.
My nipple.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have contact.

On a related note, Crimson: Steam Pirates is pretty fun.

Oh yeah, the skybox for Prisoner/Solitary is amazing.

Undecided on the Halo 4 Warthog, although the Kinect mode in Forza was neat.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
Urk's thumb.
My nipple.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have contact.

60wLP.jpg

FyreWulff

So, just got internet access.

I ran really late due to having to wait for the person that bought all of our passes to get to will call. Missed out on picking up my HBO shirt (damnit), got to the Community panel just before it started (missed out on knowing there was an apparent HBO section), played a game on Prisoner and had fun, but the DMR still had bloom so I wasn't really able to tell if I was playing the TU or not because all the other weapons on the map (Needler, shotty) didn't seem changed.

There's a bit of frame lag on the top of Prisoner at this point but I imagine that will be worked on for launch.

I just missed out on getting a Halo bag (seems like I was just about late to everything) and got overwhelmed at bit at the friggin huge new exhibit hall, but I plan on hitting it early tommorow and pacing myself and doing everything.

Also Forge tournament.

Also, Wu was taller than I thought he was. I didn't get a chance to actually talk to him because I got called away :(

The hog was smaller than I thought it was.

I'll be wearing my Halofest nametag around again tommorow. I plan on playing on Timberlands and the Firefight stuff for tommorow.

The stations with all the previously released Halo games was a neat idea.

I think I saw Duncan, met up with Metroidvania, good times.

I just explained donging to my girlfriend for a good hour showing stats and games.

I don't think she was as into it as I was.

Making her watch MlG Raleigh.

Booshka

xxjuicesxx said:
I just explained donging to my girlfriend for a good hour showing stats and games.

I don't think she was as into it as I was.

Making her watch MlG Raleigh.
It's nice to see a lot of the Pro's pacing because they know it works on LAN, too bad connection totally ruins Bloom online. That's what the TU is for though.

Booshka said:
It's nice to see a lot of the Pro's pacing because they know it works on LAN, too bad connection totally ruins Bloom online. That's what the TU is for though.

They should watch my stream more often. I'd teach em how to control bloom perfectly. 5shots all day.

Pretty soon they'll be fragging like a pro.

Willeth

So what's the deal with the Halo Fest party? Do I need a ticket or can someone put me on a list, or can I just roll straight in with my Halo community veteran badge?

Looking at that Prisoner (Solitary) flythrough, I'm actually really glad they decided to give you another way of getting to Sniper. However, I still really enjoy the risk vs. reward aspect of just having a ladder.

MrBig said:
It and Waterworks are the BTB headliners of the franchise.

My personal favs will always be Coagulation (I thought the minor changes were spectacular) and Sidewinder. Too bad they'll never get proper remakes. :(

Having said that, I am still so glad Headlong is getting a faithful remake. So many good memories.

Booshka said:
Ladder animations are too hard, so that's why we get Lifts everywhere.

Well yeah, of course. Lifts or Ladders, it would still be a risk vs. reward type of deal to get to the Sniper. I wasn't talking about the animations.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This is going to be hard for me to say without sounding negative to a degree, I'm not trying to be cynical but it's just, I don't feel hyped about what I'm seeing. What's being shown is essentially just old maps and these old maps are being put on a game which doesn't have many maps and doesn't run half as well as it should, considering how it looks.

You could say the TU will make everything better, but isn't the TU just striving to give me old content? Or if you want to get technical, a mix of old and new, or if you want to go "deeper", more customizable options.

Why should I be hyped for what I already had when it's being given to me on a game that has given me sour experiences? I'd be a lot happier with some of these great classics being on Halo 4.

Just a thought, obviously I'm still looking forward to the TU and the new maps look great.

Booshka

-Yeti said:
Looking at that Prisoner (Solitary) flythrough, I'm actually really glad they decided to give you another way of getting to Sniper. However, I still really enjoy the risk vs. reward aspect of just having a ladder.
Ladder animations are too hard, so that's why we get Lifts everywhere.

Kuroyume

Banned
They'll have to fix that instant arm bullshit otherwise the remake is a waste. Assault on that map was the best. I'd say it's equal with Waterworks assault.

Havok

Kuroyume said:
They'll have to fix that instant arm bullshit otherwise the remake is a waste. Assault on that map was the best. I'd say it's equal with Waterworks assault.
It's a three second arm in Big Team now. I still think it's a little short, but it's much better than the instant arm was. That made it completely unplayable.

Plywood said:
This is going to be hard for me to say without sounding negative to a degree, I'm not trying to be cynical but it's just, I don't feel hyped about what I'm seeing. What's being shown is essentially just old maps and these old maps are being put on a game which doesn't have many maps and doesn't run half as well as it should, considering how it looks.

You could say the TU will make everything better, but isn't the TU just striving to give me old content? Or if you want to get technical, a mix of old and new, or if you want to go "deeper", more customizable options.

Why should I be hyped for what I already had when it's being given to me on a game that has given me sour experiences? I'd be a lot happier with some of these great classics being on Halo 4.

Just a thought, obviously I'm still looking forward to the TU and the new maps look great.

Think of it more as a great look into what to expect from 343.

Yea I'd love to see Flag Wars on Waterworks. Even Containment too!

That new FF map has that part that looks similar to Relic, they should have just gone full-on and remade Relic.

Top Bottom