• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

The best cadence is not 4 shots quickly then a headshot with the DMR.

The best cadence is 3 body shots quickly followed by a pause and then 2 quick headshots.

Go test it yourself.

Reason: The way bloom is by the 4th shot it gets pretty gnarly and upredictable and the wait to get the bloom down is a bit too long and freaks a lot of people out that they might "lose the battle". A 3 shot then a pause allows bloom to never get out of control as bad.

OMG to get Grounded Commendation just to Gold you have to kill 2500 vehicles?! WTF.

senador

Banned
Sweet, thanks Juices. You get your controller fixed?

So I'm going to focus on moving my right stick more finely, being with teammates and watching map movement, and also 3-pause-2 shotting.

Thanks for the advice dudes.

cory021

Neo Member
xxjuicesxx said:
The best cadence is not 4 shots quickly then a headshot with the DMR.

The best cadence is 3 body shots quickly followed by a pause and then 2 quick headshots.

Go test it yourself.

Reason: The way bloom is by the 4th shot it gets pretty gnarly and upredictable and the wait to get the bloom down is a bit too long and freaks a lot of people out that they might "lose the battle". A 3 shot then a pause allows bloom to never get out of control as bad.
That makes sense. I usually use a very small pause after each shot, but this looks more efficient.

Random question: I know the AR is a disliked weapon in multiplayer by a portion of the community. I'm assuming the reason is because being killed by an automatic weapon isn't fun while you're using a precision weapon. My question is if you're killed by someone who pulses the AR like a Battle Rifle, would you still feel the same way about that player/weapon?

EDIT: Another request. Can someone link me to the playlist page on Bungie.net? I can't seem to find it at all :/

Blinding

Got a picture from one of my friends who's at PAX.

2d7wivc.jpg

Wu, your beard reminds me of Santa Clause, which I find pretty fucking awesome.

senador

Banned
cory021 said:
That makes sense. I usually use a very small pause after each shot, but this looks more efficient.

Random question: I know the AR is a disliked weapon in multiplayer by a portion of the community. I'm assuming the reason is because being killed by an automatic weapon isn't fun while you're using a precision weapon. My question is if you're killed by someone who pulses the AR like a Battle Rifle, would you still feel the same way about that player/weapon?

EDIT: Another request. Can someone link me to the playlist page on Bungie.net? I can't seem to find it at all :/

That page no longer exists. 343 will have one up at some point, but its not know when.

I hate dying to AR for the reason you said; I am aiming and timing shots but the AR guy just holds trigger and points my general direction. If someone actually burst fires I feel less angry, but I'd prefer the game be changed to reinforce the burst firing. As it is now the AR magnetism and range is just too high and its bloom doesn't seem to effect it much. I get killed from insane ranges with the AR and that just doesn't seem right. We've seen burst firing helps quite a lot though as is.

So, I think the AR should be powerful up close and its range should quickly die off unless burst firing. Bloom should effect the AR more so as well.

Booshka

cory021 said:

I wish the bloom on the AR was more severe to promote bursting it, you can legitimately out shoot other AR users with a good mix of bursting then spray as you move in closer, but that dynamic is less effective against DMR's at medium range. So, if you could be more successful bursting, and punished more for spraying, it would be a slightly more skill based weapon. The SMG in Shadowrun is a pretty nooby weapon for that game, but it has a good burst fire mechanic, and the gun has surprisingly good range with burst fire. I have been able to hit people from a distance that you would never imagine hitting someone with an AR in Halo.

I am not really sure about it because Bungie kind of went halfway with the bloom, so I am not sure if it would be better to go further with more bloom, or taper it off like the TU is doing. For Halo it is probably better to not have bloom, but I do think the AR could be a skill based weapon if the bloom was more severe while spraying, and it had more range with bursting.

Edit: beaten

cory021

Neo Member
That's what I was thinking about the AR; there should be a larger penalty for spamming the AR. Not a penalty that is too largely detrimental, but a penalty that encourages the player to realize "Hey, if I burst fire this, it will be more powerful."

A slightly larger maximum bloom but a decreased bloom acceleration would be adequate. Finally, make the reticule reset almost immediately when the trigger is released. It shouldn't take long for the player to realize the AR is stronger when burst fired, and then the spray and pray mechanic would be viable only in very close encounters.

Also, if the playlist page is taken down, is there a list of all the forge maps?

kylej

Banned
Love how intense Instinct is. When I make my first million I'm renting out a house for all my Halo bros so we can scream at the top of our lungs all day without bothering people.

Kuroyume

Banned
The AR has plenty of problems and people just laying on the trigger is just the tip of the iceberg. I feel it deals way too much damage for a weapon that doesn't require much thought when using it. With the pre-TU pistol I have to take into account bloom/having to pace my shots, keeping the reticule over an enemy, and dealing with a pathetic clip size. AR users don't have to deal with any of that. It's just a bullet hose with too much damage, range, and ammo. So many times I've had to dance around trying to buy myself some time if I missed a shot just so the god damn reload animation could finish. Meanwhile, the AR user can just sit there hosing me with bullets nonstop. It's not fair at all. It has bloom and yet I'm not sure why because with that weapon it doesn't matter. It shouldn't be a mid range weapon if it deals that kind of damage easily or at the very least give it a lot of recoil. It's just way too easy to handle.

NOKYARD

Gabotron ES said:
Griffball (4vs4):[/b] Get the disease!
Grifball (4vs4): Catch the disease!

thee henery said:
Somebody look at the fucking stats of guests and chuck them like lepers in their own leper playlist like they deserve.
I'm doing the best i can. 3 & 4 player split-screen Grifball is actually pretty fun because you can keep an eye on the entire court, and fewer connection issues make for a cleaner game.

Tashi0106 said:
I need 1,000 followers on my channel already!!
+ 1 follower. Did it help?

kylej

Banned
"Word bond, Flamesword is lookin Volcano Hands Deini right now son. Slingin fire left & right, Infamous just couldn't handle it."

Oh lord the MLG Twitter made a Big Ghost Chronicles reference. Much love.

Kuroyume said:
The AR has plenty of problems and people just laying on the trigger is just the tip of the iceberg. I feel it deals way too much damage for a weapon that doesn't require much thought when using it. With the pre-TU pistol I have to take into account bloom/having to pace my shots, keeping the reticule over an enemy, and dealing with a pathetic clip size. AR users don't have to deal with any of that. It's just a bullet hose with too much damage, range, and ammo. So many times I've had to dance around trying to buy myself some time if I missed a shot just so the god damn reload animation could finish. Meanwhile, the AR user can just sit there hosing me with bullets nonstop. It's not fair at all. It has bloom and yet I'm not sure why because with that weapon it doesn't matter. It shouldn't be a mid range weapon if it deals that kind of damage easily or at the very least give it a lot of recoil. It's just way too easy to handle.
QFT - For what is supposed to be a mid-range weapon, the pistol is pretty bad. I don't even know if you can really call it a mid-range weapon. From anywhere beyond melee range, you have to do some massive pacing of shots. And even then, sometimes shots just don't register. But by that point you're already having to reload. The only reliable thing I've found the pistol useful for is taking out a charging sword. Otherwise, it's a toss of the dice on whether any of the pistol's shots are going to hit. It needs at least one of these three things: an increase in power; an increase in clip size; or a big reduction of bloom. Otherwise people really are better off using the assault rifle at close range to mid range.

I still use it because I can't stand using automatic weapons in a precision centered game. But right now the pistol really is the I-have-no-purpose weapon. The needler is more reliable and quicker kill than the pistol. And I use the pistol a lot more than most. I have taken two significant breaks (3-5 month intervals) during Reach's lifespan, so that really hurt my numbers. But below are my team slayer stats:
pistol_stats.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
Sorry if I sounded jerkish. My last week of "free" employment will begin tomorrow so I've been pissy.

Nah. Like I said in that thread. I think it was more a case of everyone misunderstanding each other. So it's all good. I just wanted to make sure you knew it was.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone on here play objectives a lot ? I'd really like to get into a group to play objective / invasion and who take it seriously I usually play with some buds but they can't always hop on, I'm up for firefight too.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Would be cool if we got to also see the space elevator crash just like it did in ODST.
It would be cool if that happened only once every 100 matches or something. Everyone would stop fighting and look out to the skybox because it would be so rare. Seeing that in a campaign is awesome, but seeing it once every multiplayer match would get old.

senador said:
Sweet! I am going to order some. Did the convex shape of the Legendary ones make things weird for you? I am probably over thinking it and should just order some.
It took a bit to get used to them, for sure. You crank them to extremes too much when you no longer need to. I started by playing lots of campaign and firefight to get used to the nuance of the longer sticks. It wasn't the shape so much as the length of them that was the tricky part to get used to (insert dick joke here).

Tunavi said:
Same bridge in the background of headlong?
Nice catch.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first MLG game I've ever watched live. Pretty intense. I don't really get the MLG culture, but it's still awesome to watch.

Instinct needs to take it bottom mid more on Element. They get 3-4 down and a nice setup but wait to long to see where the other teams spawning, if you go bottom mid the ramp and nade launcher setup is some good wallage where you can choose what side to run it on.

Infamous was doing that well. Its such a fast run too straight through mid up the basejump.

Ha holy shit now a best of 11. This is crazy.

omg.kittens said:
This is the first MLG game I've ever watched live. Pretty intense. I don't really get the MLG culture, but it's still awesome to watch.

What don't you get about MLG culture?

People make a game to have fun. The best players start to play it competitively. Happens with everything in life.

Tunavi said:
06m5I.png

611px-Ohes_noes.jpg

Same bridge in the background of headlong?

That would be awesome. Im still surprised that they didn't show headlong at the panel. I guess IGN really jumped the gun when they posted those clips. I feel bad for 343 since however they had planned to reveal the last 2 maps is out the window.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I missed all the panels today -- have they officially shown Hang'em High yet? And people seem to be speculating about a new Forge world? Why?

feel

xxjuicesxx said:

People make a game to have fun. The best players start to play it competitively. Happens with everything in life.
If he's like me, he probably meant the part where grown men become little girls when confronted with teens with bieber cuts who are very good at videogames.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Demoncarnotaur said:
That would be awesome. Im still surprised that they didn't show headlong at the panel. I guess IGN really jumped the gun when they posted those clips. I feel bad for 343 since however they had planned to reveal the last 2 maps is out the window.
I don't! Leaks are delicious.

Ken

My friend and I got matched up against Pistola twice in Halo 3 Doubles before he went onto MLG streams and such.

We lost.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Karl2177 said:
OMG THAT FLAG GRAB. Infamous is really impressing me.
That was reDONK. So impressive. Had me cheering, haha.

xxjuicesxx said:

I dunno, despite playing Halo for nearly 10 years, I've barely payed attention to MLG. I've always loved winning, and taken it fairly serious, but MLG takes it REAL seriously. I've always hated sports, and so the sports-like feel of MLG has always been a turn off. But I'm starting to be able to look past it, appreciate the game/gameplay, and get into it.

Ken said:
You mean the competitive nature of sports specifically?
Naw, I love competitive play. It's more the male-dominant, jockish, macho culture. I've never been into that, and it's almost totally pervasive in sports culture. It's not so bad in MLG. Plus I actually like watching people play Halo, as opposed to people playing sports.

Ken

omg.kittens said:
I've always hated sports, and so the sports-like feel of MLG has always been a turn off. But I'm starting to be able to look past it, appreciate the game/gameplay, and get into it.

Devolution said:
If he's like me, he likes being semi-competitive but practicing all of the time like a sport is just not something I'm into when it comes to a video game.

I see.

Ken said:

If he's like me, he likes being semi-competitive but practicing all of the time like a sport is just not something I'm into when it comes to a video game.

Top Bottom