• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Otherwise I saw a lot of the awesome 343i Guilty Spark hoodies. I'm so envious at every 343i employee. So envious.

I missed a lot of opportunities to talk with you guys. I was so nervous and shy that I avoided subconsciously every talk. =[

Recarpo

BlueScrote said:
What controller config does everybody use?

I've been using the default layout at sensitivity 6, but I'm thinking of switching to bumper jumper.

4 sensitivity bumper jumper. That's what I've been on since halo 3 launched and it's never failed me. Also, inverted 4life.

Tunavi

Banned
Where is all the off-screen shaky cam gameplay footage? Seriously, its my favorite part about gaming conventions. I'm finding no videos on youtube.

I've been out enjoying the sun all day, so I'm just now getting caught up on the changes the Reach TU is bringing

So the removal of bloom is optional, but everything else is across the board in this TU? Is that right? Still not sure how Reach is going to work without bloom, so it would be good to keep it in there for some playlists as a fall-back.

Also, did they give any details about what we can expect as far as playlists or match types in existing playlists using no-bloom?

Pistol is being upgraded? Cool. Power, range, reload, ammo cap? Details pwease.

Trasher

Domino Theory said:
Default sensitivity 3. I was bumper jumping for a while, but decided it just wouldn't fit with default Reach.

Oh and while playing at Halo Fest and changing the controller settings prior to playing, I'd notice a few times where people would have it set on inverted. That's the same time a bunch of us found out Ram plays on inverted.

S
M
H
I thought Ram always made fun of me for playing with inverted...wtf.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
Did you talk to someone about Classic gametypes and Anniversary disc playlists? We on gaf are leaving Halofest with way more questions than we had entering. So disappointing how they pimped Halofest for so long as the moment where we would get all kinds of answers regarding the future of Reach and Anniversary multiplayer down to detail, and all we got was the reveal of maps and some of the new tools for the playlist managers.

Not so sure about playlists, but from my game time and talks with 343i folks

Anniversary Team Slayer:

• Limited bloom on 3 shot pistol. Pistol is automatic, slow rate of fire
  • Damage bleed through

Zero Bloom Slayer:

• No bloom whatsoever
  • 3 melees to kill (not on bsangel's TU list but was clearly noticed by everyone playing)
  • Armor Lock nerfed
  • Camo nerfed
  • Damage bleed through

Letters said:
Where are the pictures?? For all we know only Devin and Sean P went, and the rest of you are lying.
Did anyone tell you that the voice of Guilty Spark likes your HaloGAF shirt. Okay he likes my and Louis Wu's shirt a bit lesser than the t-shirts with the BELI343 text. ;) Just sayin'.

Farooq

Banned
Domino Theory said:

Anniversary Team Slayer:

• Damage bleed through

Zero Bloom Slayer:

• No bloom whatsoever
  • 3 melees to kill (not on bsangel's TU list but was clearly noticed by everyone playing)
  • Armor Lock nerfed
  • Camo nerfed
  • Damage bleed through

How did both gametypes play? And any additional thoughts/concerns?

Ramirez

Well, PAX is over, glad in a way, lol. Being sick since Friday night put quite a damper on my enjoyment of everything. :(

IMO, both the 3SK and bloomless game types are all I wanted out of a TU. So nice to be able to kill without guessing...

I have a hilarious pic of easy and blood playing star wars kinect I'll post when I get home. I also bought an extra grunt plushy to give away, not figured out how to do it yet though.

wwm0nkey

Any of you guys that went to PAX get a CS:GO beta key ;D

good to hear you all had a good time at HaloFest, hopefully there is an event like it next year so I can go :)

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Well, PAX is over, glad in a way, lol. Being sick since Friday night put quite a damper on my enjoyment of everything. :(

IMO, both the 3SK and bloomless game types are all I wanted out of a TU. So nice to be able to kill without guessing...

I have a hilarious pic of easy and blood playing star wars kinect I'll post when I get home. I also bought an extra grunt plushy to give away, not figured out how to do it yet though.
This sounds glorious.

Kuroyume

Banned
The upcoming update at Waypoint should really clear some of the stuff up. Player speed... Nade nerf... Stuff like that. Weapon adjustments is a great thing and a step in the right direction but I don't see how they can have a good representation of classic gameplay with people moving so slowly and not being able to dodge those nades. I also want to see flag juggling back in the classic playlist. That's classic Halo every bit as much as the other stuff.

Ramirez said:

Did we meet? Sorry I met too many person this weekend. And I haven't hung out with the TJ clan.

Man am I exhausted, tomorrow is going to be a really long day of flying and layovers. I had a total blast this weekend with everything going on. I will say that zero bloom DMR is far and away better than the 3shot pistol. Zero bloom felt like the Halo I have been desperately missing and I can't wait for 343 to roll zero bloom out. I think I got to say hi and shake hands with everyone on HaloGAF and 343 with the exception of Frankie. The dude was never not running around looking crazy busy.

feel

^ Amazing tactic to reduce the number of meet and greets with random nerds: pretend you're mad busy, all the time

Domino Theory said:

Anniversary Team Slayer:

• Damage bleed through

Zero Bloom Slayer:

• No bloom whatsoever
  • Armor Lock nerfed
  • Camo nerfed
  • Damage bleed through
Thank you, learned more from you regarding CEA mp than from 343i this weekend. Not kidding.

Bregmann Roche said:
If they go see Straw Dogs in theaters we know they were actually there and not watching the stream.
bahahahaha :lol :lol

Hypertrooper said:
Did anyone tell you that the voice of Guilty Spark likes your HaloGAF shirt. Okay he likes my and Louis Wu's shirt a bit lesser than the t-shirts with the BELI343 text. ;) Just sayin'.
No, noone told me. We've heard almost nothing from you guys the last 3 days!! Plus noone screamed or mentioned HaloGAF in any panel! It's like you guys weren't even there. You guys better tell us all about your halofest adventures the next few days.

wait

WAIT

The voice of guilty spark said he liked my shirt?? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? :-O

2zgtg8y.jpg

23thzlf.jpg

33nc4zs.jpg

Domino Theory said:

Anniversary Team Slayer:

• Damage bleed through

Zero Bloom Slayer:

• No bloom whatsoever
  • Armor Lock nerfed
  • Camo nerfed
  • Damage bleed through

Anniversary Team Slayer:

Will new weapons that weren't in the original Halo be there? Or are the DMR, NR, and all the other weapons introduced since Reach gone to make for a more 'classic' experience?

Zero Bloom Slayer:

Are there even automatic weapons in this game-type? Or is it just precision weapons and power weapons?

Watching the panel now, and I like what they said about the bloom configuration being like a slider. Makes me think a) they are going to try and keep bloom in the game to some degree for the sake of balance and b) they can really fine tune this sucker to make all the weapons play nice together.

Can't wait!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Waypoint will be able to list out some fairly plain and detailed information now that the Halo Fest shenanigans are over. I know you guys are impatient for facts, but honestly a conference was never going to be the best place to reveal dry, long, tedious information. That's a document, not a panel. Besides, this way we were able to reveal the shock news that Halo MP will support Xbox Live.

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
Waypoint will be able to list out some fairly plain and detailed information now that the Halo Fest shenanigans are over. I know you guys are impatient for facts, but honestly a conference was never going to be the best place to reveal dry, long, tedious information. That's a document, not a panel. Besides, this way we were able to reveal the shock news that Halo MP will support Xbox Live.
You are going to remember that one for a long time huh? lol

Also cool tell us when that list goes live.

EDIT: Do you think there will be another Halo event like this next year at all? A yearly Halo Event would be awesome to look forward too. Bungie had July 7th, you guys should do Halo Fest.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
yay!! Thank you, at least that's something!

orznge

Banned
Kuroyume said:
The upcoming update at Waypoint should really clear some of the stuff up. Player speed... Nade nerf... Stuff like that. Weapon adjustments is a great thing and a step in the right direction but I don't see how they can have a good representation of classic gameplay with people moving so slowly and not being able to dodge those nades. I also want to see flag juggling back in the classic playlist. That's classic Halo every bit as much as the other stuff.

Doing anything at all with weapon balance or function is a huge thing and I am glad for that but unfortunately I think those of us who realize the issues with player physics and the depth that freedom of movement allows are an even smaller minority than those who "get" the weapon issues.

BlueScrote said:
What controller config does everybody use?

I've been using the default layout at sensitivity 6, but I'm thinking of switching to bumper jumper.
I use Bumper Jumper with 3 sensitivity. I guess I should also point out that I have the Razer Onza Tournament Edition with the X button mapped to the top left bumper for easy equipment usage. :)

Tunavi said:
It would be cool if that happened only once every 100 matches or something. Everyone would stop fighting and look out to the skybox because it would be so rare. Seeing that in a campaign is awesome, but seeing it once every multiplayer match would get old.

I'm really really happy that they are including a map with ODST references.

This game needs a sequel.

Glasslands: The game.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!

Did I just read that post right? You have confirmed that Halo MP will support Xbox Live? OMG!!!! That's like so cutting edge. And you say it will be playble on Xbox live the day it comes out? Live will be out by then right?

I have an old crappy white 360 controller with the shitty d-pad and the left stick is starting to get slow turn =/.

I use recon, forgot my sensitivity, it's probably like 5 or higher.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!!!

Did I just read that post right? You have confirmed that Halo MP will support Xbox Live? OMG!!!! That's like so cutting edge. And you say it will be playble on Xbox live the day it comes out? Live will be out by then right?
Not day one, no. We may need to do an update.

ElRenoRaven

Ah. That is better. All the talk lately of ODST etc had me itching to play it and I did from start to finish tonight. That game really really is underrated by many people.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Oh really?

OuterWorldVoice said:

Halo over Xbox Live? Sounds impossible!

To GAF: Gameplay vids floating out there from today? The TU and the maps look amazing (never thought we'd get 3SK, Prisoner, and Headlong), but I guess I just assumed we'd get some more gameplay vids from this weekend.
I'm not complaining...mostly

Also, the Halo 4 concept art looked fantastic. Those environments look nothing short of jaw-dropping.

feel

How fucked up would it be if the zerobloom/bleedthrough gametypes with 5shot dmr ended up being amazing and the best gun/melee/grenade gameplay Reach has to offer, but there was no way to experience it in matchmaking without the default slow movement and armor abilities...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
The Antitype said:
Anniversary Team Slayer:

Will new weapons that weren't in the original Halo be there? Or are the DMR, NR, and all the other weapons introduced since Reach gone to make for a more 'classic' experience?

Zero Bloom Slayer:

Are there even automatic weapons in this game-type? Or is it just precision weapons and power weapons?

Watching the panel now, and I like what they said about the bloom configuration being like a slider. Makes me think a) they are going to try and keep bloom in the game to some degree for the sake of balance and b) they can really fine tune this sucker to make all the weapons play nice together.

Can't wait!

No new weapons from what I saw in Anniversary Slayer. No Armor Abilities, either.

The AR, Needler, Plasma Rifle and Plasma Repeater were available in Zero Bloom, but they're the ones that kept bloom (makes sense).

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Frankie, please convince Halo 4 art department (and whomever else you need to) to release a concept art book. Thanks.
This.

Oh also just got a copy of Cryptum, will start reading tomorrow.

Sean P.

No voting in Halo 2 worked because every map sans Gemini and Backwash were fantastic.

My Buddies and I were just talking about this last night in the car ride home while going through the maps on my phone and its SO true. I don't mind Gemini (backwash can burn in hell) but they were SO good.

Hypertrooper said:
HaloFest is over. Sad times are beginning now. I nearly cried on the Light Rail train when I headed to the Airport. (Still 2 days in Seattle) The Halo community I met at HaloFest is sooooooo awesome and then I realized that I won't meet them for the next years made me sad.

I played on every Map that was playable at HaloFest. I can't really post a text to each map. So I'm posting my top 4:
Timberland > Beaver Creek > Prisoner > Damnation.
And I really can't wait to see the map with epic background they mentioned in the MP panel. All the maps have already a epic background. So I'm asking what 343i definition of epic is.

No being sad man :p It was great to meet you and you got to come to the first EVER Halofest, that's pretty huge. I'm sure we will see you again sometime down the line.

Letters said:
Where are the pictures?? For all we know only Devin and Sean P went, and the rest of you are lying.

haha Gaf was pretty quiet this year, and it was kind of sad. I'm not a huge part of this community (I kind of disappeared for a year and just came back) but we seemed spread very thin throughout the event and never really joined up together, we kinda just tagged along with HBO.

Tunavi said:
Where is all the off-screen shaky cam gameplay footage? Seriously, its my favorite part about gaming conventions. I'm finding no videos on youtube.

I'm pretty sure I'll have it by tonight and uploaded onto youtube for your consumption tomorrow. Can't guarantee anything in terms of quality, but it will be there haha.

OuterWorldVoice said:
David should not have been so generous. That dude was question No. 4.

Definitely a highlight of my trip was witnessing the incredulous look on his face when you guys set him straight.

kylej

Banned
thezerofire said:
Dear Instinct,

What the hell happened?

Shots were off that series. Infamous kicked them out of their comfort zone and they couldn't rebound. Tough when you're cocky and feeling it and just mowing kids down and all of a sudden you hit a roadblock. Same shit happens to all of us, where you lose a game or just lose focus and you can't get back to where you were without taking a long break or night off. Blaze, who I considered one of the all time biggest Reach warriors was also straight dumping with the snipe. I'm not really feeling a repeat out of them though.

Good job dropping RyaNoob, T2. Must feel good to place 20th this event. Here's a pack of stride gum for your trouble.

I'm interested to know if their bloom configuration allows them to adjust the amount of bloom AND the timing, or just the amount.

The problem I have with bloom isn't just the amount, it's how its doled out. If the DMR bloom actually went much WIDER after each shot, but shrank back to normal much more quickly, they it would force players to time their shots and spammers would have no chance.

Simply shrinking the amount of bloom, but keeping the rate of shrink the same as it is won't help as much, because spammers have an even better chance of nailing you without aiming.

Domino Theory said:
No new weapons from what I saw in Anniversary Slayer. No Armor Abilities, either.

The AR, Needler, Plasma Rifle and Plasma Repeater were available in Zero Bloom, but they're the ones that kept bloom (makes sense).

It does make sense, I just question the intelligence of anybody that picks up an auto weapon in a mode that turns the head-shot capable weapons into laser-beams.

Sean P.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Totally irrelevant to what I'm quoting, but I was pretty bummed there were no design focused panels. It would have been so cool to have the actual artists there (I know they are probably busy) or even have them draw something on stage during the panel.

Is there any way we can fill out the survey online for you guys? I didn't get to during the show (and missed the CEA showing...)

Steelyuhas said:
Halo 4 concept art trailer screams Halo meets Metroid Prime meets Mass Effect, which is obviously incredible.

Definitely seems like a different direction (more fantasy/scifi), which in my opinion is a good thing, since it's a different studio and a different trilogy.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
Halo 4 concept art trailer screams Halo meets Metroid Prime meets Mass Effect, which is obviously incredible.
They do have a Metroid Prime person as part of the staff IIRC.

All in all, my body is ready.

Top Bottom