• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Tunavi

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
...Is anyone actually interested in this? It's cool I guess but uh its just a bunch of noise out in the woods.
Yes.

Oh so I tried the Juices theory, shoot 3 body shots, pause, 2 headshots. It works and I'll be doing it more often.

Striker

StalkerUKCG said:
Subsection of matchmaking for guest's.

Team Slayer
Team Objective
FFA
Infection
Griffball

Make it happen powers that be and all my stash of spice melange is yours.
For one you don't use duplicate playlists - it only causes for more, unnecessary playlists as we've seen throughout Halo 3 and Halo Reach. Make one ranked Slayer and one ranked Objective/Skirmish based, both 4v4, no guests of course, and one unranked Training which uses guests and uses a mix bag of slayer, flag, and assault.

FFA same deal. Make a ranked FFA, either six players or eight depending on how many maps utilize the number.

Infection and Grifball are tricky. Here are two that make me want a community based browser so none of these stuff are actual playlists.

Red_Man said:
Anyone on here play objectives a lot ? I'd really like to get into a group to play objective / invasion and who take it seriously I usually play with some buds but they can't always hop on, I'm up for firefight too.
Used to until they ruined it (assuming you are talking TO 4v4).

wwm0nkey

I kind of wonder if this would be a good work around for the lack of UI interface for making a gametype with the TU settings.

Make an app on the Halowaypoint site that lets you create a gametype with all the new hooks and then puts the gametype you made into your fileshare. I would say that would be a great work around.

Striker

Tunavi said:
With DMR starts?
That's one, not a fan of them being universal on every single map in the game. Plus Evade, getting rid of maps, adding fringe gametypes, removing gametypes like 2-bomb for no reason, etc.

All they had to do at one point when there was Hemorrhage, Drop Shields, et al. was to remove the DS Loadout, add a DMR start for Hemorrhage matches, and release it. There's no vehicle activity in the playlist, which makes me weep for all the maps we had in Halo 2 Team Skirmish for it.

I'm really hoping that we have not been given all of the details regarding the TU. We have heard nothing about grenades, which is particularly concerning - and then of course, banshee abuse.

Tunavi

Banned
Striker said:
That's one, not a fan of them being universal on every single map in the game. Plus Evade, getting rid of maps, adding fringe gametypes, removing gametypes like 2-bomb for no reason, etc.

All they had to do at one point when there was Hemorrhage, Drop Shields, et al. was to remove the DS Loadout, add a DMR start for Hemorrhage matches, and release it. There's no vehicle activity in the playlist, which makes me weep for all the maps we had in Halo 2 Team Skirmish for it.
You have some good points. I miss the vehicular play in Objective and they put in some really stupid gametypes.

Objective needs to stay DMR starts. Evade must go and the armor ability delay on respawn from MLG must be implemented as well.

When does 343 start updating the playlists? I'm getting bored
EVADE MUST GO AWAY

wwm0nkey

About my previous idea above, I do not know how much work would be required but would you guys like something like this but with all the new options and the ability to upload directly to your fileshare?

lolyn.png

Want to get all the nitty-gritty on Halo Anniversary’s Multiplayer? Do you have questions about the Reach Title Update? If so, this is the panel for you!

This was the billing for the multiplayer panel. I have to say, what we got was so, so disappointing. It was essentially a reiteration of all the information which was released before a single panel kicked off on Friday (information which was admittedly very exciting). It's just all so vague at the moment, a mere month before the update launches.

Fyrewulf was (rightly) ridiculed for jumping to conclusions about the effect of a bloomless DMR without a ROF cap. "Wait till Halofest, all will be revealed" was the response. How much clearer are we on this? We discovered that they have 0-100% bloom slider; how many iterations of this will be tested in the TU beta? We're hearing conflicting reports of bloomless DMR's mixed with three shot pistols that have slight bloom; completely 'zero bloom' gametypes; Halo CE magnums that are three shots to kill but have a slower rate of fire. We are shown a vidoc that discusses the return of the CE magnum whilst showing the Reach pistol, bloomless and without a ROF cap only for Ellis to (thankfully) post in the thread that the clip shown does not represent the 'classic' pistol intended for the update. With so much information released, a little clarity is required.

I hope this doesn't come off as an 'entitlement' post. I scoffed at those who lambasted 343 for not revealing anything about the TU before Halofest was here. I knew to be patient and wait for when we were told all would be revealed. That day has come and it is still very murky regarding exactly what we'll be getting with the update.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
thee henery said:
This was the billing for the multiplayer panel. I have to say, what we got was so, so disappointing. It was essentially a reiteration of all the information which was released before a single panel kicked off on Friday (information which was admittedly very exciting). It's just all so vague at the moment, a mere month before the update launches.

Fyrewulf was (rightly) ridiculed for jumping to conclusions about the effect of a bloomless DMR without a ROF cap. "Wait till Halofest, all will be revealed" was the response. How much clearer are we on this? We discovered that they have 0-100% bloom slider; how many iterations of this will be tested in the TU beta? We're hearing conflicting reports of bloomless DMR's mixed with three shot pistols that have slight bloom; completely 'zero bloom' gametypes; Halo CE magnums that are three shots to kill but have a slower rate of fire. We are shown a vidoc that discusses the return of the CE magnum whilst showing the Reach pistol, bloomless and without a ROF cap only for Ellis to (thankfully) post in the thread that the clip shown does not represent the 'classic' pistol intended for the update. With so much information released, a little clarity is required.

I hope this doesn't come off as an 'entitlement' post. I scoffed at those who lambasted 343 for not revealing anything about the TU before Halofest was here. I knew to be patient and wait for when we were told all would be revealed. That day has come and it is still very murky regarding exactly what we'll be getting with the update.

i think its all a work in progress and currently there is no clarity to give. the good news is we'll be testing out these changes and offering feedback, and that 343 is looking to make changes the community wants.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Striker said:
Used to until they ruined it (assuming you are talking TO 4v4).
Yea I was talking TO 4V4 I still enjoy playing Invasion, and Squad slayer if you guys need another person I'm pretty decent, and it would be nice to play with competent players.

soldat7

Dax01 said:
Who the fuck plays Action Sack and chooses Shotty Snipers over BOOM! Ball?!

*rages*

I stand by my years-long assertion that vetoes have been the worst thing to happen to Halo MP. I miss the days of Halo 2. :(

senador

Banned
@thee henery
I'm with you man. No disrespect to 343, and I don't mean to complain, but if others are like me, we are more confused than before. It sounds like there are lots of options and that is awesome, but I'd like the information more streamlined to what we might actually see and what to expect. I'd also like to hear more details on it all to know if others things were tweaked/fixed or if that list we got really is it.

Edit: VV That just makes it more confusing, ha. I don't think I want 3 shot kill either. I wouldn't mind keeping 5 shot but with no bloom or greatly reduced bloom.

Waiting for my flight back home. I only had the chance to play Timberland, Damnation and Installation 04.

Zero bloom slayer will be perfect for the guys who like to spawn with a single weapon and use only that weapon for the match. I'm really excited to try the 85 percent bloom playlists, which I don't believe were playable. And though I don't like the three-shot pistol (never have), every game I played felt like something I would enjoy playing for hours, which is a feeling I don't have about the current version of Reach.

I got my ass royally handed to me on a majestic purple platter on Damnation by Cocop, and I still had fun. It's hard to tell if it was the positive environment, the gameplay or a mixture of both, but I'm hopeful about the TU.

I'm curious to see what tweaks will go into which hoppers, and how a team of two will be able to keep up with the community's feedback. Also, it'll be interesting to see how influential voting data is to 343. I'm hoping that there will be different beta hoppers that cater to different groups of players.

PAX was phenomenal. I loved meeting the Halo community and those who helped make it what it is today. It was a great way to celebrate my birthday. Thanks to everyone who let me enjoy their company.

P.S. I had my boarding pass signed by Pete Stacker, Steve Downes and Tim Dadabo. My inner fanboy is still giddy.

xxjuicesxx said:
Why doesn't killing vehicles in FF Doubles count towards the commendation? It doesn't give you a score either when you shoot down a banshee... Weird. Also theres not enough vehicles in FF. Where they SHOULD BE.

Eww 10K kills to get RiflinThrough' to gold level?
It does count, the problem is that it's possible to kill the driver before destroying the vehicle. If you're trying to kill a banshee in a gametype with increased damage like Score Attack 2x, the best method is to laser it, stick it, or EMP it so that it falls to its death. Wraiths should be boarded from the back to plant a grenade. Ghosts are tricky, even under regular settings like Limited.

I'm about to get the Onyx commendation for Riflin' Through. Score Attack 2x is your friend.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hitmonchan107 said:
P.S. I had my boarding pass signed by Pete Stacker, Steve Downes and Tim Dadabo. My inner fanboy is still giddy.
That is awesome. Congrats, dude.

Count me in with the anti-3SK camp. I agree with Senador: 5SK with vastly reduced bloom sounds perfect. I mean, I'll play it and like it, but it's not my ideal.

Also, I was wondering: what are some good sites for MLG news/updates/analysis? Any interesting Twitter feeds? I'm wanna delve in. Or dip my toes in and see how the water feels, at least.

Homeboyd

Posted this in the other thread as I was heading out for the evening. Probably more relevant here now since Halo Fest is over:

So, I know we've heard quite a bit over the past few days at Halo Fest but it seemed like a lot of potentially good questions were wasted on information that's been known for quite some time. And even still, there is some confusion about some of the news revealed as well as some questions we still have on our own. I certainly do not expect anyone from 343 to drop in and answer all of these questions, but maybe there's something they wanted to talk about but was never brought up in any of the Q&A's (or perhaps they weren't ready to reveal anything else at the time).

Anyways, I figured we could get a list going of our own questions and you guys can build on it as you see fit. Would help a bit rather than having to go through 50 pages of questions. (Also, I haven't had a chance to watch any of the panels today so I could've missed answers to some of these).

Halo CEA and Reach MP

- How will playlist management be handled? One individual working behind the scenes that takes feedback from forum threads? Open relationship with the community? Team?

- TU options are not configurable, so does that mean you guys will be releasing a lot of varieties of game types that we will just have to save on our HD's? (i.e. Bloom 0%, 10%, 50%, 80%) etc..?

- Have all (major) TU features been revealed? Any discussion on other bugs/exploits in the game that are being looked at? (i.e. banshee nerf)

- Any new game "modes" being looked at with TU or can we just expect more variations like we've seen in Action Sack as they are pulled from the community?

- Any chance on seeing some medals in CEA campaign while in updated mode?

- What's the deal with the new helmet spotted on Battle Canyon? Looks like a mini-spartan and definitely shows the new helmet. Possibility of new armor variants available in the TU? Unlockable via credits, challenges, achievements, etc..?

- Ellis mentioned Forge discussion might be something mentioned in the MP panel on Sunday when asked about it in regards to the CEA maps on Saturday. Anything new you can tell us regarding Forge on CEA maps (besides what we saw in the bulletin a couple weeks back?)

- Good timeline to expect more discussion of Hang em High and the 'other' map none of us know about yet?

- How will community content be handled in terms of getting maps into Matchmaking? Will Community Cartographers continue? Where would we operate? Seems most would be in favor of "Community-Only playlists" that feature community maps instead of taking over core playlists with tons of Forge maps. Thoughts?

- Will the BPR rating from Waypoint be shown in any way in an in-game stat sheet? (i.e. a new 'rank'?)

- Any thoughts on current Arena and how its performing versus previous ranked-style playlists?

Waypoint

- Custom Challenges: Will these be available as soon as the Waypoint site is updated? Will they be viewable in-game? Any further discussion on the 'types of rewards' for completing these?

- Private groups possible?

- Will the "Gamma" forums begin as soon as the site is updated (within the next week or so?) Are those who are invited considered to be the new 'moderators' of the site or will it expand beyond those people? How long will this phase last?

Halo 4

- VGA's? :)

- Can we expect a departure from things we've grown accustomed to in the first trilogy? (in terms of music, gameplay mechanics, 'feel' of the game, features.. etc..) or should we expect something similar, just improved?

- I know Frankie mentioned there was no beta being discussed as of yet for Halo 4 via CEA, but when the game reaches that stage, will it be internal since MS has the resources or available to the public. (I know, this is a stretch. A big one)

- Forge was mentioned to be included but 'improved'.. (Didn't see the panel, just read someone's notes). Looking for inspiration on how it could be improved? Forge in and of itself is just an editor... are more 'substantial' editing tools being looked at?

That's all I have for now since I'm running out the door. Feel free to copy/add questions as you see fit. Or answer ones that have already been answered.

Striker

soldat7 said:
I stand by my years-long assertion that vetoes have been the worst thing to happen to Halo MP. I miss the days of Halo 2. :(
No voting in Halo 2 worked because every map sans Gemini and Backwash were fantastic.

What controller config does everybody use?

I've been using the default layout at sensitivity 6, but I'm thinking of switching to bumper jumper.

BlueScrote said:
Recon. I got used to reload on the RB and clawing provides similar benefits to BJ.

Anybody can play inverted. I used to play inverted on Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. I switched to Halo default some time during Halo 2, I think.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
BlueScrote said:

I've been using the default layout at sensitivity 6, but I'm thinking of switching to bumper jumper.

Default sensitivity 3. I was bumper jumping for a while, but decided it just wouldn't fit with default Reach.

Oh and while playing at Halo Fest and changing the controller settings prior to playing, I'd notice a few times where people would have it set on inverted. That's the same time a bunch of us found out Ram plays on inverted.

S
M
H

MrBig

Domino Theory said:
Default sensitivity 3. I was bumper jumping for a while, but decided it just wouldn't fit with default Reach.

Oh and while playing at Halo Fest and changing the controller settings prior to playing, I'd notice a few times where people would have it set on inverted. That's the same time a bunch of us found out Ram plays on inverted.

S
M
H
I fly RC planes under inverted setting and it feels perfectly natural, but I just cannot play games like that. It doesn't feel right.

heckfu

Banned
MrBig said:
I fly RC planes under inverted setting and it feels perfectly natural, but I just cannot play games like that. It doesn't feel right.

I feel like an idiot trying to play non-inverted. grew up playing inverted and dont feel like trying to reteach myself.

feel

Domino Theory said:

S
M
H
Did you talk to someone about Classic gametypes and Anniversary disc playlists? We on gaf are leaving Halofest with way more questions than we had entering. So disappointing how they pimped Halofest for so long as the moment where we would get all kinds of answers regarding the future of Reach and Anniversary multiplayer down to detail, and all we got was the reveal of maps and some of the new tools for the playlist managers.

HaloFest is over. Sad times are beginning now. I nearly cried on the Light Rail train when I headed to the Airport. (Still 2 days in Seattle) The Halo community I met at HaloFest is sooooooo awesome and then I realized that I won't meet them for the next years made me sad.

I played on every Map that was playable at HaloFest. I can't really post a text to each map. So I'm posting my top 4:
Timberland > Beaver Creek > Prisoner > Damnation.
And I really can't wait to see the map with epic background they mentioned in the MP panel. All the maps have already a epic background. So I'm asking what 343i definition of epic is.

With bloomless gametypes incoming, I might finally join HaloGAF. Reach was just such a colossal disappointment in both gameplay and maps.

thank you based frankie

Tunavi

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
And I really can't wait to see the map with epic background they mentioned in the MP panel. All the maps have already a epic background. So I'm asking what 343i definition of epic is.
Oh wow, I guess no one actually at halofest heard about the leak.

Homeboyd

Hypertrooper said:
Which leak? The Headlong one? I saw the video a few minutes ago.
Yeah that was definitely a leak. Youtube vids are out there as you've seen.

Still can't believe they fucked that up.

Edit: Guessing since the weekly didn't work right for 343 last week, we will see the 'new' one Ellis was talking about tomorrow. I know they won't be "new" as in something that isn't already available, but I'm interested in seeing how they tweaked it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
BlueScrote said:

I just switched from default to bumper jumper last week. It's been rough. I've been playing a lot of Deus Ex, and when I pop in Reach it takes a few games for me to really get comfortable with the new configuration again. I think it's definitely superior, though. Just takes some major getting used to.

Tunavi said:
5 Sensitivity
Bumper Jumper, switch to Default while respawning for jetpack
Damn, how you can you switch between layouts in ONE game? I'd be fumbling around like a scrub.

Ken

BlueScrote said:

Recon as soon as I could go to the options.

I think my sensitivity was set at 8 at my apartment, but it depends on the TV or monitor I'm on.

Top Bottom