• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

I wonder if Bungie could make shields take double-damage while a player is sprinting.

It would make people think twice about turning and running in the midst of combat, but they're a faster moving target, so the guy shooting them still has to earn the kill with some good aiming.

It would also let players take out people attempting the sprint+melee combo before they finish. Basically confine the use of sprinting to flanking, getting to power weapons faster, etc.

There's many flawed armor abilities, but Sprint is pretty much perfect as-is imo.

I think that's the first Weekly in more than five months that I completed. My goal is simply to hit General before Halo 4 comes out at this point. :lol

Trasher

The Antitype said:
I wonder if Bungie could make shields take double-damage while a player is sprinting.

It would make people think twice about turning and running in the midst of combat, but they're a faster moving target, so the guy shooting them still has to earn the kill with some good aiming.

It would also let players take out people attempting the sprint+melee combo before they finish. Basically confine the use of sprinting to flanking, getting to power weapons faster, etc.
It's not their game anymore, bro!

heckfu

Banned
The Antitype said:

I think that's the worst idea for AA repercussions. AA's were built in to the game and need some tweaking, like lessening the time of use or use based on health already. What you're suggesting is punishing someone for choosing sprint which, imo, is the dumbest thing ever.

feel

Captain Blood said:
So you are saying you would pay them for something that gives you no benefit other then the title that comes with paying them?
yep, paying for Halo makes me feel good

squidhands said:
Nice to hear that there is better forge palettes for the new maps.

You done any forging in Reach? I know I'd see you on forge hub a lot during H3 days. Personally I haven't been into it until recently. Probably finish my first map in over a year this week.

Sean P.

Sean P. said:
Heres all the videos I have :p

Halofest 4v4 Halo CEA Final - Battle/Beaver Creek Remake (Battle Canyon):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtasjD0zeVc

Halofest 4v4 Halo CEA Final - Timberland Remake (Ridgeline):
http://youtu.be/SmRWiDkwYDI

Halofest 4v4 Halo CEA Final - Prisoner Remake (Solitary)
http://youtu.be/pZ9pX2sfdJ0

Halofest 4v4 Halo CEA Final - Damnation Remake (Penace)
http://youtu.be/YhzJEQyrboQ

Halofest 4v4 Halo CEA Final - IGN Takes
http://youtu.be/6ERncmKbef4

Enjoy! And yes, our clan is Fire Sunshine. Long story.

Just going to bring these to this page incase anyone missed them and wanted to see.

And Letters they are normal reach settings with AA and everything, no TU changes

Farooq

Banned
ShortBizzle said:
You done any forging in Reach? I know I'd see you on forge hub a lot during H3 days. Personally I haven't been into it until recently. Probably finish my first map in over a year this week.

You had some pretty good maps in H3.

Nondual Customs...lol.

ShortBizzle said:
I did an upscaled version of Crown of Flies that made it into the Community Slayer hopper for a little bit, and I've got a map showing up in the Forge Hub 2v2 tournament. Other than that, I've been kind of frustrated with Forge World (and addicted to Firefight), but I have a few unfinished projects still hanging around on the hd. I'll be sure to check out your map when you post it.

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
wait when did we hear that?

what mistake?

The mistake some are making of thinking Bungie is still in control and making changes to Reach. An example. Not picking on him mind you.

The Antitype said:

ElRenoRaven

thezerofire said:
oh I thought you were advocating blaming 343 lol

No No No. So far 343 are doing a great job when it comes to Reach. That's more a reference to how people blame Bungie for everything from Halo being bright to their mom making something nasty for dinner. So it's saying they can now blame 343 instead.

squidhands said:
Max Hoberman mentioned it in the Multiplayer panel.
so Hang Em High for Forge Map confirmed?

PsychoRaven said:
No No No. So far 343 are doing a great job when it comes to Reach. That's more a reference to how people blame Bungie for everything from Halo being bright to their mom making something nasty for dinner. So it's saying they can now blame 343 instead.
yeah. I thought 343 had announced something terrible that I'd missed somehow

Farooq

Banned
thezerofire said:
so Hang Em High for Forge Map confirmed?

yeah. I thought 343 had announced something terrible that I'd missed somehow

Not really. They just mentioned how they were better able to implement forge pieces now that they have a bit of experience with it. Something they weren't able to do with their previously released maps.

Hang em High can still be a new forgeable space, but I don't think that is what they were saying at the panel.

Tawpgun

Blue Ninja said:
There's many flawed armor abilities, but Sprint is pretty much perfect as-is imo.

I think that's the first Weekly in more than five months that I completed. My goal is simply to hit General before Halo 4 comes out at this point. :lol
Sprint rushing begs to differ.

To a smaller extent, running away, and in objective games, catching up to the flag runner hella fast.

But in the grand AA scheme its the most balanced AA sans lologram.

squidhands said:
I did an upscaled version of Crown of Flies that made it into the Community Slayer hopper for a little bit, and I've got a map showing up in the Forge Hub 2v2 tournament. Other than that, I've been kind of frustrated with Forge World (and addicted to Firefight), but I have a few unfinished projects still hanging around on the hd. I'll be sure to check out your map when you post it.

In H3 we played both your variants, flies and fleas, quite a bit and now in Reach we play your new one fairly often. Great oddball map! We should get some of your unreleased ones into our weekly custom games for testing. I would like to check em out!

Kuroyume said:
Regarding Forge... Are there any Forge maps out there just made out of rocks and not using the usual grey stuff?

I've seen a few. Let me look some up for you...

Edit: The one Cory mentioned is one in particular I was thinking of, but I know I have seen a couple other ones. One was in the cave on forge world and one more in the Quarry. I scored forge hub for a few minutes, but I couldn't find them. I'll have to check my HDD when I get home tonight.

Kujo

I really hope Halo 4 will come with some of the CEA maps on disc or as a download code or something (eg. flashback map pack for new buyers). I'd hate for the remade Headlong to never see playtime outside Reach. And reunite it with Waterworks for H4 and BTB will be king again

feel

Trasher said:
Halo: Reach |OT6| Make us BELI343
Save the BELI343 for HaloGAF |OT1| at the end of the year xD

Though I would honestly prefer if it just said HaloGAF |OT1| Reach and Anniversary

edit- And again, damn Ram it's so fucking cool that Tim Dabado approached you at PAX to comment on beli343. :-D

cory021

Neo Member
Kuroyume said:
Regarding Forge... Are there any Forge maps out there just made out of rocks and not using the usual grey stuff?
Edin Minor in matchmaking has a pretty even distribution of grass/rocks and grey. The map's design isn't too shabby either.

Retro

squidhands said:

On that note, we seriously need to try and get ForgeGAF testing sessions back up to speed. It was fucking great to hop on Saturday Nights and steadily see maps evolve from rough concepts to really polished experiences. And the feedback (when people weren't assholes about it) was great.

NOKYARD said:
The Heroic SP record is 3:15 (unpublished), co-op is 3:27. If you are able to do the forklift gate trick you can sprint from start to finish without even firing your weapon. The zero-shot Legendary record is 3:18!

thee henery said:
You can complete it in under five minutes if you do the forklift glitch, sprint through the rest.

I knew about the forklift glitch, but didn't know it was that short. Too bad I can't reliably perform the forklift shortcut

FyreWulff

Gabotron ES said:
So I just had an awesome idea, what about adding civilian vehicles to the forge palette via the TU. BELI343.

They would have to not exceed the 512MB of RAM by loading them in to do that

Also I just landed back home and I think I might attempt to catch up on this thread when I wake up. Jesus.

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
Sprint rushing begs to differ.

To a smaller extent, running away, and in objective games, catching up to the flag runner hella fast.

But in the grand AA scheme its the most balanced AA sans lologram.

Sprint rushing fixed by bleed through change in TU...

Running away, objective games, catching up to the flag runner hella fast... are not always bad things. With balanced weapon load outs on balanced maps for the game type at hand, sprint offers much more dynamic game play, which really emphasizes skill and team work for a much longer period of overall time.

IMO that's a great thing - it means a team can't just fall into a cap, or fall into a setup that allowed a quick pull leading to a cap. It takes intention and team work over a much longer period of time. In regards to running away, it's up to the individual and team on how to counteract someone "running away". It's part of the trade off in having game types with multiple AA's available, and in a game where everyone has sprint it is 100% balanced as everyone has the same ability to move.

MLG found pretty quickly that having sprint as a default AA was a much better alternative in Reach than starting without an AA at all and trying to mix them. The game play is SO much better with everyone having sprint as default. The fear initially was that with people having the ability to run away, it would slow game play. What they found was the opposite when everyone had sprint. Game play is MUCH faster making every decision more important.

FyreWulff

Also the needle rifle zero bloom was hilariously overpowered, glad they're backing away from it.

You just fired at people's chests and it would automatically headshot for you due to how Reach's aim assist works.

But still, fun to finally actually be a question-asker at a panel for once and the Timberlands and Prison skyboxes.. neat.

Also I asked Shishka what happened to the 'official' Forge World Lockout. He explained it to me.

Also nice to finally meet quite a few HBOers and a couple of HaloGAFfers in person. Duncan's wolfcog shirt looks fucking impressive in person.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Also the needle rifle zero bloom was hilariously overpowered, glad they're backing away from it.
To clarify this, they are not backing away from anything. On day 1 of the show and a few times after they clarified that zero bloom is not something intended to be just rolled into matchmakikng, but was on hand to demonstrate the extreme end of what they can do with the TU options they'll have available. What will hit the beta hoppers, much less the first regular playlist is still in flux. It will likely be closerto the 85% level Shishka discussed than zero.

(I thought the DMR played very well with zero bloom on the small maps, but it would never work on larger maps like Ridgeline.)

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
To clarify this, they are not backing away from anything. On day 1 of the show and a few times after they clarified that zero bloom is not something intended to be just rolled into matchmakikng, but was on hand to demonstrate the extreme end of what they can do with the TU options they'll have available. What will hit the beta hoppers, much less the first regular playlist is still in flux. It will likely be closerto the 85% level Shishka discussed than zero.

(I thought the DMR played very well with zero bloom on the small maps, but it would never work on larger maps like Ridgeline.)

Shishka said at the TU panel that "zero bloom Needle Rifle turned out to not work so well". Or something really close to that.

I heard it, because I was sitting in the front row.

I am talking about them going from the PAX version of zero bloom being way overpowered to constrained bloom as they talked about.

I was happy to hear there was a a 0-100% factor they apply, instead of a discrete bloom/no bloom. I wonder if it can be applied to any weapon, though.

heckfu said:
I think that's the worst idea for AA repercussions. AA's were built in to the game and need some tweaking, like lessening the time of use or use based on health already. What you're suggesting is punishing someone for choosing sprint which, imo, is the dumbest thing ever.

I see your point.

And I love AAs, so the last thing I would want is for them to be devalued to the point that nobody uses them.

I was just thinking that such damage modeling would help ensure the ability wasn't abused (sprint+melee rushing, or running from battle, or catching up to flag carriers with ease), and instead forced players to use it intelligently, for flanking, rushing to power-weapons, and generally maneuvering through the map. Once they encounter an enemy, ideally it would be risk-reward to run from battle.

kylej

Banned
Letters said:
edit- SHISHKA RETURN TO GAF YOU'RE AWESOME :(

BY0nl.gif

Risen said:
MLG found pretty quickly that having sprint as a default AA was a much better alternative in Reach than starting without an AA at all and trying to mix them. The game play is SO much better with everyone having sprint as default. The fear initially was that with people having the ability to run away, it would slow game play. What they found was the opposite when everyone had sprint. Game play is MUCH faster making every decision more important.

Agreed. Sprint also adds to the spectator friendly aspect of the game as the faster paced action makes it much more appealing to the casual viewer base. Something that MLG always takes into account when tweaking their competitive settings. With that said I'm actually a bit surprised to see so many people within that community actually suggesting that, once the TU arrives, they do away with sprint altogether and go with 120% speed instead. That would be a big mistake IMO

FyreWulff

Also, how the hell were we supposed to get the Halofest Cortana avatar item? I didn't even know about it until I was packing up for the plane Sunday night :lol

Firefight on the new map was fun, but it either seemed the station was always configured as 3v1 and I never had ODST AI buddies when I tried it. I think the game players kept fucking with the settings while the Halofest staff weren't looking.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:
Also, how the hell were we supposed to get the Halofest Cortana avatar item? I didn't even know about it until I was packing up for the plane Sunday night :lol
I'll try and track down some codes for Halo GAF.

Gui_PT

My day is finally done.

Would anyone like to party up with me to get that weekly? If so, just reply here and I'll immediately get on.

lybertyboy said:
I'll try and track down some codes for Halo GAF.

I will gladly take one to test it out and see if it's good enough for HaloGAF.

Di...did that work...?

NOKYARD

Gui_PT said:
Would anyone like to party up with me to get that weekly? If so, just reply here and I'll immediately get on.
On now.

Update:

Winter Contingency 2 players - 9:52 using the falcon shortcut and only 10 to 20 seconds lost to mistakes.

Oni: Sword Base - 10:37 2 players, 10:05 3 players. We made a few mistakes (lost the target locator and had to go back to find it in both runs), were firing rockets at banshees when the time ran out. Even though this took longer than Winter Contingency i believe under 9 minutes is possible with a bit if coordination. In 4 player runs 2 teams of 2 could go to each of the outdoor objectives. Use the TL on the first courtyard, and the big gun switch. Gather rockets and snipe ammo for the hunters

Nightfall - 3:50 one of our players had to get ready for work and didn't know the forklift trick so we took the easy way out. Still going to try the rest of the levels if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom