• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Gui_PT

Ace 8095 said:
Can someone link me to information on the title update? I haven't been following Reach for a while but from what I gather it seems 343 is attempting bring back the glory of Halo.

Here you go

Props to Dani. Just CTRL+F "BS Angel TU Information"

Tawpgun

J10 said:
Are you kidding me? Nerfing Armor Lock wasn't enough? Jetpacks too? They are ruining this game for me.

Sigh. OK, I'm over it.
Stop trolling HaloGAF.....unless you were actually serious...if so, saikunfuckyou.png

A jetpack lover I can understand. As terribly game and map breaking as it is, its fun to use. But an Armor Lock lover? Now you've gone too far....

As for the Weekly.... I LOVE IT.

If only I had some fucking power... Irene wrecked my shit here. I hope everyone returning to the east coast from PAX finds their house intact and with power. Here in CT we got trees down everywhere. I found a downed powerline on my street too. It was a small on, but it probably needs to be fixed before they can give us power.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
If only I had some fucking power... Irene wrecked my shit here. I hope everyone returning to the east coast from PAX finds their house intact and with power. Here in CT we got trees down everywhere. I found a downed powerline on my street too. It was a small on, but it probably needs to be fixed before they can give us power.
After taking the brunt of all these storms for the last decade on the Gulf coast it's nice to finally have a break. I've never had any serious damage but it's just not something I ever want to deal with again.

Tawpgun

Thing is, your area and infrastructure is ready for this stuff. We don't get storms this bad up here. 60-70 mph winds and rain is nothing new. But to have them go higher and be sustained is. We're good at dealing with snow. A hurricane sneaking up... Not so much.

ZalinKrow

New weekly is very cool. This pleases me.

I still have to catch up on more of the panels. I'm pretty pleased with everything so far though. I'm really looking forward to those new maps! And the Halo 4 stuff that was shown and discussed has me pretty hyped aswell :)

Gui_PT

ZalinKrow said:

I still have to catch up on more of the panels. I'm pretty pleased with everything so far though. I'm really looking forward to those new maps! And the Halo 4 stuff that was shown and discussed has me pretty hyped aswell :)

Hey ZaL Inkrow. Have anyone to do the weekly with?

ZalinKrow said:

You're avatar...perfect.

ZalinKrow

Gui_PT said:
Hey ZaL Inkrow. Have anyone to do the weekly with?

Alas I do not! :p I'll definitely be on later on today if you're on though. Xand will probably be on aswell. I'm not too far off Eclipse so this 30,343 cR payout sure helps :D

ElzarTheBam said:
You're avatar...perfect.

Haha thank you :D I might try change the colours in it at some stage, but I'm pretty happy with the idea :p

vhfive

A27 Tawpgun said:
You live in Wilton right?
Over here in Bridgeport I never lost power.
nelsonhaha.gif

that's because there are no trees in bridgeport :p

senador

Banned
Weekly payout is awesome. The task is not.

I think weeklies should take more effort than this and multiple days to tackle. Still, this shows 343 is at least messing with them so thanks for that. :)

VV Nice. You guys are alright. ;) Big kudos to you and OWV for finding time to not only keep up to date with this thread but also post in a timely manner. This can't be easy with how busy you guys are and how many communities are out there. Thanks!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
senador said:
Weekly payout is awesome. The task is not.

I think weeklies should take more effort than this and multiple days to tackle. Still, this shows 343 is at least messing with them so thanks for that. :)
Lots of folks recovering from Halo Fest so consider this weekly a brief respite and a big old thank you to everyone who was there in person or participated online.

A27_StarWolf said:
I hope the flag physics have changed, those epic flag captures were great back in the day.

The reach flag physics are fine as is. You can still flag juggle in the playlists that allow it and you can still toss it up to teammates.

I have no problem with it changing though either, just sayin'.

NOKYARD

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm gonna get on for a little bit if anyone is interested in completing the weekly. Not sure what the best level to do that on would be.
The challenge is to not do it on Nightfall.

Long Night of Solace & The Package would be extremely difficult.
Exodus, Pillar of Autumn & New Alexandria are manageable if you know some of the shortcuts and players are coordinated.
The rest are fairly easy with competent players.

I may be running parties for this later today. (I would do it now but i am watching by brother's dog and he will not shut the fuck up)

lybertyboy said:
Lots of folks recovering from Halo Fest so consider this weekly a brief respite and a big old thank you to everyone who was there in person or participated online.

This is a great weekly. You see 343 taking the reins, you get teamwork involved, plus there is a huge payout. Win win win!

Tawpgun

vhfive said:
You live in Wilton right?
Over here in Bridgeport I never lost power.
nelsonhaha.gif

that's because there are no trees in bridgeport :p
No trees, just shootings :p

Good thing you practiced on Halo. I bet no one can hit you with your IRL strafe.

Anyway, they don't even have a full assessment of damage yet...CT light and power is saying it could be up to a week or more to get everyone power back... And I leave for school on Saturday... All friends gone already... No power... Worst week ever coming up...

For those curious, banshees on the firefight map Installation 04 cannot be hijacked, believe me I tried. Halofest was amazing as well as all the changes and maps with Reach, just kinda sad about no aerial firefight.

Skimmed all of the pages in this thread. Haven't watched anything besides that video of Headlong. I feel like I missed a ton. Hopefully I will have time to catch up tomorrow.

feel

Gui_PT said:
Here you go

Props to Dani. Just CTRL+F "BS Angel TU Information"
have they updated it yet with the post-halofest detailed gametype info OWV promised? Before it only had random facts that didn't explain much like "bloom can be adjusted"

On my cel and only gaf is loading right now, for some reason.

Also, are those Sean P vids Anniversary gameplay or Reach (AAs) gameplay?? Will still watch the second I can, just curious.

edit- eh, n/m it started loading other pages

GhaleonEB

Roddslayer said:
For those curious, banshees on the firefight map Installation 04 cannot be hijacked, believe me I tried. Halofest was amazing as well as all the changes and maps with Reach, just kinda sad about no aerial firefight.
There are two things on that map I noticed, but didn't have a chance to test out.

Can we use Banshees?

Do the Covenant use the man cannon?

I'm really bummed about the apparent answer in the former; I talked with someone else who stood on top of an overcharged Banshee trying to jack it, and also couldn't. I hope that gets enabled.

As for the man cannon (which is a great addition to Firefight), it's useful because the main structure only has two straight ramps up to the top of it. One of the main issues with Firefight maps is how many choke points there are and how easy it is to contain the Covenant from a position of safety. Unearthed was designed to get around that problem and it works quite well.

I'm hoping the Covenant were coded to see the man cannon as a 3rd way up, but didn't get a chance to test it. Partly because that will make the map more challenging, and partly because the image of Grunts raining down on me from above is a hilarious one.

I played on the map for a bit, and liked it a lot from my sampling. Lots of great jumps and paths to leverage and some great sight lines, and it's gorgeous to boot. I just hope it's not too easy to camp the top of the base (shades of Outpost).

It's weird that there are Banshees that you can and can't hijack, at the start of Tip of the Spear I always tried to EMP the Banshee that you see at the start only to find that I couldn't get into it. I was surprised that I could on the otherhand hijack one of the Banshees during the Halsey defense sequence, there was no Elite in it to kick out though so that was kind of weird.

Made that entire encounter a breeze needless to say.

HiredN00bs said:
Can some of the guys who went to the multiplayer panel (or watched the stream) give us impressions? IGN still hasn't posted the video.

The panel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CKZg4WpD0

Watch the guy on the far left (the .map evader) when the question about glitched assasinations is asked.

Bluescrote said:
Is nightfall really that short? I haven't played through it in quite some time.

You can complete it in under five minutes if you do the forklift glitch, sprint through the rest.

NOKYARD said:
The challenge is to not do it on Nightfall.

Long Night of Solace & The Package would be extremely difficult.
Exodus, Pillar of Autumn & New Alexandria are manageable if you know some of the shortcuts and players are coordinated.
The rest are fairly easy with competent players.

I may be running parties for this later today. (I would do it now but i am watching by brother's dog and he will not shut the fuck up)

I was thinking Winter Contingency was the way to go (like usual).

Woorloog

Banned
Tunavi said:
PUT A FALCON ON INSTALLATION 04
Falcon in Firefight? That would be awesome but i wonder how the AI would react, assuming it's more or less standard Firefight AI...
BTW, can we get the AI attack as one horde rather than doling out a squad at time?

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Boarding a Banshee makes zero sense barring any changes to the Banshee itself.
I think it would be...odd to place a Banshee on the map and not enable players to use it. It was on Holdout, but on that map the Banshees generally are out of boarding range. On I04, they were regularly seen doing really low, slow passes at a level players could access them easily, the sort we see on Tip of the Spear or The Package when the game is nudging us to try and board one. Maybe that will be changed, since it's still in the works. But a map where we could hop in a Banshee for a while would be fun. It works on the Glacier space during Campaign, and would have were they included in the Firefight mode of that map.

I like the idea mostly because it's just different, something totally new to Firefight.

Also, props for the regular Warthog on I04. I cheered. The ODSTs I'm less excited about - mostly because I was hoping for Flood - but the good thing about them is Score Attack players will be able to have Warthog gunner and thus have access to a vehicle on spawn. I'd hoped for something like a Ghost, but I'll gladly take the chance to romp a Warthog instead, which is much more fun (even with Reach's iteration of them).

NOKYARD

BlueScrote said:

I was thinking Winter Contingency was the way to go (like usual).
The Heroic SP record is 3:15 (unpublished), co-op is 3:27. If you are able to do the forklift gate trick you can sprint from start to finish without even firing your weapon. The zero-shot Legendary record is 3:18!

I believe the best (as in most fun) would be New Alexandria or Tip of the Spear with 3 or 4 players.

Striker

It's not odd because the Banshee is a flying nuke. With the evasive maneuvers, plus Banshee bomb, and the Covenant having no viable weapons to feasibly take a human pilot down sans a lucky stick or plasma pistol EMP, it gives players a much easier way to pad the Vehicular commendation.

Think of it this way: human players in BTB and Invasion have enough trouble taking down a skilled *snicker* Banshee user with DMR's - if only for more comedic value I wouldn't mind it, but it offers no challenge.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
It's not odd because the Banshee is a flying nuke. With the evasive maneuvers, plus Banshee bomb, and the Covenant having no viable weapons to feasibly take a human pilot down sans a lucky stick or plasma pistol EMP, it gives players a much easier way to pad the Vehicular commendation.

Think of it this way: human players in BTB and Invasion have enough trouble taking down a skilled *snicker* Banshee user with DMR's - if only for more comedic value I wouldn't mind it, but it offers no challenge.
It's odd to place a vehicle on a map and then disable our ability to use it. Imagine if we couldn't jack Ghosts; I don't see this as any different. There's something we can normally use, on the map, but we can't use it. I get that the Banshee is a flying nuke. It's also fragile. These things can be balanced.

It's not a huge deal, it's just going to linger as a bit of a tease. The plus side is the map will be another that will have vehicles to toast on it; gunning down Banshees in the Warthog is one of those seminal Halo moments, and that's clearly what they were going for, rather than a map to romp in a Banshee.

Hey You

With Gears getting a season pass, do you think future Halo games will do something similar?

Would you pay ahead of time to get a discount on DLC?

Just boarded my plane to head home. Halofest and Seattle has been a blast. I literally only played one game on the show floor which I hear there will be pictures of later. Whenever I would walk around PAX with the intention of playing something I would see the line then just say fuck it I'm going back to play Halo lol.

Hey You said:
With Gears getting a season pass, do you think future Halo games will do something similar?

Would you pay ahead of time to get a discount on DLC?

For Halo, probably, but I doubt I'm going to get the Gears one.

A $30 pass is a lot for a game that I will probably only play regularly for a few months.

feel

I'd buy the Halo season pass. Not because of the discount, but because I would just enjoy the feel of commitment to a new game of the multiplayer franchise I love and that has no equal. I've been paying Bungie Pro for years and I've barely used its perks.

And I'm watching the Multiplayer panel right now, and it's been really nice so far, much better than what you guys were making it sound yesterday. Can't wait for the Q&A lulztrain.

Oh, and the Halo 4 panel that I finally watched last night, GOT ME HYPED BIG TIME!!

edit- SHISHKA RETURN TO GAF YOU'RE AWESOME :(

Letters said:
I'd buy the Halo season pass. Not because of the discount, but because I would just enjoy the feel of commitment to a new game of the multiplayer franchise I love and that has no equal. I've been paying Bungie Pro for years and I've barely used its perks.

And I'm watching the Multiplayer panel right now, and it's been really nice so far, much better than what you guys were making it sound yesterday. Can't wait for the Q&A lulztrain.

Oh, and the Halo 4 panel that I finally watched last night, GOT ME HYPED BIG TIME!!
So you are saying you would pay them for something that gives you no benefit other then the title that comes with paying them?

cory021

Neo Member
wwm0nkey said:
Full Anniversary CTF match

I am pretty sure at 1:08 that flag slides pretty far.
I'm trying to watch the video for any hints as to whether the strafing has been improved, but I don't see any differences. Mainly because all his turns are wide turns through hallways, and all his battles are a sort of zig-zag towards the enemy.

Also, it's good news to hear that automatic weapon's bloom can be adjusted as well. The DMR already has an advantage over automatic weapons as it is. As an AR fan, I would hate to see the AR become more obsolete.

Letters said:

edit- SHISHKA RETURN TO GAF YOU'RE AWESOME :(
haha, I'm watching the panel on my phone right now, and I'm thoroughly impressed that Shishka was the driving force behind the CE pistol's return. Big props to you, sir.

About Installation 04, do the ODSTs drop when it's time for the reinforcement call, is it round based, or are they just constantly repopulating when they get depleted? Goddamn, all these maps look gorgeous.

NOKYARD

Party is open if anyone wants to join in. GT runNOKYARDrun.

Thought i would start at ONI and run through the levels to see which ones (other than Nightfall) work best. Come to think about it, Winter Contingency should be moved to the extremely difficult category if you don't know the Falcon trick, but i am going to try it anyway.

Top Bottom