• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:
Awesome. Awesome. I'm going to re-read Halo:Cryptum next week. Damn, I want that cover as poster.

I will see if we can get a wallpeper version, Sparth will probably want to keep it portrait aspect ratio though. Also, Sparth's paintings for the covers are VERY much like and related to his concept work for Halo 4. We'll show some of that eventually.

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
I will see if we can get a wallpeper version, Sparth will probably want to keep it portrait aspect ratio though. Also, Sparth's paintings for the covers are VERY much like and related to his concept work for Halo 4. We'll show some of that eventually.
Halo 4 art book MUST happen then.

Also guess Halo 4 is very forerunner related then, though I am pretty sure that was obvious lol

senador

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
After playing Classic the other day for the first time in a while, I have no interest in sprint for Halo 4. That movement feels so smooth. And don't give us that Halo 3 bullshit walking around 2 miles an hour, Halo 2 movement speeds or bust!

It seems you have been quoted on this statement a lot, but I'd like to weigh in too anyway.

The past games never felt too fast for me, but Classic does. Maybe its just because Reach isn't meant for those speeds and the maps aren't either. I like the grounded approach to Reach, but I think what I like is the gravity. If I jump, go high sure, but bring me down quickly. Past Halos were too floaty for me.

Anyway, back to speed. I played Classic when it first came out and I had to stop. It was just too chaotic and fast for me. I got kind of motion sick from it. If Halo 4 has increased speed (I'm sure it will), I just hope its "right" and not overdone. Maybe maps that scale to the speed would help.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Do me a favor:

1. Borrow/steal the painting Sparth made and throw it on a high-res scanner.
2. Print out a color copy on glossy paper (printer settings at max) and stick it in a folder marked "ncsuDuncan".
3. Ten years from now make sure that folder gets put into my 343 Swag Bag.

:p

senador

Banned
Gabotron ES said:
Oh ok and yes, it was me who posted that image and I'm still waiting for some HaloGAF members to submit their spartan for the Reach one. :/
I have 36 entries so far.

I did this last night but I didn't sit still long enough to get a good pose, and it turned out too dark. What's the best map to do this on? Does it need to be straight on? Do you need a solid background for easier Photoshopping?

OuterWorldVoice said:
My body is ready.

senador said:
I did this last night but I didn't sit still long enough to get a good pose, and it turned out too dark. What's the best map to do this on? Does it need to be straight on? Do you need a solid background for easier Photoshopping?

Read the tutorial

You have to stand at a certain spot on Swordbase.

EDIT: beaten

Ruze789

senador said:
Anyway, back to speed. I played Classic when it first came out and I had to stop. It was just too chaotic and fast for me. I got kind of motion sick from it. If Halo 4 has increased speed (I'm sure it will), I just hope its "right" and not overdone. Maybe maps that scale to the speed would help.

I liked the playlist and could even deal with the gray of all the Forge World maps but the lag was what killed it for me. Tried playing on every different network I have access to but it was unplayable on all of them.

Classic is still my favorite playlist. Halo CE maps were pretty gray so i guess that is why I can look passed the gray and enjoy good maps.

Classic seemed fast for like a few games, then i got used it it. Halo really plays better with faster movement.

Strafe actually matters and you can actually avoid nades without armor locking.

Nades are nukes and the AR is way too powerful though. That is what holds it back for me.

BigShow36 said:
Any increase in movement speed must have a corresponding increasing in movement acceleration to feel right (I'm sure you know this, just pointing it out). Obviously Halo games need faster base movement speed than the garbage we got for Halo 3 and Reach, but it also needs much crisper strafing.

If 343 fails and doesn't make faster default movement speed and strafe acceleration, at the very least the strafe acceleration needs to be tied to movement speed in the custom options (meaning any increase in speed will not result in "ice skating").

Yes, of course they should go hand in hand. We need both.

senador said:
It seems you have been quoted on this statement a lot, but I'd like to weigh in too anyway.

The past games never felt too fast for me, but Classic does. Maybe its just because Reach isn't meant for those speeds and the maps aren't either. I like the grounded approach to Reach, but I think what I like is the gravity. If I jump, go high sure, but bring me down quickly. Past Halos were too floaty for me.

Anyway, back to speed. I played Classic when it first came out and I had to stop. It was just too chaotic and fast for me. I got kind of motion sick from it. If Halo 4 has increased speed (I'm sure it will), I just hope its "right" and not overdone. Maybe maps that sscale to the speed would help.

I don't like the floaty jump either, but there still could be a higher jump than Reach as long as their is significant gravity to bring you down quickly like you said.

OuterWorldVoice said:
We so excited.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Thank you sir, thank you soo much. Will we get the early sketches, that Sparth made for Halo: Cryptum? (I know you said that he did impressive stuff.)

king picollo said:
You know what i tell a lie, i read the one that supposedly connects CE with Halo 2.

That was enough to put me off the rest, i didn't think it could give a feel for the action very well.

You should read Fall of Reach - its what got a lot of people exited for Halo Reach...

OOPS! Silly us. ;)

senador

Banned
Thanks Gui and Napsta. I forgot about the instructions. :/

Steelyuhas said:
I don't like the floaty jump either, but there still could be a higher jump than Reach as long as their is significant gravity to bring you down quickly like you said.

I need to go play Classic again, or go back to 3 and see what I think since its been a while.

I've been reluctant to go back to older player movements but I think its mainly the floaty jump I don't like when I have been paying attention.

Speaking of paying attention... I've been really trying to pay attention to Reach to make better judgement and after getting assassinated a few too many times by cloaked bitches, losing kills or getting double melee'd due to sprinters, evaded away from and into, armor locked too many times, and the last straw last night was Asylum against a team of packers...I love my sprint, but in Halo 4 I do not want any AAs.

Consider me a convert, I'm through with Armor Abilities.

neoism

Letters said:
The real-time switch for new and old visuals of Anniversary was a genius way of having your game slap people and their bad opinions for you.

"Really? No visual improvement whatsoever?? Exactly the same? Press Select..."

Though the jump in visuals will be way more apparent when people play it in their 47' screens at home, rather than judging from a youtube vid.

VVV

And I agree with you. Can't believe people think it looks bad, seeing the beautiful updated models to the old classics made my d*** twitch,
9hi6q9.jpg

but maybe I'm biased or influenced by nostalgia, I don't know. It still hurts seeing 343's work and direction being trashed like that in that thread, people where expecting a Halo CEmake that looked/played nothing like Halo CE but more similar to whatever is the hot gritty new trend now or something? I hate gaf/theinternet :(
sad but true people will bitch about anything and everything... smh I think its looks amazing DAY 1

wwm0nkey said:
Read The Fall of Reach and you will want to read the rest.
It turned me off to reading any more Halo fiction, actually. I'm probably alone in this, but I just didn't dig the writing style.

Also just tagged a couple of shots for Gabo's community photo. Choose either one.

Looking at all the tagged shots, this one jumped out at me:

axpdp.png

Too much time spent being a... Halo apologetic...
Must... find... something... to... complain... about...

Man, that HUD looks terrible; why would they make you stare at a "343 Industries" watermark while playing? I am so mad a Microsoft.

trollface.jpg

kylej

Banned
So this is probably a dumb question, but I asked this last night while donging and nobody was entirely sure; knowing that CE will use Reach for multiplayer, will that multiplayer gameplay be different from vanilla Reach? Like, radically different? Or is it just going to be a map pack for Reach replete with armor lock, jetpacks, etc.

I'm kind of hoping the MP will play virtually identical to CE or maybe a hybrid between that and Halo 2. I just can't imagine playing with armor abilities or nuke-nades on Headlong.

squidhands said:
It turned me off to reading any more Halo fiction, actually. I'm probably alone in this, but I just didn't dig the writing style.

Also just tagged a couple of shots for Gabo's community photo. Choose either one.

Looking at all the tagged shots, this one jumped out at me:

axpdp.png
Yep, he took the photo while performing an assasination.
Thanks for participating bro ;)

kylej said:
So this is probably a dumb question, but I asked this last night while donging and nobody was entirely sure; knowing that CE will use Reach for multiplayer, will that multiplayer gameplay be different from vanilla Reach? Like, radically different? Or is it just going to be a map pack for Reach replete with armor lock, jetpacks, etc.

I'm kind of hoping the MP will play virtually identical to CE or maybe a hybrid between that and Halo 2. I just can't imagine playing with armor abilities or nuke-nades on Headlong.

It's going to be both. The map pack is for Reach, but as a part of the upcoming TU, there is going to be a bunch of new options to make "classic Halo" possible and their will be matchmaking playlist(s) to play with those options.

They will also just be a pack for Reach, that you can play on just like you would Noble and Defiant (if they were to ever come up in matchmaking lol).

It's looking like 343's Halo games are not going to be lacking in the art direction department, stuff looks great.

Tawpgun

senador said:
Thanks Gui and Napsta. I forgot about the instructions. :/

I need to go play Classic again, or go back to 3 and see what I think since its been a while.

I've been reluctant to go back to older player movements but I think its mainly the floaty jump I don't like when I have been paying attention.

Speaking of paying attention... I've been really trying to pay attention to Reach to make better judgement and after getting assassinated a few too many times by cloaked bitches, losing kills or getting double melee'd due to sprinters, evaded away from and into, armor locked too many times, and the last straw last night was Asylum against a team of packers...I love my sprint, but in Halo 4 I do not want any AAs.

Consider me a convert, I'm through with Armor Abilities.
You have been awakened.

I hope 343 isn't afraid to undo some of the changes Bungie put in because they think it would offend them.

ElRenoRaven

kylej said:

Well the behind the scenes did say that you could play on all new maps with the sandbox of Reach including your favorite armor abilities. So I would say so. Now they are working on something that's like Classic++. We don't know what exactly that will consist of but hopefully it's most Halo CE then Reach when it's revealed.

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
You have been awakened.

I hope 343 isn't afraid to undo some of the changes Bungie put in because they think it would offend them.

I really only like to use Sprint myself, but i've been mostly on the side of the fence for getting rid of them for quite a while now. I've been defending them for the sake of those that like them. My friends like them. At this point though, I don't care and instead of balancing them I think I'd like to see them gone for 4. A classic approach may be better in welcoming players and for 343s first venture. Hopefully it will be enough fun for my friends to come back anyway. I'll play alone or with GAF.

I don't think they'd be worried about offending Bungie by making changes. 343 has a lot of respect for Bungie, as they should. All they need to do is be respectful, and I've seen nothing but that from them. Personally, I think they'd be more worried about making changes that offend the general population of Halo players. Going to a more classic approach may feel like losing features to many, and that could be a risk. That's a risk I hope they take.

Hmm, playlist management is going to be tricky come November. 343 will have to take into account a wide variety of players:

Reach
Reach + Noble
Reach + Defiant
Reach + CEA
Reach + Noble + Defiant
Reach + Noble + CEA
Reach + Defiant + CEA
Reach + Noble + Defiant + CEA

That's 8 different combinations. I wonder if the CEA disc will let you use other DLC as well?

CEA + Noble
CEA + Defiant
CEA + Noble + Defiant

Which brings it to 11 different combinations.
I'm waiting to see how many playlists we will end up with and what DLC each will include (and what DLC each will require).

Personally, I'm not worried because I'll have all of it. I'm just curious.

ncsuDuncan said:
It still affects you though, since fewer players in each hopper means longer matching times and less tuned matches (Skill, Connection, etc.).

And this is why I hate multiplayer DLC.

Great news about Primordium. I became an instant fan of the beautiful merging of Greg Bear and the Halo franchise with Cryptum. I can't wait to see what's next. I try and figure out in my head what could possibly happen next and my head just can't wrap around everything that has occurred in just one book. Anyone have any predictions?

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Hmm, playlist management is going to be tricky come November. 343 will have to take into account a wide variety of players:

Reach
Reach + Noble
Reach + Defiant
Reach + CEA
Reach + Noble + Defiant
Reach + Noble + CEA
Reach + Defiant + CEA
Reach + Noble + Defiant + CEA

That's 8 different combinations. I wonder if the CEA disc will let you use other DLC as well?

CEA + Noble
CEA + Defiant
CEA + Noble + Defiant

Which brings it to 11 different combinations.
I'm waiting to see how many playlists we will end up with and what DLC each will include (and what DLC each will require).

It will probably just end up like Halo 3. Either "All DLC" for required DLC playlists, or nothing.

Also, Invasion can never require DLC because it has two disc achievements tied to it (Skunk and the Bro Spawn ones), and you cannot require DLC (even if it's free!) for disc achievements in any game.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
It still affects you though, since fewer players in each hopper means longer matching times and less tuned matches (Skill, Connection, etc.).

And this is why I hate multiplayer DLC.
It just further highlights how great we had it with Halo 2 and the Heroic pack for Halo 3, when they went free/required after a few months. I understand why that's no longer the case (the map packs generate cash monies for months and years on end), but the fragmentation to the userbase is significant.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
It will probably just end up like Halo 3. Either "All DLC" for required DLC playlists, or nothing.

I would imagine this would be the case.

Duncan, they've said CEA multiplayer maps only on the disc, you can't access the others (unless downloaded and playing from Reach disc) so I'd assume this to be true for DLC too.

GhaleonEB said:
It just further highlights how great we had it with Halo 2 and the Heroic pack for Halo 3, when they went free/required after a few months. I understand why that's no longer the case (the map packs generate cash monies for months and years on end), but the fragmentation to the userbase is significant.

I kind of wish they'd forgo the thousands it brings in...its small in terms of overall MS. Sacrifice a little to keep the player base happier. I wonder if free maps later and having a broader selection of maps (many times they are better maps) would keep players going longer and lead to bigger sales for the next game.

I also think studios should have a donation system. I'd donate money for things like this. Maybe I'll have to do map pack giveaways instead.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:

It really was. I know these companies are in it for the money but I'd love to see them not be so greedy. Keep DLC paid for for a 6 months to a year then make it free. Even if you have to get sponsors. It would bring some goodwill back.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
http://i.imgur.com/SJKp7.jpg
I was going to go with, "My armpits, smell them," but that works too.
PsychoRaven said:
ROFLMAO. Speaking of that shot though anyone know how they did that? A glitch or something?
It's the assasination where you jump down on top of the other player and stomp.

You know what'd be awesome? If a "DLC" checkbox was added to your matchmaking preferences. It would automatically highlight which DLC you had on hand, and only allow you to check which maps you had. Say, for example:

Maps
-Noble
-Defiant
-Anniversary

All of your available maps would be checked by default, but if you wanted to, say, only search for Anniversary maps when they came out, you could select just them and leave everything else unchecked.

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
It really was. I know these companies are in it for the money but I'd love to see them not be so greedy. Keep DLC paid for for a 6 months to a year then make it free. Even if you have to get sponsors. It would bring some goodwill back.
Bring Peter Moore back and have him get a tattoo that just says FREE DLC.

Dani said:
He works for the DLC Devil now. Be lucky MS don't take after EA in that regard.
Has the EA Sports DLC program been that bad? I honestly wouldn't know.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
He works for the DLC Devil now. Be lucky MS don't take after EA in that regard.

Yea. I do give MS props on that. Thy don't charge 15 bucks for 5 maps which 3 are just old ones that are different times of day. They don't charge for shit you can unlock either. So yea I do give MS props there.

GhaleonEB said:

Yep. I think tonight I'll try to type up my idea into a Misriah post (not a full article, it's just a crazy little DLC brainstorm).

DLC and playlist integration is a pretty complicated subject:
- First, it's a business. Developers deserve to be paid for the work they do to make maps. Microsoft has investors that want them to make money. This is reasonable.

- DLC owners deserve to play on the new maps they buy.

- Disc-only owners deserve to play on the maps they bought and in the game modes advertised on the box.

- DLC early adopters should be rewarded.

- DLC late adopters should not be punished (but it shouldn't be overly appealing to wait, either).​
One of the biggest problems I see right now is that you can buy the Defiant DLC without already having the Noble DLC. I have a friend who decided to do this for some ungodly reason. This problem only gets worse as you add more DLC packs.

The ODST Mythic disc was a good idea, but it was too little too late. Not to mention that package was pretty steep at $60 on top of whatever you paid for Halo 3 and the previous DLC.

Top Bottom