• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Steelyuhas said:
After playing Classic the other day for the first time in a while, I have no interest in sprint for Halo 4. That movement feels so smooth. And don't give us that Halo 3 bullshit walking around 2 miles an hour, Halo 2 movement speeds or bust!
Halo2's movement did feel really good.

Whoever posted that image of Jorge "bailing out" of the Saber when you dock at Anchor 9, you've officially ruined this scene for me. I'm trying to do this Daily and I just start giggling when I see him do that leap now.

FyreWulff

Barrow Roll said:
Whoever posted that image of Jorge "bailing out" of the Saber when you dock at Anchor 9, you've officially ruined this scene for me. I'm trying to do this Daily and I just start giggling when I see him do that leap now.

RvB has now ruined that entire sequence for me

TOUCH

Its amazing I never played the first Halo campaign, good thing though this will be like a completely new game with good graphics to me! Yay!

Also I won a copy of Office 11 for Mac but I don't own a Mac and already have two legit PC Office copies. PM me anyone its just a download code.

xxjuicesxx said:
Its amazing I never played the first Halo campaign, good thing though this will be like a completely new game with good graphics to me! Yay!
Dawg, get on Reach. I got a few games in me before I go to sleep.

MrBig

How is it possible to have not played the first campaign?!?
Barrow Roll said:
Dawg, get on Reach. I got a few games in me before I go to sleep.
Barrow Roll
(Today, 07:32 AM)
Reply | Quote

xxjuicesxx said:
How is this possible? Did you play CE's mutliplayer? Were you abducted by aliens for a short leave of absence? As often as the storyline is discussed in these threads, that's crazy that you've never played through the story that started it all. I think you'll enjoy it.

GhaleonEB said:
Great song from a great movie.

I've been mesmerized by Lateralus the past few weeks. Here's Danny Carey doing things with drums only an athletic octopus should be able to do.
Brilliant writing, brilliant musicianship. Best band ever. EVER

Sikamikanico said:
He's a fantastic drummer, I spent this morning listening to Push it (Live) off Salival, amazing version of the song, would love them to do a studio version. If you haven't seen Tool perform, you haven't lived. My favourite band :D
This, or partaken of Maynard's spectacular wines.

Those Anniversary screens are looking very sexy indeed. So glad that I've held off on my annual CE campaign run; this is gonna be
better be
great.

FyreWulff

Here's what I don't get about idlers in Firefight:

Do they not realize that they can actually finish the Weekly faster if they participate?

It's really annoying when it appears you have a full group of 4 people actually playing. We're cutting through the waves and rounds like a hot chainsaw through butter. We finished Round 2 and there was like 14 minutes left on the game clock or some shit.

And then as soon as Round 3 hits, IDLE TIEM. So now it's 2 people that are still playing against a wave with Mythic and Tilt on, and we go from possibly completing the game in under 10 minutes to playing down until about 3 minutes are left on the clock because the Heretic wave takes forever to clear out with only 2 people.

It's been like this in the past 2-3 games. Looks great for the first 2 rounds, then they go idle and make the game drag out.

So instead of getting 6 Rounds towards the weekly every 20 minutes, they end up with 3 or maybe 4 because apparently actually playing this game is too much effort.

FyreWulff said:

Logic fail though, because time spent away from the Xbox and time spent actually playing isn't equal.

So it doesn't matter it takes them longer because they aren't sitting, watching, they are doing other things and still getting credits.

Its like if I could get credits being away. It would be irrelevant how much I'm racking up really, as long as my ranks going up. That's what they do.

Louis Wu

PsychoRaven said:
BTW speaking of pictures of Master Chief I have to ask anyone at MS/343/Bungie who might know but what ever happened to This? License plate painted over to protect the innocent. lol
Holy crap - I'd never seen that guy outside of E3 (1 | 2 | 3). Was that the lobby of one of the Millenium buildings?

FyreWulff said:

Do they not realize that they can actually finish the Weekly faster if they participate?

It's really annoying when it appears you have a full group of 4 people actually playing. We're cutting through the waves and rounds like a hot chainsaw through butter. We finished Round 2 and there was like 14 minutes left on the game clock or some shit.

And then as soon as Round 3 hits, IDLE TIEM. So now it's 2 people that are still playing against a wave with Mythic and Tilt on, and we go from possibly completing the game in under 10 minutes to playing down until about 3 minutes are left on the clock because the Heretic wave takes forever to clear out with only 2 people.

It's been like this in the past 2-3 games. Looks great for the first 2 rounds, then they go idle and make the game drag out.

So instead of getting 6 Rounds towards the weekly every 20 minutes, they end up with 3 or maybe 4 because apparently actually playing this game is too much effort.

If I were the only one playing in a situation like that I'd just do the same thing. I'm not going to carry them through a round.

HALO-Primordium-FINAL-HC2.jpg

More info here!

Thanks to hotshot revan on HBO.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Welcome to bad game design 101 - Filling the Bar and Bad Reward Implementation.

Reach is a bit of an enigma because technically it's got some very nice upgrades to the Halo series with the engine. However some of the game design decisions seem like there made without any oversight. It's like they hired a "B" team to come and fake their last Halo game while all the elders were off on the new project without so much as looking across the office to see what the juniors were up to.

My hope for 343 is that they focus on the actual gameplay and less on extraneous fluff like armor permutations, challenges, and filling bars.

FyreWulff

LunaticPuma said:
Welcome to bad game design 101 - Filling the Bar and Bad Reward Implementation.

Reach is a bit of an enigma because technically it's got some very nice upgrades to the Halo series with the engine. However some of the game design decisions seem like there made without any oversight. It's like they hired a "B" team to come and fake their last Halo game while all the elders were off on the new project without so much as looking across the office to see what the juniors were up to.

My hope for 343 is that they focus on the actual gameplay and less on extraneous fluff like armor permutations, challenges, and filling bars.

People have been idling since Halo 2. It's not really a new craze.

What would nip it right in the bud would be being able to votekick idlers out of a game, but that would probably just end up being abused.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
FyreWulff said:
People have been idling since Halo 2. It's not really a new craze.

What would nip it right in the bud would be being able to votekick idlers out of a game, but that would probably just end up being abused.

True, but idlers were not often rewarded in Halo 2. Idlers in Reach actually benefit from it by receiving credits hence bad reward implementation. Idlers in Halo 2 or 3 would maybe get a win in a ranked playlist if lucky.

Credits should be given based on winning and medals in MP with game completion credits being 2-3x as much for winning in ranked playlists and equal for both teams in social playlists. In FF they should be based on quick completion or # of waves completed with big bonuses for completing a full set. Reach doesn't reward playing the game appropriately. It blows my mind that this wasn't obvious to anyone at Bungie.

FyreWulff

xxjuicesxx said:
Cmon man.

Really?

Yup, really. It's why I stopped playing Ranked Team SWAT in Halo 2. I had almost an idler per game, sometimes 2, from people trying to idle for rank because the games were extremely quick compared to other playlists.

Some people are just so far gone that they'll spend the money to buy a game and then not actually play it.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Holy crap - I'd never seen that guy outside of E3 (1 | 2 | 3). Was that the lobby of one of the Millenium buildings?

Don't remember the name of the Building it was the one of the Xbox campus buildings that had the small cafeteria in it. Might have been the Millenium. Been so long though I can't be sure. That picture is from 04 back when I was still an MVP and went up there for the yearly summit. It was that year I achieved my dream. We saw Bungie that day up on the Second floor of the building. Frankie was in the corner sitting on a desktop talking to some guys with the sun glistening off his bald head, others were gathered around a tv showing off a certain game with a 2 after it. By the door was a bowl of mutant mix at a cubicle. lol

It was a dream come true. Sadly we were forbidden from taking pictures which considering what awesomeness was going on was understandable. Sadly the pictures I did get to take were lost on when I had computer issues but I was lucky enough that at that time we had some great MVPs that I can say I was proud to be a part of and they had copies of some they took.

Ramirez

Are these Forerunner covers being done by 343's artists? They seriously blow away most of the past Halo art, I hope those types of environments are what we can expect from 4.

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:
the new xbox one? Nothing at all. It is a prep update for the new Dashbaord we get this Fall.

Yup the one that they keep making worse remember. I want my original dashboard back goddamn it.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
Yup the one that they keep making worse remember. I want my original dashboard back goddamn it.
The new Metro UI dashboard looks great though. Improvement over this current NXE crap.

wwm0nkey said:
Read The Fall of Reach and you will want to read the rest.
You know what i tell a lie, i read the one that supposedly connects CE with Halo 2.

That was enough to put me off the rest, i didn't think it could give a feel for the action very well.

The composition of the new cover looks similar to this piece from Sparth:

heh0A.jpg

Maybe it's just me.

I love the new cover so much I want to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

king picollo said:
Ah Halo books, that's a level of fanboi I'm yet to achieve.
I'd like to do an experiment.

Print out a copy of Halo: Cryptum with a cover that simply reads "Cryptum by Greg Bear". Change all instances of "Halo" to "Ringworld" or something.

Give the book to a science fiction fan that has never played Halo (I'm sure there are a few somewhere).

See if the fan can tell it's based on a video game franchise. My guess would be no.

The point I'm trying to make is that dismissing all of the Halo books as "video game novelizations" is unfair. Sure, some of them clearly are, but there's still a ton of good fiction to be found here.

MrBig

Sparth is a great artist, I love all of his work. He's one of the people that I'm currently drawing inspiration from.
ncsuDuncan said:
I'd like to do an experiment.

Print out a copy of Halo: Cryptum with a cover that simply reads "Cryptum by Greg Bear". Change all instances of "Halo" to "Ringworld" or something.

Give the book to a science fiction fan that has never played Halo (I'm sure there are a few somewhere).

See if the fan can tell it's based on a video game franchise. My guess would be no.

The point I'm trying to make is that dismissing all of the Halo books as "video game novelizations" is unfair. Sure, some of them clearly are, but there's still a ton of good fiction to be found here.
The Halo novels are great, far above any game universe stories I've ever read, but they can't be compared to the literary works of Niven.

BigShow36

Steelyuhas said:
After playing Classic the other day for the first time in a while, I have no interest in sprint for Halo 4. That movement feels so smooth. And don't give us that Halo 3 bullshit walking around 2 miles an hour, Halo 2 movement speeds or bust!

Any increase in movement speed must have a corresponding increasing in movement acceleration to feel right (I'm sure you know this, just pointing it out). Obviously Halo games need faster base movement speed than the garbage we got for Halo 3 and Reach, but it also needs much crisper strafing.

If 343 fails and doesn't make faster default movement speed and strafe acceleration, at the very least the strafe acceleration needs to be tied to movement speed in the custom options (meaning any increase in speed will not result in "ice skating").

MrBig said:
The Halo novels are great, far above any game universe stories I've ever read, but they can't be compared to the literary works of Niven.
I wasn't trying to compare Cryptum to Ringworld, I was just saying that it might help for the little experiment if all mentions of the capitalized "Halo" were removed.

Maybe just changing them to the lowercase "halo" would be enough.

I was just trying to make the point that if you strip Cryptum of its Halo references it would still stand as an acceptable science fiction novel. As much as I love The Fall of Reach, I don't think it would work as well for the reader without an existing interest in the games.

Top Bottom