• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

feel

squidhands said:
It turned me off to reading any more Halo fiction, actually. I'm probably alone in this, but I just didn't dig the writing style.

Also just tagged a couple of shots for Gabo's community photo. Choose either one.

Looking at all the tagged shots, this one jumped out at me:

axpdp.png
That's funny

OWV's edit too lol

edit- gabotron name change! nice

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
CEA should include a card for ALL Reach DLC. You download it and get whatever maps you're missing. Would this be possible?
Not at $40. That's leaving money on the table.

Unless an MS exec had a big, fat, permanent, contractually binding tattoo.

ncsuDuncan said:
Yep. I think tonight I'll try to type up my idea into a Misriah post (not a full article, it's just a crazy little DLC brainstorm).

DLC and playlist integration is a pretty complicated subject:
- First, it's a business. Developers deserve to be paid for the work they do to make maps. Microsoft has investors that want them to make money. This is reasonable.

- DLC owners deserve to play on the new maps they buy.

- Disc-only owners deserve to play on the maps they bought and in the game modes advertised on the box.

- DLC early adopters should be rewarded.

- DLC late adopters should not be punished (but it shouldn't be overly appealing to wait, either).​
One of the biggest problems I see right now is that you can buy the Defiant DLC without already having the Noble DLC. I have a friend who decided to do this for some ungodly reason. This problem only gets worse as you add more DLC packs.

The ODST Mythic disc was a good idea, but it was too little too late. Not to mention that package was pretty steep at $60 on top of whatever you paid for Halo 3 and the previous DLC.
If premium map packs are here to stay (which are a profitable but incredibly asinine development) then matchmaking NEEDS to have DLC filtering as part of the process. All playlists should be available to all players and not separated into DLC haves and have-not groupings. Players should be able to set maps and DLC as preferred in this process, and only content shared by all players in a lobby should be offered as choices.

If they're going to charge us for these packs, they should at least invest in the game's infrastructure to make sure they don't damage the experience and piss off players in the process.

senador

Banned
Duncan, are you thinking bundling of DLC? 1 cost, but a running bundle of maps...hmm that'd be neat.

A27 Tawpgun said:
CEA should include a card for ALL Reach DLC. You download it and get whatever maps you're missing. Would this be possible?

That wouldn't work I don't think or matter since the rest of the Reach maps aren't included. Right? I really wish CEA would just pull an ODST Mythic Disc.

FyreWulff

The issue is that even if the DLC is free, it screws over the Core users, which is why Halo 3: Mythic was a great release because it allowed 100% of Live-capable 360s to play DLC playlists. According to Bungie.net posts made by Shishka about a month after ODST and Mythic were released, a significant majority of the Halo 3 population was playing via Mythic. In fact, it was a big enough number that they made DLC optional in almost every playlist and it still came up about just as much.

Which is why I was somewhat disappointed that the Reach Classic maps are on the same disc as CE:A, so no Halo: Reach: Mythic means that 1) Core users are straight out of luck, and 2) The "All DLC" saturation can't hit the same levels as Mythic helped create, which would really make the DLC owner match algorithm in the Reach shine.

Also only buying Defiant does make a bit of sense to me as it seems to me that (I don't have access to the numbers, mind) a lot of Defiant users are Firefighting instead of Multiplayering, which explains why it's so much harder to see it without going into Premium lists. Maybe in hindsight, Unearthed should have been released by itself, or they should have made a 3-pack of Firefight maps. Unearthed comes up as an option in almost all of my Firefight games while searching alone.

I bet Spartan B.O is really potent. So potent, in fact, that it should be an Armor Ability. Everyone within a 10 foot radius is instantly stunned upon activation.

FyreWulff said:
The issue is that even if the DLC is free, it screws over the Core users
I think they screw themselves by not getting a hard drive. I don't think a concession that makes for an ultimately poorer experience needs to be made for part of the market that refuses to acquire something necessary to get the most out of their hardware. Just like all these games screw over Silver users by not allowing them to play online at all.

-Yeti said:
I bet Spartan B.O is really potent. So potent, in fact, that it should be an Armor Ability. Everyone within a 10 foot radius is instantly stunned upon activation.
The early astro/cosmonauts absolutely REEKED when they came back from space after just a week. I hope Febreeze helped donate to the Spartan program.

Trasher

-Yeti said:
Pestilence Armor Effect

Just another example of why I despise the Core/Arcade console bundle. (I'm less inclined to blame the people that actually bought them, they don't necessarily what is so bad about getting the cheaper version.)

I'm okay with multiple console bundles, but not in a way that creates such a huge division.

Super Xbox 720 Core
- 1 Wired Controller
- 40 GB hard drive (Large enough to handle at least a few digitally distributed games.)

Super Xbox 720 Pro
- 1 Wireless Controller
- 250 GB Hard drive
- 1 Wired Headset
- 6 Months of XBL

Or something like that.

A "cheap" version of the console is fine, so long as it has absolutely no effect on developers or other players. I wonder how different Halo 3 and Reach would be if Bungie had not been forced to make them work without a HD.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
Yep. I think tonight I'll try to type up my idea into a Misriah post (not a full article, it's just a crazy little DLC brainstorm).

DLC and playlist integration is a pretty complicated subject:
- First, it's a business. Developers deserve to be paid for the work they do to make maps. Microsoft has investors that want them to make money. This is reasonable.

- DLC owners deserve to play on the new maps they buy.

- Disc-only owners deserve to play on the maps they bought and in the game modes advertised on the box.

- DLC early adopters should be rewarded.

- DLC late adopters should not be punished (but it shouldn't be overly appealing to wait, either).​
One of the biggest problems I see right now is that you can buy the Defiant DLC without already having the Noble DLC. I have a friend who decided to do this for some ungodly reason. This problem only gets worse as you add more DLC packs.

The ODST Mythic disc was a good idea, but it was too little too late. Not to mention that package was pretty steep at $60 on top of whatever you paid for Halo 3 and the previous DLC.
One possible compromise would be to bundle the Noble and Defiant map packs together and offer them at a discount, say $10, around the time CEA hits. That way there are just two map packs out there, the CEA seven and the six previous. It would streamline the playlist structure modestly while incentivizing purchase of the older map packs, without cutting off the revenue stream they generate.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:
I think they screw themselves by not getting a hard drive. I don't think a concession that makes for an ultimately poorer experience needs to be made for part of the market that refuses to acquire something necessary to get the most out of their hardware. Just like all these games screw over Silver users by not allowing them to play online at all.

I think it's Microsoft's fault for releasing the SKU in the first place. It's easy to say "just get a hard drive" when you already have one, but it's kind of shitty to punish a customer for buying the "wrong" version of your console.

Besides the other problem where games can't use flash drives or internal flash as in HDD anyway. So even the new 4GB Slims are just as functional as a Memory Card'd Core for Reach/3 co-op and films and so on.

Which is why I wish they would have done a Reach: Mythic. Would have solved the DLC problem (again)

A27 Tawpgun said:

Was literally thinking the same thing.

Imagine a world...a world where everyone had the DLC...

ncsuDuncan said:
Just another example of why I despise the Core/Arcade console bundle. (I'm less inclined to blame the people that actually bought them, they don't necessarily what is so bad about getting the cheaper version.)

I'm okay with multiple console bundles, but not in a way that creates such a huge division.

Super Xbox 720 Core
- 1 Wired Controller
- 40 GB hard drive (Large enough to handle at least a few digitally distributed games.)

Super Xbox 720 Pro
- 1 Wireless Controller
- 250 GB Hard drive
- 1 Wired Headset
- 6 Months of XBL

Or something like that.

A "cheap" version of the console is fine, so long as it has absolutely no effect on developers or other players. I wonder how different Halo 3 and Reach would be if Bungie had not been forced to make them work without a HD.
I think for the Pro console, the HDD would need at least 1TB of space. Especially considering that the next gen Xbox won't be out for a few more years.

Sikamikanico said:
Imagine a world...a world where everyone had the DLC...

Or a world in which buying the Legendary/Mythic/Cucumber Edition of the game got you DLC at a discount/free.

Additional content: My god that CEA thread is just a wasteland of miserable internet types...present company excluded of course.

NullPointer said:
If premium map packs are here to stay (which are a profitable but incredibly asinine development) then matchmaking NEEDS to have DLC filtering as part of the process. All playlists should be available to all players and not separated into DLC haves and have-not groupings. Players should be able to set maps and DLC as preferred in this process, and only content shared by all players in a lobby should be offered as choices.

If they're going to charge us for these packs, they should at least invest in the game's infrastructure to make sure they don't damage the experience and piss off players in the process.

They really do. Call of Duty does this perfectly, but I don't see other game do DLC integration very well. Halo has had especially poor DLC integration, and that sadly did not change with Reach. But as DLC is apparently a matchmaking search filter, I am hoping for a search filter control as part of the TU (alongside skill, connection, and language). I understand that if that search filter for DLC was strong that it could lengthen search times, but at least let the player make that choice. I cannot recommend Reach DLC to people despite the fact that they are some of the better maps in the game, because you don't play the maps in matchmaking.

FyreWulff said:
I think it's Microsoft's fault for releasing the SKU in the first place. It's easy to say "just get a hard drive" when you already have one, but it's kind of shitty to punish a customer for buying the "wrong" version of your console.
Agreed, but ultimately you'd have to wonder what you're not getting in order to get a cheaper console. It's also shitty to punish the ones people buying the more expensive consoles too by using Core as a scapegoat, no?

But I think my Live comparison is valid in this case. You're opting to not get the full experience if you don't want to pay for it.

Ruze789

Gabotron ES said:
Yup! I'm a happy camper now.

59 entries so far!

Is this a community specific thing or are you looking for anyone?
I've been lurking on here for a year and a half and over on the Waypoint forum since it launched.

FyreWulff

Rickenslacker said:
Agreed, but ultimately you'd have to wonder what you're not getting in order to get a cheaper console. It's also shitty to punish the ones people buying the more expensive consoles too by using Core as a scapegoat, no?

But I think my Live comparison is valid in this case. You're opting to not get the full experience if you don't want to pay for it.

It's going to be really interesting for Bungie's next project if it's not an MMO, and you don't have to pay to play multiplayer on the PS3 and PC versions but have to for the Xbox version.

ncsuDuncan said:

Super Xbox 720 Core
- 1 Wired Controller

Super Xbox 720 Pro
- 1 Wireless Controller
- 250 GB Hard drive
- 1 Wired Headset
- 6 Months of XBL

Or something like that.

40gb is such a rip off

If the next Xbox really has digital distribution fully integrated, I would be upset if the "cheap" version had less than a 250Gb hard drive. I hope that the real version that everyone will buy has a 1TB hard drive.

MrBig

I'm doubting wired controllers will exist next console gen, for first party at least.

Those HDD estimates are way off though. Lowest would probably be 100gb, ranging up to a tb and cloud storage. There just so cheap now, especially at production level.

GhaleonEB

Gabotron ES said:
Yup! I'm a happy camper now.

59 entries so far!
What was the original request for content? Just a screenshot we'd like to contribute? I missed the initial request, but have an oldie from Reach in mind.

Ruze789 said:
Is this a community specific thing or are you looking for anyone?
I've been lurking on here for a year and a half and over on the Waypoint forum since it launched.
Everybody can participate, I already have submissions from Waypoint, GAF and Bungie.net...

Wizman23

Banned
I agree with it being in MS's best interest to try and get a download code for all of Reach MP or at least the two DLC's with the purchase of CEA. Halo MP will be an afterthought this Fall with Battlefield 3 and MW3 launching just a few weeks prior to CEA's release.

I wonder if a CEA purchase will guarantee an invite to the Halo 4 Beta next Spring/Summer. I can't imagine 343 not offering up a beta for their first major release. If there is a beta I'm already stocking up on popcorn for that thread.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
What was the original request for content? Just a screenshot we'd like to contribute? I missed the initial request, but have an oldie from Reach in mind.

A screenshot of your spartan from the waist up lowering their weapon with the tag photo11.

Examples

GhaleonEB said:

Dug said:
Erm, how do I participate in this?
Just so!

I didn't do the weapon-lowering glitch, but rather I snapped a pic as I was switching weapons

MrBig said:
I'm doubting wired controllers will exist next console gen, for first party at least.

Those HDD estimates are way off though. Lowest would probably be 100gb, ranging up to a tb and cloud storage. There just so cheap now, especially at production level.

That's why there shouldn't be an option to get one without a decent sized hard drive. They are dirt cheap.

Cloud storage is already coming to the 360 this fall, so we know that's in.

There are still some people that swear by the wired controllers, so I think MS will keep them as an option to buy, but I don't see wired controllers coming with any console, they don't come with them now.

Wizman23 said:
I agree with it being in MS's best interest to try and get a download code for all of Reach MP or at least the two DLC's with the purchase of CEA. Halo MP will be an afterthought this Fall with Battlefield 3 and MW3 launching just a few weeks prior to CEA's release.

I wonder if a CEA purchase will guarantee an invite to the Halo 4 Beta next Spring/Summer. I can't imagine 343 not offering up a beta for their first major release. If there is a beta I'm already stocking up on popcorn for that thread.

I'm excited for the TU, and the CEA maps, but yeah I'd be lying if I said that most of my fall gaming time won't be consumed by Battlefield 3 (along with Skyrim, and Assassins Creed).

I assume that CEA will give you a beta invite, or maybe the beta will just be open to everyone (BF3's will be in September). They HAVE to do a public beta for H4, it is pretty much a requirement for shooters these days.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
Just so!

I didn't do the weapon-lowering glitch, but rather I snapped a pic as I was switching weapons
Thanks.

-Only spartan models are allowed.
-Disable your armor effect before taking your photo.
-No objective holding, just your weapon and you
-One spartan per photo, if you want to appear near some of your folks notify it to me.
-You must appear lowering your weapon, if you don't know how watch this
-You can't appear holding a turret or an energy sword.
.....but nevermind. I don't have nor want to take a pic that meets that set of criteria. Sorry, Gabotron.

*facepalm*

I was just using current-gen numbers in my example.

I figure with Games on Demand being around 7 GB right now the minimum worthwhile HD size would be 40 GB. That would allow you around 4-5 GoD and still have room for DLC and gamesaves (which should always exist alongside cloud storage).

250 GB comes from the 360 Elite sitting under my TV.

I'm well aware that the Super Xbox 720™ will likely have a much bigger HD. Digitally distributed games will also take up more than 7 GB.

The point is that if there are multiple SKUs for the next Xbox they should be completely indistinguishable from a developer point of view.

If one consumer's HD fills up faster that doesn't really affect the game development process. I thought the whole point of consoles over PC was a single hardware profile to accomodate, but the 360 Core broke that up (although you could trace this epidemic back to things like the N64's Expansion Pack, but at least that wasn't a launch accessory).

Halo 5, HD required. Believe.

Mikasangelos said:
How soon does Waypoint post videos, one in question is "The Return". Supposed to be up today no?
Here you go.

My raging friend, Greg, and I had a conversation about this quote from the Greg Bear press release:

Greg Bear said:
“This is classic SF territory for me, and it’s a terrific opportunity to work with the 343 team, and to contribute through these books to both future games and the Halo universe in general
Nice.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
*facepalm*

I was just using current-gen numbers in my example.

I figure with Games on Demand being around 7 GB right now the minimum worthwhile HD size would be 40 GB. That would allow you around 4-5 GoD and still have room for DLC and gamesaves (which should always exist alongside cloud storage).

250 GB comes from the 360 Elite sitting under my TV.

I'm well aware that the Super Xbox 720™ will likely have a much bigger HD. Digitally distributed games will also take up more than 7 GB.

The point is that if there are multiple SKUs for the next Xbox they should be completely indistinguishable from a developer point of view.

If one consumer's HD fills up faster that doesn't really affect the game development process. I thought the whole point of consoles over PC was a single hardware profile to accomodate, but the 360 Core broke that up (although you could trace this epidemic back to things like the N64's Expansion Pack, but at least that wasn't a launch accessory).

Halo 5, HD required. Believe.

People should also remember that while HDDs seem cheap to buy, sometimes a hardware design is trashed because it cost 1$ too much.

This was the issue with the OXbox. The included HDDs were relatively expensive compared to the rest of the console. Eventually the small ~8GB or so HDDs themselves became more expensive over time to produce, so they started buying slightly larger ones and partitioning them down to 8GB for the system.

It was the main reason that the 360 had an HDD-less version, to save Microsoft money. But none of the 3 console makers saw digital releases taking off at launch; the original Blade interface was designed around the idea that there would be ~150 content items on the 360 marketplace.

Total.

Over the entire console lifespan.

MrBig

Also remember that the disc technology for the next xbox will be some form of the BD tech. Meaning with higher ranged audio, uncompressed textures, and expanded assets, games could take up 20-40 gb

Tawpgun

What I would give for a bigger HD ... I still have the 20 GB model. Right now I'm storing a lot of my shit in download history lol.

A27 Tawpgun said:
What I would give for a bigger HD ... I still have the 20 GB model. Right now I'm storing a lot of my shit in download history lol.

Yeah I was deleting content like mad before I finally got the new 360S. 250GB of sweet sweet space.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
I don't have nor want to take a pic that meets that set of criteria. Sorry, Gabotron.
In case you missed it, this is the previous one.
community.jpg

Finished it's supposed to be a pic of a bunch of Spartans posing close together for a photographer as a group, not an obvious shop of a bunch of spartans in the same area doing whatever they want with lighting hitting them all differently. As long as you take the pic in that spot so the lighting hits you the exact same way as the others, you give the appearance that you're posing and looking at the camera, and you don't point the gun at the photographer, you CAN get creative and unique. Some of the other criteria like no swords or turrets is because of how that would affect the work he would have to put into the positioning of the surrounding spartans and their illumination. I'm not putting pressure into you if you don't want to join on it, I'm just making sure you understand what's going on and don't end up feeling like you missed out when you see the awesome finished picture doing the rounds all over the place because you were misinformed.

darthbob

A27 Tawpgun said:
I just don't want to buy an old 250 gig if
when
my 360 will break. At that point I'll either get the 360S or depending on how far off nextbox is, buy a cheap 20 gig and ride it out.

You can use this drive in any 360. Easier to use in the S, for sure.

For original, you need the enclousure.

Butane123

vhfive said:
did the photo thing for you gabo
Yep, did one last night for him as well.

Might have to do my usual colors/spartan since I see from other photo11 entries that there is a startling lack of purple.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would do the photo thing but I don't want to be one of those guys all the way in the back and on top who have their heads cut off.

Top Bottom