• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

wwm0nkey

Better map design is a MUST, hell just get all the old people who worked on Halo 2 back together or something and have them make the maps lol

Actually isnt part of Certain Affinity also the same team that did most of the Halo 2 maps or am I mistaken?

My wish is that the reason all of the maps from halo 2 that were great were held back until the remake comes out where it will be included in the CE remake mappack thing.

I got a feeling! :)

:(

FyreWulff

Plywood said:
http://halowiki.net/p/Battle_Rifle_Bullet_Spread

H2 had no bullet spread, only host could really shoot crossmap on larger maps.

Yep.

kMDkN.jpg

halo2sniper.jpg

The sniper had more spread at great distance than the BR

Striker

Letters said:
But I don't remember outrage about this during Halo 2, what did it do to prevent easy 4shots from end to end of open maps? I didn't really play much BTB in Halo 2 MM to the point of meeting above average players often.
There was no outrage in my core group concerning the BR. It was such a consistent weapon and an oustanding choice for a mid-size map, and wasn't overly dominant in any of them. Maps like Colossus, Terminal, and Burial Mounds were absolutely perfect for it. It was a weapon that was absolutely necessary for a map like Coagulation, because while the map is large, it wasn't shooting players across the map with such general ease.

Reason the DMR impacts more distance is because it goes to 3x scope, and it has a strikingly long range, whereas the Halo 2 Battle Rifle was 2x zoom and had a limited range at a certain length. I think the length at max was, if I remember correctly: the middle section of Coagulation where the Needler spawns to the first entrance blue base. While that may seem too long for its own good, note that the person is moving from the distance and there is a much smaller frame of aim-assist and magnetism.

neoism

FyreWulff said:
Yep.
h2
The sniper had more spread at great distance than the BR
Man I hated that the reticules where sooo close to the gun. :/
vhfive said:
I hope we get the option to change the HUD to whatever color we want in Halo 4
I liek purple
best color evear

wwm0nkey

vhfive said:
I hope we get the option to change the HUD to whatever color we want in Halo 4
I liek purple
You know, that would be pretty awesome to be able to choose that option.

EDIT: Also I know I will be skinned for this but the only single idea that Halo should take from CoD and Crysis 2, is a final Kill Camera, those things are just fun as hell to watch.

wwm0nkey said:
So is the Halo Bulletin now moved to Wednesday and not Tuesday?
It never had real weekly release date. It ever came out on Wednesday or Tuesday. The last times it came out wednesday and I guess we can call Wednesday the Bulletin day :)

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
so i'm playing Halo 3 AND THERES NO BLOOM WTF
dat latency non-hitscan spread.

Seriously after playing Halo 3 after Reach I REALLY noticed how annoying the BR is and wondered how I never bitched about it before.

H2 BR/CE Pistol weapon or bust.

Deputy Moonman said:
Also, I remember in Halo1, 2, and 3, it was possible to react to being shot in the back and still sometimes come out alive. Reach really removed those kind of cool encounters with bloom.
Assuming they get the first shot mid range you can still turn around and beat them. But it comes down to a roll of the dice to see if Bloom will grant you the 5 shot. Such a good mechanic... It's fantastic for balancing further range combat, but ends up screwing over close to mid combat.

Speaking of, I told this to a few people but...

Out-DMRing doesn't exist anymore. Everytime I've "out-dmred' someone it was because of bloom. So I propose we call all clutch plays like that Out-Blooming or Out-lucking for more accuracy.

FyreWulff

Wait, what? If you pace your shots the bullet will go directly where you're aiming. No luck involved. The DMR is intentionally not supposed to be a close range weapon. If you're getting killed by an AR user when using a DMR it's because for some reason you're using a DMR at AR range. Shotgun > AR > Pistol > DMR for close range encounters. Sniper > DMR > Pistol > AR for long range.

Also, aim for body first, only pull up to head for the final shot. Body is a bigger target and you can pull the trigger a bit faster if you're aiming at it.

"You just got out-BR'd!" was also a silly phrase anyway. I'm glad it's dead. Because it was stupid. It reduces down to "I just killed you!". In a game about killing.

FyreWulff said:
"You just got out-BR'd!" was also a silly phrase anyway. I'm glad it's dead. Because it was stupid. It reduces down to "I just killed you!". In a game about killing.

Agreed. It's better to say "Get shit on!" "Get donged on" is also pretty good.

So if the DMR were to return, how about a BR with no scope. Make it less accurate than the old BR by a tad and have it be a meaty mid-range weapon.

Or is that crazy talk?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Demoncarnotaur said:
So if the DMR were to return, how about a BR with no scope. Make it less accurate than the old BR by a tad and have it be a meaty mid-range weapon.

Or is that crazy talk?

Does not compute.

Dani said:
Does not compute.

In my defense, I just woke up.

*edit* What I mean to say, is if we were not to get the BR, how about a stripped down spiritual successor? That is, if the DMR is still to hold the long range area.

Demoncarnotaur said:
In my defense, I just woke up.

*edit* What I mean to say, is if we were not to get the BR, how about a stripped down spiritual successor? That is, if the DMR is still to hold the long range area.

Possible since the DMR is supposed to fill the gap between a BR/AR and Sniper. A middle between the two would make sense if there was so many weapons.

It might be better to focus on the core of the game than all the extras just for maybe the next Halo until they really get their shit together, though.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Wait, what? If you pace your shots the bullet will go directly where you're aiming. No luck involved. The DMR is intentionally not supposed to be a close range weapon. If you're getting killed by an AR user when using a DMR it's because for some reason you're using a DMR at AR range. Shotgun > AR > Pistol > DMR for close range encounters. Sniper > DMR > Pistol > AR for long range.

Also, aim for body first, only pull up to head for the final shot. Body is a bigger target and you can pull the trigger a bit faster if you're aiming at it.

My point was if someone shoots me first I would need to spam in order to win. It isn't intended to be used at close but with spamming it easily is. And there's this gray area in close to mid where spamming vs pacing can go either way... And that's terrible for precision combat.

Out-BRing was used when you outskilled someone with the precision skill based weapon. Used ESPECIALLY when you are at a disadvantage and win. It basically says "I am better than you with the main weapon of the game."

In theory Master Chief can only have the weapons he brings with him or the weapons he finds.

If of course 343 stick with the story.

The DMR was a Reach only thing so he shouldn't have that, he should have the BR and the human guns of Halo 3, with any new alien ones he should find. Unless of course there are humans on wherever he is landing, which maybe the case of course.

FyreWulff

king picollo said:
In theory Master Chief can only have the weapons he brings with him or the weapons he finds.

The DMR was a Reach only thing so he shouldn't have that, he should have the BR and the human guns of Halo 3, with any new alien ones he should find. Unless of course there are humans on wherever he is landing, which maybe the case of course.

He's on a UNSC ship, the Deus Ex Gun Machining
a
. 343 has the canonical ability to bring back any weapon they want :p

Falt

king picollo said:

In theory, Forward Unto Dawn could be filled with all the weapons we know and love.

*sticks fingers in ears* lalalalalalala i'm not listening, he will have the BR, halo 3 human weapons and new fancy alien ones.

To be honest as long as he doesn't have armour lock and mini nuke grenades i'll be happy.

Im assuming we will be dealing with mostly new or revised weapons in Halo 4. I really wonder how people will react to that. I am open to it as long as some feel familiar. Also, multiplayer could always bring in some series trademarks.

FyreWulff said:
He's on a UNSC ship, the Deus Ex Gun Machining
a
. 343 has the canonical ability to bring back any weapon they want :p

I still say there is an engineer on board and worked with Cortana and tinkered on things. =P

Falt said:
In theory, Forward Unto Dawn could be filled with all the weapons we know and love.
plus the experimental Grenade Launcher-Spartan Laser hybrid that's tucked away in a hidden locker. It fires a grenade that explodes into a zillion laser beams which kills just about everything at once, including the user. Still needs work, but it looks cool as hell.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Then the Spirit of Fire will show up and crash land into the planet, giving Chief the ability to pilot a Cyclops mech.
I wonder if Spirit of Fire will ever cross into the main games. It was such a stupid ending to a stupid story.

Ololol discovery of forerunner shit and flood oloool stranded so it doesn't matter.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
I wonder if Spirit of Fire will ever cross into the main games. It was such a stupid ending to a stupid story.

Ololol discovery of forerunner shit and flood oloool stranded so it doesn't matter.

And then you killed Regret in Halo 2, so you couldn't interrogate him and find out about what happened! :D

They can explain them coming back at any time, really. From what I remember they're about 20 years out from UNSC space, and with Cyro they can slow the character aging to keep the Spartans and Anders/Captain Moustache. Can always speed them up with a captured Covie vessel, or the now friendly Elites going and recovering them. It's going to depend on how long Chief has been in cyro when he wakes up in Halo 4.

The interesting thing to bringing the SoF back is you have to come up with a believable way of convincing them that the UNSC and the Elites are now bros. ESPECIALLY if the one that goes and retrieves them is the Arbiter :3

Crucio

A man just got some notice from amazon that they don't know when the Bag O Swag will ship so they said my card as not charged. It wasn't, also I bought the Bungie Town poster, that also wasn't charged.
Since I'm in Canada I guess that they maybe having problems sorting out international orders... Oh god I hope they don't cancel it.

Did anyone get their Bags O Swag from the second waves yet?

Dug said:
Well, I ordered mine Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM EST and my status went to shipped yesterday. I dunno if that is second wave or not.
Well guess that means I wont be getting mine. Gah.

kylej

Banned
bagoswag.png

5 days remaining and already at those prices jesus christ. Really considering putting mine on eBay and donating the proceeds to Bungie's charity just to balance out these retards.

feel

Striker said:
There was no outrage in my core group concerning the BR. It was such a consistent weapon and an oustanding choice for a mid-size map, and wasn't overly dominant in any of them. Maps like Colossus, Terminal, and Burial Mounds were absolutely perfect for it. It was a weapon that was absolutely necessary for a map like Coagulation, because while the map is large, it wasn't shooting players across the map with such general ease.

Reason the DMR impacts more distance is because it goes to 3x scope, and it has a strikingly long range, whereas the Halo 2 Battle Rifle was 2x zoom and had a limited range at a certain length. I think the length at max was, if I remember correctly: the middle section of Coagulation where the Needler spawns to the first entrance blue base. While that may seem too long for its own good, note that the person is moving from the distance and there is a much smaller frame of aim-assist and magnetism.
Screw what I said before then, if it's not a problem at very long range I want that beautiful thing in H4.

edit- please Halo 2 btb gaf customs sometime kthxbai

Dug

Banned
Crucio said:
A man just got some notice from amazon that they don't know when the Bag O Swag will ship so they said my card as not charged. It wasn't, also I bought the Bungie Town poster, that also wasn't charged.
Since I'm in Canada I guess that they maybe having problems sorting out international orders... Oh god I hope they don't cancel it.

Did anyone get their Bags O Swag from the second waves yet?
Well, I ordered mine Thursday, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM EST and my status went to shipped yesterday. I dunno if that is second wave or not.

Tawpgun

kylej said:
bagoswag.png

5 days remaining and already at those prices jesus christ. Really considering putting mine on eBay and donating the proceeds to Bungie's charity just to balance out these retards.
Just take all the good stuff out. Sell it. Donate to Bungie Foundation or wherever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Falt said:

The Forward Unto Dawn is a giant military frigate. When we last saw him, Chief was in the aft 50% or so of the ship. You have to imagine there is at least one clip of ammo left. And it's a video game.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The Forward Unto Dawn is a giant military frigate. When we last saw him, Chief was in the aft 50% or so of the ship. You have to imagine there is at least one clip of ammo left. And it's a video game.
I don't think I'll be able to live through all of this teasing. Can't wait to see and hear about H4's AR. <3

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
1st mission scavenging for ammo and weapons aboard FUD confirmed.

Tunavi

Banned
king picollo said:
"Oh wow, so much time spent on the Forward unto Dawn and I never noticed this huge room full of grenade launchers!"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
OuterWorldVoice said:
Clearly you've thrown all logic and realism out of the window for this game, I don't even know what to think anymore.

feel

Tunavi said:
"Oh wow, so much time spent on the Forward unto Dawn and I never noticed this huge room full of grenade launchers!"
"WHOOPS! There goes my knowledge of how to hold two handguns at the same time, DARN NOT AGAIN! :( "

FyreWulff

I wouldn't say dual wielding is automatically gone at this point.

You could still make it work in the existing control scheme by only allowing DW with the same weapon (Have an SMG, walk over another SMG, "Hold X to Dual Wield SMGs"), which would also simplify balance. No need to nerf PR or PP so they aren't OP with certain weapons.

Heck, you could just do it with just the SMG and the PR. It's not like making certain weapons suddenly un-DWable from one game to the next (Needler H2 -> H3) hasn't been done before.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
He basically went from waking up straight into cryo. It's one of those things that's always bugged me about the Halo 3 ending: he never spends any time to get bearings on how much of the ship he's in, what kind of backup power it has, what it's equipped with, whether any of the ship is still holding a vacuum, etc. He just hops into bed, doesn't even say goodnight to the lady.

I assume we'll be using largely non-UNSC weapons since we won't be spending the entire game right around the FUD. Unless our crash landing conveniently litters the campaign with spare weapons and ammo.

Edit: it didn't come accross, but that last paragraph was sarcasm. I'm sure there will be a mix of weapons throughout the campaign.

Top Bottom