• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Karl2177

HiredN00bs said:
Why? Voice commands are non-intrusive.
Because I just want to play the damn game. The only time I would use that is if it's telling obnoxious Gravemind/Cortana interruptions to shut the hell up.

ElRenoRaven

Karl2177 said:
Because I just want to play the damn game. The only time I would use that is if it's telling obnoxious Gravemind/Cortana interruptions to shut the hell up.

You know that would be funny as hell. Chief Chief I think we.... AH SHUT UP CORTANA!!!!

Yeah I am kind of hoping for a almost entirely new sandbox, but it looks like were not going to get it.
This

We have already lost. Hype for Halo 4 dies as I see the impending third Halo game in a row with this garbage "AR starting weapon".

;(

In all seriousness, I hope we get some juicy Halo 4 at Halofest because I need to see it.

At least have the spread tighter so you actually have to aim.

Tawpgun

I wouldn't mind some human weapons brought back as fan service.

I'd love useful alien weapons though. No more shitty covy weapons. As long as I get a hitscan precision weapon, reskinned sniper, rockets, and shotgun.. Its all good. Add some innovative, unique weapons and all is good.

Karl2177 said:
But what if voice commands were things that enhanced the game but weren't necessary? Like Terminals. Or scanning in Metroid Prime. Open-world exploration via voice that occurs parallel to the game.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
I wouldn't mind some human weapons brought back as fan service.

I'd love useful alien weapons though. No more shitty covy weapons. As long as I get a hitscan precision weapon, reskinned sniper, rockets, and shotgun.. Its all good. Add some innovative, unique weapons and all is good.

You know the Covie weapons were based off of forerunner tech. So I could see some very similar to what we saw in the previous games. They would obviously look different and have small functional changes but I think we could see similar type weapons.

Course who knows. All said and done we haven't a clue where 343 is going to take Halo 4 yet. For all we know we could end up in some crazy time travel adventures with the chief for all we know. I could see it now. You know all those human weapons hidden around on Halo and during Halo 2. Chief traveled back and did that for himself. lol. The whole game could be Chief gathering weapons and picking the best spot to place them. lol

MrBig

These are some very weird reactions to Frankie's comment. If the entire sandbox was reinvented what would you get? You'd get everyone who's buying it because it says Halo on the box completely perplexed and ungrounded. You would have no ties to the universe and would be lost. This is a shooting game. You main form of interaction with the world is to shoot it. It's not a novel that you read.

You'll be starting off in the FUD and will venture out into the world with the weapons you have out and then expand the player out into the new sandbox.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
If its like h2 and 3 then the dual wielded weapons are useless by themselves. Single wielding is better.
If the past few games' starting weapons are anything to go by...

I would not be upset at a two weapon spawn if it consisted of: Pistol (similar to the Halo Reach beta) and a SMG styled gun, though if it's scoped ala ODST, it would become unscoped when dual wielded. I wouldn't go as far as making those weapons completely useless, but work decently enough to kill off enemies with lesser shields. I hated how Bungie destroyed the Plasma Rifles, and they had the Needler useless in Halo 2 and in Halo 3 you had no reason ever to pick up a Spiker or Magnum, even for dual wielding because they were so god-awfully weak. If it's balanced out enough, it can work. Dual wielding has been the best scenario for CQB against BR users in these games, because they had much faster kill times than the AR has had.

Trasher

HiredN00bs said:
But what if voice commands were things that enhanced the game but weren't necessary? Like Terminals. Or scanning in Metroid Prime. Open-world exploration via voice that occurs parallel to the game.
They are totally going to do this I bet. Damn Kinect... Now people are going to wonder why we keep screaming at our televisions to a blue woman that resides in our head.

HiredN00bs said:

I think squad commands are the only way to integrate voice into an FPS (that isn't an RPG with a dialogue tree). It lets you cut down on the number of phrases that need to be recognized (e.g. "move", "attack", etc.).

Mass Effect 3 looks like it might implement voice command well, but I don't really want that kind of gameplay in Halo, unless it was an spinoff for a different genre like Halo Wars.

"ALL UNITS."
"MOVE."
"ALL UNITS"
"ATTACK."
"ALL UNITS."
"MOVE."
"MOVE."
"MOVE."

MrBig said:
These are some very weird reactions to Frankie's comment. If the entire sandbox was reinvented what would you get? You'd get everyone who's buying it because it says Halo on the box completely perplexed and ungrounded. You would have no ties to the universe and would be lost. This is a shooting game. You main form of interaction with the world is to shoot it. It's not a novel that you read.

You'll be starting off in the FUD and will venture out into the world with the weapons you have out and then expand the player out into the new sandbox.

Yeah I realize that a total reinvention of the sandbox is a bit ridiculous, but if I fire up Halo 4 and they slap a H3/Reach AR in my hands after the first cutscene I'm gonna kill myself lol.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:

My guess is that the FUD will serve as some kind of hub. Otherwise how are you going to keep using human weapon/ammo throughout the game?

Of course I'm just shooting in the dark though.

vhfive

HiredN00bs said:
How exactly would that work. What would you say? "uh.. Cortana scan" sorrry but thats sounds fucking dumb. In Halo games you never tell Cortana what to do she tells you what to do. So there is no real voice commands you can give her. Here is another example of sweet voice recognition in Halo 4.
Cortana: "Chief the *redacted* is across the canyon in that bunker filled with bad guys."
Chief: "Thanks Cortana you're the best."
Cortana: "You're welcome"

KidA Seven said:
Would be funny if the new enemy sees MC with his AR and they piss themselves laughing.

"u serious dawg?!!"

Am I the only one that has always thought its hilarious that in the 26th century the standard issue rifle is an automatic rifle with 32, rounds, no scope, no range, and no accuracy. Gameplay is king, I just always thought it was funny though.

Plywood said:
My guess is that the FUD will serve as some kind of hub. Otherwise how are you going to keep using human weapon/ammo throughout the game?

Of course I'm just shooting in the dark though.
Gameplay is king. If they want to give you human weapons they will magically be there.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I realize that a total reinvention of the sandbox is a bit ridiculous, but if I fire up Halo 4 and they slap a H3/Reach AR in my hands after the first cutscene I'm gonna kill myself lol.

Why? It makes perfect sense. He left an AR next to the cryotube.

You start the game with an AR but you run out of ammo quickly and soon see some strange new alien weapon.

Eventually you come across the new pistol/grenade launcher thing.

Starting with the AR creates a connection to Halo 3 and gives players that familiar Master Chief feel at the beginning of a new trilogy. Then it goes crazy and throws new stuff at you.

This is all going to be moot when Master Chief takes control of that Forerunner planet and drives it by Earth to pick up a few weapons and vehicles he was missing.

GhaleonEB

Tunavi said:
I hope 343 realizes that AR starts are pointless.
It's the signiature weapon of the series, and I hope 343 recognizes that. I'd like to see a few staples carry over, such as the AR, sniper, rockets and shotty, with a new rifle among other additions, and a whole new sandbox of enemy weapons/vehicles. And the Warthog, of course. Wouldn't be Halo without it.

vhfive said:
How exactly would that work. What would you say? "uh.. Cortana scan" sorrry but thats sounds fucking dumb. In Halo games you never tell Cortana what to do she tells you what to do. So there is no real voice commands you can give her. Here is another example of sweet voice recognition in Halo 4.
Cortana: "Chief the *redacted* is across the canyon in that bunker filled with bad guys."
Chief: "Thanks Cortana you're the best."
Cortana: "You're welcome"
I'm sure you could build a game within the game that would be entertaining. You're being overly dismissive.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
It's the signiature weapon of the series, and I hope 343 recognizes that. I'd like to see a few staples carry over, such as the AR, sniper, rockets and shotty, with a new rifle and a whole new sandbox of enemy weapons/vehicles. And the Warthog, of course. Wouldn't be Halo without it.

That I think would be best. Keep the human sandbox and then create an all new Alien weapon set up. I know that would be hard to do. It might turn off some but with the Covenant out of the way it's really the logical thing to do.

Tunavi said:
I hope 343 realizes that AR starts are pointless.
It is just your opinion. Unfortunately I know a lot of person who likes AR starts.(Yeah I know there are crazy freaks) The best thing to solve is DMR/AR starts. The first weapon, when people think about Halo, is the AR. Live it. Endure it. I want only DMR/BR starts too. But the Assault Rifle is the Halo Weapon.

feel

GhaleonEB said:
It's the signiature weapon of the series, and I hope 343 recognizes that. I'd like to see a few staples carry over, such as the AR, sniper, rockets and shotty, with a new rifle among other additions, and a whole new sandbox of enemy weapons/vehicles. And the Warthog, of course. Wouldn't be Halo without it.
I agree. AR starts, BR a Y button press away, always.

you read his post wrong lol

ncsuDuncan said:

You start the game with an AR but you run out of ammo quickly and soon see some strange new alien weapon.

Eventually you come across the new pistol/grenade launcher thing.

Starting with the AR creates a connection to Halo 3 and gives players that familiar Master Chief feel at the beginning of a new trilogy. Then it goes crazy and throws new stuff at you.

This is all going to be moot when Master Chief takes control of that Forerunner planet and drives it by Earth to pick up a few weapons and vehicles he was missing.

Because the weapon is awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GhaleonEB said:
The pistol is the signature weapon of the series, and I hope 343 recognizes that. I'd like to see a few staples carry over, such as the pistol.

Fixed :p

Ruze789 said:
Frankie Save Him!!

It's true. I needz saving

Karl2177

Personally, I'm a fan of mixing up the way the sandbox works. I liked Halo 3's weapon set with a few minor tweaks from Reach and ODST.
-Halo 3 BR
-Halo 3 AR
-Halo 3 Carbine
-Halo 3 Sniper

-ODST SMG
-ODST Plasma Rifle

-Reach Beta Microwave gun
-Reach Beta Rocket
-Reach Pistol
-Reach Shotgun

-Any Plasma Pistol​

Then you can throw in your funky Needlers and Plasma Launchers and Swords and that crap. The core of the actual gunplay has been around stripping shields and killing health. It's a lot more apparent in Reach, because the kill times are slow and visible health. It's then about finding and using the right weapon in the right situation. For example the BR being the mid-long range weapon, while the AR functions as more of a close range weapon. I'm probably missing something on that list, but I'm gonna work on a graphic to better display what I'm getting at.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
GhaleonEB said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

The signature weapon was the Pistol which was replaced by the BR which was replaced by the DMR.
ncsuDuncan said:

Except the first gun Chief picked up in the trailer was a oneshot type of gun. ;)

Tunavi

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
It is just your opinion. Unfortunately I know a lot of person who likes AR starts.(Yeah I know there are crazy freaks) The best thing to solve is DMR/AR starts. The first weapon, when people think about Halo, is the AR. Live it. Endure it. I want only DMR/BR starts too. But the Assault Rifle is the Halo Weapon.
What's the point of AR starts if the good players just go for the DMR anyway? AR starts promotes spawn trapping, if you get your hands on the DMR, you now have a HUGE advantage over anyone else spawning on the map.

Karl2177 said:
Personally, I'm a fan of mixing up the way the sandbox works. I liked Halo 3's weapon set with a few minor tweaks from Reach and ODST.
-Halo 3 BR
-Halo 3 AR
-Halo 3 Carbine
-Halo 3 Sniper

-ODST SMG
-ODST Plasma Rifle

-Reach Beta Microwave gun
-Reach Beta Rocket
-Reach Pistol
-Reach Shotgun

-Any Plasma Pistol​

Then you can throw in your funky Needlers and Plasma Launchers and Swords and that crap. The core of the actual gunplay has been around stripping shields and killing health. It's a lot more apparent in Reach, because the kill times are slow and visible health. It's then about finding and using the right weapon in the right situation. For example the BR being the mid-long range weapon, while the AR functions as more of a close range weapon. I'm probably missing something on that list, but I'm gonna work on a graphic to better display what I'm getting at.

Whats the point of having the AR and SMG though?

Plywood said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IXCK1EyP4s

The signature weapon was the Pistol which was replaced by the BR which was replaced by the DMR.

Except the first gun Chief picked up in the trailer was a oneshot type of gun. ;)

Thank you.

Tunavi said:
What's the point of AR starts if the good players just go for the DMR anyway? AR starts promotes spawn trapping, if you get your hands on the DMR, you now have a HUGE advantage over anyone else spawning on the map.

There should be no AR vs. BR starts in Halo 4. It's not good for balancing the sandbox, and makes matchmaking a nightmare. A single precision starting weapon and perhaps a secondary automatic short range weapon.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hypertrooper said:
Wrong, it is the pistol everyone remembers the pistol from Halo 1.

And this is anecdotal but even casual fans I've talked to remember the pistol, it was way more powerful and entirely more iconic than the AR.

What is the first weapon you get in H1? The pistol. I rest my case.

GhaleonEB said:
no Falcon? :( that thing is beautiful

edit.
speaking of signature weapons, I see no pistol here :p
Portable-Halo-Combat-Evolved.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Kuroyume said:
s28iz9.gif

You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones? This will be the 6th Halo game (technically 7th if you count Anniversary) that fans will get their hands on. We've spent hundreds if not a thousand or more hours playing through these games with the old set. They're too damn boring now. I'm not even hating on this news specifically because of the AR. I just don't want to any use these same old weapons again. I could understand bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper back in some form but beyond that is just pushing it. Don't tell me that he has a bunch of gravity hammers and swords in the cargo too.

Yes. There are warthogs and tanks stocked within the sleeping quarters and kitchen of this ship.

How you came to the conclusion you just did, from what I just posted is like the checkmate in the boardgame of Jump To Conclusions. We have shown precisely one weapon. And it's new. So of the percentage of Halo 4 weapons you know about for sure, 100% of them are new.

I was simply explaining a logical piece of the puzzle. The Chief can HAVE weapons, because he is on a military Frigate.

BigShow36

Letters said:
Not that I particularly care about defending spread, but it seemed like a decent solution against people getting easy 4 shots across the map.

Or how about we just make it so you actually need to have some good aim and skill to land shots across map?

Ramirez

The AR could be salvaged into a nice weapon, reduce it's clip size by a large margin, make people aim it a little bit, and make it do more damage to the head on unshielded opponents. Worst case scenario, leave it how it is, but make burst firing matter more than anything.

^

7d5669cea351d57c30d90a81ca665bac.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:
How you came to the conclusion you just did, from what I just posted is like the checkmate in the boardgame of Jump To Conclusions. We have shown precisely one weapon. And it's new. So of the percentage of Halo 4 weapons you know about for sure, 100% of them are new.

I was simply explaining a logical piece of the puzzle. The Chief can HAVE weapons, because he is on a military Frigate.

Halo 4 100% all new weapons confirmed!

Is that jumping to conclusions?

Woorloog

Banned
Why not make AR the WEAPON? Up the rate of fire a bit and very quick recoil/bloom recovery.. and while burst firing (hell, why not add ROF selector? D-pads empty...), it could be capable of headshots, automatic wouldn't be.
A skilled user uses bursts and goes for headshots, or use full auto in chaotic situations where headshots are hard to pull of or not necessary.
Noobs go around using it full auto as always...
Pistol would be a single shot (headshotting weapon as always) with scope (how about 12round mag, 4 shots to kill, ROF a tad slower than HaloCE's pistol)
I'm not saying this is feasible, or even fun actually. It sounds good on paper, IMO, but we all know that doesn't mean it's good in practice.
It is sad that the iconic weapon of Halo is regarded as bad and/or noobs weapon.

i really like COD's 5/6 main weapons and "variants" of them more. Use a weapon you like, no forcing people to use weapons they don't like or can't use. And weapon customization is fun of course. Now i'm not saying Halo should copy that but i'd like to see similar things used in Halo 4

Karl2177

Steelyuhas said:
Whats the point of having the AR and SMG though?
SMG functions as a close-mid range weapon. AR functions as a close range. Pistol as mid range. BR as mid-long. Carbine(I guess the DMR fills the role better, but whatever) as long range. Then the Shotgun at extreme close and sniper at extreme long ranges. Rocket for anti-mass infantry/vehicles. Microwave gun for harassment and the plasmas for shield stripping.

Woorloog

Banned
Plywood said:
The AR is not the most iconic weapon.
Yeah, well, i ignore your claims that the pistol is. To me the AR is. Wouldn't mind having a BR with automatic fire option though, i like BR's looks more. A bit.

Ramirez

Only real solution to this problem is to have you spawn with both a close range and a long range weapon, it seems so obvious, so it will probably never happen.

Plywood said:
The AR is not the most iconic weapon.
In Halo multiplayer? Sure, the pistol, BR and DMR fit that role.

But as a universe? The Halo universe starring Master Chief and Cortana, forerunners and covenant and such? Its the AR, all the way. Along with the energy sword, warthog, and plasma grenades.

Top Bottom