• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB said:
He basically went from waking up straight into cryo. It's one of those things that's always bugged me about the Halo 3 ending: he never spends any time to get bearings on how much of the ship he's in, what kind of backup power it has, what it's equipped with, whether any of the ship is still holding a vacuum, etc. He just hops into bed, doesn't even say goodnight to the lady.

I assume we'll be using largely non-UNSC weapons since we won't be spending the entire game right around the FUD. Unless our crash landing conveniently litters the campaign with spare weapons and ammo.
Or... (or!) it's an open hub world centered around FUD.

I think it'd be cool if the first mission was playable in a God of War sort of way. I don't know the exact name, but I know in God of War 3 there was a point where you had (Icarus?)'s wings and flew up this huge shaft, dodging flaming/falling rocks and stuff. Maybe it could work like that and be a good way to introduce whatever that "jetpack" mechanic was?

Oh, and I think you guys are forgetting the possibility of weapon attachments. Maybe the DMR and the BR are going to end up being the same weapon! shyamalantwist.png

Maybe you unlock weapon attachments by finding them throughout the story? Considering the ship was getting ripped to all hell as it was flying in, maybe you crash-land on one side of the shield world thing and most of your weapons and stuff fell out along the way. Once you "unlock" one, you could have it be that weapon's attachment for you in multiplayer. Now that I think about it, scavenging the shield world for upgrades and attachments, eventually getting game-breaking Forerunner ones that are only usable in campaign (think Invincibility) and the like would actually be really fun for a Halo game and definitely give it that Metroid feel, given the lead designer and all.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
I wouldn't say dual wielding is automatically gone at this point.

You could still make it work in the existing control scheme by only allowing DW with the same weapon (Have an SMG, walk over another SMG, "Hold X to Dual Wield SMGs"), which would also simplify balance. No need to nerf PR or PP so they aren't OP with certain weapons.

Heck, you could just do it with just the SMG and the PR. It's not like making certain weapons suddenly un-DWable from one game to the next (Needler H2 -> H3) hasn't been done before.
Only way to make dual wielding balanced is to include the weapons in pairs. You can't pick up 1. When you pick it up its automatically dual wielded.

If its like h2 and 3 then the dual wielded weapons are useless by themselves. Single wielding is better.

...theres a hub idea that could work. You establish an HQ in the wreckage. The area around the wreck is big and you have to look for supplies. Then there would be key areas that would start missions. Would be a big departure from classic halo campaign

Fathead

GhaleonEB said:
He basically went from waking up straight into cryo. It's one of those things that's always bugged me about the Halo 3 ending: he never spends any time to get bearings on how much of the ship he's in, what kind of backup power it has, what it's equipped with, whether any of the ship is still holding a vacuum, etc. He just hops into bed, doesn't even say goodnight to the lady.

Totally true and I get the frustration, but that would have been a really boring cutscene to watch Chief figure out what the hell just happened

What about vehicles? are we likely to be tearing around in warthogs what are the chances a healthy supply of those survived?

Without a proper explanation constantly finding Human weapons and vehicles lying around is going to seem a little weird.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The Forward Unto Dawn is a giant military frigate. When we last saw him, Chief was in the aft 50% or so of the ship. You have to imagine there is at least one clip of ammo left. And it's a video game.
No toilet paper, though. First mission will involve hunting down some sort of wipe, while holding 'x' to clench buttocks.

GhaleonEB said:

I assume we'll be using largely non-UNSC weapons since we won't be spending the entire game right around the FUD. Unless our crash landing conveniently litters the campaign with spare weapons and ammo.
He's sleepy after the explosion, did you want him to stick around and cuddle?

GhaleonEB said:

tbh. if there is something on the Shield World/Planet/Creature(?), it could investigate the human weapons. 343i can spread the weapons on more levels.

Fathead said:
Totally true and I get the frustration, but that would have been a really boring cutscene to watch Chief figure out what the hell just happened
For all we know Cortana could have figured that all out by the time we faded back to the last cutscene anyways. We have no idea what she's been up to during his sleep (or even the timeskip from the ending cutscene to the legendary ending cutscene, for that matter), so there's plenty of room for explanation.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Only way to make dual wielding balanced is to include the weapons in pairs. You can't pick up 1. When you pick it up its automatically dual wielded.

If its like h2 and 3 then the dual wielded weapons are useless by themselves. Single wielding is better.

The only problem with that is how do you explain how a dropped pair of SMGs stay next to each other? Do they suddenly gain magnetism when dropped to each other? :p

Same-weapon only simplifies it, as Halo 2 and 3 simply halved the damage and accuracy (or thereabouts) when you DW'd two of the same weapon. In H4, you'd be trading accuracy for damage, and since it's same-weapon only you don't have to nerf/buff other weapons to account for all possible combinations, because there is only one possible combination.

The reason they were useless by themselves in 2 and most of them in 3 was to keep DWing from becoming OP for combos like SMG+PR (which is what damn near everyone was using before H2 1.1). Since you wouldn't have to worry about someone combining a projectile (HP) weapon with a plasma (or shield eater) weapon, you don't have to nerf either class.

And at the moment, I'd only want the SMG and the PR to be DWable. I probably wouldn't make the Pistol for future games DWable again.

GhaleonEB

Fathead said:
It could have been handled in a couple lines of dialog. Cortana no doubt was checking things out while the Chief was knocked out.

Chief: "What's our situation?"

Cortana: "It's just us and the cargo hold. We lost all navigation capability - we're dead in the water - and the rupture vented all atmosphere. In terms of power, we've got plenty of backup so long as we keep the lights out."

Then rewrite it so it's all pretty and stuff.

Hypertrooper said:
What does this mean? I read it as someone buzzing their lips together.
kylej said:
to be honest
Thanks. I've seen that all the time and never bothered to ask what it meant.

So I ordered a Bungie shirt and a Bag o' Swag on June 30th, Amazon says the shirt shipped on July 5th with a delivery estimate of July 8-13. Still don't have it and the Bag o' Swag still says "shipping soon". If the order ever gets filled, I probably won't get it until I'm an Inheritor.

When is Bungie gonna fix their broken storecode?

stephen08

Dear [stephen08]
We're writing about the marketplace order you placed on 6/30/2011 with Bungie Store. Unfortunately, Bungie Store has not confirmed the shipment of this order, and we are not able to provide you with shipment details yet. Because of this, your credit card has not been charged.

==================================================
ORDER DETAILS
==================================================

Order ID: [redacted]
Merchant name: Bungie Store
Item(s) to ship:
Name: Bag of Swag
Qty: 1 ASIN/ISBN: B0058UXOFU

If you would like to ask Bungie Store for more information about the status of this order, including the expected ship date, you may contact the merchant directly by replying to this e-mail message.

Thanks for shopping with us.

Amazon.com Customer Service
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone else who scored a Bag of Swag in the second run get this e-mail?

MrBig

HiredN00bs said:
So I ordered a Bungie shirt and a Bag o' Swag on June 30th, Amazon says the shirt shipped on July 5th with a delivery estimate of July 8-13. Still don't have it and the Bag o' Swag still says "shipping soon". If the order ever gets filled, I probably won't get it until I'm an Inheritor.

When is Bungie gonna fix their broken storecode?
I'm pretty sure the Bungie store is just a front for amazon, who have been having all sorts of backend issues with all the Bday stuff.

Since that contracted company let people order from them it threw everything off and they oversold.

Nutter

Ramirez said:
Bungie had to go to the nearest Target/Wal-Mart and buy you guys some action figures to put in the bags, give them time!
Yeah; The game has only been out for 10 months, give the.......... oh wait.

FyreWulff

No Live game data from the API. That site isn't doing anything automatically either.. you're basically just joining chat rooms that let the chat host tell you what map/gametype they're on.

For some reason I seem to remember Halocharts or someone else had a "custom games matcher" aswell.

Tunavi

Banned
MrBig said:
simple but it can be very effective if a lot of people start using it.

Does the Reach API allow you to pull info from live games or is it just the same data that is displayed on the stats page?
I believe its just people posting, then inviting each other. I dunno, I've got to try it out sometime. Still, the interface is great and its a good idea if people actually use it. Apparently it just launched yesterday

Crucio

stephen08 said:
I got it the same email unfortunately. Not sure what it means yet but some people who ordered on the same day did get a "confirmed shipped" notice.
Stephen are you in the US?

About Halo 4 weapons, and relating to what Frankie posted just now, its safe to think that FUD will crash land in the Shield World/Unknown Dyson Sphere type thing and spread a multitude of weapons across the land/where ever the portal leads.

Dug said:
I guess it's a friendly reminder?
I hope it means that "its gonna take a little while longer". I hope it doesn't mean "You're order is nullified".

Dug

Banned
Crucio said:
I got it the same email unfortunately. Not sure what it means yet but some people who ordered on the same day did get a "confirmed shipped" notice.
Stephen are you in the US?
I guess it's a friendly reminder?

feel

GhaleonEB said:

Edit: it didn't come accross, but that last paragraph was sarcasm. I'm sure there will be a mix of weapons throughout the campaign.
I hope I'm not ruining things for 343 over here buy I just thought of an idea that involves Master Chief freeing a huge family of these

2dbkl5u.jpg

from some top secret research deck on the F.U.D., that was sealed shut and forgotten after the shit hit the fan. After a daaaawww cutscene of them all surrounding the Chief for a group hug, you get the option during gameplay to do a distinct whistle sound and have one of them appear out of nowhere bringing a loaded Battle Rifle and a smile (they could use the face button freed up by the nuking of the Armor abilities for the whistling).

MrBig said:
I'm pretty sure the Bungie store is just a front for amazon, who have been having all sorts of backend issues with all the Bday stuff.

Since that contracted company let people order from them it threw everything off and they oversold.

Yeah, I know. I'll be very happy to just get a bag period, but I am disappointed it's taking so long to get the shirt. I mean, I know they're probably shipping it bare-bones USPS from WA to MD, but still, Amazon/Bungie shouldn't mark it shipped if it's not and/or they should have more realistic shipping estimates.

stephen08 said:

I also got that mail, Stephen. My guess is that it's automated from Amazon based on the time ordered and their estimates for shipment.

Sordid

I got that e-mail too, but a few folks (including Ghaleon I think?) got their Swag Bag delivered even though it wasn't marked as shipped. We can all hope!

Kuroyume

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
The Forward Unto Dawn is a giant military frigate. When we last saw him, Chief was in the aft 50% or so of the ship. You have to imagine there is at least one clip of ammo left. And it's a video game.

s28iz9.gif

You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones? This will be the 6th Halo game (technically 7th if you count Anniversary) that fans will get their hands on. We've spent hundreds if not a thousand or more hours playing through these games with the old set. They're too damn boring now. I'm not even hating on this news specifically because of the AR. I just don't want to any use these same old weapons again. I could understand bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper back in some form but beyond that is just pushing it. Don't tell me that he has a bunch of gravity hammers and swords in the cargo too.

king picollo said:
What about vehicles? are we likely to be tearing around in warthogs what are the chances a healthy supply of those survived?

Without a proper explanation constantly finding Human weapons and vehicles lying around is going to seem a little weird.

Yes. There are warthogs and tanks stocked within the sleeping quarters and kitchen of this ship.

ElRenoRaven

Kuroyume said:
s28iz9.gif

You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones? This will be the 6th Halo game (technically 7th if you count Anniversary) that fans will get their hands on. We've spent hundreds if not a thousand or more hours playing through these games with the old set. They're too damn boring now. I'm not even hating on this news specifically because of the AR. I just don't want to any use these same old weapons again. I could understand bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper back in some form but beyond that is just pushing it. Don't tell me that he has a bunch of gravity hammers and swords in the cargo too.

Yes. There are warthogs and tanks stocked within the sleeping quarters and kitchen of this ship.

Um you know that half the ship had cargo bays right? I don't know how you figure that it had the sleeping quarters and kitchens only in that half of the ship. Hell we jumped into the ship via a cargo bay. Odds are there are some armories in that half the ship too because those are usually spread out around the ship.

Your post really reminds me of something I'd read at Bungie.net

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Kuroyume said:
s28iz9.gif

You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones?

He says some ammo and you conclude that we'll get no new weapons and no changes to the sandbox? lol

The Warthog and Tank are a part of the ship. Chief also put away his AR right next to his cyro sleep tank in the Halo 3 ending.

feel

Wow, I want that custom games site to take off!!

Kuroyume said:
s28iz9.gif

You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones? This will be the 6th Halo game (technically 7th if you count Anniversary) that fans will get their hands on. We've spent hundreds if not a thousand or more hours playing through these games with the old set. They're too damn boring now. I'm not even hating on this news specifically because of the AR. I just don't want to any use these same old weapons again. I could understand bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper back in some form but beyond that is just pushing it. Don't tell me that he has a bunch of gravity hammers and swards in the cargo too.

The human staples will be there for sure along with the new weapons provided by the enemy, noone but you would want it any other way. I don't see how half of a UNSC frigate having a ton a human military hardware is so unlikely. You could even see vehicles tumbling around that loading bay in the H3 ending.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Domino Theory said:
He says some ammo and you conclude that we'll get no new weapons and no changes to the sandbox? lol

The Warthog and Tank are a part of the ship. Chief also put away his AR right next to his cyro sleep tank in the Halo 3 ending.
1Q7E6.jpg

Crucio

Sordid said:
I got that e-mail too, but a few folks (including Ghaleon I think?) got their Swag Bag delivered even though it wasn't marked as shipped. We can all hope!
But is GhaleonEB in the US? That would explain it. Please I hope Bungie/Amazon makes an effort to deliver to those who ordered internationally.

what about you Karl1227 are you in the US?

Kuroyume

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Um you know that half the ship had cargo bays right? I don't know how you figure that it had the sleeping quarters and kitchens only in that half of the ship. Hell we jumped into the ship via a cargo bay. Odds are there are some armories in that half the ship too because those are usually spread out around the ship.

Your post really reminds me of something I'd read at Bungie.net

Oh lord...

Kuroyume said:
You can not be serious. You guys have an opportunity to create a whole new suite of weapons and instead you're going to use some lame excuse to bring back some if not all of the old tired ones? This will be the 6th Halo game (technically 7th if you count Anniversary) that fans will get their hands on. We've spent hundreds if not a thousand or more hours playing through these games with the old set. They're too damn boring now. I'm not even hating on this news specifically because of the AR. I just don't want to any use these same old weapons again. I could understand bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper back in some form but beyond that is just pushing it. Don't tell me that he has a bunch of gravity hammers and swards in the cargo too.

"I don't want any of the old stuff, I want an entirely new suite without any Human weapons."

"Oh, but I'd be okay with bringing back the shotgun, rockets, and sniper."

Does not compute.

Woorloog

Banned
Pretty standard Halo day for me.
sigh
I'm among the top people of my team along with my friend (as guest, sometimes he had low score but then he uses EMP a lot and drives me around, support guy) and the rest are... well, bad. This one guy run 3 times in front of me after i threw a nade, hitting his back /facepalm. I get sniper and people try to betray me to get it. People leave the base in Assault and leave the bomb there. No defending. Etc.

And of course, the final game with my friend, in Squad Slayer. The 3 other players, a party, in my team quit, when the map/gametype ended up being Slayer DMRs in Boardwalk.
So it's 2vs5. Well, we fight and lead almost the whole game, winning with one point (35-34). Very sweet victory.

I'd love to play Halo for one day with competent people who put 100% in the game. I like winning but losing after a good, even match is fine too. But i don't get those.

BTW, my friend saw a dream that Halo 4 was a fun game. I hope his dream will come true.

Kuroyume said:

Yeah I am kind of hoping for a almost entirely new sandbox, but it looks like were not going to get it.

Plywood said:
We have already lost. Hype for Halo 4 dies as I see the impending third Halo game in a row with this garbage "AR starting weapon".

;(

In all seriousness, I hope we get some juicy Halo 4 at Halofest because I need to see it.

ElRenoRaven

NullPointer said:
This thread is hurting my head.

You're telling me. DURR the FUD was filled with only kitchens and the bathroomz. Nothing but razors for teh master chief!!!!!!! U SUX 343!!!! GAHHHHHH

Am I doing it right? lol

HiredN00bs said:
I haven't seen anyone mention talking to Cortana thru Kinect in Halo 4. Seems like an obvious idea, and a cool one.
Voice recognition? No thanks.

I would, however, enjoy a feature like this:
If you're playing campaign solo and wearing an Xbox headset, Cortana's voice clips are played through that speaker (as well as any other radio transmissions).

No mic use at all and obviously it wouldn't be used for online co-op, but I think it would be a neat detail.

HiredN00bs said:
Why? Voice commands are gimmicky.
The only voice-control that has ever felt natural to me has been voice search on my Android phone, and that's because it uses Google servers to interpret audio.

How would it work in Halo anyways? It seems like you'd be limited to a fairly confined script.

"Cortana, open the pod bay doors."
"I'm sorry, ncsuDuncan, I'm afraid I can't recognize that voice command."

Top Bottom