• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Woorloog

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Warthog with Needler cannon. Got it.
Can we get a Needle version of every weapon and vehicle? Banshee with Needlers and a Needle Bomb, tank with Needle Cannon, Needle Grenades etc?

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
Not bad but needs less laser. Also take out brute shot and replace SMG with Brute Spiker.
No laser, a BR with hitscan, and what's the use of a spiker? I imagine the Brutes are done. Or at least I freakin' hope.

Ken

Woorloog said:
I have to admit, i'd switch AR to ODST SMG any time. That weapon felt so damn nice.
ANd i think ODST pistol is my favorite pistol of Halo series too. Mmm, ODST Plasma Pistol overcharge+ M6C/SOCOM...
Fascinated by all the love for the ODST SMG. To me, I always preferred to keep the pistol with me and dropped or emptied the SMG ASAP. It's only purpose seemed to be Drone killing.

Also, the silencing of the weapons is a joke when there were no instances in the game where killing an enemy with the silenced weapons wouldn't alert others, at least no instances I ever encountered. Introducing scouting parties of grunts or lone Brutes (or even Skirmishers) that require quick and silent killing to prevent them from alerting a nearby group of Covenant would have been a good reason to keep at least one silenced weapon at all times.

Greatly increase the damage caused by the Covenant to a point where running in to a crowd of enemies will always send you to critical health or kill you even on normal to dissuade people from playing the game just like any other Halo game. When you can just run in and melee a Brute to death while soaking up a ton of plasma bolts from Grunts as an ODST, it takes away some of the excitement of doing the same as a fully armored Spartan. Instead, emphasize ranged combat which is what I think the addition of a scope on the SMG and pistol was an attempt at. Unfortunately they both put you at a medium range from the enemy and when they close in, the tendency is to move forward as well and resort to beat downs. ODST should have featured a new marksman weapon with or without a suppressor so the player has options at long range that aren't beam rifles or sniper rifles. The game could have differentiated the ODST character apart from a Spartan gameplay wise more if it had forced ODST players to pull back and look for cover to crouch behind and actually feel outnumbered and outgunned often, which is something I never felt throughout the entire ODST campaign. Instead, we just got a shieldless Spartan with a health buff.

Woorloog said:
Can we get a Needle version of every weapon and vehicle? Banshee with Needlers and a Needle Bomb, tank with Needle Cannon, Needle Grenades etc?

I'd be fine with this, but only for Multiplayer. We need to cause all the shenanigans that we can.

EDIT: Also, we need drivable mini-Scarabs and full-sized Scarabs for Multiplayer.

Woorloog

Banned
Ken said:
Fascinated by all the love for the ODST SMG. To me, I always preferred to keep the pistol with me and dropped or emptied the SMG ASAP. It's only purpose seemed to be Drone killing.
Also, the silencing of the weapons is a joke when there were no instances in the game where killing an enemy with the silenced weapons wouldn't alert others, at least no instances I ever encountered.

ODST silencers were just different sound effects. Halos don't have a suppressor mechanic.

Frankly, i felt more like a Spartan in ODST (especially in co-op) than in any other Halo. Silenced weapons, team work.. i don't like Nylunds Halo books much but didn't Blue Team work as team and use silenced weapons?

I wish Halo 4 offers similar urban environments as ODST, VISR mode (why doesn't MJOLNIR Mk VI have VISR mode? It was cool and useful), silenced weapons and good open areas (good for co-op IMO). Maybe i can finally feel being like a Spartan while playing as one.

EDIT forgot to quote Ken
EDIT2 derp, why didn't i quote him in edit mode?
EDIT3 done

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Only real solution to this problem is to have you spawn with both a close range and a long range weapon, it seems so obvious, so it will probably never happen.

It's going to be absolutely bizarre to have a company that doesn't defy logic at every opportunity run the playlists. Franklin save us from AAs and bad playlists.

Ken

Woorloog said:
ODST silencers were just different sound effects. Halos don't have a suppressor mechanic.

e
Then the point of silenced weapons was just a way to say "two new weapons you've never ever used before, buy buy buy?"

senador

Banned
I don't like voice controls. I mumble just enough that I have to change how I talk for voice control thingies to understand me.

Plus, when I am playing campaign, I probably don't want to talk to anyone, that's why I am playing campaign.

Ramirez said:
Only real solution to this problem is to have you spawn with both a close range and a long range weapon, it seems so obvious, so it will probably never happen.

shotty-sniper starts

Woorloog

Banned
Ken said:
Then the point of silenced weapons was just a way to say "two new weapons you've never ever used before, buy buy buy?"
Uh, yes? But ODST is not about only two new weapons (variants). Different mood and style, different characters, different music. A different take on Halo.
Suppressed weapons have a different sound which is important for generating that different mood. IMO. And arguably picking up something else sort of breaks that mood...

SMG felt nice but it was a tad useles in ODST. Grunts and jackals were easier to drop with the pistol, Brutes needed 'nades or a plasma rifle or an EMP. If the SMG had been almost as good vs shields as the plasma rifle...

EDIT, i'm 100% sure the silencers didn't have any effect on the weapons other than the sound. I shot a suppressed weapon close to a sleeping enemy (aimed up) and the enemy woke. In other games with suppressors, the enemies usually don't react to suppressors in any way (unless you hit someone).
EDIT2, of course there's melee... it IS silent, sleeping enemies don't wake up while meleeing their friends.

Ken

Woorloog said:
Uh, yes? But ODST is not about only two new weapons (variants). Different mood and style, different characters, different music. A different take on Halo.
Suppressed weapons have a different sound which is important for generating that different mood. IMO. And arguably picking up something else sort of breaks that mood...

Too bad the game play was the same Halo from before which broke whatever mood suppressed weapons were supposed to impart upon me.

Woorloog said:
EDIT, i'm 100% sure the silencers didn't have any effect on the weapons other than the sound. I shot a suppressed weapon close to a sleeping enemy (aimed up) and the enemy woke. In other games with suppressors, the enemies usually don't react to suppressors in any way.

You realize sound suppressors don't reduce the sound of firing to 0 right. Firing a suppressed weapon close to a sleeping enemy should wake them up. On the other hand, firing a suppressed pistol and alerting enemies a hundred feet away shouldn't happen

Woorloog

Banned
Ken said:
Too bad the game play was the same Halo from before which broke whatever mood suppressed weapons were supposed to impart upon me.
How you approach ODST affects that i think. I played more carefully and slowly, used more cover and thought how i approach and attack the enemy position.
And now that i know ODST well, i tend to play it like any other Halo, and it doesn't feel that special.
I think Halo franchise needs a true ODST game. A bit like Rainbow Six (well the earlier ones anyway, i haven't played Vegas) or Ghost Recon. Stealth, planning and team work. Third or first person? Dunno.

Ken said:
You realize sound suppressors don't reduce the sound of firing to 0 right. Firing a suppressed weapon close to a sleeping enemy should wake them up. On the other hand, firing a suppressed pistol and alerting enemies a hundred feet away shouldn't happen
Yes, though most games make weapons work like they had no sound while suppressed. ODST silencers don't work at all, even at range as you say.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
I think the most telling thing will be whether or not the game ships with Snipers and Swat as there own play list from the start or if they're plopped in with the rest of Team Slayer.

Woorloog

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
That sounds incredibly badass!
I think Halo Custom edition had a custom map called "Needleo-city" It had a needle shotty, a needle rocket launcher, needle grenades... but not much else.

stephen08

Steelyuhas said:
That sounds incredibly badass!

Definitely. I wanted to play it so bad but I never wanted to mod my Xbox.

h2ce.jpg

Link to the website.
Link to thread with more details about changes.

ElRenoRaven

stephen08 said:
Definitely. I wanted to play it so bad but I never wanted to mod my Xbox.

http://halo2-ce.webs.com/h2ce.jpg[IMG]
[URL="http://www.freewebs.com/halo2-ce/"]Link to the website.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.encyde.se/forum/index.php?topic=122.0"]Link to thread with more details about changes.[/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow. That's cool as hell. Only a couple of things I didn't agree with in videos I saw. First was the ability to grab weapons through walls. That is just a no no. the second was the AR. It's the BR skin slightly modified. That's just not good looking. However the rest would have made Halo 2 perfect.

Tunavi

Banned
The only significant bug we’ve ran into so far was in one iteration where, when the Grunt exploded, it also sent a lit plasma grenade straight up into the air. Several stories into the air, in fact. Players would take out a group of Grunts, but not notice the little blue love parcels being launched as they were focused on combat. We found players would clear a group of Grunts, and move in to deal with the next group, only to be rained on by explosive plasma. Hilarious to watch, but the additional treachery was not intentional."
Why did this not happen.
I’m still not allowed to divulge any details (since the information is being shared at Halo Fest), but I’ve been trying to sneak some subtle hints into the Bulletins. I must tell you, though, last week’s clue went completely undetected. I didn’t see a single peep about it on the forums or social networks. Son, I am disappoint.
FIND THIS CLUE NOW GO GO GO

ElRenoRaven

There once was a Grunt from Nantucket
Who told Master Chief he could suck it.
He then tried to scurry
Away in a hurry
Only to hear Chief say, "I stuck it!"

ROFLMAO BS Angel always makes me laugh my ass off.

Tunavi

Banned
Image7.jpg

sword in the bottom right.
SWORD BLOCK IS BEING REMOVED?

this is probably it, theres no reason for that sword to randomly be there otherwise.

Tunavi said:
Image7.jpg

this is probably it, theres no reason for that sword to randomly be there otherwise.

Good eye. I stared at that picture for a couple of minutes and didn't notice the sword sitting there haha.

Picture from today: AR, Pistol, Grenades all seeing changes? And skull?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
http://halo.xbox.com/Content/assets/en-us/blog/TheHaloBulletin/7.13.11/Image7.jpg[IMG]

this is probably it, theres no reason for that sword to randomly be there otherwise.[/QUOTE]
I noticed the sword but didn't think about that. Nice.

Kibbles

I kind of wish they werent hyping up the title update so much :/ I'm excited for it, but every week my speculation gets wilder. This better be pretty meaty...

ElRenoRaven

Kibbles said:
I kind of wish they werent hyping up the title update so much :/ I'm excited for it, but every week my speculation gets wilder. This better be pretty meaty...

I'm with you there. I'm pretty much ignoring it because the Halo community here has a habit of building up expectations for things. Then when they don't turn out the way we want we get very bitter. I myself am expecting the update to actually add more bloom and bring the sword back to Halo 2 levels of bullshitedness. All this while adding more bloom to vehicles. lol With these expectations any minor changes will make me a happy camper.

Top Bottom