• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

ncsuDuncan said:
And now, for something completely different:
Ghaleon, any thoughts on the Halo Bulletin's talk about skulls? It sounds like we won't be getting Grunt Birthday Party or any skull that changes the AI code (whatever that means).
I think we're still getting Grunt Birthday Party. I don't believe it directly affects the AI, as it's a death modifier.

From the Bulletin:

As such, we cut the skull, and found ourselves left with a hole in our lineup, and a desire to mess with the Grunts beyond just Birthday Party.
--------
Hypertrooper said:
Edit: The dude, who is back from the Halo break, was faster than me. :/
Haha. I need to ease back into it still. I've been enjoying the freedom of not thinking about Halo 24/7.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FyreWulff said:
The Halo 3 sniper was hard to use? You didn't even need to lead it. It shot exactly where you pointed at, instantly, across the entire map.

8EuDn.jpg

stephen08

Domino Theory said:
LMAO @ using your own playtime as evidence.

Ramirez brought up this notion with Dani. I shouldn't see why anecdote is worth more than another.

As for bloom, I absolutely love the mechanic. Pacing out your shots with a DMR and beating someone who is spamming or killing some guy across the map just makes it such a fun weapon to use. I think it just needs to be refined really. Maybe some algorithm that pushes bullets to the edge of the reticule and discounts headshots at max firing rate?

ncsuDuncan said:
Bloom Debate:
- I like bloom. Pacing your shots is a neat mechanic.
- I don't like giving the go-to mid-range precision weapon bloom.

Sandbox brainstorming:
AR
- Increase magazine size.
- Change bloom to expand slightly faster, but also change it to decay MUCH faster (to encourage pulsing the trigger).
DMR
- Change it into a long-range weapon, closer to the sniper rifle and no longer a spawn weapon.
- Increase scope magnification (to 4x maybe?)
- Bloom and magazine size remain unchanged.
- Treat it like a minor power weapon.
Pistol
- No bloom, no zoom. Fixed ROF.
- Unchanged damage and magazine size.
BR
- Halo 3 BR with hitscan. 2x zoom, spread, no bloom, fixed ROF.

You spawn with
BR/AR (by default),
AR/Pistol (for super casual gametypes only),
or BR/Pistol (Pro gametypes).

You never spawn with a DMR by default, it is pickup only and somewhat rare. It's the sniper-lite.
Long range: DMR>BR>>Pistol>AR
Mid-range: BR>DMR=AR>Pistol
Short range: AR>BR>Pistol>>DMR
I like every idea. Everytime I read a post by you, I can say: Oh yeah That is an amazing post.

ncsuDuncan said:
Ghaleon, any thoughts on the Halo Bulletin's talk about skulls? It sounds like we won't be getting Grunt Birthday Party or any skull that changes the AI code (whatever that means).
Why not? The Grunt Birthday Party skull doesn't change any AI behaviours? It is comparable with the Pre-order skull.

Edit.: The dude, who is back from the Halo break, was faster than me. :/

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Sniper Rifle: #4 ToD in Halo 3

Sniper Rifle: #12 ToD in Reach

Clearly they made it easier to use.
Sniper Rifle: #23 ToD in Halo 3.

Sniper Rifle: #10 ToD in Reach.

Anecdotal evidence is flawed as play sytles and frequency of use varies between games. But I can tell you that the very first time I ever picked up a sniper rifle in Reach, I headshot the gunner out of a moving Warthog from across Hemhorrage. I've never done anything like that in the entire series prior. I regularly pick up the Sniper Rifle and wreak people with it, even earning sniper sprees. And I've always, always, always been a horrible sniper in Halo. Between my own experience and the mention that the sniper rifle was going to be "dummy proofed" post beta in Bungie's podcast, I'm convinced it's much easier to use. I am that dummy, and it passes my test.

Woorloog said:
Anyone here going to get this? http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/dk-publishes-halo-the-essential-visual-guide/116538

I was planning on getting it, the upcoming art book, Glasslands and Halo Encyclopedia (will that ever get a second, corrected edition?) this at some point this Fall.

I have no idea why i'm going to this
I have the Essential Visual guide. It is a very neat book and you can get it for a few bucks. So it is definitely worth it. Mr. vociferous did an amazing work.

Kuroyume

Banned
Terrible ideas ncsuDuncan

Bungie calibre terrible ideas

Increase the magazine size of the AR and not nerf

And then remove the scope on the pistol and not change either the damage or magazine size.

WTF

feel

Can't wait for the first Halo 4 ingame gameplay video with hud. The reticule behavior after the first trigger pull will make me tear up either way. I hate bloom with a passion. *goes watch the CEA clip for some hope*

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GhaleonEB said:
Sniper Rifle: #23 ToD in Halo 3.

Sniper Rifle: #10 ToD in Reach.

Anecdotal evidence is flawed as play sytles and frequency of use varies between games. But I can tell you that the very first time I ever picked up a sniper rifle in Reach, I headshot the gunner out of a moving Warthog from across Hemhorrage. I've never done anything like that in the entire series prior. I regularly pick up the Sniper Rifle and wreak people with it, even earning sniper sprees. And I've always, always, always been a horrible sniper in Halo. Between my own experience and the mention that the sniper rifle was going to be "dummy proofed" post beta in Bungie's podcast, I'm convinced it's much easier to use. I am that dummy, and it passes my test.

Me too. Halo CE - easy. Halo 2, easy. Halo 3, BRUTAL HARD PLEASE TAKE IT FROM ME!!!! halo Reach, bit easier.

ncsuDuncan said:
Bloom Debate:
- I like bloom. Pacing your shots is a neat mechanic.
- I don't like giving the go-to mid-range precision weapon bloom.

Sandbox brainstorming:
AR
- Increase magazine size.
- Change bloom to expand slightly faster, but also change it to decay MUCH faster (to encourage pulsing the trigger).
DMR
- Change it into a long-range weapon, closer to the sniper rifle and no longer a spawn weapon.
- Increase scope magnification (to 4x maybe?)
- Bloom and magazine size remain unchanged.
- Treat it like a minor power weapon.
Pistol
- No bloom, no zoom. Fixed ROF.
- Unchanged damage and magazine size.
BR
- Halo 3 BR with hitscan. 2x zoom, spread, no bloom, fixed ROF.

You spawn with
BR/AR (by default),
AR/Pistol (for super casual gametypes only),
or BR/Pistol (Pro gametypes).

You never spawn with a DMR by default, it is pickup only and somewhat rare. It's the sniper-lite.
Long range: DMR>BR>>Pistol>AR
Mid-range: BR>DMR=AR>Pistol
Short range: AR>BR>Pistol>>DMR

Really not much point to the pistol with that though. Keep just the pistol (with the functionality of the BR) or BR for the mid range starting weapon. Pistol is the obvious choice because its way more awesome than the BR :p

OuterWorldVoice said:
Me too. Halo CE - easy. Halo 2, easy. Halo 3, BRUTAL HARD PLEASE TAKE IT FROM ME!!!! halo Reach, bit easier.

Pretty much how I feel as well, except I think the CE sniper is harder to use than the H2 or Reach one.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm confused by the bulletin.

It says this:

A lot of skulls in Halos 3 through Reach functioned through changing character behaviors for AI, or replacing AI units with tougher versions. We were deathly afraid that any change to the game that involved mucking around with the AI might in some way affect the AI itself.​

Which I took as a signal that they were going for more "cosmetic" skulls, rather than difficulty modifying.

And then it said this:

I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that there are skulls in Halo: Anniversary. I can say, however, that we would never bring back your favorites without adding a few to the mix.​

Bring back our favorites? Many of the primary skulls affected the enemy (Catch, Thunderstorm, Mythic).

So I have basically two lists in mind. One is a list of skulls I've wanted to see since Halo 3, and the other is a set that works around the AI without directly modifying how they behave or what their capabilities are. I'm not sure what the limitations are.

FyreWulff

HiredN00bs said:
That's weird. Yeah, I recall playing with the weapons at one time, it didn't occur to me to think that moving would reduce the recoil.

Oh shit, I just discovered something. It seems my love for Legacy sticks might have actually made the sniper rifle easier to use.

So, the Halo 3 recoil is nullified by movement, right? Right. I noticed something about this just now by changing the control schemes.

Legacy stick users (well, at least me) turn corners different than default stick users. I notice when I watch default stickers turn corners, they just turn their right stick - the aiming stick - to the left or right sharply, like they're using a mouse, to look in the new direction.

When I turn a corner using Legacy, I really can't do that, because my turning is on my left stick, which is also the stick i need to move forward. If I tried to do the sharp turn, I'd stop moving forward. So when I turn corners, I actually strafe into them - a left turn is me pushing the left stick up and left, and pushing the right stick right.

It appears that Legacy, being split sticks, generates so much movement data (I am constantly pushing each stick in at least two simultaneous directions at any time when trying to kill a moving target, especially in a sniper battle), that I may actually have been 100% nullifying any engine attempt at recoil during my entire Halo 3 career, and didn't know it. Testing now with default sticks, the sniper is really all over the place for me. It's like a whole different weapon.

Now, here's the twist. In Halo 3, you can strafe run (like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark) with any 3rd person weapon or turret with Legacy at full speed. Push up on the left stick and push right or left on the other stick, and you'll run at full speed with a turret, missile pod, or flamethrower.

They fixed that bug for Reach. You can no longer strafe run with a turret or a core. And Legacy acts just like Default sticks for firing and aiming the sniper rifle.

It clearly fucking explains why I'm so good with it in 3 but in Reach it's like I'm better off suiciding with a grenade so someone else can pick it up.

tl;dr The sniper rifle IS harder to use in 3
as long as you aren't using Legacy

My bad, HaloGAF.

My bad.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Same here. I actually go for the sniper now in Reach, where I felt I was so terrible with it in H3 that I'd throw a party when I'd 2-shot someone with it. :-(

kylej

Banned
*finds enemy*

*both pace off 4 shots*

*bloom now too large for final shot kill*

*begin jumping and spamming to try to get lucky headshot while other person times their DMR, or flip a coin and hope your spam beats his*

*Reach latency system gives both people headshots after spamming*

*jump off bridge*

My dream starting weapon(s) for Halo 4.

Pistol (2x scope, single shot, 12 rounds per clip)
AR/SMG secondary (close range weapon, secondary to Pistol, think CE AR role)

That would be the only starting weapon set. No BR, no DMR. Build your sandbox around that starting set. Profit.

Karl2177

That type of anecdotal evidence is useless. If you guys really want to check your sniper efficiency just divide your sniper headshots by the sniper kills.

Code:
[U]Halo 3:[/U]
[INDENT]Sniper Kills: 2570
Sniper headshots: 1340
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 52.14%[/INDENT]

[U]Halo Reach:[/U]
[INDENT]Sniper Kills: 1462
Sniper headshots: 980
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 67.03%[/INDENT]

Falt said:
Out of interest, what is everyone's K/D spread with the AR (competive)?
+25

Nutter

Sniping in Reach is easier because of the lower base speed your opponents move at.

My personal experience on it has been that Halo 3 sniper was harder to use.

stephen08

Do we know yet what is going to happen to the supplementary features of Halo games once the handoff is made from Bungie to 343? Things like stat tracking and Bungie Pro Video I am curious to see what happens.

Falt said:

Currently rocking,

Falt

Currently rocking,

stephen08 said:

Jesus wept... games played might also be an interesting factoid!

Nutter said:
Sniping in Reach is easier because of the lower base speed your opponents move at.

My personal experience on it has been that Halo 3 sniper was harder to use.
I'd have to agree with this reasoning. So many factors at play such as the lack of a proper strafing speed means players are at a dead stand still when trying to avoid Snipers head on.

stephen08

So the visual guide is going to be primarily in game assets where the upcoming artbook is going to be concept art? Is that the distinction?

Falt said:

Currently rocking,

Jesus wept... games played might also be an interesting factoid!
+42 (302 kills), with 322 competitive games played.

...I'm not proud.

Hey You

stephen08 said:
Do we know yet what is going to happen to the supplementary features of Halo games once the handoff is made from Bungie to 343? Things like stat tracking and Bungie Pro Video I am curious to see what happens.

Well according to n Bungie employee, Bungie Pro will remain for a year after MS takes over.

vhfive

wait does fyrewolf actually think that the sniper is easier in 3 than Reach. LAWLZ

and since people were doing this the sniper is my #2 tod in Reach and #3 in Halo 3

also -228

Hitmonchan107 said:
I think we're still getting Grunt Birthday Party. I don't believe it directly affects the AI, as it's a death modifier.
I'm talking about two different things in that sentence, sorry.
- It sounded to me like we aren't getting Grunt Birthday Party back. Sort of a "we didn't want to just copy Bungie, so instead of Birthday Party we added Funeral."
- It sounds like we won't get skulls that affect AI, like maybe Catch is out (see Ghaleon's post above).

Steelyuhas said:
Really not much point to the pistol with that though. Keep just the pistol (with the functionality of the BR) or BR for the mid range starting weapon. Pistol is the obvious choice because its way more awesome than the BR :p

Did you see the part where I said BR/AR start would be default? You're right, having the Reach Pistol and the Halo 3 BR in the same sandbox would be a little redundant. So I kept the BR and turned the pistol into something else: a weapon that lets you get headshots within the rare gametypes designed for AR use. It's inferior to the BR in every way, and inferior to the AR in all situations except for those where the shield has already been stripped. To beat an AR with the pistol you have to use melee or grenades to strip shields and then go for the headshot.

PNut

Banned
-299 with the AR in 1,111 Competitive games. I use it sometimes when my teammates have a guy cornered on Sword Base or Countdown.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm talking about two different things in that sentence, sorry.
- It sounded to me like we aren't getting Grunt Birthday Party back. Sort of a "we didn't want to just copy Bungie, so instead of Birthday Party we added Funeral."
- It sounds like we won't get skulls that affect AI, like maybe Catch is out (see Ghaleon's post above).

Did you see the part where I said BR/AR start would be default? You're right, having the Reach Pistol and the Halo 3 BR in the same sandbox would be a little redundant. So I kept the BR and turned the pistol into something else: a weapon that lets you get headshots within the rare gametypes designed for AR use. It's inferior to the BR in every way, and inferior to the AR in all situations except for those where the shield has already been stripped. To beat an AR with the pistol you have to use melee or grenades to strip shields and then go for the headshot.

Depends on which version of Catch they'd want to use. Halo 2 Catch made every enemy drop 2 plasma grenades upon death, which shouldn't affect AI

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
Ramirez brought up this notion with Dani. I shouldn't see why anecdote is worth more than another.

As for bloom, I absolutely love the mechanic. Pacing out your shots with a DMR and beating someone who is spamming or killing some guy across the map just makes it such a fun weapon to use. I think it just needs to be refined really. Maybe some algorithm that pushes bullets to the edge of the reticule and discounts headshots at max firing rate?

Maybe if the guy actually played some playlists where a sniper could be found he might have more kills with it. Not to mention he said he passes it up on purpose, but aside from that, there really aren't any snipers in Grifball & AS. He's played like 12 games of Slayer and two of Snipers, his notion was a little ridiculous when you look at it that way.

Now, my point with Dani doesn't make it true or anything, but I found it funny at the time, hence the smiley face. Some stuff just sails right over your guys heads, you just zone in one one particular part of a post and run rampant with it.

You know what would make bloom ok probably, if it only became a factor once you messed up a 5 shot. The point kyle makes about the first 4 being extremely easy to hit, then the 5th one being a random mess most of the time is spot on.

That twitter stuff is pretty funny, show's you how retarded most people on forums are.

GhaleonEB

Karl2177 said:
That type of anecdotal evidence is useless. If you guys really want to check your sniper efficiency just divide your sniper headshots by the sniper kills.

Code:
[U]Halo 3:[/U]
[INDENT]Sniper Kills: 2570
Sniper headshots: 1340
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 52.14%[/INDENT]

[U]Halo Reach:[/U]
[INDENT]Sniper Kills: 1462
Sniper headshots: 980
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 67.03%[/INDENT]
Interesting way to slice it. For me, it's:

Code:
[U]Halo 3[/U]
Sniper Kills: 201
Sniper Headshots: 69
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 34%

[U]Halo Reach[/U]
Sniper Kills: 184
Sniper Headshots: 91
Approximate headshot to kill ratio: 49%

OuterWorldVoice said:
I was so bad with Halo 3's I actually had a strategy around what to do when I found one.

Near team mates: Leave it alone.

In enemy territory but able to escape: pick up sniper and bring it back for someone else to use.

In enemy territory, cut off but safe: use it.

In enemy teritory but in danger: empty clip into the ground as fast as possible so enemy couldn't use it.

Many a player thought I was incompetant with it because I was spamming shots all over (and they were not wrong), but often I was just making sure they had less to work with once my corpse was looted.

Striker

Tunavi said:
Reminds me when Dax was on there saying "Striker called you out!", despicable.

re: Halo 3 Sniper

I've found them all to be one and the same. Main thing with Halo 3's rifle is the hit defection in the game was putrid, so often it was harder to get kills than any other game. And countless time after time of shots where you thought hit them because blood squirted out, but whaddya know, in fact you didn't hit them and it's just the crummy hitboxes ignoring you.

ncsuDuncan said:

That still makes the Pistol useless. It sounds like you are making it the H3 Pistol, which was a waste of space.

BR or Pistol, I don't see the point of having both of them. Either they overlap roles significantly or one of them is useless.

Of course we all have different opinions of this, and thats just what they are, but I don't like repetitive weapons in the sandbox. I made a post today that my dream starting weapons for H4 would be a Pistol (2x scope, 12 rounds per clip) and an AR/SMG secondary (think CE's AR role). Build a sandbox around those two being the starting weapons.

Blinding

Karl2177 said:

Code:
[u]Halo: Reach[/u]
2,541 Sniper Kills
1,621 Snipe Headshots
63.7% Efficency

[u]Halo 3[/u]
5,747 Sniper Kills
2,601 Snipe Headshots
45.2% Efficency

The Snipe in Reach does feel easier, I guess putting things in this light back that up.

feel

He already apologized for the sniper thing and admitted he was wrong guys, just because he ignores tons of replies that are not beneficial to his arguments doesn't mean you all should start doing it too:

FyreWulff said:
Oh shit, I just discovered something. It seems my love for Legacy sticks might have actually made the sniper rifle easier to use.

So, the Halo 3 recoil is nullified by movement, right? Right. I noticed something about this just now by changing the control schemes.

Legacy stick users (well, at least me) turn corners different than default stick users. I notice when I watch default stickers turn corners, they just turn their right stick - the aiming stick - to the left or right sharply, like they're using a mouse, to look in the new direction.

When I turn a corner using Legacy, I really can't do that, because my turning is on my left stick, which is also the stick i need to move forward. If I tried to do the sharp turn, I'd stop moving forward. So when I turn corners, I actually strafe into them - a left turn is me pushing the left stick up and left, and pushing the right stick right.

It appears that Legacy, being split sticks, generates so much movement data (I am constantly pushing each stick in at least two simultaneous directions at any time when trying to kill a moving target, especially in a sniper battle), that I may actually have been 100% nullifying any engine attempt at recoil during my entire Halo 3 career, and didn't know it. Testing now with default sticks, the sniper is really all over the place for me. It's like a whole different weapon.

Now, here's the twist. In Halo 3, you can strafe run (like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark) with any 3rd person weapon or turret with Legacy at full speed. Push up on the left stick and push right or left on the other stick, and you'll run at full speed with a turret, missile pod, or flamethrower.

They fixed that bug for Reach. You can no longer strafe run with a turret or a core. And Legacy acts just like Default sticks for firing and aiming the sniper rifle.

It clearly fucking explains why I'm so good with it in 3 but in Reach it's like I'm better off suiciding with a grenade so someone else can pick it up.

tl;dr The sniper rifle IS harder to use in 3
as long as you aren't using Legacy

My bad, HaloGAF.

My bad.

Though admitting earlier on twitter that you post like you do to get a rise out of people and enjoy being unwelcome in forums will be a hard one to come back from, just like hirednoobs and the comment about ram's family (after all he went through with his newborn a while back).

stephen08

Ramirez said:
Maybe if the guy actually played some playlists where a sniper could be found he might have more kills with it. Not to mention he said he passes it up on purpose, but aside from that, there really aren't any snipers in Grifball & AS. He's played like 12 games of Slayer and two of Snipers, his notion was a little ridiculous when you look at it that way.

Now, my point with Dani doesn't make it true or anything, but I found it funny at the time, hence the smiley face. Some stuff just sails right over your guys heads, you just zone in one one particular part of a post and run rampant with it.

Regardless, you cannot accept anecdotal evidence from one position and not the other. In actuality both of these experiences fall victim to being sweeping generalization fallacies. The point is, he brought this up because YOU brought up Dani's anecdote. It's sloppy reasoning all around.

kylej

Banned
stephen08 said:
Regardless, you cannot accept anecdotal evidence from one position and not the other. In actuality both of these experiences fall victim to being sweeping generalization fallacies. The point is, he brought this up because YOU brought up Dani's anecdote. It's sloppy reasoning all around.

Thanks, dad.

Syphon Filter said:
Wast thinking about getting this on games on demand. Anyone know about games on demand? Like if i delete the game can i redownload it?
Just like anything on Xbox Live, yes. You can redownload it at any time.

Top Bottom