• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

stephen08 said:
This isn't a union. Seniority doesn't (or shouldn't at least) matter as much as post quality and general courtesy extended to fellow forum users. The reason the juniors are being so hostile is because members are being condescending and outright jerks in some cases. If you want to foster a good community that is a pretty crappy way to go about it.

But I agree to a certain extent, it would be nice to have less conflict all around and more actual discussion. Let's not point the finger at one side here.

I see the most condescension coming from people like Fyrewulf, who manages to have long pedantic posts that still say nothing of worth.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
I wasn't arguing with him - his post was quite interesting and appreciated - but continuing a line of conversation that was ongoing. I had always felt the sniper rifle was easier to use, and the kills/headshots ratio is an insightful way to illustrate how. Looks like it's generally much higher in Reach than Halo 3. I'm a data guy, and it's an interesting data point.
I just noticed this post. Have you ever used Statdisk? In my high school Probability and Statistics class we were supposed to use it to do our number crunching. I think it's a great program for what it does.

Tunavi said:
Look, when I first got accepted into GAF, everyone was getting along fine. We had awesome custom game nights, we partied up for matchmaking, we would brag about how awesome are games were on GAF. All the juniors got along with the members. Hitmonchan became an admin at HBO. The lake Minnetonka thing was hilarious. I tried trolling Tashi a lot, but in a joking manner, like I worshiped him or something lol. Tawpgun and I got in the IGN kills of the week for plowing through hell. We all were so excited to be a part of the forum finally. We all showed respect to the current members, and we all posted a lot. Everyone got along fine.

Now we have these new juniors and all we do is fight with each other. There's just no respect from some of new posters, and thats all I ask for. Sigh.
I just got out of the Junior phase in this thread, and we were accepted halfway through OT3. Forever a junior.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
I wonder if Halo: CE will ever go free like Marathon or if they will ever release Halo: CEA for the PC.

It took them long enough to get clearance from MS to remove the disc check from Halo PC, asking them to make it F2P is probably like pulling their wisdom teeth.

ElRenoRaven

And lovely now all hell has broken loose. Where the hell is that Halogaf civil war gif? If it was ever appropriate today is the day.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
It took them long enough to get clearance from MS to remove the disc check from Halo PC, asking them to make it F2P is probably like pulling their wisdom teeth.
I don't know, with Forza's uploading ability, Bethesdas mod pressure, and Steams adoption of F2P, they're going to have to start caving in to some things eventually. Maybe even old DLC they don't make money off of going free.
And it's not like MS is making any money off of HPC right now. They aren't producing and selling discs to retailers.

Nutter

Dani said:
That's... not reality. If you're expecting "respect" because of your member status, hah, good luck with that.
Yeah, just look at Dani, NO one respects him.

Though I think Fyre is rapidly gaining on you Dani. :p

wwm0nkey

The Halo Panel tomorrow at Comic-Con should stop this civil war in no time :D

(it will last about 3 days this time before the next one breaks out)

Tunavi said:
Look, when I first got accepted into GAF, everyone was getting along fine. We had awesome custom game nights, we partied up for matchmaking, we would brag about how awesome are games were on GAF. All the juniors got along with the members. Hitmonchan became an admin at HBO. The lake Minnetonka thing was hilarious. I tried trolling Tashi a lot, but in a joking manner, like I worshiped him or something lol. Tawpgun and I got in the IGN kills of the week for plowing through hell. We all were so excited to be a part of the forum finally. We all showed respect to the current members, and we all posted a lot. Everyone got along fine.

Now we have these new juniors and all we do is fight with each other. There's just no respect from some of new posters, and thats all I ask for. Sigh.
I respectfully disagree.

- Everyone is still getting along just as fine as they were before. Rose-tinted glasses, man.
- Custom nights are more rare and attendence is down. It's natural, and I imagine it will pick back up eventually. Especially once the Title Update and Anniversary come out.
- GAF still parties up in matchmaking and talks about awesome games on the forum.
- The juniors are fine. Some of them a little more abrasive than normal, but not a bad batch.
- Hitmonchan is still an admin at HBO.
- Lake Minnetonka is gone but his ghost lives on in a brialliant Sparkast shoutout.
- We still troll Tashi (only the scrub can't respond right now :p)
- I'm pretty sure we just mentioned someone getting on the IGN weekly vid this morning.
- respeck knuckles are still abundant.

I like that you care about the thread, but put down the picket sign the end is not nigh.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
zpage053.gif

ElRenoRaven

wwm0nkey said:

3 days? I give it 2 hours and everyone is right back at each other's throats.

wwm0nkey said:

I was going to wait until tonight to post this on HBO, but I'll pass it along here for now.

G4TV is going to have a live blog of the Halo Universe panel.

I'll keep a lookout for anyone saying they'll do a stream, but this is the only thing I've found so far.

ncsuDuncan said:
I respectfully disagree.

- Everyone is still getting along just as fine as they were before. Rose-tinted glasses, man.
- Custom nights are more rare and attendence is down. It's natural, and I imagine it will pick back up eventually. Especially once the Title Update and Anniversary come out.
- GAF still parties up in matchmaking and talks about awesome games on the forum.
- The juniors are fine. Some of them a little more abrasive than normal, but not a bad batch.
- Lake Minnetonka is gone but his ghost lives on in a brialliant Sparkast shoutout.
- I'm pretty sure we just mentioned someone getting on the IGN weekly vid this morning.

I like that you care about the thread, but put down the picket sign the end is not nigh.
By the way, thanks again for that, Wu. I seriously love being a member of the HBO family.

MrBig said:
David also said they might be able to get the video of it on waypoint by this weekend.
This is for the impatient people like myself who want to know what is said as it happens.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
And lovely now all hell has broken loose. Where the hell is that Halogaf civil war gif? If it was ever appropriate today is the day.
My wife tells me that when women hang around each other long enough, their menstrual cycles align. I think the equivalent is happening to HaloGAF, only there are more and more of us. Gets messy.

You're all welcome for that image, BTW.

GhaleonEB said:
My wife tells me that when women hang around each other long enough, their menstrual cycles align. I think the equivalent is happening to HaloGAF, only there are more and more of us. Gets messy.

All dat estrogen. In this case all that Halo Passion, makes for turbulent times.

ncsuDuncan said:
I respectfully disagree.

The only thing that people really need to know about HaloGAF is that Tashi is a Grade A scrub!

kicking him while he's down :p

GhaleonEB said:

Out of respect, I will refrain from making a pun related to "The Flood".

Now someony hurry up and post HaloGAFcycle.jpg

GhaleonEB said:

I blame lag. Its the gamer equivalent of PMS.

Its insidious.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
I respectfully disagree.

But our junior class was confirmed for best junior class amirite marines?

Joking aside,
no but really, we are.
I first heard of this forum during Halo 3. Looked at it from time to time. Lurked a bit heavier during Reach. Got accepted, and it became my top forum trailing only behind my "clan" forum. And the controversy and hostility has always been here from time to time. That HaloGAF civil war gif was made for a reason. And maybe I have a tougher skin for these kind of things, but a bit of controversy and hostility is good from time to time. Keeps things interesting and fresh. I enjoy our debates and conversations, and laugh at all the little shots at specific people. But we always realize once we've gone too far. If this dynamic keeps up I am fine with it.

Now...

Bloom Sux
AA's Sux
Movement Sux
BTB Sux
Many things Sux

vhfive

If you are a junior you should not have the most posts in this thread. People don't like it when someone new comes in and just starts posting up a goddamn storm. Ask Dax people hated him when he first joined because he was posting all the goddamn time. He has since toned it down and has been here long enough now that people (sorta) respect him and his opinions.

You maybe well known in the general Halo community, you might even dat halo veteran status but that doesn't mean shit to most of us. This is a separate community that many members have been with for years. If you think I'm going to give you the same respect I give Ram (who has been here since the dawn of HaloGAF) then you're fucking crazy.

tldr
You are new to this community act like it

I'm off to play basketball and then go to the bar. A drunk vhfive will be back in a couple of hours to play some Halo you fuckers better be on

vhfive said:
I'm off to play basketball and then go to the bar. A drunk vhfive will be back in a couple of hours to play some Halo you fuckers better be on

I'll always remember when you were so proud of getting 5 precision weapons kills in a 15 minute Tempest flag game. So awesome lol.

Decided to put some spartans together as a quick test so you guys can have an idea of how the final thing will look.
I'm still collecting entries, 75 so far.

test.jpg

<3

Edit: Reach's spartan models are beautiful

neoism

GhaleonEB said:
Sniper Rifle: #23 ToD in Halo 3.

Sniper Rifle: #10 ToD in Reach.

Anecdotal evidence is flawed as play sytles and frequency of use varies between games. But I can tell you that the very first time I ever picked up a sniper rifle in Reach, I headshot the gunner out of a moving Warthog from across Hemhorrage. I've never done anything like that in the entire series prior. I regularly pick up the Sniper Rifle and wreak people with it, even earning sniper sprees. And I've always, always, always been a horrible sniper in Halo. Between my own experience and the mention that the sniper rifle was going to be "dummy proofed" post beta in Bungie's podcast, I'm convinced it's much easier to use. I am that dummy, and it passes my test.
yep

Sniper Rifle - SRS 99D AM
The primary sniper rifle system used by UNSC forces.
Ranked
1,152 (0.894)
Social
1,397 (0.649)
Total
2,549 (0.741)

REACH
Kills Deaths Spread K/D Ratio Kills/Hour Deaths/Hour
Sniper Rifle - SRS99
The SRS first entered service with the Army in 2460; because of its modularity and ongoing manufacturer support the SRS99 was adopted by all branches in 2521.

3,905 (16%)

1,392 (8%)

+2513

Karl2177

Anyone else getting nuclear errors from bungie.net right now?

Ken said:
Can't get to my stats. Thought it was just my iPad being stubborn.
I can only reach the homepage. Then it gives me an error and says sign in offline in the corner.

Ken

Karl2177 said:
Anyone else getting nuclear errors from bungie.net right now?
Can't get to my stats. Thought it was just my iPad being stubborn.

Edit: it finally loaded my stats page.

BigShow36

vhfive said:
If you are a junior you should not have the most posts in this thread. People don't like it when someone new comes in and just starts posting up a goddamn storm. Ask Dax people hated him when he first joined because he was posting all the goddamn time. He has since toned it down and has been here long enough now that people (sorta) respect him and his opinions.

You maybe well known in the general Halo community, you might even dat halo veteran status but that doesn't mean shit to most of us. This is a separate community that many members have been with for years. If you think I'm going to give you the same respect I give Ram (who has been here since the dawn of HaloGAF) then you're fucking crazy.

tldr
You are new to this community act like it

How does one act like a "new" community member? By not posting anything? How then do they become veteran, well-known members? Most people who've managed to join this site are well versed in online forums. Every forum has its own cliche's and "veteran" members, this place is no different. There's no reason to pretend junior members have nothing valuable to add to the conversation until they prove otherwise.

I'm not going to refrain from pointing out someone's idiocy because their join date here is earlier than mine. I respect people based on the content of their posts rather than their join date.

Booshka

The real problem is that EazyB isn't around to haze the newer members. I only got a taste of his trolling until he was banned.

feel

PsychoRaven said:
33n9bbp.jpg

The only update more anticipated than Reach's TU1 by HaloGAF...

(credit goes to zayne for the original)

FyreWulff said:
The Halo 3 sniper was hard to use? You didn't even need to lead it. It shot exactly where you pointed at, instantly, across the entire map.

Even Wu can get consistent kills with the Halo 3 sniper. Even I can consistently get kills with the H3 sniper, where I tend to defer sniper duty to someone else in Reach. Although I always switched out the human one for the Beamer in Run for Cover.

You can't be serious. Halo 3 sniper takes way more skill than the Reach sniper

EDIT:

NVM, I really need to learn to refresh before posting.

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
I swear I think whoever compiles these must lurk this thread.

I never tagged that clip. And I'm not sure if Tunavi tagged the Plowin through Hell one

I rendered that one, and I did not tag it. While I was lurking I remember similar situations where someone posted a clip and it ended up in there. Pretty sure IGN lurks here. I imagine many other places to do. I wonder what they think and stuff.

Gabotron ES said:
Decided to put some spartans together as a quick test so you guys can have an idea of how the final thing will look.
I'm still collecting entries, 75 so far.

test.jpg

<3

Edit: Reach's spartan models are beautiful

Nice! I have a suggestion based on this and the Halo 3 version. I know the Spartans are kind of dark, but what do you think about brightening the overall image? I think it'd help a lot since its fairly dark. I dunno. Good work though. Cool project. :)

H3 Sniper

Kills
1,413 (1.342) Ranked
6,689 (1.644) Social

Deaths
670 (0.636) Ranked
1,271 (0.312) Social

Reach Sniper
1,608 (13%) (kills)
594 (9%) (deaths)

Easy explanation for this one though, I have so many big team games in H3 in which I'd just snipe guests and stuff. This is why it's not good to just post stats without context. Should think about what gametypes/playlists you were in and what your playstyle was like.

BigShow36 said:
How does one act like a "new" community member? By not posting anything? How then do they become veteran, well-known members? Most people who've managed to join this site are well versed in online forums. Every forum has its own cliche's and "veteran" members, this place is no different. There's no reason to pretend junior members have nothing valuable to add to the conversation until they prove otherwise.

I'm not going to refrain from pointing out someone's idiocy because their join date here is earlier than mine. I respect people based on the content of their posts rather than their join date.

The issue is when they start throwing around statements and acting like we haven't discussed things thoroughly in previous iterations of this thread. Also when they generally come across like an uptight arrogant know-it-all, even if they are not trying to. Then there was the whole "anecdotal" debacle a couple of pages back about something that can really only be discussed in that manner, and giving people shit for it anyway.

BigShow36

NullPointer said:
OK, if I have to choose, only those with blue dicks can be a dick. Otherwise play nice ;P

What about a blue tail-dick?

Devolution said:
The issue is when they start throwing around statements and acting like we haven't discussed things thoroughly in previous iterations of this thread. Also when they generally come like an uptight arrogant know-it-all, even if they are not trying to. Then there was the whole "anecdotal" debacle a couple of pages back about something that can really only be discussed in that manner, and giving people shit for it anyway.

To be fair, everything related to Halo has been discussed thoroughly in some form or another. I understand what you're getting at though.

FyreWulff

Dug said:
Next time I have to play Team Snipers I am going to throw my Xbox out a window.

That playlist would actually be worth playing if it had any sort of objective gametypes in it.

As it is, the most popular objective playlist is Grifball, and I can only tolerate that playlist long enough to finish Weeklies that need me to get a bunch of multikills or revenges really fast.

FyreWulff said:
That playlist would actually be worth playing if it had any sort of objective gametypes in it.

As it is, the most popular objective playlist is Grifball, and I can only tolerate that playlist long enough to finish Weeklies that need me to get a bunch of multikills or revenges really fast.

Objectives in a sniping game? No thanks.

What it needs is some maps that aren't Hemorrhage.

Devolution said:
The issue is when they start throwing around statements and acting like we haven't discussed things thoroughly in previous iterations of this thread. Also when they generally come across like an uptight arrogant know-it-all, even if they are not trying to. Then there was the whole "anecdotal" debacle a couple of pages back about something that can really only be discussed in that manner, and giving people shit for it anyway.
Yeah juniors! Read the other 4 OTs before you so much as think out loud in here!

Stop being yourself! You're being all arrogant and uptight, without even knowing it too!

So basically, don't talk about what has been talked about before and if it hasn't been mentioned before, may god help you if it's some anecdotal bullshit!

Top Bottom