• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Ken

Falt said:
Out of interest, what is everyone's K/D spread with the AR (competive)?

+266 for AR

I'm more curious about everyone's K/D spread with the Banshee Bomb in competitive playlists.

-61 for BB

Devolution said:
Games are pretty drop in drop out right now. Always have been.
So fix dropouts. Adding drop-in doesn't make the experience better.

It's like nerfing the pistol because it's too good, instead of fixing all the other weapons. #BadAnalogy

Banshee Easter Egg: If you press the "Y" button while flying the Banshee you can use a secret plasma cannon. When you're done playing around, press "Y" again to revert back to the normal Banshee Bomb.

MrBig said:
server browsers are insurmountable in letting players play what they want to play.
On this there can be no debate. They're also good for finding games of minimal latency. What they absolutely ignore is skill matching, although if you've already convinced yourself that skill matching sucks, you'll have no problem abandoning it.

They should at least allow custom games to be publicly searchable and joinable.

Kuroyume

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Wait what...

Why?

Devolution said:
He probably wants servers or something.

MrBig said:
server browsers are insurmountable in letting players play what they want to play.

Either servers or something like KZ2 or the older XBOX games like the Counter Strike port where gamers could create a room and set a map rotation along with whatever they want to play and just play.

I wonder if I could just play The Pit and Avalanche BR Slayer/Assualt/Flag over and over would I hate Halo 3 as much as I do. I came close to that back when Legendary map pack launched. I believe there was either a rotation of Avalanche and Ghost Town or just Avalanche and I recall just playing Avalanche over and over and it was the best. They then decided to merge it with the previous map pack and I started getting the oval Rat map and Standoff and it lost all appeal to me.

When you get a map as good as the Pit I could play that forever without getting tired of it. It sucks when you can't just play what you want. I don't expect them to ever get rid of it because Bungie popularized it on consoles and it has become synonymous with Halo.

Trasher

Hydranockz said:
Rep is just a tad subjective. You might keep that in mind.
2zgg1vk_Captain_Obvious_FINALLY_FOUND-s410x544-15644-580.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Halo4: Can we please get rid of voting? Make good playlists with good map/gametype combinations, no ARs in Last Resort or BTB on Atom (imo that was bad, and it did get removed...) etc shit. No voting needed (and make it clear that certain lists have objective games and if you don't like that, go away).

And give us custom game browser.

And slap some sort global true-skill or such... if you're good in Team Slayer, then you're most likely equally good in BTB or Squad Slayer.

ncsuDuncan said:
So fix dropouts. Adding drop-in doesn't make the experience better.

It's like nerfing the pistol because it's too good, instead of fixing all the other weapons. #BadAnalogy

They tried that by punishing offenders. Didn't really do much. And I'll admit I've dropped out of more than a few games because the game type or hosting was terrible. The best irony though is when some group votes for something that I hate, my team whoops their ass and they rage quit.

In fact it happened just last night in Doubles now that I recall. They really wanted slayer on Asylum (ar starts) so I just horded long range stuff and made them miserable, then eventually they rage quit.

ElRenoRaven

I'm right with you guys and have been since day 1. Give us a browser. Let us find the games we want. Don't force us to have to pick between 3 maps and gametypes and then force us into one if we don't like any of the 3 choices.

Kuroyume said:
If Halo 4 has matchmaking WHICH I HOPE IT FUCKING DOESN'T BUT I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH then voting should be done like this:

Team Objective Playlist

1st round of voting pick gametype

- Neutral Assualt
- 1 Bomb
- 3 Plots
- 2 Flag CTF
- 1 Flag CTF

Once people pick the objective they then get a second round of voting to vote on whatever maps are available for that gametype.

Agreed on the voting process, but no matchmaking...what? Can you elaborate? And you do realize that there is no way in hell that Halo 4 doesn't have matchmaking?

EDIT: I saw your post above. I think a custom browser would be sweet to have alongside matchmaking.

Tawpgun

Kuroyume said:
Either servers or something like KZ2 or the older XBOX games like the Counter Strike port where gamers could create a room and set a map rotation along with whatever they want to play and just play.

I wonder if I could just play The Pit and Avalanche BR Slayer/Assualt/Flag over and over would I hate Halo 3 as much as I do. I came close to that back when Legendary map pack launched. I believe there was either a rotation of Avalanche and Ghost Town or just Avalanche and I recall just playing Avalanche over and over and it was the best. They then decided to merge it with the previous map pack and I started getting the oval Rat map and Standoff and it lost all appeal to me.

When you get a map as good as the Pit I could play that forever without getting tired of it. It sucks when you can't just play what you want. I don't expect them to ever get rid of it because Bungie popularized it on consoles and it has become synonymous with Halo.

But then you get half filled rooms or you wait for rooms to clear up... how would boosting be prevented. All sense of skill based rank are irrelevant.

Absolutely not. It just doesn't feel right for a Halo game, let alone ANY shooter imo.

I'd LOVE a customs browser but Matchmaking needs to stay. I get mad when a console game doesn't have matchmaking in this day and age. I was pissed when Gears 1 didn't.

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
They tried that by punishing offenders. Didn't really do much. And I'll admit I've dropped out of more than a few games because the game type or hosting was terrible. The best irony though is when some group votes for something that I hate, my team whoops their ass and they rage quit.
Quit penalties don't work (i have no idea how many times i've gotten quit ban, don't give a shit about it really*). Make the game good enough so that people don't want to quit, don't have reason to quit.

*I might care more about quit penalty if i lost credits. I don't quit that much. Only when people are being too idiots. And that happens too often...

BigShow36

The notion of a custom browser has always been an intriguing concept for Halo, but the breadth of custom options available poses problems. For some reason, a lot of people enjoy playing really, really dumb gametypes. Unless the custom browser displayed EVERY setting that was changed, or allows you to search based on exact criteria, it would be pretty frustrating. 9/10 games that said "MLG TS" would be some bull**** screwball gametype with 3000% speed or something.

Woorloog said:
Only when people are being too idiots.
In light of my junior status and previous discussions about dickishness, I'll refrain from saying anything here...

wait.

Woorloog said:
Quit penalties don't work (i have no idea how many times i've gotten quit ban, don't give a shit about it really*). Make the game good enough so that people don't want to quit, don't have reason to quit.

There-in lies the issue though. I doubt a game will be good enough or separate out people well enough to keep others from quitting. The doubles games I did last night, Barrow actually put on the skill selection and the opponents became worse. How that is possible, I have no idea, I just know that it occurred.

Striker

The Real Napsta said:
AR start sucks, sure. But this way BKs can't get the same swordbase garbage every game because they have less opportunity.
I rather play Swordbase than either of those two I listed. And I use the Pistol, therefore won't mind spawning without a DMR all the time. In Halo 3 it was essential.

Striker said:
I rather play Swordbase than either of those two I listed. And I use the Pistol, therefore won't mind spawning without a DMR all the time. In Halo 3 it was essential.

I'd rather play anything in Halo 3 (within reason), than anything on swordbase.

FyreWulff said:
That was amazing! Nothing beats the sound of Halo 3 dual-wielded SMGs. So meaty.

Hypertrooper said:
Yeah good games. Even when I haven't spoken a word.
i'm always so nervous to speak english
No worries. :^)

I'm getting back online for some more Halo 3 action!

Woorloog

Banned
Devolution said:
For shits and giggles everyone post their worst k/d weapon/vehicle.

Mine is sword at -151.

I've fallen 166 times, with two kills... Don't ask.
I have negative KDSpread with AR at -150. Which is funny since i prefer AR* and i think i use it a lot but i use the pistol more in fact. A lot more. (Still, i have over 1000 kills with AR)

And other statistics.
I've been Banshee bombed 121 times. How many times you've been bombed?
I have KDspread of +1 with Falcon (driver)
I have positive spread with Armor Lock *evil grin*

*I Prefer AR in theory. Too bad Reach AR sucks most of time.

Woorloog said:
I've fallen 166 times, with two kills... Don't ask.
I have negative KDSpread with AR at -150. Which is funny since i prefer AR* and i think i use it a lot but i use the pistol more in fact. A lot more. (Still, i have over 1000 kills with AR)

And other statistics.
I've been Banshee bombed 121 times. How many times you've been bombed?
I have KDspread of +1 with Falcon (driver)
I have positive spread with Armor Lock *evil grin*

*I Prefer AR in theory. Too bad Reach AR sucks most of time.

Banshee's have trolled me 63 times.

What I find funny is how frag nades are third in my list.

Kujo

my worst is sniper, man why did they make this so hard to use in reach compared to 3. at least they made 3's bloom visable tho

Hitmonchan107 said:
Good games, bobs, fyrewulff and hypertrooper. I'll get back online in 30 minutes or so.

Thanks for the invite! Sorry if my ukishness was lagging things up I noticed a few red bars here and there lol. Was still a ton of fun but goddamn Halo 3 needs an injection of Reach netcode.

I would love to hop back on but work tomorow. :(, make this a regular thing and ill be there!

Who where the other guys in the party by the way? Sorry I was in party chat the majority of the time. A friend needed to talk.

Mojo said:
my worst is sniper, man why did they make this so hard to use in reach compared to 3. at least they made 3's bloom visable tho

I also love how they have given us mobile shield doors. Armour Lock FTW!

Woorloog

Banned
Frags are my 5th TOD, Sniper is 4th. Sniper's too easy to use in Reach... Halo 3 Sniper plus Reach netcode. Now that'd be nice.
EDIT, BTW, i miss about 3/4th of Sniper shots... With the 4th usually landing on chest...

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
Thanks for the invite! Sorry if my ukishness was lagging things up I noticed a few red bars here and there lol. Was still a ton of fun but goddamn Halo 3 needs an injection of Reach netcode.

I would love to hop back on but work tomorow. :(, make this a regular thing and ill be there!

Who where the other guys in the party by the way? Sorry I was in party chat the majority of the time. A friend needed to talk.

I also love how they have given us mobile shield doors. Armour Lock FTW!

Just felt like normal Halo 3 to me. Encounter starts, and now, suddenly dead! Looks like the client actually started shooting you 2 seconds ago.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
lol, my worst spread is with the AR.

I'm not sure if I should be proud or ashamed.
Same. Wear it as a badge of honor, knowing you're above using such a plebeian weapon.

feel

I'm siding with letting people vote for map and gametype separately.

4 maps
2 or 3 gametypes
no skips to a next voting screen
no seeing what others are voting for
no vote changing

Let's get the trolling out of the equation for the most part, and let people play what they want to play in matchmaking, don't know why Bungie is always so against that. I'm hoping for some big changes to the Halo online experience with 343 now in charge and common sense being applied into decisions.

FyreWulff said:
Just felt like normal Halo 3 to me. Encounter starts, and now, suddenly dead! Looks like the client actually started shooting you 2 seconds ago.

I never had that problem tonight, thats only ever happened to me when its EXTREMELY laggy. I struggled a lot with people sponging my br shots but apart from that it was just generally as bad as Halo 3 has always been but not 'uh oh blackscreen' aweful. I doubt this would be the case but if you havent played Halo 3 in a while maybe it was just from not being used to it? Maybe those 3 guests lagged things up more on your end though.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I never had that problem tonight, thats only ever happened to me when its EXTREMELY laggy. I struggled a lot with people sponging my br shots but apart from that it was just generally as bad as Halo 3 has always been but not 'uh oh blackscreen' aweful. I doubt this would be the case but if you havent played Halo 3 in a while maybe it was just from not being used to it? Maybe those 3 guests lagged things up more on your end though.

Yeah it was pretty laggy all around. Although I had a good laugh at you moonjumping around The Pit from the hallways.

FyreWulff said:
Yeah it was pretty laggy all around. Although I had a good laugh at you moonjumping around The Pit from the hallways.

Haha I kept jumping over that explosive barrel hoping you would blow it up, it worked out beautifully I thought. :p

Kuroyume

Banned
Letters said:
I'm siding with letting people vote for map and gametype separately.

4 maps
2 or 3 gametypes
no skips to a next voting screen
no seeing what others are voting for
no vote changing

Oh my ideas aren't so funny now are they

2s0havk.gif

feel

Kuroyume said:
Oh my ideas aren't so funny now are they

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l527/stuffgif/2s0havk.gif[img][/QUOTE]
*reluctant slowclap*

[QUOTE=Mojo]alpha zombies on swordbase 24/7[/QUOTE]
Yes!! By playlist. If I wanted to play that, I should be able to go into the WEIRD SHIT GOES HERE playlist and play that often with other people into the same kind of stuff.

Hitmonchan107 said:
My old high school friends.

Haha yeah somehow I didnt think they were gaffers, I felt it was better to let you guys talk. Please tell me you guys are going to be on Halo 3 a lot, I enjoyed it a ton. We actually managed to play good maps and gametypes it was like winning the lottery.

bobs99 ... said:
Haha yeah somehow I didnt think they were gaffers, I felt it was better to let you guys talk. Please tell me you guys are going to be on Halo 3 a lot, I enjoyed it a ton. We actually managed to play good maps and gametypes it was like winning the lottery.
I had a hell of a time. I'll probably play it more often than Reach.

Top Bottom