• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

feel

Finally sat down with some free time and watched part 3 and 4. Fantastic panel, 343 guys give off a great vibe and transmit the great feeling of knowing what they're doing and that there's hope for the franchise. Loved the part about the Reach T.U. and the enthusiastic CEA live demo.

2qukdok.jpg

2mzy3k2.jpg

edit-

burnie burns was great! Very good comedic timing and chemistry with the rest of the people at the panel. (his drawn name card nice touch specially after them joking that he had snuck in)

and I felt very embarrassed for the dude from the audience that said cock of doody on the mic... yikes!!

I wish this title, and I suppose there is still hope? That this will come out on the "Next Box".

I just don't know why they would choose to start a new Halo trilogy but start the first of the trilogy on an old system, then change over to a new console for the second installment?

Now some people speculate it will be kinect compatable, but don't you think the NEXTbox will be as well?

Food for thought.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I agree with a lot of this, especially the Reach stuff. ESPECIALLY the Cr payout stuff if Reach is looking to have the lowest lifespan of all the Halo games so far. In a way im glad Reach support is dieing off already, im looking forward to moving on asap.

Im not sure frequent map packs are the best approach anyway though, I think a map pack every 3-4 months is good, anything more than that is pushing it.

As for Halo 3 Im not sure a bandaid approach would be best for Halo 3 matchmaking, but something needs to be done. I especially love the idea of rotating dexp playlists.

Yeah, about every 3-4 months is about what I'd want.

It just seems every time, we get a map after the usual time first, then the follow up, and then the DLC after that is always held up to value-add to a future Halo title..

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
I wish this title, and I suppose there is still hope? That this will come out on the "Next Box".

I just don't know why they would choose to start a new Halo trilogy but start the first of the trilogy on an old system, then change over to a new console for the second installment?

Now some people speculate it will be kinect compatable, but don't you think the NEXTbox will be as well?

Food for thought.
There are rumors of MS doing a quick turn around and releasing the console in the holidays next year after doing a reveal at E3. I don't think H4 was ever confirmed as being a 360 game, and some studios have apparently been working under general hardware guidelines for MS's new tech for over a year now.

This goes completely against any speculation of my own, but it's always a possibility. I just hope its not a rush job like the Wii U is.

MrBig said:
There are rumors of MS doing a quick turn around and releasing the console in the holidays next year after doing a reveal at E3. I don't think H4 was ever confirmed as being a 360 game, and some studios have apparently been working under general hardware guidelines for MS's new tech for over a year now.

This goes completely against any speculation of my own, but it's always a possibility. I just hope its not a rush job like the Wii U is.

That would be an awful move, non the least because it would certainly be a rush job to compete with the Wii U. Halo 4 has a lot to prove. 343 are fresh to the series, and personally Reach has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Halo just doesn't have the power to sell me a next gen xbox at the moment, if Halo 4 is good then it will sell me on getting a next gen xbox for Halo 5, but right now im not that avid a fan.

bobs99 ... said:
That would be an awful move, non the least because it would certainly be a rush job to compete with the Wii U. Halo 4 has a lot to prove. 343 are fresh to the series, and personally Reach has left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reach has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Bungie. Everything else that is Halo-related has been either good or great. Certain Affinity's maps are good. Everything on Waypoint has been excellent (especially ONE's stuff). Since the founding of 343 all the fiction (novels, waypoint vids, motion comics, etc.) has been interesting content made by skilled creators. I still love Halo. Halo 4 could absolutely force me to buy a new console.

It's Bungie that has to win me back not the Halo franchise. Luckily for them, I'm easy like that.

Having said all that: I doubt Halo 4 will be on a new console. Does anyone really think the Wii U is launching a new generation of consoles? The next gen war starts when Sony and Microsoft say it starts and if either of them had a console in the pipeline for holiday 2012 they would've leaked it already to dump all over the Wii U's momentum.

Tawpgun

MrBig said:

They said a new trilogy on the Xbox 360.

Halo 4 should be on the 360. Give us a platform of expectations from 343. Then Halo 5 will blow us away with Next Gen features.

FyreWulff said:
My 343 Report Card #1

Way too big to post to this thread, but some opinions on what I'd like 343 to do.

Agreed with nearly everything. A good thing you did is not focusing on gameplay parts like movement speed AA's, etc. These changes are all opinions and differ strongly from player to player.

That said, I hope 343 will make the fuse time of the grenades a little bit longer with the TU. That's the only thing I'd want to see replaced in ALL playlist in Reach. I think bloom is a too prominent feature in Reach to be completely removed from the sandbox. I don't like it but after more then 6 months, it doesn't anoy me that much anymore.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Halo 4 should be on the 360. Give us a platform of expectations from 343. Then Halo 5 will blow us away with Next Gen features.

I just don't see having 5 and 6 be on different systems be a good idea. It will feel like halo 1-4 and then 5 and 6

bobs99 ... said:

Halo just doesn't have the power to sell me a next gen xbox at the moment, if Halo 4 is good then it will sell me on getting a next gen xbox for Halo 5, but right now im not that avid a fan.
Yeah. I think having Halo4 released on the 360 is a good thing. It would be better to put some confidence back in the fans before trying to release a new system after Reach's controversial reception. Some people
me, I guess...
would prefer a new Halo, sooner, rather than later. I really don't see Microsoft's new system coming out during next year's fourth quarter, anyway. And playing Reach for more than another whole year would be unbearable for me, unless the TU can really bring new life into the game. Thankfully, I fully plan on playing a lot of gears of wars 3, skyward sword, and Skyrim. /fist pump

FyreWulff

I can't wait to see what they've done with Cortana, honestly.

I'd like to see them use the Halo 3 version, since that's my favorite, but they're not adding any new animations so that model might look weird being animated with less bones..

Bregmann Roche said:
Reach has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to Bungie. Everything else that is Halo-related has been either good or great. Certain Affinity's maps are good. Everything on Waypoint has been excellent (especially ONE's stuff). Since the founding of 343 all the fiction (novels, waypoint vids, motion comics, etc.) has been interesting content made by skilled creators. I still love Halo. Halo 4 could absolutely force me to buy a new console.

It's Bungie that has to win me back not the Halo franchise. Luckily for them, I'm easy like that.

Having said all that: I doubt Halo 4 will be on a new console. Does anyone really think the Wii U is launching a new generation of consoles? The next gen war starts when Sony and Microsoft say it starts and if either of them had a console in the pipeline for holiday 2012 they would've leaked it already to dump all over the Wii U's momentum.

343 has done an absolutely fantastic job but unfortunatly the stuff introduced in Reach which im not fond of has to be dealt with somehow. Im personally hoping 343 will be magicians and somehow fade it all from existence but I get the feeling that to appease the mass market at least some of it will pollute be in every future Halo game coming out. :(

Kuroyume

Banned
I'd welcome a nice graphical update to Halo anytime but it doesn't need new hardware at this moment for a better game. It needs a good development team that can make a game that doesn't suffer from any of the issues that were in 3 and Reach.

bobs99 ... said:
Im personally hoping 343 will be magicians and somehow fade it all from existence but I get the feeling that to appease the mass market at least some of it will pollute be in every future Halo game coming out. :(

Most of the things I and others complain about in Reach could remain as part of future games but with different implementation. Armor Lock as a pickup would be nowhere near the problem it is right now. Bloom could be toned down or made specific to a few weapons (pistols and automatics but not DMR/BR types). 343 could leave everything in and make them fun.

We can assume player movement will change since we will no longer be Spartan IIIs (and because concrete blocks on our feet are not fun), and vehicle combat will change because it is terrible in Reach and everyone can see that.

Frankie will save us.

Believe or something...

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Halo looks a lot more vibrant with the Reach engine. Can't wait to see AotCR.

While it's not the reach engine I do agree with what you were trying to say. We forget that Halo is 10 years old now. At that time yes it was great looking and some things in it hold up now. However a lot of it is very bland simply because they could not put as much detail into things as they can now. That's why I don't mind the changes in the Forerunner structures textures to be more fancy. This has been happening slowly as the games went on. Halo 2 had a bit more detail but like 1 was limited by the xbox. However once it hit the 360 take a look at the forerunner structures. They weren't as plain as they used to be. This was because the 360 let them make them more detailed and less plain.

So I can't wait to see Halo without the limitations of it's original hardware.

A27 Tawpgun said:

What? No, they didn't.

I see a lot of misguided speculation today, specifically posts saying that:
- Halo 4 could be on the Super Xbox 720™.
or
- Halo 4, 5, and 6 will all be on the Xbox 360.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to view Halo 5 as a possible launch title for the Super Xbox 720™, but anything beyond that seems ridiculous to me.

The only facts we have right now:
- Halo 4 is the start of a new trilogy.
- Halo 4 will be on the Xbox 360.

That platforms for Halo 5 and 6 have not been talked about at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
bobs99 ... said:
343 has done an absolutely fantastic job but unfortunatly the stuff introduced in Reach which im not fond of has to be dealt with somehow. Im personally hoping 343 will be magicians and somehow fade it all from existence but I get the feeling that to appease the mass market at least some of it will pollute be in every future Halo game coming out. :(
Ehh, not necessarily. I think 343 has a fair amount of room and credibility to cut undesirable features/mechanics out of the franchise. If there was ever a good time to take risks with the Halo franchise, it's now.
ncsuDuncan said:
What? No, they didn't.
Well, their wording at E3 was misleading: "The dawn of a new trilogy for Xbox 360". That can easily be confused as "Halo 4, 5, 6 for Xbox 360!!!"

PS: The Halo 4 trailer still gives me goosebumps. Soooo goooood.

wwm0nkey

Here is what I think will happen Halo 4 will launch near or on the day of the new hardware, there will be a 360 version of the game and one for the newer system. They will basically be the same but the one on the new system could benefit from 1080p, AA and 60fps.

Or you know Halo 4 will just send the 360 off with a bang.(<<<this is what is going to happen)

FyreWulff

omg.kittens said:
Ehh, not necessarily. I think 343 has a fair amount of room and credibility to cut undesirable features/mechanics out of the franchise. If there was ever a good time to take risks with the Halo franchise, it's now.

Well, their wording at E3 was misleading: "The dawn of a new trilogy for Xbox 360". That can easily be confused as "Halo 4, 5, 6 for Xbox 360!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXGPDJXMdws&feature=player_detailpage#t=923s

Yup.

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:
What? No, they didn't.

As I said, that is completely against my speculation, its merely a rumor that has been tossed around.

i nerini del buio said:
mmmh tessellated water
it reminds me a lot halo3's one
Other than the water (which i agree looks really good), I kind of prefer the original. The skybox, in particular, is all washed out now. I preferred being able to look upon the ring in the distance, with its atmospheric swirls of clouds and terrain, all of which was contrasted against a brilliant blue, starry sky. Now it's a hazy mess of strange clouds, with a diffused color scheme, where the green hue/tint is too strong, and the ring in the distance is not is pleasing to look at, imo. The old version actually holds up pretty well for 10 years.

Deputy Moonman said:
Other than the water (which i agree looks really good), I kind of prefer the original. The skybox, in particular, is all washed out now. I preferred being able to look upon the ring in the distance, with its atmospheric swirls of clouds and terrain, all of which was contrasted against a brilliant blue, starry sky. Now it's a hazy mess of strange clouds, with a diffused color scheme, where the green hue/tint is too strong, and the ring in the distance is not is pleasing to look at, imo. The old version actually holds up pretty well for 10 years.
Press Back. Problem solved.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
What? No, they didn't.

or
- Halo 4, 5, and 6 will all be on the Xbox 360.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to view Halo 5 as a possible launch title for the Super Xbox 720™, but anything beyond that seems ridiculous to me.

The only facts we have right now:
- Halo 4 is the start of a new trilogy.
- Halo 4 will be on the Xbox 360.

That platforms for Halo 5 and 6 have not been talked about at all.
I'm with you.

Just telling people who don't believe it will be on the 360.

Hydranockz said:
Press Back. Problem solved.
yep, indeed
I'm really looking forward to playing the game with (or should I say "in its original blahlablah"? gotta work on my english skillsXD) its original graphics in HD 16:9
hope there's some kind of antialiasing too :D

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
i nerini del buio said:
yep, indeed
I'm really looking forward to playing the game with its original graphics in HD 16:9
hope there's some kind of antialiasing too :D
No, it should be as jaggy as these rocks to give that true classic experience:

QBhVV.jpg

feel

Frankie's supervision all up in that water
Hypertrooper said:
You know, that Halo: CE:A isn't using the Reach engine?
As far as we know Saber is using the one and only Halo engine, and from the looks of it, a version in the ballpark of what Reach used.

wwm0nkey

Again really have to hand it to Saber, their games might suck but when they are working on graphics only they can do a damn amazing job!

Dani said:
Can't find a home for these gifs so I'll just dump them.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/Ani.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/hogdelivers.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/wee2-1.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b177/iamnotevilness/hog-1.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice gifs, though I'm not too pleased that the HUD doesn't change when switching between versions.

Letters said:
Well, impressive how they chose to replicate the Halo engine from scratch in such short dev time instead of just grabbing the Reach build of the existing one and improving it, only for in the end getting such little credit for it as people will assume it's the same but with a more colorful clean look to it.
Isn't just the graphic engine from scratch? The basis of Halo:CE:A is the Halo from 2001. So I guess they just added the terminals etc. Btw. I'm curious, how the terminals will look like in Classic mode.

GhaleonEB

Just got done watching the Comic-Con panel. Good stuff. Made me quite interested in CEA - the terminals in particular - and a wee bit interested in Cryptum.

I stopped watching the Q&A at the end after the third wince-inducing question, though.

The crowd reactions and the entire presentation just reminded me how much fun being at these panels is, which in turn fed into my PAX hype. Can't believe it's still over a month away.

GhaleonEB said:
Just got done watching the Comic-Con panel. Good stuff. Made me quite interested in CEA - the terminals in particular - and a wee bit interested in Cryptum.

I stopped watching the Q&A at the end after the third wince-inducing question, though.
Are terrible questions a staple of Halo panels, or was it just a bad batch?

Ramirez

I seriously cannot wait to see this area for the first time in CEA.

Scrn_092.jpg

Going to the cliff edge when you got out of the drop pod and looking down over the canyon out into the water seriously blew my mind at the time. Oh, and the music, can't wait to hear that music redone with higher production values. Yummy.

Just had a game where I played against to Inheritors. The map was hemmorage with one flag as gametype so I already knew it was gonna suck.

Well, those guys then proceded to use the revenant glitch where all headshots land or something like that.

I really hope that will fix that with the TU, so frustrating.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
wwm0nkey said:
Here is what I think will happen Halo 4 will launch near or on the day of the new hardware, there will be a 360 version of the game and one for the newer system. They will basically be the same but the one on the new system could benefit from 1080p, AA and 60fps.

Or you know Halo 4 will just send the 360 off with a bang.(<<<this is what is going to happen)

You do realize that Halo 2 launched a year before the Xbox 360, right? Halo 4 will still be alive and well even after the 720's launch.

Halo 4 - Fall 2012
Xbox 720 - Fall 2013
Halo 5 - Fall 2014

This allows a whole year for the 720's install base to build and will keep 343i's new 2 year development cycle for Halo.

Top Bottom