• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff

Merguson said:
I'm allergic to peanut butter so I'll go with the latter.

Team Butter Rifles it is then!

Hydranockz said:
I think it was more the fact that 343 are at the "Get some MLG playrs for their input" stage of development rather than the notion that they are getting MLG players.

My post is intended to confer that "looks like things around going to plan as usual". If they're bringing in MLG players at this point, they should also be at the focus testing stage.

Hopefully they also remember to take their cellphones away. I swear MS leaks like a sieve.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
Bungie brought in MLG players for test on Halo 2 and Halo 3. It wouldn't be anything new.
I can't share my source. There is nothing else I even know than what I posted. All it shows is that they are at a point of development that they can do this.

Tawpgun

The Real Napsta said:
When did anyone imply it was new?
Posting about it implies it hasn't happened before and isn't normal.

But yes, MLG has been brought in to help the competitive edge. Both companies benefit from it. Halo is MLG's main game. MLG gives Halo tons of publicity.

kylej

Banned
Sai-kun said:
ATTN: HaloGAF

Can someone design a shirt? Please and thank you :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438373

Um HaloGAF already has a shirt

walshy is my.jpg

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, fix the link and I'll send you mine. Are you taking the pic via the iOS app, or is there a better way? n/m

ncsuDuncan said:
Terrible questions are a staple of all video game panels.

Go into any thread on the gaming side. Take every asinine question posed on the first few pages and read them aloud to yourself. Now imagine someone just asked any one of those questions over a microphone in an auditorium full of nerds. It can no longer be ignored like it would be on a forum. Revel in the awkward silence that presses down on the room as the game dev on the panel tries to find a way to respond without A) sounding like a jerk or B) creating bad PR.

Sometimes I feel really bad for the people asking the questions. But I always feel worse for the people that have to answer them.
I read this post at least three times. So good.

Whatever happened to the HaloGAF symbol? Get rid of the white circle around the outside edge and put it on a dark grey T-shirt, and I'll buy one.

Edit: Make it something like this. I don't know what's going on with the weird part of the logo, but I believe that's there to let you know it's transparent since it was white.

Booshka

A27 Tawpgun said:
Posting about it implies it hasn't happened before and isn't normal.

But yes, MLG has been brought in to help the competitive edge. Both companies benefit from it. Halo is MLG's main game. MLG gives Halo tons of publicity.
Not anymore, Starcraft 2 is now the Flagship title for MLG.

Booshka said:
Not anymore, Starcraft 2 is now the Flagship title for MLG.

Whoa when did this happen? I must say that I never found Reach MLG that interesting personally, and I know Starcraft 2 is well known as a pretty damn technical game, but I cant believe its now the flagship title.

Kibbles

MrBig said:
Amazingly minimal amount of lag, and all of us were in different parts of the world.

e: so apparently some people from the MLG community are already being called in to work with H4...
Tom Morello to make his glorious return?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Trasher said:
Are there any tastes of this music out there yet? I can't wait.
The Anniversary trailer at E3 featured the new monks & some digital comps. We recorded at Skywalker a couple weeks later. What I've heard so far sounds amazing.

Edit: Hyper beat me to it this time. :)

lybertyboy said:
The Anniversary trailer at E3 featured the new monks & some digital comps. We recorded at Skywalker a couple weeks later. What I've heard so far sounds amazing.
Maybe I'm misreading this, but what we've heard so far isn't from Skywalker Ranch?

Didn't you guys also record the weapon sounds at Skywalker? Does that mean what we've heard so far is placeholder? (Unless the "Grunt Funeral" video is from the latest build.)

If I misread this, I'm sorry.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Maybe I'm misreading this, but what we've heard so far isn't from Skywalker Ranch?

Didn't you guys also record the weapon sounds at Skywalker? Does that mean what we've heard so far is placeholder?

I ain't sure about this, but they just recorded the soundtrack at the Skywalker Ranch. Not the weapons sounds etc. But I can be wrong. (And I'm wrong a lot of times. Except I'm in the drunk hypah mode, then I'm always right)

Edit.: This time I was right:
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-62211/80914
"We are recording the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra performing Pyramind Studios' new orchestrations of the original music composed by Marty O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori. We are also recreating all the rock and synth music with updated productions by Pyramind Studios. Striving to be as respectful and authentic as possible to the original, while utilizing the absolute highest production techniques available, the ultimate goal is to create an experience as good as you remember it being, but still new-sounding."
Nothing about weapon sounds etc.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Kibbles said:
Tom Morello to make his glorious return?

"Tom Morello" wasn't from MLG or anything to do with them. He went to the MLG forums when his original Bungie.net post got shut down and he got banned.

I also think he might have learned a hard lesson.

Hypertrooper said:
I ain't sure about this, but they just recorded the soundtrack at the Skywalker Ranch. Not the weapons sounds etc. But I can be wrong. (And I'm wrong a lot of times. Except I'm in the drunk hypah mode, then I'm always right)

Edit.: This time I was right:
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/news/headline/the-halo-bulletin-62211/80914
"We are recording the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra performing Pyramind Studios' new orchestrations of the original music composed by Marty O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori. We are also recreating all the rock and synth music with updated productions by Pyramind Studios. Striving to be as respectful and authentic as possible to the original, while utilizing the absolute highest production techniques available, the ultimate goal is to create an experience as good as you remember it being, but still new-sounding."
Nothing about weapon sounds etc.
Later on in the Bulletin:

Beyond the songs, though, we’re giving the same treatment to other parts of the audio experience as well. So things like vehicles, physics, and objects also get the benefit of high-quality and updated sounds. But we didn’t stop there. The core sandbox weapon and combat sounds are getting another pass of design, the ambiences are being recreated from scratch, and we are also planning on going back and updating all of the cinematics with full 5.1 surround mixes. After we’re done with that, we’ll try to figure out who would have been your daddy. Actually, now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure George has that one covered. Moving on.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hitmonchan107 said:

Didn't you guys also record the weapon sounds at Skywalker? Does that mean what we've heard so far is placeholder? (Unless the "Grunt Funeral" video is from the latest build.)

None of the new SFX have been in the builds we've shown publicly. Think most everything has used Reach sounds for placeholder so far. Once again, what I've heard so far is beefy. :)

Booshka

lybertyboy said:
None of the new SFX have been in the builds we've shown publicly. Think most everything has used Reach sounds for placeholder so far. Once again, what I've heard so far is beefy. :)
Hopefully the gas powered Assault Rifle will sound like a gas powered Assault Rifle.

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:
At the end of the lastest Sparkast is the new arrange Halo Theme(I think). Or use this link.

Sometimes I give the HBO forum a look, and that thread catched my interest.

That's awesome, the simple monk chant is so good. Loved it in the sequels when they brought women in on it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2O_MyhdjY4

So good.

ODST/Reach had decent soundtracks, but you just can't beat the mysterious/alien vibes from the trilogy music wise.

So many moments I can't wait to experience again, and mostly because of the music, lol. Under Cover of Night was such a perfect song for T&R. Going across that bridge on AotCR, then On a Pale Horse kicks in, you just knew it was time to take care of business.

<3 Marty. <3

Crucio

Domino Theory said:
You do realize that Halo 2 launched a year before the Xbox 360, right? Halo 4 will still be alive and well even after the 720's launch.

Halo 4 - Fall 2012
Xbox 720 - Fall 2013
Halo 5 - Fall 2014

This allows a whole year for the 720's install base to build and will keep 343i's new 2 year development cycle for Halo.
When did 343i announce that they were planning 2 year cycle? Just curious.

Havok

Ramirez said:
That's awesome, the simple monk chant is so good. Loved it in the sequels when they brought women in on it as well.

<3 Marty. <3
The remade/reimagined tracks in the games are always really neat to hear. A Walk in the Woods was one of my favorite CE tracks, and it's been released in every game but ODST, as Heretic, Hero in 2, Another Walk in Halo 3, and Walking Away in Reach (which I don't think actually appears in the game, unfortunately).

Domino Theory said:
Halo 4's release relative to Halo: Reach's and this: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/23/microsoft-one-halo-game-every-three-years-probably-not-frequen/

They don't want to annualize Halo (good) and don't want to have it be a 3 year cycle like it used to be (good). So the sweet spot is every 2 years.

Yeah they haven't explicitly said that two years is going to be the release window, but it makes sense. They know its not going to be three, and one year is ridiculous with one development team. Also, Halo 4 is coming out two years after Reach.

Tawpgun

Domino Theory said:
Halo 4's release relative to Halo: Reach's and this: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/23/microsoft-one-halo-game-every-three-years-probably-not-frequen/

They don't want to annualize Halo (good) and don't want to have it be a 3 year cycle like it used to be (good). So the sweet spot is every 2 years.
Good news. I hope they don't turn around and say thats just for the main games... Main games every 2 years. Spin-offs to fill the gaps.

Halo has more lasting power than most games. Take advantage of it.

feel

lybertyboy said:
So there's still hope for the sound of the Assault Rifle.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A27 Tawpgun said:
Good news. I hope they don't turn around and say thats just for the main games... Main games every 2 years. Spin-offs to fill the gaps.

Halo has more lasting power than most games. Take advantage of it.

Agreed. I would enjoy support for Halo titles similar to that of TF2. I know it can't exactly mimic the way TF2 handles it because of legal issues, certification, console limitations, etc., but they can come somewhat close.

343 has been discussing quite a bit about how they're committed to supporting their Halo titles and with a Titile Update and 7 new maps on the way, I believe it.

If Halo 4 needs a title update for any reason, release it. A new map or two, release it. A new FireFight space or two, release it. A new set of Forge palettes, release it. An extra campaign mission or two, release it.

They're 150+ strong right now, but by the time Halo 4 releases and beyond, it wouldn't be crazy to think they'll be over 200 strong and with 200+ people dedicated to ONE franchise, there's going to be leg room for having a group or two of people continuing support for the Halo that is on the market at that time.

Falt

Ramirez said:
Nice soundtrack, but it didn't remind me of Halo, all I meant. I'm listening to Neon Night right now, get off my back!

...and all along I had you figured as a dong artist, plain and simple.

Top Bottom