• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Striker

Bregmann Roche said:
I've said this before: I feel sorry for people who loved BTB in Halo 3 who are now stuck with BTB in Reach. If you've given up on Reach's MP please come back for Halo 4. The playerbase needs you.
Am I missing something, or is Halo 3 MP still active? Why do people say they "miss" something when it's assuredly available?

On that, I would pay big monies to play One Bomb on Headlong or Multi-CTF on Coagulation again over XBL. Nothing touches those.

Also, this week's Weekly:
suicide.gif

bobs99 ... said:
Thats a shame, I didnt realize it was him who decided to not continue, I just assumed that he has layed the foundations in Ghosts of Onyx for further stories and would want to flesh them out.
I could be completely wrong, but if it's not what he or others said (it being a few years ago now), it's certainly the impression it gave me.
Was why I was happily surprised when he was involved in Catherine's notebook for Reach last year.

Edit: Oh god, butters is looking at me. It's creepy.

Striker said:
Am I missing something, or is Halo 3 MP still active? Why do people say they "miss" something when it's assuredly available?

On that, I would pay big monies to play One Bomb on Headlong or Multi-CTF on Coagulation again over XBL. Nothing touches those.

Also, this week's Weekly:
ShmBG.gif

Halo 3 is technically still alive but have you tried playing it!?? You end up waiting 10 minuites + for matches only to play against Japanese hosts. This means that everyone except the host might as well be using origami bullets.

Thats pretty much every ranked playlist except Team Slayer in a nutshell. If you try and play any ranked playlist at a high level in more than a party of 2 you might aswell take a nap and come back the next morning. It will probably take that long to get a game.

As for Social, its still littered with bad gametypes. I can have fun on it but the connection is generally aweful. Maybe its technically more correct to say 'I miss the time when a Halo game I enjoyed was at its peak', but as a Halo 3 fan its pretty far from playable at the moment.

Halo 3 is still awesome for custom games when I can get a bunch of friends on though.

Halo Universe Panel Part 2 said:
The magnum is back, making its triumphant return!

Yeah, but in single player only so who cares? I dont quite think the single player crowd reveres the thing as much as the multiplayer crowd did.

If in Halo 4 they bring the pistol back but single player only and make a big deal of it I will facepalm.

Halo Universe Panel Part 2 said:
Its still a ton of fun to mow through people with this thing!

...Well yeah it would have been. :(

Halo Universe Panel Part 3 said:
Ancient evil to be defeated

Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood.

The terminal looked amazing, I cant wait to see more of those.

Crucio

The Halo Anniversary Terminals trailer looked great but we really couldn't see the beauty of it in the SDCC Panel video.
It should totally be presented on youtube at some point. ;)

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I have to respectfully disagree with them. If you keep adding toys the sandbox eventually it's going to suffer for that. That thinking is the same trap Bungie fell into in my opinion. It went from here is a selection of great weapons that are fun to well let's add a lot of weapons that replicate what others currently do. Then let's add more vehicles that replicate what others do. Then it's let's add equipment and armor abilities. Eventually you end up with a mess that is almost impossible to keep balanced or just not fun. Reach comes very close this this line. On top of this as you add weapons that do the same thing you then go well we have to make them all unique. Then you start changing how they work and trying different things just to make them different for the sake of trying to justify them being in.

To me multiplayer isn't so much how large the sandbox is. It's the design of said sandbox. To me the maps are a lot more important then adding more stuff. You can give me the same weapons, vehicles, etc and as long as there are new maps I'll be happy. Also modes. Give me new modes that use that sandbox differently. That's why I love Invasion almost as much as I do firefight and team slayer.

That's just my opinion on the subject.

I agree 100% with this, but hopefully Frankie simply meant that with each new game new stuff would be added that goes against the cannon but is still added for gameplay purposes. I really dont think he meant those words in terms of how the sandbox is balanced.

I agree with Booshka though, focusing on whats good in the past is better than starting again each time.

bobs99 ... said:
Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood. Please dont be the flood.

The terminal looked amazing, I cant wait to see more of those.
Are you reading Cryptum right now?

Aww, I just realized the combo of Comic-Con and HaloFest mean 343 probably won't be going to Gamescom (which ends a week or so before PAX starts). :(

*people-who-can't-afford-to-travel-to-NA group hug*

angelkimne said:
Aww, I just realized the combo of Comic-Con and HaloFest mean 343 probably won't be going to Gamescom (which ends a week or so before PAX starts). :(

*people-who-can't-afford-to-travel-to-NA group hug*
They want to be there. And maybe they will come. If not, I'll be going on the stage and show the GamesCom attender some awesome forge custom creation. Bring it on Microsoft, hire me for these 4 days!

Hypertrooper said:
Are you reading Cryptum right now?

Im not far enough through to understand the context of this. :p

I will say though that I am absolutely LOVING it so far. Seeing this sort of vision of how things where is crazy.
Human Prophet alliance...
What!??

I know a beast has been unleashed from the Precursor ruins on that world, Im hoping its not flood in origin, but I guess ill have to keep reading to find out. :p, Im fascinated by what currently seems to be a Halo ring testing. Really great book so far.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I have to respectfully disagree with them. If you keep adding toys the sandbox eventually it's going to suffer for that. That thinking is the same trap Bungie fell into in my opinion. It went from here is a selection of great weapons that are fun to well let's add a lot of weapons that replicate what others currently do. Then let's add more vehicles that replicate what others do. Then it's let's add equipment and armor abilities. Eventually you end up with a mess that is almost impossible to keep balanced or just not fun. Reach comes very close this this line. On top of this as you add weapons that do the same thing you then go well we have to make them all unique. Then you start changing how they work and trying different things just to make them different for the sake of trying to justify them being in.

To me multiplayer isn't so much how large the sandbox is. It's the design of said sandbox. To me the maps are a lot more important then adding more stuff. You can give me the same weapons, vehicles, etc and as long as there are new maps I'll be happy. Also modes. Give me new modes that use that sandbox differently. That's why I love Invasion almost as much as I do firefight and team slayer.

That's just my opinion on the subject.

I'm not talking about endlessly adding, I am talking about keeping it fresh by adding, subtracting, changing and updating. Ideally it's a balanced mixture of the new and the familiar.

wwm0nkey said:
Microsoft is doing a "play day" thing at Gamescom, maybe they will just have Halo CEA there.
Eh? Never heard about that. Source please. Right now, 343i is thinking about it. I hope that they will come, because I know a lot of german/european Halo fans, who wants to see Halo.

bobs99 ... said:
Im not far enough through to understand the context of this. :p

I will say though that I am absolutely LOVING it so far. Seeing this sort of vision of how things where is crazy.
Human Prophet alliance...
What!??

I know a beast has been unleashed from the Precursor ruins on that world, Im hoping its not flood in origin, but I guess ill have to keep reading to find out. :p, Im fascinated by what currently seems to be a Halo ring testing. Really great book so far.
Continue reading, young padawan.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hypertrooper said:
Eh? Never heard about that. Source please. Right now, 343i is thinking about it. I hope that they will come, because I know a lot of german/european Halo fans, who wants to see Halo.
We are sending top men. But not me. Even though I speak German. Sort of.

Tawpgun

OuterWorldVoice said:
I'm not talking about endlessly adding, I am talking about keeping it fresh by adding, subtracting, changing and updating. Ideally it's a balanced mixture of the new and the familiar.
Frankie saves again.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:

Here

A27 Tawpgun said:
Frankie saves again.
We really need to tally how many times he saves lol

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:

Ok that's good to hear. I can understand that for sure when it comes to Halo 4. However I don't want a good weapon set for 4 only to have doubles of things put in for 5 just for the sake of adding something new. Example say there is a forerunner equivalent of the covie plasma rifle. I don't want to see in 5 adding a faster firing version put in just to say hey see we added another weapon. And then 6 adding say a Precurser variation that is just basically the same weapon to just to have it and then saying Oh see we have another new weapon. Isn't that awesome?

OuterWorldVoice said:
We are sending top men. But not me. Even though I speak German. Sort of.
I'm going to test that, when I'm in Seattle. Is Ted coming again?(I hope his name was Ted) I played with Brian against Ted and Dominic a round FFVersus last year.

wwm0nkey said:
Maybe that is the reason, why I have to send my address etc. to a specific person at 343i...

Hydranockz said:
Mein kopf ist kaput!
Why do you speak german now, and not yesterday, when I was drunk. I could teach you naughty words like Mama or Papa.

I just realized when you spam the DMR it almost always hits the bottom half of the reticule. This must have been that fix they mentioned during the beta where people weren't getting headshots with the DMR so they made the bullets spread to the bottom way way more often? Anyways I'll be sure to be aiming high from now on when I'm forced into a spam situation. The NR appears to be about 60 below the center line/40 above when spammed. The pistol has HUGE bloom spread when fully automatic, way larger than the AR/PR/NR/DMR Which all generally have the same size circle crosshair for possibility of where bullets can go when spamming btw. Which is to be expected since a pistol doesn't have the large chamber to spin a bullet down increasing precision.

The AR bloom fully expanded never goes past the large crosshair of the AR. Either does the Plasma Repeater two weapons which should be penalized much harder by bloom. I really would have expected a fully bloomed AR/NR to go to a much bigger circle of possibility than the NR/DMR. Then again lets protect the casuals.

I think bloom was done pretty half-assed to be honest. It doesn't do much but balance all the weapons in a way thats really cheap. If I can aim faster than the enemy I should be allowed to get the kill, the game shouldn't limit me in that way. Just allows worse players to do equally well because of the time constraint bloom puts on wittier players.

I'd like to see bloom removed in the next Halo. It was good shaking things up but its just not right. At least not on my awesome hitscan DMR/BR. C'mon!

wwm0nkey

When do you guys think we are going to get our first look at what Halo 4 looks like in-game?

Halo 3 I think was EGM and Halo: Reach was Game Informer and both where around winter if I remember correctly.

wwm0nkey said:
When do you guys think we are going to get our first look at what Halo 4 looks like in-game?

Halo 3 I think was EGM and Halo: Reach was Game Informer and both where around winter if I remember correctly.
Halo 4 is a big story: First In-Engine/In-Game trailer at Spike's VGA. GameInformer will be the first US magazine and Edge the first european magazine.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Halo 4 is a big story: First In-Engine/In-Game trailer at Spike's VGA. GameInformer will be the first US magazine and Edge the first european magazine.
You know I almost forgot about the VGAs. That shit is so terrible its a job just to make it through till the trailers.

but yeah a VGA trailer would be good and build up hype.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:

Since this is a brand new series from a new developer I'd assume that MS wants to put a huge spotlight on it. Probably nothing until next year, and then only at big conferences like E3.
Especially since its so soon after Reach.

Hydranockz said:
Does Keyes still smoke a small box in Anniversary?

Does this mean what I think it means?

On Sandboxing:

I don't really have a problem with developers throwing everything they can into a game since it ultimately gives us more toys to play with. For something like matchmaking though, I would hope they would include only the most appropriate toys for the given playlist/map etc.

Also: Frankie can we please get a warthog with a flame thrower mounted on the back?

Hypertrooper said:
NPHdotGIF

My reasons are as follows:

1: In campaign it would kick ass to light up the flood (who will almost certainly be in Halo 4 in some form) while a friend drives you around.

C: In MP it would create an interesting dynamic of having to drive close enough to an enemy to light them on fire while avoiding grenades/AR fire/flaming-punches.

#ocho: It would be so freaking sweet to light an enemy on fire then watch him/her/it fly over the hood when your driver kill-steals you with the splatter.

MrBig said:
Sure, just reviewing some calculus in the mean time

NERD!

Halo 2 anniversary (or a similar HD upgrade) is a foregone conclusion at this point right? 343 probably want all chapters of the Halo saga to be in HD with achievements right? Also they like money...

Bregmann Roche said:
NERD!

Halo 2 anniversary (or a similar HD upgrade) is a foregone conclusion at this point right? 343 probably want all chapters of the Halo saga to be in HD with achievements right? Also they like money...

I hope thats not the logic behind it, what happens in a few years time when the technology advancement hits. Will all past Halo games then be remade for that?

In my mind the Halo 1 remake would have really only been worth it to finally bring the multiplayer to a wider audience. I have to say that im still going to get it, but its a missed opportunity.

Hypertrooper said:

Interesting. :p

FyreWulff said:
My 343 Report Card #1

Way too big to post to this thread, but some opinions on what I'd like 343 to do.

I agree with a lot of this, especially the Reach stuff. ESPECIALLY the Cr payout stuff if Reach is looking to have the lowest lifespan of all the Halo games so far. In a way im glad Reach support is dieing off already, im looking forward to moving on asap.

Im not sure frequent map packs are the best approach anyway though, I think a map pack every 3-4 months is good, anything more than that is pushing it.

As for Halo 3 Im not sure a bandaid approach would be best for Halo 3 matchmaking, but something needs to be done. I especially love the idea of rotating dexp playlists.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
My 343 Report Card #1

Way too big to post to this thread, but some opinions on what I'd like 343 to do.
Definitely agreed on the map pack frequency point. Reach started off so well, it seemed as though we might actually get some new maps every few months. The game desperately needs them, too, considering how many more gametypes need to be supported (specifically those that require specialized maps like Invasion and Big Team in terms of size - hopefully they've learned that these need to be separate maps). Alas, it is not to be. It might not be realistic, but I'd love to see a recurring contract deal with Certain Affinity to pump out new Reach maps on a regular basis. Their work has been solid in the past, and if some DLC handling improvements happen in the TU, like a DLC search restriction, then it could really improve Reach's health. I'd pay for any maps that come out at this point, no matter the frequency.

bobs99 ... said:
I hope thats not the logic behind it, what happens in a few years time when the technology advancement hits. Will all past Halo games then be remade for that?

The jump from SD to HD AND the jump from 4:3 to 16:9 represent a significant change in how we consume the content in Halo games. The only tech coming down the road in the next 10 years that they could justify re-re-doing the games for would be 3D and screw that noise.

I think part of 343's thinking may well be that by redoing the games they have a chance to fold the original games into their comprehensive vision of the Halo Universe. This way they can iron out some the kinks that would be there if they just left the original games hanging out there as relics or fossils of a time before the franchise was being curated/canonicified (to borrow a term from some guy on the internet).

And @Big: Not mad at you sir. Just mad at Mathematics in general and Calculus in particular.

Top Bottom