• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Part 2 is up.

At dinner, but my phone is having trouble finding the link.

Go to the HaloWaypoint YouTube page. :)

feel

^ yay! thanks

TrounceX said:
No the grenades in Reach are the best.

I'm that guy who gets the most lucky random grenade kills every game. It's so nice.
2qmesyq.jpg

TrounceX

Tunavi said:
I HATE YOU

Yeah and I have the best beat downs in the game too idk if you remember.

You guys better watch out for me. All I do is use grenades and beatdowns oh and armor lock too.

Yup I'm that guy.

feel

just did a 2min delayed boot to an annoying betrayer on slayer ranked who always wanted whatever power weapon I had... there was just one guy left in the other team so there was no pressure and I just checked gaf in the meantime. I pressed the boot button when the game said 10 seconds to go and turned out his douchey friend was playing on the same screen with his own gold account..... DOUBLE KILL

so good

Letters said:
just did a 2min delayed boot to an annoying betrayer on slayer ranked who always wanted whatever power weapon I had... there was just one guy left in the other team so there was no pressure and I just checked gaf in the meantime. I pressed the boot button when the game said 10 seconds to go and turned out his douchey friend was playing on the same screen with his own gold account..... DOUBLE KILL

so good
That's like the exact opposite of objective holding. I love it.

ElRenoRaven

So finally finished watching the entire panel. I have to say it was damn interesting. However I still maintain the last questioner was a freaking dumbass. That was the stupidest fucking question I've ever heard. Anyone with any common sense and that remotely has ever read an interview or article on Halo would know the damn answer.

That was such a waste of a last question.

Dan Ayoub: "How many people remember the first time they played 'Halo 1,' right? Wasn't it f***ing awesome?"

I cannot wait to meet this man. :lol

Love the shoutouts to HBO in the SDCC panel. Although I'm pretty pretty sure when Frank talks about Cryptum being a solid sci-fi novel even without Halo branding, he's referring to my posts in this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29422760&postcount=2047
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29423300&postcount=2050
Can't remember if I posted the same thing over at HBO (and it's highly possible someone else made a similar post there anyways).

Still, that made my day.
Man, I am such a nerd.

*rewatches panel videos to look for subtle Mike Dongblain references*

Tunavi

Banned
Man that last game of squad we played was pure halo bliss. No armor ability spam, no bad lag, not much grenade spam, very competitive, and the game was pretty close until the end. lots of good callouts too. 3 of them were high ranked in onyx, one was top 9 percent.

Shows how good this game can be if the armor abilities are made pick ups and grenades are toned down. And bloom can go too.

also, Dat 1.6 KD

GhaleonEB

Goddamn router. Back to Moderate NAT - again. Last time resetting the 360's networking settings to factory default fixed it. No such luck this time around.

GhaleonEB said:
Goddamn router. Back to Moderate NAT - again. Last time resetting the 360's networking settings to factory default fixed it. No such luck this time around.
I hate messing around with NAT types, so I just plug my 360 directly into the modem.

Booshka

lybertyboy said:
It's about to get a whole lot weirder. Here's part 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfR3nJTXL8I
For Frankie's last statement, "Halo is a sandbox game, so you need to keep adding toys to the sandbox to keep it fun." I would rather think of it as finding the best toys in that sandbox and playing with them forever, and throwing out the others to never be played with again.
i.e. playing Halo CE

ElRenoRaven

Booshka said:
For Frankie's last statement, "Halo is a sandbox game, so you need to keep adding toys to the sandbox to keep it fun." I would rather think of it as finding the best toys in that sandbox and playing with them forever, and throwing out the others to never be played with again.
i.e. playing Halo CE

Yea. I have to respectfully disagree with them. If you keep adding toys the sandbox eventually it's going to suffer for that. That thinking is the same trap Bungie fell into in my opinion. It went from here is a selection of great weapons that are fun to well let's add a lot of weapons that replicate what others currently do. Then let's add more vehicles that replicate what others do. Then it's let's add equipment and armor abilities. Eventually you end up with a mess that is almost impossible to keep balanced or just not fun. Reach comes very close this this line. On top of this as you add weapons that do the same thing you then go well we have to make them all unique. Then you start changing how they work and trying different things just to make them different for the sake of trying to justify them being in.

To me multiplayer isn't so much how large the sandbox is. It's the design of said sandbox. To me the maps are a lot more important then adding more stuff. You can give me the same weapons, vehicles, etc and as long as there are new maps I'll be happy. Also modes. Give me new modes that use that sandbox differently. That's why I love Invasion almost as much as I do firefight and team slayer.

That's just my opinion on the subject.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hop into big team, half my team quits and we begin to be spawn killed for another 3 rounds of 1 flag ctf. Get into another game of BTB half my team quits again, I'm in the wraith and my teammate shoots me until I die, and I'm not given the option to boot him. I love this game to death but it can be one of the most frustrating things ever at times, and it's making it harder and harder to come back on a regular basis when shit like this happens often.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I have to respectfully disagree with them. If you keep adding toys the sandbox eventually it's going to suffer for that. That thinking is the same trap Bungie fell into in my opinion. It went from here is a selection of great weapons that are fun to well let's add a lot of weapons that replicate what others currently do. Then let's add more vehicles that replicate what others do. Then it's let's add equipment and armor abilities. Eventually you end up with a mess that is almost impossible to keep balanced or just not fun. On top of this as you add weapons that do the same thing you then go well we have to make them all unique. Then you start changing how they work and trying different things just to make them different for the sake of trying to justify them being in.

To me multiplayer isn't so much how large the sandbox is. It's the design of said sandbox. To me the maps are a lot more important then adding more stuff. You can give me the same weapons, vehicles, etc and as long as there are new maps I'll be happy. Also modes. Give me new modes that use that sandbox differently. That's why I love Invasion almost as much as I do firefight and team slayer.

Agreed completely.

GhaleonEB

Hitmonchan107 said:
I hate messing around with NAT types, so I just plug my 360 directly into the modem.
That worked, but I don't want to crawl around under my desk messing with ethernet cables every time I want to play.

I've reset all hardware, restored factory defaults on the 360 and router, followed some very detailed port forwarding instructions, and that didn't do it. The weird thing is it's been oscillating from Open to Moderate; I'll get it set to Open somehow and it changes back a few days later. It never had this problem until recently when my cable connection went out, due to a service interruption. Since then, chaos. (I hauled a Comcast support guy into the house to inspect everything after.)

It's driving me insane. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to buy a new modem, but this is less than a year old, and they're not cheap.

I have the Linksys WRT54GL. Anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless router?

blamite

Tried out some Campaign Co-op matchmaking to finally get my commendation for assists (god that's an an annoying one). I ended up playing with a bunch of morons on Tip of the Spear, but I did have a funny little moment when I hijacked a Wraith.

Anybody mind rendering?

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh hit that credit limit again. Think its time to up it higher because that sucks makes me wanna goto sleep.

I honestly don't even get the point of still having that in the game. I can understand having it at the beginning to keep people from earning everything right away and being bored (even if I don't agree) but why now?

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
That worked, but I don't want to crawl around under my desk messing with ethernet cables every time I want to play.

I've reset all hardware, restored factory defaults on the 360 and router, followed some very detailed port forwarding instructions, and that didn't do it. The weird thing is it's been oscillating from Open to Moderate; I'll get it set to Open somehow and it changes back a few days later. It never had this problem until recently when my cable connection went out, due to a service interruption. Since then, chaos. (I hauled a Comcast support guy into the house to inspect everything after.)

It's driving me insane. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to buy a new modem, but this is less than a year old, and they're not cheap.

I have the Linksys WRT54GL. Anyone have a recommendation for a good wireless router?

DIR-655.

I set up Open NATs for people all day over the phone, real fun stuff.

If after you put the console in the DMZ and it still doesn't work, time for a new router, or try a Direct Modem Connection and see if that works. If still Moderate/Strict NAT on a modem, you're getting double NAT'd, and the only fix is to contact your ISP. (usually)

Go here: http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT54GL/4.30.0/Applications-DMZ.htm

Enable that for your console's static IP address.

GhaleonEB

blamite said:
Tried out some Campaign Co-op matchmaking to finally get my commendation for assists (god that's an an annoying one). I ended up playing with a bunch of morons on Tip of the Spear, but I did have a funny little moment when I hijacked a Wraith.

Anybody mind rendering?
Cooking.

Weekly done. I love me some Firefight but that was a lot of Firefight, and the payout - as I'd noted before - was proportionally 1/4 the past two Firefight Challenges. Someone tell me 343 is going to work on this.

The upside to Moderate NAT is, I've been host every game in Firefight since it changed. I'm having a hard time finding a problem with that.

MP tonight seemed really laggy, though. Not sure if it's related or not. I had to leave my last MP game because it was so bad I couldn't land shots. I don't think anyone in the party could hear me, either.
darthbob said:
DIR-655.

I set up Open NATs for people all day over the phone, real fun stuff.

If after you put the console in the DMZ and it still doesn't work, time for a new router, or try a Direct Modem Connection and see if that works. If still Moderate/Strict NAT on a modem, you're getting double NAT'd, and the only fix is to contact your ISP. (usually)

Go here: http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT54GL/4.30.0/Applications-DMZ.htm

Enable that for your console's static IP address.
Done. That did it. I've been working on this on and off for two weeks solid.

I love you.

xxjuicesxx said:
Ughh hit that credit limit again. Think its time to up it higher because that sucks makes me wanna goto sleep.
Playing for credits is lame. But having a credit cap on a credit driven game is really lame.

darthbob

GhaleonEB said:
Done. That did it. I've been working on this on and off for two weeks solid.

I love you.

I'm glad that did the trick. Be sure to leave the console's IP address as Static, and if you'd like, make a DHCP reservation for your console's MAC address and/or IP address (doesn't matter, as long as they don't conflict)

Mainly, because if it changes, you're back to Strict NAT.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hitmonchan107 said:
Dan Ayoub: "How many people remember the first time they played 'Halo 1,' right? Wasn't it f***ing awesome?"

I cannot wait to meet this man. :lol
Dan's a cool cat. You'd like him.

Really enjoyed watching the pannel, it got me really exited for halo fest which I can't attend sadly.

I still hope there will be something, maybe just one of the maps that come with anniversery, halo related on Gamescon this year.

Gui_PT

Panel was great, thanks for the links guys.

I noticed they changed the floor "tiles" on forerunner structures. I loved those tiles, no buy =(

Just kidding, game looks amazing, this is a must buy. You can see all the love that's being put in it

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I have to respectfully disagree with them. If you keep adding toys the sandbox eventually it's going to suffer for that. That thinking is the same trap Bungie fell into in my opinion. It went from here is a selection of great weapons that are fun to well let's add a lot of weapons that replicate what others currently do. Then let's add more vehicles that replicate what others do. Then it's let's add equipment and armor abilities. Eventually you end up with a mess that is almost impossible to keep balanced or just not fun. Reach comes very close this this line. On top of this as you add weapons that do the same thing you then go well we have to make them all unique. Then you start changing how they work and trying different things just to make them different for the sake of trying to justify them being in.

Great post. Sums up my feelings on the subject.

watching the Halo panel just makes me wish Eric Nylund was getting a chance to continue his Ghosts of Onyx story. I get the feeling that Karen Travis gets it and will do the fiction great work, but for me Eric Nylund is the dude who fleshed out Oni and made them something I wanted to know more about, im kind of resentful that someone else is taking over from that as its Nylunds vision im really interested in. It seems like he 'invented' those persona's and it seems like the direction will change with a new writer. If it wasnt for him laying out the foundations then a lot of the extended fiction wouldnt be as interesting in my opinion.

That said I dont quite know how much of that came from his imagination or how much came from Bungies original brief.

I will say that im extremely excited about the fact that Greg Bear is laying the foundation for the Forerunner stuff. Its taken the mystery away from them but now im really interested in the Precursors. :p

bobs99 ... said:
watching the Halo panel just makes me wish Eric Nylund was getting a chance to continue his Ghosts of Onyx story. I get the feeling that Karen Travis gets it and will do the fiction great work, but for me Eric Nylund is the dude who fleshed out Oni and made them something I wanted to know more about, im kind of resentful that someone else is taking over from that as its Nylunds vision im really interested in. It seems like he 'invented' those persona's and it seems like the direction will change with a new writer. If it wasnt for him laying out the foundations then a lot of the extended fiction wouldnt be as interesting in my opinion.
Her personality at panels has always turned me off/dampened my interest, I can only assume Frankie & co have full confidence (Tobias / Cole Protocol urgh) in her quality, as I haven't read any of her other stuff.
I got the impression that Nylund didn't want to do Halo novels any more, didn't want to be type-cast I'd guess.

Zeouterlimits said:
Her personality at panels has always turned me off/dampened my interest, I can only assume Frankie & co have full confidence (Tobias / Cole Protocol urgh) in her quality, as I haven't read any of her other stuff.
I got the impression that Nylund didn't want to do Halo novels any more, didn't want to be type-cast I'd guess.

Thats a shame, I didnt realize it was him who decided to not continue, I just assumed that he has layed the foundations in Ghosts of Onyx for further stories and would want to flesh them out.

Top Bottom