• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

Ramirez

We all know that the next Xbox will launch with Perfect Dark 0-2.

Yes, Gui, Frankie said the music has been updated. Probably the most exciting thing about the project for me.

I want the following -Transport hogs, Choppers, Falcon that can carry a passenger, heck even a Hornet. Alas.

Still cant believe how nice CEA is looking. Those terminals..

FyreWulff

Domino Theory said:
So when can we expect 343i's first matchmaking update? And who's in charge of it?

The soonest one is probably September. The August 2nd "update" will just be the one that officially transitions matchmaking control from Bungie to 343. I imagine Aug 2nd is just going to be bugfixes and the next month of Super Jackpot Weekends.

Speaking of which, we should be seeing the final Bungie Vidoc for Halo soon.

Gui_PT

Ramirez said:
We all know that the next Xbox will launch with Perfect Dark 0-2.

Yes, Gui, Frankie said the music has been updated. Probably the most exciting thing about the project for me.

Tha Robbertster said:
Yep, I thought on the skywalker ranch.

Oh sweet. That's probably the biggest selling point for me now.

Matchmaking is absurd in this game.

Played a couple of hours of Team Slayer in a party of 3. Two of us are reasonably good and the other is okay. The first few matches were pretty standard - groups of randoms, the occasional team of two and a standout player here and there. Then for whatever reason we had several matches against absolute newbs. Recruits/sergeants, groups of splitscreeners etc. I got two perfections and a whole bunch of sprees, just destroying these people (I felt bad at some points). At this point, we had won every match that night. After a few more standard fare matches we finally got 2 matches against two different teams of 4. Both of which proceeded to destroy our team. While I managed to finish positive in both, the rest of my team was not so lucky and we ended up calling it a night.

To sum up, some decent matches for a bit, then absolute noobs for several games, then a couple teams of psychopaths. It just makes no sense - I cannot fathom what the matchmaking system is actually doing besides throwing me into mostly lag free matches. I'd tell it search based on skill but matchmaking is already slow as fuck.

The new main menu looks amazing. It's going to be a shame seeing the fancy new halo blowing up in glorious HD in the end
actually nvm

Hitmonchan107 said:
Are terrible questions a staple of Halo panels, or was it just a bad batch?
Terrible questions are a staple of all video game panels.

Go into any thread on the gaming side. Take every asinine question posed on the first few pages and read them aloud to yourself. Now imagine someone just asked any one of those questions over a microphone in an auditorium full of nerds. It can no longer be ignored like it would be on a forum. Revel in the awkward silence that presses down on the room as the game dev on the panel tries to find a way to respond without A) sounding like a jerk or B) creating bad PR.

Sometimes I feel really bad for the people asking the questions. But I always feel worse for the people that have to answer them.

CEA looks amazing. I think it would be cool to have the flamethrower hidden on The Library and Keyes. It was supposed to be in the game originally. I know this is supposed to stay true to the original but they could use the Halo PC flamethrower and hide it. Would be cool. Alas I ramble.

Ken

From the Space Marine thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sauohmM3D_Q#t=0m7s

Which got me wondering: Would jetpacks in Reach be as problematic if they were designed like (how I think) Warhammer jump packs are designed (a single but high altitude jump, long cooldown)?

Letters said:
and I felt very embarrassed for the dude from the audience that said cock of doody on the mic... yikes!!

Which video and at what time was this?

Also, the "yikes" reminded me of this terrible Ubisoft presentation at E3.

MrBig

Amazingly minimal amount of lag, and all of us were in different parts of the world.

e: so apparently some people from the MLG community are already being called in to work with H4...

Ken

Zee-V70 said:
You just described Brute Jetpack jumps, dude.

Sure, but that's not the jetpack in multiplayer.

Also, forgive me for not remembering Jump Pack Brutes, a memorable enemy and the founder of the "high altitude, single jump" ability.

Thank you guys for helping me!

So there are still the two ODST Vidmaster.(Endure and that with the elephant.)

MrBig said:
Amazingly minimal amount of lag, and all of us were in different parts of the world.

e: so apparently some people from the MLG community are already being called in to work on H4...
Not really, Overdoziz, Robbster and I are living side by side. But it was fun :)

MrBig said:

e: so apparently some people from the MLG community are already being called in to work with H4...

What, from who did you hear that?

FyreWulff

Ken said:
From the Space Marine thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sauohmM3D_Q#t=0m7s

Which got me wondering: Would jetpacks in Reach be as problematic if they were designed like (how I think) Warhammer jetpacks are designed (a single but high jetpack jump, long cooldown)?

Which video and at what time was this?

Also, the "yikes" reminded me of this terrible Ubisoft presentation at E3.

There was a reference to a "High Jump" or similiar AA in beta data for Reach. Bungie more than likely considered an AA that was just a high jump.

Ken

Tha Robbertster said:
So a bit like the ODST's on Exodus use it, right? I'd like it but I don't think we'll see it happen in Reach.

In my first playthrough of Reach, one of the Bullfrog ODSTs next to the jet pack pick-up area walked off the starting platform and died, but sure.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
There was a reference to a "High Jump" or similiar AA in beta data for Reach. Bungie more than likely considered an AA that was just a high jump.
And I'd distinguish a jetpack from a jumppack, which is what's on display in the Warhammer video (and is how the ODST's in the Campaign used the jetpack, as Tha Robbertster noted).

A jumppack would be much less problematic from a MP gameplay standpoint, eliminating most of the issues jetpacks present, especially with factors such as cool downs or limited uses.

Ken said:
In my first playthrough of Reach, one of the Bullfrog ODSTs next to the jet pack pick-up area walked off the starting platform and died, but sure.

I know, one or two will always commit suicide because they fly against something. I've givven up saving them from their own stupidety.

There's one important thing I'd like to ask about H:Anniversary to Frankie/libertyboy
Will I be able to play the defiant and noble map packs through the Anniversary disc?

I have been away for a couple days.

Any interesting Halo 4/Reach/CEA news?

EDIT:

I noticed on waypoint the other day that one of the tool of destruction icons is a teleporter and it's named "telefrag"

It's not possible in Reach but maybe they can bring it back in the title update?

MrBig said:

Link?

The Real Napsta said:
I noticed on waypoint the other day that one of
the tool of destruction icons is a teleporter and it's
named "telefrag" It's not possible in Reach but maybe they can bring
it back in the title update?
Nice find!

Ramirez

MrBig said:
It was not a forum post and is not something I can share.

Um, you kind of already shared it.

Pretty sure there's a rule on GAF about saying something and then not elaborating on it. Used to be anyways...

FyreWulff said:
Bungie brought in MLG players for test on Halo 2 and Halo 3. It wouldn't be anything new.
I think it was more the fact that 343 are at the "Get some MLG playrs for their input" stage of development rather than the notion that they are getting MLG players.

Top Bottom