• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
when did regular team slayer turn into a playlist consisting of 99%
shitty
community maps?

kylej

Banned
Credit rewards should increase exponentially with win streaks in matchmaking. 10 game win streak = 20% increase in credits, etc

wwm0nkey

kylej said:
Credit rewards should increase exponentially with win streaks in matchmaking. 10 game win streak = 20% increase in credits, etc
That would be nice.

There a lot of things that they could do to the Cr system to make it better.

Again though would prefer Halo 2/3 individual playlist ranks over top the Cr ranks and have Cr just mostly be for armor.

Louis Wu

i nerini del buio said:
There's one important thing I'd like to ask about H:Anniversary to Frankie/libertyboy
Will I be able to play the defiant and noble map packs through the Anniversary disc?
This was a couple of (big) pages ago, but I wasn't on last night.

The answer is no (even though I'm not Frankie or David). However, your purchase of Anniversary will allow you to download the new Reach maps to your hard drive - so you can play all DLC together from your Reach disc.

op_ivy

PsychoRaven said:
Don't freaking remind me. I loved Team Slayer and they went and ruined it with the shitty community maps.

yeah. i'd prefer the game options of squad and team slayer to reverse, that is no armor lock or community maps for team slayer and both for squad. i prefer 4 on 4 as it doesnt become a clusterfuck of grenade spam and charging ARs nearly as often.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone get their Enfu poster yet? Mine hasn't shipped and I ordered it a few weeks back when it came out. I move in a week and am worried that it will go to my old place...

op_ivy said:
yeah. i'd prefer the game options of squad and team slayer to reverse, that is no armor lock or community maps for team slayer and both for squad. i prefer 4 on 4 as it doesnt become a clusterfuck of grenade spam and charging ARs nearly as often.

Also change Halo 3 Social Slayer back to 4v4 thanks.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious: does anyone like any of the community maps currently in rotation?

I love Kingdom, and Enclosed is half way alright.

ElRenoRaven

omg.kittens said:
I'm curious: does anyone like any of the community maps currently in rotation?

I love Kingdom, and Enclosed is half way alright.

Nope. Treasury is the closest I come to liking any of them and even then I can take it or leave it.

op_ivy

i really like crown of flies, but that seems like its been dropped. most of the community maps are playable, but certainly nothing special. it just sucks that the reach maps rarely show up in the voting for TS

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
I'm a big fan of Affinity.
Sarcasm? Affinity and Think Twice are my least favorite maps.

Select is great for dubs but its way too open for 4v4. Enclosed and Kingdom are pretty good.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Sarcasm? Affinity and Think Twice are my least favorite maps.

Select is great for dubs but its way too open for 4v4. Enclosed and Kingdom are pretty good.

No. I'm the one that submitted Affinity. Hence I'm a big fan of it. :p

op_ivy

affinitry suffers from what a lot of the community maps suffer from... it feels so fucking HUGE and oversized. i love a dance floor, and room to breathe, but its waaay over done here and if your caught in the open you are screwed.

EDIT: just saw the above post, no offense :p

FyreWulff

Well, I originally submitted it for BTB like the author wanted, Bungie saw fit to use it otherwise.

You can't please everyone 100% with any map though. If you don't have tough skin when dealing with community content or having your own content out there, you're probably not cut out for the job

FYI, the two PAX tickets I had are currently reserved for Devin Olsen. If he finds a 3-day pass or something I'll post em again, but otherwise they are taken.

Here is the list I had from a month or so ago:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB Lake Minnetonka Mysterious Junior Member #3
Willeth
darthbob

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Any additions/changes?

Louis Wu said:
This was a couple of (big) pages ago, but I wasn't on last night.

The answer is no (even though I'm not Frankie or David). However, your purchase of Anniversary will allow you to download the new Reach maps to your hard drive - so you can play all DLC together from your Reach disc.
I wasn't aware of the confirmation that CEA won't load Noble and Defiant, although I'm not surprised. That simplifies DLC integration a bit (bringing it down to 8 possible combinations from 11).

Deadly Cyclone said:
Anyone get their Enfu poster yet? Mine hasn't shipped and I ordered it a few weeks back when it came out. I move in a week and am worried that it will go to my old place...
I almost bought one of the Bungie Town posters just to see if Enfu snuck in any Destiny logos or clues. Hopefully when people start getting them I can find a high-res photo to inspect (NOT a scan, I don't need anything print-worthy).

Oh Fyrewulff has an out of bounds opinion on something? Weird.

Huge amount of BK's cleansed this morning. Good work everyone.

kylej said:
12/12 wins, 3.0 k/d average. The blain train has stopped for the morning. Team Objective is safe for now guys, you're very welcome.

Weaksauce. 5.5 K/D avg. 4 no death games once Risen joined helped. Final 27-0 1-flag was blaintastic.

kylej

Banned
12/12 wins, 3.0 k/d average. The blain train has stopped for the morning. Team Objective is safe for now guys, you're very welcome.

Risen

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh Fyrewulff has an out of bounds opinion on something? Weird.

Huge amount of BK's cleansed this morning. Good work everyone.

Weaksauce. 5.5 K/D avg. 4 no death games once Risen joined helped. Final 27-0 1-flag was blaintastic.

So many bad people makes me sleepy...

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:

That's because you have no Halo honor. I was playing the Objective. Shame on you.

kylej

Banned
Risen said:
We were in Team Objective?

Juices was slaying unnecessarily. That's not what this game is about, it's about sportsmanship and being nice.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Really got to start that cleansed list.

That shit would be hilarious. Juices stop being lazy and register thebkcleansing.com

Risen

A27 Tawpgun said:
Really got to start that cleansed list.

onwer mats
XShaolinMonksX
Ulquiarlus
jcut u up
ARB3 Shotgun360
ARB3 Shotgun360 (G)
Ulquiarlus (likes his colon cleansed apparently)
Kingzilla245
X Digital Ace X
master naruto6
Hu Hu Humpy
BX JA3MS
T0XiC KiLl3r
SHlPSHAPE
Steak 111
KEEG4NO
GoDx Thor x
KLEEN TEA
ohchicka
FuriousAunt0
killerstar137
k0nstentine
WHaxX0n
crispycritterss

CLEANSED

kylej said:
Juices was slaying unnecessarily. That's not what this game is about, it's about sportsmanship and being nice.

Well... I did run around with Focus Rifles, Plasma Pistols, and Magnums... that seemed nice.

There are many community maps that I enjoy.

There are many community maps that I do not enjoy.

Some of them are just not in an ideal playlist.

I really want to play Kingdom with Classic movement settings.

FyreWulff said:
No. I'm the one that submitted Affinity. Hence I'm a big fan of it. :p

Any idea what the deal was with Infection maps? Obi Wan Stevobi submitted the remake of Barts Manor pretty early on, and aside from some very positive feedback, I didn't hear back on whether it got accepted.

I know you were looking for infection maps on behalf of CC - any ideas why it didn't go in?

Bregmann Roche said:
There are many community maps that I enjoy.

There are many community maps that I do not enjoy.

Some of them are just not in an ideal playlist.

I really want to play Kingdom with Classic movement settings.

I wish my newer creation Majesty had got in the final wave - Nokyard submitted it, but sadly no luck.

wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else think they should do another huge Ad Campaign like they did with Halo 3 and bring this back.

Mt_Dew_Game_Fuel_20oz_Bottle_(Final).jpg

I miss that. I also miss that scale of advertising. Halo 3 really felt epic, like something special. I remember how pumped I was seeing it everywhere. I hope they can capture that for Halo 4. Reach was under advertised IMO.

FyreWulff

Sikamikanico said:
Any idea what the deal was with Infection maps? Obi Wan Stevobi submitted the remake of Barts Manor pretty early on, and aside from some very positive feedback, I didn't hear back on whether it got accepted.

I know you were looking for infection maps on behalf of CC - any ideas why it didn't go in?

I saw that and tested it, and we got a object-reduced version later on that fixed framerate, so it was good to go.. I think Bungie just simply ran out of time for the handoff. There was word of another Community playlist to arrive eventually, aswell, but I think Jeremiah actually publically posted about that one somewhere
Community Race
so I would imagine 343 is going to pick up where they left off.

When/if 343 opens the gates for community content, I'm going to start advertising Zombie Cartographers again so that there are plenty of selections for any sort of special Halloween playlist.

wwm0nkey

Demoncarnotaur said:
I miss that. I also miss that scale of advertising. Halo 3 really felt epic, like something special. I remember how pumped I was seeing it everywhere. I hope they can capture that for Halo 4. Reach was under advertised IMO.
ODST and Reach didnt really have much or good advertising at all.

Live Action videos on youtube are cool and all but not good advertising. They need to do more stuff like Halo 3. Halo 3 did advertising right.

op_ivy said:
i really like crown of flies, but that seems like its been dropped. most of the community maps are playable, but certainly nothing special. it just sucks that the reach maps rarely show up in the voting for TS
Thanks, I keep telling myself that it was too good for Reach. ;-)

There's plenty of good community maps
I think Forge is an awesome piece of code, but when it becomes a filler because of lack of good retail maps... well, that's no good.
Basically they should rename BTB BFB, big forge battle :/

edit. Speaking of BTB, why are Spire and Boneyard still in that awful state? Spire in particular could be a good asymm. obj. map

FyreWulff

Risen said:
how did the frame rate issues with Forge Maps get by testing?

Apparent differences between 360s (some launch ones seem to not like Forge maps at all, some Slims have no problem with them) + People having different levels of sensitivity to framerate = some might slip through the cracks.

I tried to test maps even harder later on by doing this with one of my Affinity test films:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=16227493&player=FyreWulff

Gave everyone 110% shields and switched on Supershields so everyone would be on fire, aka throwing the kitchen sink at the map and seeing what happens.

It would help more if we could watch films in splitscreen locally, but the only way to judge a film's framerate in split is to play it split.

Ramirez

kylej said:
Ram and I were playing on some Forge monstrosity last night and this happened.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21279185&player=jelyk

After trying and going down 11-0, the bad kid returns to its natural habitat: dumb map exploit areas.

I was really stunned when I watched this, reminded me of the Halo 2 glory days when people just wanted to break the maps more than play the game.

All of the community maps are terrible, I simply do not care if Forge returns, I know it probably will, but I've never played anything on Forge that I couldn't live without. Real maps>>>>>>>>>>>>Forge creations.

Risen

FyreWulff said:
Apparent differences between 360s (some launch ones seem to not like Forge maps at all, some Slims have no problem with them) + People having different levels of sensitivity to framerate = some might slip through the cracks.

That makes a certain sort of sense... but I've played Reach on Gen 1 360's all the way through new slims and experienced it regularly. Now... my eyes may pick it up more readily than others... but it would seem that in testing, enough testers would have seen it and reported it.

It's been regular enough that I wonder if Bungie was just in love with the idea of Forge World and intentionally overlooked it - or if it was too late in design to scrap such a big part of the game?

FyreWulff said:
Crown of Flies was really well received with every community I recruited for test. Here is one of the test films:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=13464490

If you want to peruse some other test sessions of submitted maps, most of them still exist in my File Sets:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileSets.aspx?player=FyreWulff&set=32250
Thanks so much for keeping that film; I'll be watching it when I get home. I have to admit I was a little let down that CoF didn't make the cut, because I never heard many complaints during testing aside from an odd spawn that wasn't any more out of line than in a regular Bungie map. Still, I have to be happy that it made it into the Community Slayer playlist at all (I rightly earned that star nameplate, dammit!).

Risen said:
how did the frame rate issues with Forge Maps get by testing?
No idea, but I have to assume that it was noticed and put on low importance. For something that was supposed to keep matchmaking fresh and somewhat exciting, I'm kind of disappointed in the overall quality of Forge World. Even a blank Quarry section will still give you framerate issues along one of the rock walls, so most object-rich maps don't stand a chance at playing smoothly. I still forge a lot, but my initial hopes for Forge World have been dashed, to put it mildly.

Ramirez said:
I was really stunned when I watched this, reminded me of the Halo 2 glory days when people just wanted to break the maps more than play the game.

All of the community maps are terrible, I simply do not care if Forge returns, I know it probably will, but I've never played anything on Forge that I couldn't live without. Real maps>>>>>>>>>>>>Forge creations.
I agree for the most part, but I really really liked Onslaught and Amplified.

Butane123

Tunavi said:
Why didn't jackal creek make it into BTB? This map looks awesome.
Donnu. It was submitted though.

I know one of mine was submitted right at the very beginning for objective only, and the only complaint on it was oddball and two rooms underneath the bases (I said not to try that gametype on it >_>). Everyone else seemed to like it, however, I never heard what happened to it, and it never went into any playlists.

There are a lot of maps that got submitted that I think were great, but never have made it into any rotations.

Top Bottom