• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

FyreWulff

Risen said:
That makes a certain sort of sense... but I've played Reach on Gen 1 360's all the way through new slims and experienced it regularly. Now... my eyes may pick it up more readily than others... but it would seem that in testing, enough testers would have seen it and reported it.

It's been regular enough that I wonder if Bungie was just in love with the idea of Forge World and intentionally overlooked it - or if it was too late in design to scrap such a big part of the game?

If you understand how LOD, Line of Sight, and other things work, your map will generally fare better in terms of framerate. There was a reason why the remake maps use so many "cheater" pieces that are literally Halo 2 geometry - because Bungie had to keep the object count down to keep the framerate stable.

More authors should understand that there should be as few opportunities for any player to be looking at the whole map at any one point - Crown of Flies and Affinity are two examples where I notice that the author did a good job of preventing this.

Secondly, more people should use the advantage of object culling and use more "perf walls" to keep the framerate up, just sort of any solid feature in the middle of any fairly large map that blocks visibility will improve a maps' framerate. The hills and cliffs in Blood Gulch, the center wall in Avalanche, the central building on Longshore are all things that help keep frames up because they occlude larges portions of the map where the player is at. A lot of community maps try to go for wide and open with tons of detail but don't also implement something that encourages players to only view half the map or block parts of the map from view. This is why window pieces seem to create lag, because if you use them in place of actual solid walls, they don't occlude what's behind them (since they're clear) and just end up costing framerate instead of helping.

My first order of business when I came across a new map was to go into it in Basic Editing Forge and see if I could get the map to start discoing (where all the objects start flashing) in single screen mode. If it did this I IMMEDIATELY always notified the author that they needed to object reduce, because if I was able to induce discoing just being on a normal section of the map, it was going to disco in split very easily. If I could float above it as a monitor and it still didn't disco, even better.

I think what Bungie intended for Reach's Forge World is that they would let you make maps that push the game more this time around instead of Halo 3 where it was basically impossible to make a map that could hurt framerate, with tons more added budget and object count. They followed very stringent rules when creating the example remakes and maps (Asylum uses the most Building objects, and that's only 6 out of the maximum 10 - Hem uses 4, Pinnacle uses 4, and Cage/Uncaged uses 3).

So then we're stuck in a catch 22 where it's technically possible to Forge maps that work well in 4 player split, but most people want the maps to look 'nice' (both authors and players), so Bungie went for the 2-person-split benchmark, and even some maps are just going to encroach on that as well. Probably the hardest thing to get a few authors to do was object-reduce. It was like I insulted their mom and kicked a baby in front of them, but I kept the pressure on.

I have a saying that you should finish a map, and then realize that no, you CAN make it with less objects, so go back and object reduce even if you think it doesn't need it. The closer you are to <5000$ total budget the better:

4850$ - Asylum
2700$ - Hemorrhage
3130$ - Pinnacle

edit: holy shit this post looked smaller when I was writing it out :lol

Homeboyd

Tunavi said:
Why didn't jackal creek make it into BTB? This map looks awesome.
It made it to the right people. I vouched for it.

He's got a successor that he likes better though now. "Pioneer" I believe it's called. I always loved Jackal Creek.

Demoncarnotaur said:
I miss that. I also miss that scale of advertising. Halo 3 really felt epic, like something special. I remember how pumped I was seeing it everywhere. I hope they can capture that for Halo 4. Reach was under advertised IMO.

Yeah I remember Bungie was saying the MS had a huge marketing run for Reach, but I remember not seeing much advertising for Reach at all.

FyreWulff said:
If you understand how LOD, Line of Sight, and other things work, your map will generally fare better in terms of framerate. There was a reason why the remake maps use so many "cheater" pieces that are literally Halo 2 geometry - because Bungie had to keep the object count down to keep the framerate stable.

More authors should understand that there should be as few opportunities for any player to be looking at the whole map at any one point - Crown of Flies and Affinity are two examples where I notice that the author did a good job of preventing this.

Secondly, more people should use the advantage of object culling and use more "perf walls" to keep the framerate up, just sort of any solid feature in the middle of any fairly large map that blocks visibility will improve a maps' framerate. The hills and cliffs in Blood Gulch, the center wall in Avalanche, the central building on Longshore are all things that help keep frames up because they occlude larges portions of the map where the player is at. A lot of community maps try to go for wide and open with tons of detail but don't also implement something that encourages players to only view half the map or block parts of the map from view. This is why window pieces seem to create lag, because if you use them in place of actual solid walls, they don't occlude what's behind them (since they're clear) and just end up costing framerate instead of helping.

My first order of business when I came across a new map was to go into it in Basic Editing Forge and see if I could get the map to start discoing (where all the objects start flashing) in single screen mode. If it did this I IMMEDIATELY always notified the author that they needed to object reduce, because if I was able to induce discoing just being on a normal section of the map, it was going to disco in split very easily. If I could float above it as a monitor and it still didn't disco, even better.

I think what Bungie intended for Reach's Forge World is that they would let you make maps that push the game more this time around instead of Halo 3 where it was basically impossible to make a map that could hurt framerate, with tons more added budget and object count. They followed very stringent rules when creating the example remakes and maps (Asylum uses the most Building objects, and that's only 6 out of the maximum 10 - Hem uses 4, Pinnacle uses 4, and Cage/Uncaged uses 3).

So then we're stuck in a catch 22 where it's technically possible to Forge maps that work well in 4 player split, but most people want the maps to look 'nice' (both authors and players), so Bungie went for the 2-person-split benchmark, and even some maps are just going to encroach on that as well. Probably the hardest thing to get a few authors to do was object-reduce. It was like I insulted their mom and kicked a baby in front of them, but I kept the pressure on.

I have a saying that you should finish a map, and then realize that no, you CAN make it with less objects, so go back and object reduce even if you think it doesn't need it. The closer you are to <5000$ total budget the better:

4850$ - Asylum
2700$ - Hemorrhage
3130$ - Pinnacle

edit: holy shit this post looked smaller when I was writing it out :lol
In the case of Asylum, it is just gawd awful forging. There are forged Sanctuary maps out there that use many more objects and more budget used and their frame rate is much much much better.

Asylum is also just unbelievably shitty in terms of just being similar to Sanctuary. The lines of sight are very different. (That's not really a comment on the forging, just thought I'd share my shock of Bungie's worst map remake.)

FyreWulff

squidhands said:
Thanks so much for keeping that film; I'll be watching it when I get home. I have to admit I was a little let down that CoF didn't make the cut, because I never heard many complaints during testing aside from an odd spawn that wasn't any more out of line than in a regular Bungie map. Still, I have to be happy that it made it into the Community Slayer playlist at all (I rightly earned that star nameplate, dammit!).

Here's a Youtube mirror, if you want to embed it in HD anywhere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnq1ND-ZpWM

That was the first and probably last test film I mirrored to Youtube. I wanted to back all the test films up to it, but some of those HD versions are near a gig, which means I'd be using 1GB to download them then 1GB to upload them to YouTube.. would have taken forever and pissed off my ISP.

Risen

FyreWulff said:

I guess for my money, any frame rate issue is bad, whether lessened by object placement or object number - particularly when success in a game is measured in milliseconds.

Forge World is definitely a nice idea - and if it had zero frame rate issue, and a larger palette/more options, I'd say it would be an outstanding addition to Reach's feature set. For me, it's another "close" but "not quite" part of Reach.

FyreWulff

Risen said:
I guess for my money, any frame rate issue is bad, whether lessened by object placement or object number - particularly when success in a game is measured in milliseconds.

Forge World is definitely a nice idea - and if it had zero frame rate issue, and a larger palette/more options, I'd say it would be an outstanding addition to Reach's feature set. For me, it's another "close" but "not quite" part of Reach.

An interesting feature of the Far Cry 2 editor is that you can actually place Occlusion Boxes.. I don't remember if the 360 version has that object (I traded it in after finding out it had no Legacy), but I know for sure the PC version does. It's just an invisible object during gameplay but forces the game to not draw everything behind it, so if you have an object heavy map you can place these in strategic areas to not draw objects the players don't need to see.

My ideal real-time map editor (Without going all the way to PC style compile-based tools) would have:

- The Terrain and foliage editor of Far Cry 2
- Timesplitters map editor for construction the inside of buildings or bases (or for indoor maps)
- Halo style Forge for placing spawns, weapons, and scenery objects

Far Cry 2 is great for big terrain maps but sucks at making small arena or indoor maps ala Midship or Lockout. Timesplitters is great for indoor maps but is "hell no" for big outdoor style maps. Both suck at scenery and weapon/spawn editing, which Halo is great at.

Havok

FyreWulff said:
An interesting feature of the Far Cry 2 editor is that you can actually place Occlusion Boxes.. I don't remember if the 360 version has that object (I traded it in after finding out it had no Legacy), but I know for sure the PC version does. It's just an invisible object during gameplay but forces the game to not draw everything behind it, so if you have an object heavy map you can place these in strategic areas to not draw objects the players don't need to see.

My ideal real-time map editor (Without going all the way to PC style compile-based tools) would have:

- The Terrain and foliage editor of Far Cry 2
- Timesplitters map editor for construction the inside of buildings or bases (or for indoor maps)
- Halo style Forge for placing spawns, weapons, and scenery objects

Far Cry 2 is great for big terrain maps but sucks at making small arena or indoor maps ala Midship or Lockout. Timesplitters is great for indoor maps but is "hell no" for big outdoor style maps. Both suck at scenery and weapon/spawn editing, which Halo is great at.
I would love to see a PC mapmaking application with some sort of 'export to Xbox' function. Just imagining what people could do with real tools, even something as simple like being able to mirror things without it being a total hassle and having proper measurement tools at the ready, has so much potential. I know we'll never see it, but a man can dream. Of course, it would open the door to a billion different exploits, but you gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
I would love to see a PC mapmaking application with some sort of 'export to Xbox' function. Just imagining what people could do with real tools, even something as simple like being able to mirror things without it being a total hassle and having proper measurement tools at the ready, has so much potential. I know we'll never see it, but a man can dream. Of course, it would open the door to a billion different exploits, but you gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

It could be done via the XNA pipeline. Rock Band Network is pretty much assembling songs entirely with PC tools and then exporting to a 360. As long as there's a peer testing process and a quarantine stage, then custom XNA Halo maps shouldn't present a security risk.

Now the question is if Microsoft would actually want to put the time and money behind this. I'm not convinced after the way they handled Halo 2 Vista.

Ramirez said:
I really enjoyed Onslaught as well, but with Midship in the mix, I could live without it.
It's different though, since on Midship no one really goes bottom mid, but on Ons it's a big part of the movement. They're similar but I did think there was room for both

Ramirez

thezerofire said:
It's different though, since on Midship no one really goes bottom mid, but on Ons it's a big part of the movement. They're similar but I did think there was room for both

Yea, I know, all I meant was that if it came down to getting more real maps, or another crappy Forge, I could live without Onslaught to get more real maps. :p

Forge is great for the weird and wonderful though, some of the funniest and most enjoyable moments playing Reach have been on community made maps.

Ramirez said:
Yea, I know, all I meant was that if it came down to getting more real maps, or another crappy Forge, I could live without Onslaught to get more real maps. :p
That's true. They should just made Onslaught a real map with real art.

Ramirez

king picollo said:
Forge is great for the weird and wonderful though, some of the funniest and most enjoyable moments playing Reach have been on community made maps.

Yea, I'm not sure I could go on without my Forge anime art.

vhfive

MrBig said:
Cool stuff letters
I think I'm either going to do this (unless you were going to make this into a finished piece, ken)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NobodyHome/473600bc.jpg[IMG]

Or this, with the swords replaced with crossed AR/BR
[IMG]http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/ch11.jpg
do this one and make it badass
and then take my money

Ruze789

I played around with some programs today and came up with these concepts:
5974708817_6e1107d3d9_m.jpg

5974708755_619170becd_m.jpg

5974708705_eb9e156ffa_m.jpg

Any thoughts on any of them?

Willeth

Whoops, guess I haven't been on GAF in a while and didn't know that we'd switched OTs.

so hey guys what's going on in this thread

Willeth

ncsuDuncan said:
Here is the list I had from a month or so ago:
HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet
EazyB Lake Minnetonka Mysterious Junior Member #3

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Any additions/changes?
Yo, I should be on that list, hompbroson.

ncsuDuncan said:
FYI, the two PAX tickets I had are currently reserved for Devin Olsen. If he finds a 3-day pass or something I'll post em again, but otherwise they are taken.

HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Any additions/changes?
I'm on the third place, woot! WOOT!

ncsuDuncan said:
I almost bought one of the Bungie Town posters just to see if Enfu snuck in any Destiny logos or clues. Hopefully when people start getting them I can find a high-res photo to inspect (NOT a scan, I don't need anything print-worthy).
I'm thinking about to order it tomorrow.(If it is still available). Right now I'm going to send it to Ghal, who will give it to me at PAX. Or should I send it to you, so that you can analyze it?
Tunavi said:
Why didn't jackal creek make it into BTB? This map looks awesome.
This map looks awesome. If there are customs this saturday and you play that map, I'm going to drink nothing. Really nothing.

kylej

Banned
Risen said:
onwer mats
XShaolinMonksX
Ulquiarlus
jcut u up
ARB3 Shotgun360
ARB3 Shotgun360 (G)
Ulquiarlus (likes his colon cleansed apparently)
Kingzilla245
X Digital Ace X
master naruto6
Hu Hu Humpy
BX JA3MS
T0XiC KiLl3r
SHlPSHAPE
Steak 111
KEEG4NO
GoDx Thor x
KLEEN TEA
ohchicka
FuriousAunt0
killerstar137
k0nstentine
WHaxX0n
crispycritterss

CLEANSED

lmao. someone write a script that pulls enemy gamertags from HaloGAF's wins and loads them in a list. I'll paypal you a dollar.

Booties said:
I'll be on in less than an hour. Lets get this thread back on topic please.

Hey QT pie I'm booting now.

220px-Mr._Clean_logo.png

feel

I'm gonna be honest here, mocking bad players is passable, but posting a list of gamertags of players you guys dominated on live is a bit too low for gaf. Not cool.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
I'm gonna be honest here, mocking bad players is passable, but posting a list of gamertags of players you guys dominated on live is a bit too low for gaf. Not cool.

Yea. That's just a very very scummy thing to do in my opinion. While some of the stuff others has done irks me, I firmly believe that a line is being crossed at that point and really does show you to be a scumbag.

Wow first ppl suggesting that Reach> H3 and now ppl acting immature and posting GT's of ppl less experienced. Seems like I entered a bungie.net thread. Sad thing is no seems to mind.

sly2thefox said:
Wow first ppl suggesting that Reach> H3 and now ppl acting immature and posting GT's of ppl less experienced. Seems like I entered a bungie.net thread. Sad thing is no seems to mind.

Don't feed the trolls.

feel

sly2thefox said:
I cry myself to sleep every night.

darthbob

ncsuDuncan said:
FYI, the two PAX tickets I had are currently reserved for Devin Olsen. If he finds a 3-day pass or something I'll post em again, but otherwise they are taken.

HaloGAF goes to PAX:
ncsuDuncan
Hitmonchan107
Hypertrooper
GhaleonEB
Louis Wu
Devin Olsen
Fyrewulff - Probably.
Mr Vociferous
Nutter
Ramirez
Captain Blood
Omlet

And I assume:
OuterWorldVoice
Lybertyboy
Urk?
Any additions/changes?

I'm attending.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I made a level and gametype called Knights of Dongblania. It's AWESOME. And by Awesome, I mean I spent the entire Warthog budget and the starting weapons are Rockets and Snipes.

Hemmorage:
120% speed
125% jump.
Spartan Lasers and more snipers ammo hidden at every major camping location.
75 meter motion tracker.
75 kills to win.

Letters said:

I agree with this. Mainly because while you guys are going out of your way to dong you really dont know if the people your playing against give a damn in that game. For example if you guys met me in casual matchmaking I probably wouldnt bother, if its a mate at my house playing im quite honestly happy for them to go neg 30 on my account as long as they get a laugh out of it. Dont get me wrong, on Halo 3 or CoD im a bit more serious about my stats, with with Reach its like meh. Doesnt mean I want my GT plastered on the internet though.

Matchmaking in Reach is pretty casual, if you guys are going out of your way to win thats cool, but just remember most of the guys your donging might play well in customs or when it counts but probably couldn't care less that particular game.

That said, KyleJ, Juices, we need to go play Black Ops, there are a bunch of bk's to cleanse on that. :p

Willeth said:
Yo, I should be on that list, hompbroson.
darthbob said:
I'm attending.
Added you both.
Hypertrooper said:
I'm thinking about to order it tomorrow.(If it is still available). Right now I'm going to send it to Ghal, who will give it to me at PAX. Or should I send it to you, so that you can analyze it?
Send it to Ghal, it would be just another thing for me to carry on the plane.

Your Burn Bright shirt came in the mail, I'll bring it with me to Seattle. (It's much easier to carry than a poster tube anyways.)

Ramirez

Letters said:

lol really? I think it's pretty hilarious, it's not like these guys are physically harming the guys by posting their GTs. They're just being trolls, I don't understand why some of you take this stuff so seriously.

Looking at the NCAA league thread, I think some of you might seriously cry yourself to sleep if we trash talked like those guys. :p

While we're on the topic of people trying too hard/not hard enough:

Is it better to get a Perfection or to be the guy, that through sheer force of will and perseverance, manages to kill the guy who is going 15-0?

Edit:

Hydranockz said:
Question: Is the dude you killed on your team or the other team?

You sir, are a HaloGAF veteran. Well played. We might as well open that question up to the floor as well.

Bregmann Roche said:
While we're on the topic of people trying too hard/not hard enough:

Is it better to get a Perfection or to be the guy, that through sheer force of will and perseverance, manages to kill the guy who is going 15-0?
Question: Is the dude you killed on your team or the other team?

Top Bottom