• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
We got railroaded in the game right after this. We're even, I think.

Standoff Heavies was either a gigantic loss or a gigantic win. I never saw games that were even close.

And then they had CTF on it, which I would just quit out of myself. 100% chance of killgrinding by the other team, without fail.

Standoff should never have a sniper on it, and I still don't understand the people that wanted on on there either. Thank goodness we never had anyone add a Sniper to Sandbox..
Agree on all counts. Not all maps need a sniper rifle on it (on many, most even, it's fine) and it's really frustrating to have one where it doesn't belong. IIRC, Standoff Heavies had four, a regular and a Beam Rifle for each base; and most spawns were outside in the open. It was mind-boggling.

And to be clear, I blame the map setup for the thrashing, not you. I blame you for bringing up the memories. :p

Tawpgun

Trasher said:
You can come up with your own idea too.
I thought the spartan legendary symbol was pretty good... but a little too complicated. I like simplicity. But I want it to convey Halo.

Also, need 1-2 more. Must be certified cleanser.

Trasher

A27 Tawpgun said:
I thought the spartan legendary symbol was pretty good... but a little too complicated. I like simplicity. But I want it to convey Halo.

Also, need 1-2 more. Must be certified cleanser.
I agree, but it's hard doing that with copyrighted images like the legendary symbol. The Onyx symbol/shape is something simple enough that we can replicate and actually use.

GhaleonEB

Generic said:
Ghaleon, didn't you say you were going to have the review done this weekend?
Yes, but I didn't say when it would be published. :p

(Almost done. One final read-through, one last paragraph on set pieces, and a few screenshots to grab. Like, 98% done, for realz.)

The weekly Challenge will motivate me to run through a couple missions tonight and grab the final media, and I'll have the drafting done. After that, it's over to the copy editor.

Recarpo

Got my swag bag delivered today, apologies for fuzzy/dark camera pics:

DSCN0135.jpg

DSCN0137-Copy.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

Lots of stickers
Japan quake relief bracelet
Halo 3 EOD figure and a warthog
Contact Harvest
And a couple of posters

Can anybody tell me whose signature that is on Contact Harvest or what the first poster/drawing of the guy is? I don't recognize that poster right off.

MrBig

Trasher said:
I agree, but it's hard doing that with copyrighted images like the legendary symbol. The Onyx symbol/shape is something simple enough that we can replicate and actually use.
There's no profit involved though, so I don't see a reason for anyone from MS to want to attack the design.

MrBig said:
There's no profit involved though, so I don't see a reason for anyone from MS to want to attack the design.
Evilore flatly squashed the idea of using copyrighted images/ symbols, regardless of how loose the enforcement is.

Trasher

MrBig said:
Hmmm I thought I read in the t-shirt thread we couldn't. I'm gonna see if I can find out more.

Edit: I'll take Filthy's word for it.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Agree on all counts. Not all maps need a sniper rifle on it (on many, most even, it's fine) and it's really frustrating to have one where it doesn't belong. IIRC, Standoff Heavies had four, a regular and a Beam Rifle for each base; and most spawns were outside in the open. It was mind-boggling.

And to be clear, I blame the map setup for the thrashing, not you. I blame you for bringing up the memories. :p

Okay, I swear I didn't do this on purpose. The reason I had that shot is I was documenting that night we were running around and ran into GAF/HBO people a lot that night to post in a thread on HBO.

Luckily photobucket retained the original created-by date.. which is today, 2 years ago exactly. That's kind of weird :lol

Here's the game.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1260955610&player=FyreWulff

Then the next one were we got railroaded.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/GameStatsHalo3.aspx?gameid=1260989844&player=FyreWulff

Looking at the game reminded me of the weird thing where Standoff's gameviewer pictures are some weird beta version of Standoff with PS2-level texturing:

629Qj.jpg

Karl2177 said:
"Countdown is a perfect balance of long and close combat." - dude over the mic.

Haven't had a game yet that hasn't had quitters or my router randomly resetting itself.
Map is one of the only original maps that are decent to play on if it played with Halo 3 settings. Fuck ppl camping with shotgun and sword. With sprint,evade the map becomes a camp fest where the strongest weapons are the shotgun and sword. One of the maps where having no radar actually sucks.

Striker

sly2thefox said:
Map is one of the only original maps that are decent to play on if it played with Halo 3 settings. Fuck ppl camping with shotgun and sword. With sprint,evade the map becomes a camp fest where the strongest weapons are the shotgun and sword. One of the maps where having no radar actually sucks.
Camping never happened in previous games, especially lifts.

Butane123

Recarpo said:
Can anybody tell me whose signature that is on Contact Harvest or what the first poster/drawing of the guy is? I don't recognize that poster right off.
The signature is Lorraine McLees. The first posters is probably a sketch done by her as well. Don't know exactly what it is of. Probably something to do with Oni... maybe?

Striker said:
Camping never happened in previous games, especially lifts.
Previous games like H3 Construct didn't have a shotgun and Halo reach sword, didn't have sprint, evade,camo and also felt more open compared to Countdown.

Are we allowed to use images from Halo for our design? I'm guessing no???

Also If anyone wants to come on to play with me you are welcome too, that 00:00 timer clutch bomb detonation was amazing :)

Striker

sly2thefox said:
Previous games like H3 Construct didn't have a shotgun and Halo reach sword, didn't have sprint, evade,camo and also felt more open compared to Countdown.
It had a Sword and tons of frags which stayed on the ground throughout the game. Default Construct was brutal. One of the worst maps in the game.

MrBig

vhfive said:
:(
oh well I'm still gonna finish what I'm making
I'm pausing what I was working of for the moment, because I put a lot of time into already and I would not like more time to be wasted on it.

I sent Frankie a PM asking him if he could direct me to someone at 343/MS to talk about printing permissions.

feel

No copyrighted design is just for the official neogaf ones. If it's just about getting some halogaf shirts going you guys can still print them for yourselves if you pass around the templates. Evilore has to charge for the shirts so that's why he can't have other people's inteleactual properties plastered all over them even if he's not making a profit. I could be way wrong about all of this, so, uhm yeah..

Kuroyume

Banned
Does anyone ever get confused by the radar in this game? It's my understanding that the bright red dots mean the enemies are on your level where as darker dots mean they're either above or below you. Why then isn't that always the case. Sometimes it will show people on my level but I'll take a look around and they're not there.

Trasher

Letters said:
No copyrighted design is just for the official neogaf ones. If it's just about getting some halogaf shirts going you guys can still print them for yourselves if you pass around the templates. Evilore has to charge for the shirts so that's why he can't have other people's inteleactual properties plastered all over them even if he's not making a profit. I could be way wrong about all of this, so, uhm yeah..
Right. Thanks for shedding more light on it.

Although it still would be cool if we could get one done and submitted to Evilore to at least try to get a shot at winning the t-shirt contest. I feel like HaloGAF is one of the most populated communities on this forum, and so if we decided on a shirt that most people like here, there could be a decent chance at winning.

Havok

Kuroyume said:
Does anyone ever get confused by the radar in this game? It's my understanding that the bright red dots mean the enemies are on your level where as darker dots mean they're either above or below you. Why then isn't that always the case. Sometimes it will show people on my level but I'll take a look around and they're not there.
Sometimes the distance they are above/below you isn't significant enough to register, which totally sucks. Shotgun room and the hallway above it on Sword Base has this problem. Dark dots are below, arrows are above, but it seems there's a threshold value where it displays these. I'm not a huge fan of the elevation indicator in the first place. Radar used to give a good 'head in this direction and a guy is somewhere over there' sense, but now it pinpoints them for you. Apparently Halo 2 had this functionality, but you had to work to get it. The motion tracker plane was parallel to your view angle, so you could look straight up and see how far someone was above you. That's something I never really used, but it's neat that it was there.

MrBig

Trasher said:
Although it still would be cool if we could get one done and submitted to Evilore to at least try to get a shot at winning the t-shirt contest. I feel like HaloGAF is one of the most populated communities on this forum, and so if we decided on a shirt that most people like here, there could be a decent chance at winning.
Is everyone alright with this one for the for the moment?

halogafwhite.jpg
halogafblack.jpg

White or black?

I'll send Evilore the source files

Domino Theory said:
The MC helmet with the GAF logo was good. Maybe have the GAF logo with two crossed BRs behind it and the Legendary Shield?
That's exactly what I'm working on (but crossed AR/BR, not just BR, though there could be variations of whatever people want). I'll keep working on it for our personal use but it likely won't be in the Neogaf store.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Trasher said:
Right. Thanks for shedding more light on it.

Agreed, also, I love your Onyx design, but it doesn't exactly scream Halo to me. Don't know if that matters, though. :p

The MC helmet with the GAF logo was good. Maybe have the GAF logo with two crossed BRs behind it and the Legendary Shield?

Trasher said:
I feel like HaloGAF is one of the most populated communities on this forum, and so if we decided on a shirt that most people like here, there could be a decent chance at winning.
Honestly, there's a solid chance that people outside of HaloGAF would buy the Onyx NeoGAF T-shirt. It's Halo flavored without being overtly Halo.

I'll pick one up if it's in black.

Tunavi

Banned
Kwatz, I think the perfection medal would be better for the outline of the black shirt's emblem. Same shape but would show up better on black.
Perfection!.png

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hitmonchan107 said:
Honestly, there's a solid chance that people outside of HaloGAF would buy the Onyx NeoGAF T-shirt. It's Halo flavored without being overtly Halo.

That, too. It's also got a little Iron Man mixed into it. :p

feel

MrBig said:
Is everyone alright with this one for the for the moment?
I'll send Evilore the source files
Just send it, there's no limit. Same for the other people posting finished designs a few pages back. Don't wait for the rest of halogaf's approval if you're pleased with it. The onyx icon shirt is really beautiful but I personally feel it encapsulates a side of Halogaf I'm not part of (Reach mp fan, high-skill level, not humble), yet it's too good looking for it not to be used by those of you who are, so lets go with multiple ones.

refresher on what I went with for those who might have missed it

16glkpx.jpg

us the spartan halogaffers = the Onyx top 1% of human evolution

Trasher

Hitmonchan107 said:

I'll pick one up if it's in black.
Exactly. That's why I like it so much. I definitely prefer black shirts over white shirts, but it honestly looks good on either color. My vote is for black though.

Yeah, remember people, we can still make other shirts that include images from Halo etc, but that just means we can't use it for this t-shirt contest is all. I know I would still be interested in a more "Halo-GAF" shirt as well. So if anyone is still working on some I would encourage you to keep going even if it does include copyrighted images. I would love to see a shirt that is truly representative of HaloGAF.

I'm still holding out hope for someone to use the MC helmet idea with the GAF logo. :)

MrBig

Letters said:
Just send it, there's no limit. Same for the other people posting finished designs a few pages back. Don't wait for the rest of halogaf's approval if you're pleased with it. The onyx icon shirt is really beautiful but I personally feel it encapsulates a side of Halogaf I'm not part of (Reach mp fan, high-skill level, not humble), yet it's too good looking for it not to be used by those of you who are, so lets go with multiple ones.
I agree with you, I am no longer a competitive player at all but the shirt does represent a part of halogaf.

My own design though, the crossed BR/AR on a legendary shield with the Chief's helmet I like more.

Submitting this:
halogafblackperf.jpg

MrBig said:
I agree with you, I am no longer a competitive player at all but the shirt does represent a part of halogaf.

My own design though, the crossed BR/AR on a legendary shield with the Chief's helmet I like more.

Submitting this:
http://derekdennison.codebrainshideout.net/gaf/halogaf/halogafblackperf.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I thought I would like the perfection outline more, but I think I prefer the original.

Argh. Now I'm torn.

Tunavi

Banned
Fuck yes, at first I was like "ehhh" but after a minute I adapted. looks so much better

i want this whether this gets accepted or not

@hitmonchan and trasher - ADAPT. its better

Trasher

MrBig said:

Submitting this.
You should submit the white shirt onyx one as well.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I thought I would like the perfection outline more, but I think I prefer the original.

Argh. Now I'm torn.
lol me too. It makes you wonder how it would actually look on a real shirt as well. I wonder if the black onyx outline would blend in too much, or if it would still pop enough.

Top Bottom