• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT5| A Monument to All Our Sins

senador

Banned
bobs99 ... said:
I just ordered it now

Halo: Cryptum: Book One of the Forerunner Trilogy [Paperback]
Delivery estimate of 23 July 2011 - 26 July 2011

odd?

Even odder, theres another paperback listed price of about 1.50 cheaper, im not sure how to access that price, but maybe thats the price in September, im confused but if I get my novel this week ill be happy. :p

bobs99 ... said:
My paperback copy of Halo Cryptum arrived. Whoo.

You really got the paperback? I ordered one on Sunday the 24th and it still shows "Not yet shipped - Delivery Estimate: September 13, 2011". :(

I tried the UK store too and it says not available until September as well. Dammit! Did you just get lucky?

PNut

Banned
Since when does beating up on casuals and guests in Objective and Squad Slayer in Reach warrant posting there GT's on Gaf? It proves nothing. That's worse than making new accounts in H3 and full-teaming Social Slayer for a month then bragging about it. Lol.

Ramirez

PNut said:
Since when does beating up on casuals and guests in Objective and Squad Slayer in Reach warrant posting there GT's on Gaf? It proves nothing. That's worse than making new accounts in H3 and full-teaming Social Slayer for a month then bragging about it. Lol.

I bet by posting their GTs they were actually secretly challenging Walshy to a 1v1 to prove their worth.

feel

Alright that looks nice. So we want some color, but I wanted to have that specific monochromatic look in the evolution sequence, plus the lines of the mountains make the whole thing even more busy and hard to make out. I tried a few combinations of color and this is the only one I liked:

2nbyouh.jpg

33y0tjq.jpg

I could ask (beg) Evilore to change my previous submission for this if you guys want

PNut

Banned
Ramirez said:
I bet by posting their GTs they were actually secretly challenging Walshy to a 1v1 to prove their worth.

Good guess, or secretly auditioning for Eagle Team would be my guess.

vhfive

Letters said:
Alright that looks nice. So we want some color, but I wanted to have that specific monochromatic look in the evolution sequence, plus the lines of the mountains make the whole thing even more busy and hard to make out. I tried a few combinations of color and this is the only one I liked:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nbyouh.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/33y0tjq.jpg[IMG]

I could ask (beg) Evilore to change my previous submission for this if you guys want[/QUOTE]
$$$$$$$$$
take it just take it

Dug

Banned
Letters said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nbyouh.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/33y0tjq.jpg

I could ask (beg) Evilore to change my previous submission for this if you guys want
This + that emblem idea = I'd buy it for a dollar

Letters said:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nbyouh.jpg

[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/33y0tjq.jpg

I could ask (beg) Evilore to change my previous submission for this if you guys want[/QUOTE]
beautiful, where can I buy that? :D

edit. actually, I'd very much prefer a DMR instead of the BR... maybe throw some bloom in too. Bloomed Tee, hell yeah!

Letters said:
Damn you. Now I have to buy two shirts.

Trasher said:
That couldn't be farther from the truth in all honesty. Some pretty low stuff goes on in these forums...

The whole point for most people is to win...in almost all video games. Going out of your way to win?????? What a ridiculous thing to say.

So you are saying that it counts to win in custom games, but not in matchmaking games? For me it's the other way around. Your stats don't matter in custom games because your custom game stats aren't generally accurate since a lot of custom games are random or strange gametypes.

Dont get me wrong, I play to win in matchmaking most of the time, but if I have friends around and we are just having a laugh playing to win goes out of the window. Hell even online, if im playing with work collegues or guys that dont really game, being the dude who takes it seriously would just kill the fun for everyone. Reach matchmaking is so casual you dont even need to try and win and you still end up winning lol.

When im playing a competative custom against friends or even rowdy randoms met through matchmaking - thats when I pull out my A game material. It means more to win in a competitive match than it does in just general matchmaking where most of the players couldnt care less.

Basically I think its more fun to dong people worth donging. The general matchmaking population just dont take the game seriously enough to really call them out for theyre awefulness.

senador said:
You really got the paperback? I ordered one on Sunday the 24th and it still shows "Not yet shipped - Delivery Estimate: September 13, 2011". :(

I tried the UK store too and it says not available until September as well. Dammit! Did you just get lucky?

I got it through Amazon UK if that makes any difference, why in the world they have paper back copies but arent sending them out I will not understand, maybe I got lucky.

Maybe I own the only copy currently in existance lol

So I was thinking, with this TU I wonder if 343 are going to address the CR system, im sure im not the only one whos a little frustrated by its inconsistancies.

The system itself is clearly designed to reward time played rather than performance, which sounds good on paper, but for me and im sure many others it means that not really going for the win and allowing games to be elongated makes more sense than trying flat out and potentially ending games quickly. It was frustrating early on to do well but be limited by small CR payouts, it made little sense that I was earning the same (and maybe potentially less depending on ranks) than the guy who barely did anything all game. Even worse is that the current system promotes afkers etc.

Sure I like that the system seems to reward the long term fans, and its good that it rewards even the casual fans who arent very good but are just having fun. However I do think that a better performance bonus needs to be added simply to provide more reward for those that do like to play competitively, this would also provide players with more incentive to try.

Quite simply I think rewarding 100CR per kill and capping this performance bonus at a total of 3k cr would be ideal in rewarding the players who 'go for it' while still providing the casual fans a good match bonus. Essentially what im saying is this performance bonus should be layered on top of whats already provided, that will mean that casual fans will still rank up at a decent rate while the kind of players who are trying and get 20/30 kills will be rewarded for it.

This system would have to be carefully tuned to deter from people using it to boost through the ranks, and thas why I believe a 3k cap is good, thats stil a very significant amount of cr to be able to earn and its unlikely that people will get beyond 30 kills in normal play.

In Objective, kills shouldnt add to the cr bonus but I believe the winning team should get a reward of 3k cr, that would certainly improve objective matchmaking and would add an influx of people actually trying to win and go for the objective, it would also promote people to finish games quickly to try and move onto the next win.

Maybe 3k is a little high? Whatever the cap is it needs to be a significant figure, and it needs to be obtainable to all ranks. I know having a bonus that high is potentially doubling the cr payout for players who consistantly do well, but even then with the large gaps between the later ranks I doubt it would really help most people get to Inheritor by the time Halo 4 arrives.

So yeah this system would still cater to the casual fans whilst allowing the super competitive types to actually be rewarded for doing well. It would promote less afking as actually trying would provide a large boost of cr. Just so its clear as much as it might sound like, this isnt in response to the objective holding stuff thats recently been on GAF, I have been annoyed by the CR system pretty much since we heard about it.

Ken

bobs99 ... said:
So I was thinking, with this TU I wonder if 343 are going to address the CR system, im sure im not the only one whos a little frustrated by its inconsistancies.
I'd probably put the credit system at the very bottom of the list of things that should be addressed, especially this late into the game's life.

Ken said:
I'd probably put the credit system at the very bottom of the list of things that should be addressed, especially this late into the game's life.

agreed, was just trying to type it all out before my laptop died, i should have said that its pretty low down on the priority list lol

Falt

bobs99 ... said:

The system itself is clearly designed to reward time played rather than performance, which sounds good on paper, but for me and im sure many others it means that not really going for the win and allowing games to be elongated makes more sense than trying flat out and potentially ending games quickly. It was frustrating early on to do well but be limited by small CR payouts, it made little sense that I was earning the same (and maybe potentially less depending on ranks) than the guy who barely did anything all game. Even worse is that the current system promotes afkers etc.

Sure I like that the system seems to reward the long term fans, and its good that it rewards even the casual fans who arent very good but are just having fun. However I do think that a better performance bonus needs to be added simply to provide more reward for those that do like to play competitively, this would also provide players with more incentive to try.

Quite simply I think rewarding 100CR per kill and capping this performance bonus at a total of 3k cr would be ideal in rewarding the players who 'go for it' while still providing the casual fans a good match bonus. Essentially what im saying is this performance bonus should be layered on top of whats already provided, that will mean that casual fans will still rank up at a decent rate while the kind of players who are trying and get 20/30 kills will be rewarded for it.

This system would have to be carefully tuned to deter from people using it to boost through the ranks, and thas why I believe a 3k cap is good, thats stil a very significant amount of cr to be able to earn and its unlikely that people will get beyond 30 kills in normal play.

In Objective, kills shouldnt add to the cr bonus but I believe the winning team should get a reward of 3k cr, that would certainly improve objective matchmaking and would add an influx of people actually trying to win and go for the objective, it would also promote people to finish games quickly to try and move onto the next win.

Maybe 3k is a little high? Whatever the cap is it needs to be a significant figure, and it needs to be obtainable to all ranks. I know having a bonus that high is potentially doubling the cr payout for players who consistantly do well, but even then with the large gaps between the later ranks I doubt it would really help most people get to Inheritor by the time Halo 4 arrives.

So yeah this system would still cater to the casual fans whilst allowing the super competitive types to actually be rewarded for doing well. It would promote less afking as actually trying would provide a large boost of cr. Just so its clear as much as it might sound like, this isnt in response to the objective holding stuff thats recently been on GAF, I have been annoyed by the CR system pretty much since we heard about it.

I like the idea of a kill bonus with a cap. I think overall, there should have been a win bonus. That just makes sense to me and it's something that can't really be exploited.

Louis Wu

Recarpo said:
Can anybody tell me whose signature that is on Contact Harvest or what the first poster/drawing of the guy is? I don't recognize that poster right off.
butane already pointed out that the signature belongs to Lorraine. I'm pretty sure the sketch is Mukade, from Oni (you can see a colored sketch on B.net here). Lorraine, again, for sure. You did good. :) (He also looks like the kid in The Babysitter, from Legends... but that's not Bungie. :) )

Falt said:
I like the idea of a kill bonus with a cap. I think overall, there should have been a win bonus. That just makes sense to me and it's something that can't really be exploited.

There already is a win-bonus. It is very small however so many people don't note it and it isn't worth noting most of the time.

Maybe double the amount of credits earnd in the game when you win?

Ken said:
The game is less than a year old, has another ~1.5 years before Halo 4's MP replaces it.

Am I alone in not loving Beli343? I love 343, and have faith in them, but it seems a bit cold towards Bungie, bitch-slap/favouritism.
I really love the shirt though.

I like MrBig's t-shirts. The white and black one. We just need sth. that signifies "We're HaloGAF"(Like quote etc.) on the back. Right now, it is just a sexy shirt. The Beli343 thing is okay for this, but Zeouterlimits said it already, it is a bit cold towards bungie.

Striker

There should [have been] team based awards for flag caps and bomb armings from the get go. You can't base these individually unless you want people shotgunning or fragging their teammates in order to get the extra honor.

Ok Letters that is fucking awesome. It even captures how you all just bitch and don't even play Halo anymore. :)

Would buy but, really am I going to wear a HaloGAF shirt?

Ken

Zeouterlimits said:
The game is less than a year old, has another ~1.5 years before Halo 4's MP replaces it.

Am I alone in not loving Beli343? I love 343, and have faith in them, but it seems a bit cold towards Bungie, bitch-slap/favouritism.
I really love the shirt though.
Sure, but it's already been long enough that:

-Players who are in the final ranks won't benefit significantly from the suggested adjustments to the credit system.

-Players who are in the lower ranks are those that aren't playing hours every day for credits and hitting daily credit caps. These are the players who are playing the game for fun or out of boredom and don't intend to hit Inheritor anytime soon, so they most likely won't increase their average daily playtime because of a higher credit payout.

The game might not be considered old going by literal time, but just because it still has however many years before the next game doesn't mean that the game is suddenly going to grow into a much better and distinct experience in a year compared to the present.

So perfections are neat. Even better if it's the winning kill. Completely un-intentional until I realised I had killed 14 dudes murdered without a death.
Ken said:
Sure, but it's already been long enough that:

-Players who are in the final ranks and won't benefit significantly from the suggested adjustments to the credit system.

-Players who are in the lower ranks are those that aren't playing hours every day for credits and hitting daily credit caps. These are the players who are playing the game for fun or out of boredom and don't intend to hit Inheritor anytime soon, so they most likely won't increase their average daily playtime because of a higher credit payout.

The game might not be considered old going by literal time, but just because it still has however many years before the next game doesn't mean that the game is suddenly going to grow into a much better and distinct experience in a year compared to the present.
Can't speak for Dani, but perhaps he was laughing at how sad that is. That this potential reward system has been squandered.

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:
Well in that case where do I get one?

Is early morning donging happening today?

If Evilore decides it's print worthy, it'll be easy to get. Otherwise, I don't know.

I shall bring my 360 to work to take part in the donging/cleansing.

Tawpgun

Letters said:

2nbyouh.jpg

33y0tjq.jpg

Nice. My only request is to have it come in gray or white. Never liked wearing black.

Ramirez said:
All I see is Gold dawg.
Tunavi went down to Gold. olololol

Nelo Ice

Banned
looks like the maps are on sale again hmm may pick up this time since it sounds like the title update will be good and the new maps with CE anniversary...

kylej

Banned
I wouldn't mind something with the NeoGAF logo on the front left breast and a play on the Legendary skull/logo thing on the back. Not really feeling black shirts with huge pictures on the front.

Ken said:
Nope. I am.

:(

Aren't you Chocopolka? You wape harder than 90% of the people here.

Top Bottom