• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

thezerofire said:
You could technically start it and finish it 20 minutes later
Technically, I could do it in less than 5 minutes. I'm just wondering if I can do a heroic solo run of the campaign without skipping cutscenes or encounters (I forget what Nightfall is even like) in 6 hours.

Letters said:
The automated systems are garbage. They should secretly give 500 known community members moderator powers in matchmaking. Let them slap 1 day bans on the huge griefing assholes they come across, and 1hour bans on the people they know quit because they were losing or AFKrs. It would instill some fear and worry on the bad playerbase and maybe they would start behaving a bit.
God this, we should have some kind of group;"HaloGAF Matchmaking White Knights", our mission would be to ensure the Halo Honor is kept intact, we should also have a list with gamertags suspicious of boosting/cheating acts.
Worst part about AFKers is you have to suffer before they get banned (if they ever get punished), that's why automated systems suck.

Gabotron ES said:
God this, we should have some kind of group;"HaloGAF Matchmaking White Knights" our mission would be to ensure the Halo Honor is kept intact, we should also have a list with gamertags suspicious of boosting/cheating acts.
Worst part about AFKers is you have to suffer before they get banned (if they ever get punished), that's why automated systems suck.
Automated systems are impartial. People aren't.

feel

HiredN00bs said:
Automated systems are impartial. People aren't.
They wouldn't just be let loose to ban at will. A little group of two or three 343i employees would be in charge of moderating them, keeping an eye on the reports of the bans, etc

J10

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
It would be cool to have online moderators like MMO's that check for the asshats of the community.

I'm sure they'd give us that (along with dedicated servers) if we payed a subscription fee.

Heh, might as well submit the avatars I did for a few guys here. After scaling them down a bit.

And I'm replaying the game start to finish on the 14th. Relive the glory.

Letters said:
They wouldn't just be let loose to ban at will. A little group of two or three 343i employees would be in charge of moderating them, keeping an eye on the reports of the bans, etc
There is already an existing infrastructure for user reports, but it could definitely use improvement (it's what, 6 years old now)? Halo 4 should take a cue from Halo 2 and integrate XBL functionality into the UI, with some customization for specific types of reports that could be updated post-launch. Making it easier and clearer for each user to report people will give the XBL moderation teams better data.

Idle Detection:

Has the player used the right half of the controller in the last 2 minutes? (Right Stick, RT, RB, A, B, X, Y)

Has the player used the left half of the controller in the last 2 minutes? (Left Stick, LT, LB, D-pad)

(Start, Back, and the Guide button are ignored as they don't contribute to "playing".)

If EITHER of the answers is NO, bring up a prompt:
"You are suspected of being idle. Please play the game or you will be booted and penalized."
Press A to Acknowledge.
Press B to Quit. "Are you sure you want to quit?" (reduced penalty)
Press nothing to be booted in 10 seconds.

After the first warning, the idle detection timer is lowered from 2 minutes to 30 seconds.

If BOTH of the answers are NO, just boot the player.

Justification:
- Idlers might try to cheat the current system by holding a controller in their left hand, browsing the internet with their right. (or vice-versa for mutants)
- I don't think there is a single gametype in Reach that you can actively play with one hand (for two whole minutes).
- Forcing idlers to switch hands to avoid detection is annoying enough to make most of them just play (or at least quit joining games).

This solution would of course be in addition to an adjustment of credit payouts - making them more dependent on winning (or at least participating) and less on time elapsed.

Gui_PT

Does anyone have a link to a video of how to get to the mac cannon early in PoA, Solo?

If there is one, I mean. I couldn't find anything helpful and would love to try it.

Homeboyd

ncsuDuncan said:
Idle Detection:

Has the player used the right half of the controller in the last 2 minutes? (Right Stick, RT, RB, A, B, X, Y)

Has the player used the left half of the controller in the last 2 minutes? (Left Stick, LT, LB, D-pad)

(Start, Back, and the Guide button are ignored as they don't contribute to "playing".)

"You are suspected of being idle. Please play the game or you will be booted and penalized."
Press A to Acknowledge.

After the first warning, the idle detection timer is lowered from 2 minutes to 30 seconds.

Justification:
- Idlers might try to cheat the current system by holding a controller in their left hand, browsing the internet with their right. (or vice-versa for mutants)
- I don't think there is a single gametype in Reach that you can actively play with one hand (for two whole minutes).
- Forcing idlers to switch hands to avoid detection is annoying enough to make most of them just play (or at least quit joining games).

This solution would of course be in addition to an adjustment of credit payouts - making them more dependent on winning (or at least participating) and less on time elapsed.
lol at the mutants..

Sounds pretty good.

ncsuDuncan said:
Idle Detection:

Press A to Acknowledge.

Justification:

Rubber banding the two analog sticks can bypass both of those checks.

Tawpgun

Gears of War 3 has a spotting system... I think due to the retarded nature of some of the people that play Halo, as well as all the asshats with no mics/party chat and of course any deaf/mute players..... I think one should be implemented in Halo 4.

As long as the person who spotted you has you in his sights, you remain spotted. Once you break the view, the indicator goes away.

I feel some people might think its taking away from the "skill" of call outs.... But I see it as enhancing the mechanic and allowing the players inable to hear/speak a chance to contribute.

NOPE WAIT. BETTER IDEA.

Use the system Shadowrun has. When you spot someone, it calls out their area, not their player. Seems more fair that way.

Still undecided if the indicator should show shield strength.

I apologize if this question has already been answered countless times, but I've been out of the Reach loop for a while.

What is the news regarding the Title Update that was supposed to come in September if I remember correctly? When is it scheduled to come out?

Havok

RibbedHero said:
I apologize if this question has already been answered countless times, but I've been out of the Reach loop for a while.

What is the news regarding the Title Update that was supposed to come in September if I remember correctly? When is it scheduled to come out?
Still sometime this month. Beta playlists shortly after in October.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Gears of War 3 has a spotting system... I think due to the retarded nature of some of the people that play Halo, as well as all the asshats with no mics/party chat and of course any deaf/mute players..... I think one should be implemented in Halo 4.

As long as the person who spotted you has you in his sights, you remain spotted. Once you break the view, the indicator goes away.

I feel some people might think its taking away from the "skill" of call outs.... But I see it as enhancing the mechanic and allowing the players inable to hear/speak a chance to contribute.

NOPE WAIT. BETTER IDEA.

Use the system Shadowrun has. When you spot someone, it calls out their area, not their player. Seems more fair that way.

the shadowrun thing is what everyone was expecting when Bungie announced those little areas at the bottom left of the screen.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GhaleonEB said:
I'll probably do an extended campaign run to snag the weekly, and will welcome co-op if anyone is doing likewise by then. Been enjoying quite a few mission runs over the past week, as I've burned out on MM (can we has playlist update pleaz). At one point I just flew around New Alexandria and blew up 100+ vehicles while listening to music. Quite soothing.

Deus Ex is clunky and the AI is hilariously brain dead, but it's getting pretty damn fun.

I am loving Deus Ex. Need to jump on Reach for the weekly though.

Barrow Roll said:
Rubber banding the two analog sticks can bypass both of those checks.
Not if you design the checks correctly.

The two minutes is a sliding window. Whatever input is registered at the beginning of the window is considered "neutral". So if the sticks don't move for two minutes they aren't counted, even if they aren't at the normal neutral spot.

ncsuDuncan said:
Not if you design the checks correctly.

The two minutes is a sliding window. Whatever input is registered at the beginning of the window is considered "neutral". So if the sticks don't move for two minutes they aren't counted, even if they aren't at the normal neutral spot.
Turbo Controller A button bypasses your method.

Booshka

thezerofire said:
the shadowrun thing is what everyone was expecting when Bungie announced those little areas at the bottom left of the screen.
Featuring my favorite callout of all time, Sky: is clear

kylej

Banned
Gabotron ES said:
God this, we should have some kind of group;"HaloGAF Matchmaking White Knights", our mission would be to ensure the Halo Honor is kept intact, we should also have a list with gamertags suspicious of boosting/cheating acts.

I know just the people for the job.

wwm0nkey

A27 Tawpgun said:

NOPE WAIT. BETTER IDEA.

This!

In-game chat is dead thanks to party chat and a Call Out system would just be awesome either way.

I dont really like the idea of the auto callout system. Sure not everyone can always play with a team but literally having the game callout for you would take out a lot of the ambiguity that comes from players making callouts. The gears system where you get a waypoint placed on your head is just stupid. Even if a player spots me I should be able to kill him and sneak away.

HiredN00bs said:
Turbo Controller A button bypasses your method.
Yes, it does.

It wouldn't be impossible to make a process that checks for turbo controllers too, but at that point you're just entering into an arms race that will waste development time on trying to stop the 1% of people that will go to the trouble of buying a special controller to cheat the system.

I'm just trying to come up with a way to deter the lazy idlers, which I assume is the majority.

Woorloog said:
How about banning AFKers right away? No mercy at all, no warnings.
If you are 100% sure they are AFK, ban away. That's why I said "If BOTH of the answers are NO, just boot the player." because that is the only case where you can be 100% sure.

Questionable cases have to be handled more carefully, because you absolutely do not want your idle detection system to ban someone that is actually playing.

thezerofire said:
um, we haven't seen anything that suggests a return to the BR. It hasn't even been discussed.

they fixed it for Black Ops though. I never really join a game where I'm being dominated anymore.
Unfortunately I never played Black Ops.

Havok said:
Skip that piece of garbage. Not worth your time.
13€(~$17) I can survive that if it is crap. Friends are liking that game.

Lyphen said:
Damnit man, you're German, you should be playing Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine right now!
lol. Yeah I know. Space Marine IS the first Relic Warhammer 40.000 game I haven't bought day one. And I'm feeling bad about it. But I had to save money and my awesome trip to seattle was worth to cancell my pre-order.

GhaleonEB said:
I'll probably do an extended campaign run to snag the weekly, and will welcome co-op if anyone is doing likewise by then. Been enjoying quite a few mission runs over the past week, as I've burned out on MM (can we has playlist update pleaz). At one point I just flew around New Alexandria and blew up 100+ vehicles while listening to music. Quite soothing.

Deus Ex is clunky and the AI is hilariously brain dead, but it's getting pretty damn fun.
I'll join you if I see you doing a run. I've got a lot of last-minute stuff to take care of before I have to go into surgery next week, but I hope to get a little bit of Halo in before then. :)

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I dont really like the idea of the auto callout system. Sure not everyone can always play with a team but literally having the game callout for you would take out a lot of the ambiguity that comes from players making callouts. The gears system where you get a waypoint placed on your head is just stupid. Even if a player spots me I should be able to kill him and sneak away.

The spotting system in Gears 3 is completely half-assed. It felt like they just threw in ironsights on the Hammerburst and spotting because some suit at MS wanted them in because CoD/Battlefield has them.

FyreWulff said:
The spotting system in Gears 3 is completely half-assed. It felt like they just threw in ironsights on the Hammerburst and spotting because some suit at MS wanted them in because CoD/Battlefield has them.
they both actually work really well. I'd always use the iron sights on the Hammerburst when I used it in the beta

also I'd like to submit my application for this AFK moderators team

Havok

senador said:
I believe them, and it make sense, and I would have probably made the same decision on that side, but I still liked the green/purple. Was cool and different and added to the Invasion experience.
Usability trumps novelty every time, as it should. It was a smart decision.
Tha Robbertster said:
Wouldn't it be really obvious that you either have to shoot the big dinosaur dudes or the spartans?
Look at it like this: you're Average Joe, and you just played a round of Invasion on Boneyard as a Spartan. You've been killing dinos the entire game, and now you spawn beside someone who looks just like the guys you've been shooting at. It might seem obvious to you, but someone without that experience might not get it. They wouldn't understand that you switch player models between rounds, and could presumably get confused. Saying "you're blue, shoot the red guys" is easier.

senador

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
Wouldn't it be really obvious that you either have to shoot the big dinosaur dudes or the spartans?

For some people, not for all.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1099864

Havok said:
Usability trumps novelty every time, as it should. It was a smart decision.

Fully agreed.

Havok said:
Look at it like this: you're Average Joe, and you just played a round of Invasion on Boneyard as a Spartan. You've been killing dinos the entire game, and now you spawn beside someone who looks just like the guys you've been shooting at. It might seem obvious to you, but someone without that experience might not get it. They wouldn't understand that you switch player models between rounds, and could presumably get confused.

Also add to that: eyesight, screen size, resolution, playing distance, etc.

FyreWulff

Tha Robbertster said:

We're talking about a populace where some people killed all of their Covenant allies in Halo 2 because they thought they were enemies. Even though the game demonstrated that they were playing as an elite, the reticule was green over your fellow grunts and elites, etc.

Going "shoot the color opposite of me" decomplicates everything and can be retained in the switch for the end of the round.

The problem with any idle detection system, many of the players who idle will put an eraser or rubber band on the stick and start moving around maps but still not do shit, just to keep the prompt from popping up.

I guess the only thing they can't really do is a bot but with Reach most of the AFKers are there, they don't just leave their xbox running. So they will no doubtedly perform whatever task necessary to stay in game, but nothing more than that. That's why anything other than a vote to kick is destined to fail, at least in my opinion.

bobs99 ... said:
I loved Mirrors edge, nostalgia bomb when I opened that link.

Weird question, but does anyone know of a song that would line up with Halo gameplay well? Im thinking of a song with a pretty bassy drumbeat, just so it will go well with the sounds weapons make. Im only at the stage of learning after effects (really for work) but ultimately would like to use those skills to make a sweet montage. Im planning to use halo to learn video editing, theatre mode is awesome, thanks Bungie. :p

What kind of music are you into? I play a lot of electronica and some industrial in the background when I'm gaming. Here are some examples I think would fit well:

KMFDM - Professional Killer
KMFDM - Attak Reload
KMFDM - Ready to Blow
KMFDM - Urban Monkey Warfare
BT - Smartbomb
BT - Madskillz
Crystal Method - PhD
Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Crystal Method - High Roller
Crystal Method - Born to Slow
Orbital - Monorail
Orbital - Much Ado About Nothing Left

Wasn't sure what mood you wanted, they're all over the map. If you want more suggestions I can do that too =).

GhaleonEB said:

I don't think you're the type to do something in a single player campaign just for the Achievement, but I thought I'd warn you that the wall punch you've been using counts as lethal and will keep you from getting the Pacifist achievement.

FyreWulff said:
We're talking about a populace where some people killed all of their Covenant allies in Halo 2 because they thought they were enemies. Even though the game demonstrated that they were playing as an elite, the reticule was green over your fellow grunts and elites, etc.

Going "shoot the color opposite of me" decomplicates everything and can be retained in the switch for the end of the round.

Okay, I get
I was freaking out when I began next to 4 elites on the first level as the arbitar (I was 10 :lol)
that but I would think after one game, they'd get it that for one round, you don't shoot the Elites and that round is when you spawn with the elite weapons and next to them.

Top Bottom