• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tunavi

Banned
10 years ago we were freaking out about 9/11, and none of us had never even played halo yet. Weird to think back on that.

I tried to drunk post last night, but I guess I'll just stick with a sick post:

My idea for a BR-like DMR (the DBR -- a hipster's only friend):

Maybe we could have a DBR that fires a three-round burst, with each burst increasing the bloom. The bloom for the inner reticle never gets larger than the outer circle, and it resets to zero bloom after each burst.

Since 343 can control the cone of fire (I think that's what it is called), maybe they could make the bullets spread like the Halo 3 BR, but of course, it would be hitscan like the Halo 2. Bullet spread would make the DBR effective at medium range but ineffective at sniper range.

Also, I'm not picturing the DBR's bloom to reach the reticle's outer circle. Maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the full reticle. Essentially, the reticle bloom would do what it does in Reach -- visually show you the inaccuracy of your shots. Since it would reset to zero after each burst, it wouldn't be a mechanic to pace your shots.

TheOddOne

Letters said:
n3nt5v.jpg

Not even a little mad? I did boot you with 5 seconds to go on the clock in a ranked match, a full minute after you betrayed me for the sniper.
Happy 9/11? That pisses me off more then anything.

1315028682330.gif

Hitmonchan107 said:
I tried to drunk post last night, but I guess I'll just stick with a sick post:

My idea for a BR-like DMR (the DBR -- a hipster's only friend):

Maybe we could have a DBR that fires a three-round burst, with each burst increasing the bloom. The bloom for the inner reticle never gets larger than the outer circle, and it resets to zero bloom after each burst.

Since 343 can control the cone of fire (I think that's what it is called), maybe they could make the bullets spread like the Halo 3 BR, but of course, it would be hitscan like the Halo 2. Bullet spread would make the DBR effective at medium range but ineffective at sniper range.

Also, I'm not picturing the DBR's bloom to reach the reticle's outer circle. Maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of the full reticle. Essentially, the reticle bloom would do what it does in Reach -- visually show you the inaccuracy of your shots. Since it would reset to zero after each burst, it wouldn't be a mechanic to pace your shots.

I was wondering if it would be possible to turn the DMR into a BR with a title update...

- Force a 3-round burst with each trigger pull.
- Keep bloom, but slightly decrease the cone radius (it's acting as spread now, but the default Reach cone might be a little too large).
- Cap the ROF for trigger pulls so that you can't initiate another burst until the reticule has settled.

It looks like they can adjust the rate of fire for the CE pistol - could they also force the DMR to do a 3-round burst? I'm skeptical, because that could screw with the animations.

I doubt it's feasible, but you never know.

ncsuDuncan said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to turn the DMR into a BR with a title update...
I haven't been following the thread, but I thought this was almost a given after seeing the Reach-turned-CE pistol.

At the very least, I think we'll see the return of Halo 2's BR, seeing as that would be the easiest to create.

KidA Seven said:
I like single shot mid range weapons though...

: (
It could stay in the classic modes, then. I just like the feel of a three-shot burst rifle.

I'm easily bored with single-shot rifles.

But I'm sure when semi-bloom rolls out, I'll be perfectly happy with the Needle Rifle.

Edit: Damnit. Your GAF handle just kicked off another "Kid A" runthrough. "Idioteque" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I just can't get enough.

heckfu

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
It could stay in the classic modes, then. I just like the feel of a three-shot burst rifle.

I'm easily bored with single-shot rifles.

But I'm sure when semi-bloom rolls out, I'll be perfectly happy with the Needle Rifle.

Edit: Damnit. Your GAF handle just kicked off another "Kid A" runthrough. "Idioteque" is one of my favorite songs of all time. I just can't get enough.

Kid A is by FAR Radiohead's best album. OK Computer was good...but it's no Kid A.

Striker

Hitmonchan107 said:
At the very least, I think we'll see the return of Halo 2's BR, seeing as that would be the easiest to create.
Minus it will still be destructive against vehicles, something the Halo 2 BR wasn't so much. And the 3x zoom allows for greater cross mapping with greater accuracy. It was limited beforehand.

Most of all I just want something 8v8 Classic Slayer/Flag/Assault, then allow Hemorrhage, Highlands, Headlong, and Timberland to unfold. That's probably going to be reduced bloom rather than bloomless entirely.

Striker said:
Minus it will still be destructive against vehicles, something the Halo 2 BR wasn't so much. And the 3x zoom allows for greater cross mapping with greater accuracy. It was limited beforehand.

Most of all I just want something 8v8 Classic Slayer/Flag/Assault, then allow Hemorrhage, Highlands, Headlong, and Timberland to unfold. That's probably going to be reduced bloom rather than bloomless entirely.
This could probably be fixed with a new Title Update.

Hopes for next Title Update (in order of importance):
- Revenant glitch removal
- Banshee nerf
- Grenade nerf
- Weapon-to-vehicle nerf (at the very least Sniper Rifle-to-vehicle nerf)
- Unlimited veto for Score Attack
- DBR
- No fall damage

But I know that it's mostly Hermann manning the update front, so I'll be grateful for anything he does. That must be a stressful job.

At this point in Reach's life cycle, there is one thing that 343i could do which would make me happier, even moreso than the changes coming with TU (potentially). Make a team slayer-like playlist that only individuals can play in. No guests, no groups of 2-4 players. Just me teamed up with 3 other randoms, against another 4 randoms. This would solve my frustration, hate, and pure rage, more than anything else that could be done, right now. I'm sick of losing to full teams. Reach absolutely brutalizes/punishes you for playing solo. I would love to be able to play in a full random playlist where people in a party can't enter. Thinking about that more than anything would be euphoric.
Devolution said:
most infuriating thing in the game is to see that one of your players is not even playing. And why isn't there an option to select someone being AFK when submitting a player review or even better, filing a complaint? grrrr I feel your pain.

Deputy Moonman said:
At this point in Reach's life cycle, there is one thing that 343i could do which would make me happier, even moreso than the changes coming with TU (potentially). Make a team slayer-like playlist that only individuals can play in. No guests, no groups of 2-4 players. Just me teamed up with 3 other randoms, against another 4 randoms. This would solve my frustration, hate, and pure rage, more than anything else that could be done, right now. I'm sick of losing to full teams. Reach absolutely brutalizes/punishes you for playing solo. I would love to be able to play in a full random playlist where people in a party can't enter. Thinking about that more than anything would be euphoric.

most infuriating thing in the game is to see that one of your players is not even playing. And why isn't there an option to select someone being AFK when submitting a player review or even better, filing a complaint? grrrr I feel your pain.

I'll never understand how a bunch of console games just don't have vote to kick options to get rid of griefers and AFKers. Then the community could at least self-regulate when the devs refuse to make a better system to weed these people out.

They should add more control sliders to the next Halo game, if not for the players, for the playlist designers. Forge was originally introduced as a tool for the developer to more easily adjust maps post-launch. The gametype editor should be able to adjust player shields, player health, damage per specific weapon/vehicle, vehicle health per vehicle, and more to an unprecedented degree of precision (at least a single percentage point).

Booshka

Devolution said:
I'll never understand how a bunch of console games just don't have vote to kick options to get rid of griefers and AFKers. Then the community could at least self-regulate when the devs refuse to make a better system to weed these people out.
There is a pretty good vote to kick feature in Shadowrun, but it gets abused as well. It's all majority vote, and you can call a vote once a round for any or no reason. So, if you are playing in a Party and just want to be a dick and vote your teammates out, you can. You can also call a vote on someone from the other team, it usually doesn't work, but I have been booted from a game only because some kid and his friends were getting mad I was owning them. In general though, people kick out TK'ers and players that play selfish and suck individually. If you aren't that good but are at least trying to help the team, or if you are a selfish asshole but drop a lot of kills, you are usually safe.

I still love that it is there though. SR is a game that can get griefed pretty hard, and without the vote to kick feature I would probably never play Public games.

The Left 4 Dead games also have it, but it's only for your team, and works pretty well. Myself and 2 friends were playing Realism Expert on L4D2 and couldn't find a good fourth, so we just culled through the community of players, booting all the BK's until we found a good player, we were able to finish it with him and had a good time. Added him to our friends lists and played more L4D2 with our newly found solid team of four.

feel

Tunavi said:
There will only be one title update.

Halo 4 is only ~1 year from release.
Yeah, they're slightly hinting about a possible second TU just to get people to quiet down a bit about the stuff not being fixed. They will want to save all the good stuff for their own game, Halo 4, to make it look amazingly better in comparison.

Booshka said:
There is a pretty good vote to kick feature in Shadowrun, but it gets abused as well. It's all majority vote, and you can call a vote once a round for any or no reason. So, if you are playing in a Party and just want to be a dick and vote your teammates out, you can. You can also call a vote on someone from the other team, it usually doesn't work, but I have been booted from a game only because some kid and his friends were getting mad I was owning them. In general though, people kick out TK'ers and players that play selfish and suck individually. If you aren't that good but are at least trying to help the team, or if you are a selfish asshole but drop a lot of kills, you are usually safe.

I still love that it is there though. SR is a game that can get griefed pretty hard, and without the vote to kick feature I would probably never play Public games.

The Left 4 Dead games also have it, but it's only for your team, and works pretty well. Myself and 2 friends were playing Realism Expert on L4D2 and couldn't find a good fourth, so we just culled through the community of players, booting all the BK's until we found a good player, we were able to finish it with him and had a good time. Added him to our friends lists and played more L4D2 with our newly found solid team of four.

L4D example sounds like what I'm thinking of, and it would go a long way to improve the game. And yes some people would abuse the vote to kick, which is why I don't think a penalty should ensue after someone is kicked from a game. However if someone is kicked a lot, I feel like that should be looked into by some sort of community/mp manager.

Booshka

Devolution said:
L4D example sounds like what I'm thinking of, and it would go a long way to improve the game. And yes some people would abuse the vote to kick, which is why I don't think a penalty should ensue after someone is kicked from a game. However if someone is kicked a lot, I feel like that should be looked into by some sort of community/mp manager.
Remember that both the games I mentioned have Join in Progress, so kicked players are easily replaced. I am sure that is a main factor for the lack of vote to kick in Halo.

Devolution said:
Not sure how to get rid of griefers, but if a player is truly AFK, it should be easy to implement a way for 2-3 players to vote kick the person who is AFK out of the game. Zero kills, no medals? Bam, vote kick and be gone afk'er!
HiredN00bs said:
They should add more control sliders to the next Halo game, if not for the players, for the playlist designers. Forge was originally introduced as a tool for the developer to more easily adjust maps post-launch. The gametype editor should be able to adjust player shields, player health, damage per specific weapon/vehicle, vehicle health per vehicle, and more to an unprecedented degree of precision (at least a single percentage point).
Not quite forge-related. I was always massively surprised that bloom wasn't an adjustable feature, and not necessarily for players, but at least something that developers could alter on their end. If I was going to add something as extreme as bloom, adding the ability to fall back on zero bloom would have been a huge priority in case the changes didn't go over well.

Booshka said:
Remember that both the games I mentioned have Join in Progress, so kicked players are easily replaced. I am sure that is a main factor for the lack of vote to kick in Halo.

I'd rather be down a player than have a worthless douchebag AFKing, betraying or committing suicide.

Booshka

Devolution said:
I'd rather be down a player than have a worthless douchebag AFKing, betraying or committing suicide.
I agree, I just doubt Bungie would. A lot of ppl getting griefed by a vote to kick option as opposed to some getting kicked for legitimate reasons is probably not an acceptable tradeoff. Shitty communities will ruin everything.

Booshka said:
I agree, I just doubt Bungie would. A lot of ppl getting griefed by a vote to kick option as opposed to some getting kicked for legitimate reasons is probably not an acceptable tradeoff. Shitty communities will ruin everything.

I'd think this is fine if and only if people were actually held accountable for their bullshit, but unless we're specifically shown otherwise, it just seems like these kind of players are allowed to continue their nonsense from game to game. If I knew people who commit betrayals, suicides and just plain AFK constantly were dealt with, then I'd say "okay fair enough you don't have a vote to kick because you don't want it abused."

But it just seems like a total cop out dealing with this crap after the fact (or not at all) when there are options/avenues that could be taken to boot these people from the game you are in, thus resulting in a better game overall.

Just looking at the guy who AFKed. Look at how many games he's ruined for other players with his bullshit.

0/-12
0/-18
0/-10

Game History

Something needs to be done about people like this. It's infuriating and ridiculous.

This was bound to become a problem by implementing a credit system to rank up and purchase armor. Quitters and de-rankers have always been an issue in halo2 and halo3, but people being AFK is brand new or at least a much much larger problem. I can't believe the game doesn't throw players out who haven't moved within a 2-3 minute time period automatically to be honest.

Tunavi said:
There will only be one title update.

Halo 4 is only ~1 year from release.
And yet, only one or two men are on the TU team. Sounds like they don't want to take away from the core Halo 4 dev team while still giving players reassurance that they're taking care of Bungie's baby. (And look at what that small team was capable of!)

That said, how time- and resource-intensive was the development of a bloom workaround? If it was minor compared to some of the other changes players want, we might not see too many updates. And was developing the bloom workaround the reason we have the CE pistol? If so, the possibility of the DBR looks good. If not, the chances of seeing it are slim to none.

Edit: Nintendo's press conference is today! Here's hoping for word of a 3DS redesign. I need to know if I should wait on picking one up or not. If mum's the word on an update, I'll probably grab one this week.

Deputy Moonman said:
This was bound to become a problem by implementing a credit system to rank up and purchase armor. Quitters and de-rankers have always been an issue in halo2 and halo3, but people being AFK is brand new or at least a much much larger problem. I can't believe the game doesn't throw players out who haven't moved within a 2-3 minute time period automatically to be honest.

I played WoW on the heels of the huge AFK problem. People figure out how to just move so those kind of programs don't work. I mean they work and cut down on some of it, but without vote to kick, the player can just do the minimal amount of moving (or even put something on a stick to keep them moving.)

Ken

Devolution said:
I played WoW on the heels of the huge AFK problem. People figure out how to just move so those kind of programs don't work. I mean they work and cut down on some of it, but without vote to kick, the player can just do the minimal amount of moving (or even put something on a stick to keep them moving.)

I'd much rather have people farming the Target Locator or idling for credits in campaign (if it were possible) all the way to Inheritor if it meant keeping them out of multiplayer. Not the greatest solution but, as you said, there doesn't seem to be a perfect idle detection system yet to prevent this from happening in MP games.

Ken said:
I'd much rather have people farming the Target Locator or idling for credits in campaign (if it were possible) all the way to Inheritor if it meant keeping them out of multiplayer.

I know that feel bro.

Tunavi said:
You should only get credits for winning.

Then more people would quit the moment they think they're destined to lose. That doesn't work well either. And you'd really see the population of playlists drop off as people give up entirely. If they lose a lot, the consolation is they still earn credits. Take that away, and you'll see even less people on. A lot of people don't solely play for fun, they need an incentive. You take that incentive away, they won't bother.

Ken

Tunavi said:
You should only get credits for winning.

The bulk of credits earned should be determined by how much you contributed to the game instead of time spent in game.

If it's a Team Slayer game, the majority of credits should be from kills and assists. If you get 0 kills, 0 assists, and 20 deaths in a slayer game, you should be awarded for your efforts with some ridiculously low amount of cR like 10 cR.

If it's CTF, then scoring the flag, distance traveled with the flag, and how much time you spent near the flag carrier or how many kills you made on enemies close to the carrier should award you the most credits. If you're team is objective holding in the base while kill-farming at the other team's base, those efforts won't be rewarded with as much credit if they had just capped the flag and moved on to the next round or game.

I know there's going to be problems with this system (like the wonky matchmaking pairings resulting in mismatched teams of drastically different skill levels which ends up with the lesser of the teams coming out with very few credits) but at least it would get people to actually play the game.

Devolution said:
Yep. Anytime I hear the term AFK I immediately think of wow BG's. I think that if the game had a way of tracking your kills and medals in a game, it might work. It only has to give the team with the AFK player the option of booting him/her. It doesn't have to automatically kick them. If time was always being tracked for the potential of someone being AFK. X amount of time goes by, and during that period, the said player has zero kills and zero medals, maybe 2-3 minutes, the option pops up for players on that person's team to boot them for being AFK. There is the small potential of players being so bad that they don't any kills and medals, but that would be extremely rare.

Devolution said:
Hilarious.

Some are good, don't tell me these are shit:

Magnetic Man ft. Katy B - Crossover
Mt Eden - Still Alive

I loved Mirrors edge, nostalgia bomb when I opened that link.

Weird question, but does anyone know of a song that would line up with Halo gameplay well? Im thinking of a song with a pretty bassy drumbeat, just so it will go well with the sounds weapons make. Im only at the stage of learning after effects (really for work) but ultimately would like to use those skills to make a sweet montage. Im planning to use halo to learn video editing, theatre mode is awesome, thanks Bungie. :p

Louis Wu

Dani said:

HBO's Grunt Plushie sale is closing at 4pm Eastern time tomorrow - that's 1pm Pacific, and 8pm GMT

In case anyone is still wanting to order one or three, I think he said something about another batch in future but best move now to be sure to get a hold of one.

Poor Wu has to package each order and ship out by hand, nevermind fronting the cost of the whole thing.
I no longer have to front the cost of the whole thing; that was taken care of by eCompanyStore's need to actually have the items back in Georgia before they could take my order. I now get to pay for it with YOUR money. ;)

(I still have to package them all up, though, and that's what's prompting this closure; we're over 400 now, and I simply don't know where I'm going to find the time if it gets to be too many more.)

I know I said there might be a second batch - but I'm not positive that will happen. If you want one, grab it now.

Top Bottom