• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Sai-kun

Banned
devo, your taste in music is just<3

Also, finished 4/9 levels. :) Had to stop at Long Night of Solace to go to class (oops posting from class!)

My solution for chronic AFKers is to use them as hosts in the matchmaking pool. Give people cR (or whatever equivalent) for volunteering their box to host matchmaking games. This improves matchmaking at the same time as removing AFKers.

Booshka

bobs99 ... said:
I dont really like the idea of the auto callout system. Sure not everyone can always play with a team but literally having the game callout for you would take out a lot of the ambiguity that comes from players making callouts. The gears system where you get a waypoint placed on your head is just stupid. Even if a player spots me I should be able to kill him and sneak away.
Shadowrun's system isn't automatic, when you see someone you have to press Up on the d-pad to call them out. There is also no waypoint above their head when you call them out, it just says the location they were in with a little icon toward that area and maybe some pertinent info, like if they have the Artifact or what race they are. It doesn't track them, if they move to a new area, you would have to call them out again for it to be broadcasted to your team.

You can also Press Left on the d-pad to ask for backup, it will tell your teammates where you are and also callout any enemies you see that are close to you. You can tell players to Move with Right on the d-pad too, it will point at the location, callout enemies if they are there, and tell your team to move there.

People actually use the in-game callouts for normal conversation in SR because they are easier to learn with this d-pad callout system. In Reach, no one pays attention to the callout until they are dead, and it only tells you where you are, not where the enemy is, so it is harder to learn and less useful. Reach callouts also aren't specific enough, nor are they unique. So it is better just to come up with your own callouts.

Karl2177

Tha Robbertster said:
Okay, I get
I was freaking out when I began next to 4 elites on the first level as the arbitar (I was 10 :lol)
that but I would think after one game, they'd get it that for one round, you don't shoot the Elites and that round is when you spawn with the elite weapons and next to them.
Don't assume anything about how dumb the population is. ARs on Uncaged? Of course we all want to play that crap.

Karl2177 said:
Don't assume anything about how dumb the population is. ARs on Uncaged? Of course we all want to play that crap.

My mistake for thinking the majority of the population have brains :lol.

Gonna start my campaign run now, message me (Robbert014) if you want to join right now.

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:
We're talking about a populace where some people killed all of their Covenant allies in Halo 2 because they thought they were enemies. Even though the game demonstrated that they were playing as an elite, the reticule was green over your fellow grunts and elites, etc.

Going "shoot the color opposite of me" decomplicates everything and can be retained in the switch for the end of the round.

I have literally never once seen this in the thousands of Halo 2 games I played. However your citing it goes along very well with how whenever you talk about a design decision it only addresses the absolute lowest common denominator, who to most of us are imaginary or cartoon characters.

Booshka

orznge said:
I have literally never once seen this in the thousands of Halo 2 games I played. However your citing it goes along very well with how whenever you talk about a design decision it only addresses the absolute lowest common denominator, who to most of us are imaginary or cartoon characters.
He's talking about Campaign.

FyreWulff

orznge said:

You played thousands of Halo 2 campaign games online?

Bungie said it themselves. I didn't think people would do it either, but Bungie is the one with the telemetry data, not us.

And if you really think about it, betraying your Covie buddies triggered the same pissed-off-at-you where they all start shooting like marines do.. which would have just re-inforced that they were enemies to these people :lol

I hate idlers as much as anybody, but adding a "vote to kick" mechanic to Halo would be used for griefing more than it would ever be used for booting legitimate idlers.

Really the best you can hope for is:

- Remove the incentive to idle (tie credits to participation/winning).
- Detect idle controllers (or attempt to detect one-handed controllers).

The only way I could see a "vote to kick" option working in Halo would be if there was a drop-in/drop-out playlist.

It's bad enough going into matchmaking alone without the randoms constantly trying to boot you out of the game.

Sai-kun

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
I hate idlers as much as anybody, but adding a "vote to kick" mechanic to Halo would be used for griefing more than it would ever be used for booting legitimate idlers.

Not if it's exclusive for the team, like in L4D. I think in this case you're overestimating how mean randoms can be. A squad of friends together? Sure, they might boot you. But in a team of 5 individual people? I don't think so.

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:
You played thousands of Halo 2 campaign games online?

Bungie said it themselves. I didn't think people would do it either, but Bungie is the one with the telemetry data, not us.

And if you really think about it, betraying your Covie buddies triggered the same pissed-off-at-you where they all start shooting like marines do.. which would have just re-inforced that they were enemies to these people :lol

Damn I thought you were talking about multiplayer.. but still what the hell people did that in campaign? Crazy.

Gui_PT

Sai-kun said:
Not if it's exclusive for the team, like in L4D. I think in this case you're overestimating how mean randoms can be. A squad of friends together? Sure, they might boot you. But in a team of 5 individual people? I don't think so.

L4D's Vote to Kick system would never work on reach.

You'd have people casting votes simply because you took the sniper before someone else did. Or even just because they want to cast a vote.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:

The only way I could see a "vote to kick" option working in Halo would be if there was a drop-in/drop-out playlist.

It's bad enough going into matchmaking alone without the randoms constantly trying to boot you out of the game.

Idle controller detection was added in Halo 3 TU2 and is in Reach, but as other people have pointed out you can't account for people getting more creative with macro buttons and rubber bands. (although if you are lazy enough to just rubberband sticks together, Halo 3 and Reach will pick it up)

The last Bungie banhammer update also added more detections for people that killed like 2 enemies and then went and rubberbanded for the rest of the game. It was sensitive enough that an HBO regular got hit by it from letting his kids play, and they were barely killing anything but moving around.

ncsuDuncan said:

Credits should definitely be boosted for doing stuff in and around an objective (or slaying). Boost it up higher if people win. But don't cut off any credits for the losers otherwise people will just stop playing altogether, especially if they are actively trying.

Detection will go a long way to get those who leave their xbox, but as seen with other games, people will do the necessary minimal amount of movement to stay in game and nothing else. Or worse, what's to stop them from committing various kinds of suicides (by jumping off the map or just running head first into trouble.)

I mostly avoid these shenanigans since I play with full parties as much as possible but it's definitely a problem I run into as soon as I get randoms, so I can only assume it's a big problem for people who play alone.

Maybe halo 4 needs something that takes a longer look at player behavior and rates people accordingly. I think the best sweet justice is to round up quitters, betrayers and AFKers and make them solely play each other. That way people aren't being banned from the game, in case they're scared of backlash and the people who play decently are separated from agonizing bullshit. Seems like a win/win to me. Hell it would be nice if we could somehow "tag" someone in game for a review so that douche could go in the "jackass player group."

orznge

Banned
There needs to be a rank system that is visible and the rank goes up if you win and down if you lose like in the previous 3 Halo games so that people put any concerted effort at all into winning.

Gui_PT said:

You'd have people casting votes simply because you took the sniper before someone else did. Or even just because they want to cast a vote.

Actually it worked pretty well in that game and god knows how much time I spent on it :/
Only issue, it was abusable by groups of 3. We used to boot our random fourth teammate just to make room for any member of our "clan", unless that random was really good or nice. Yeah, speak about being dicks... My apologies to everyone who got booted with no reason XD
Plus, you need drop-in drop-out for the system to work properly.

The fun part were the 2vs2 vote-to-kick battles lol
Sooner or later someone would press the wrong button and vote yes, giving the other two the chance to boot :D

Gui_PT

FyreWulff said:
The last Bungie banhammer update also added more detections for people that killed like 2 enemies and then went and rubberbanded for the rest of the game. It was sensitive enough that an HBO regular got hit by it from letting his kids play, and they were barely killing anything but moving around.

Sorry but this doesn't work nearly as well as you make it seem.

Almost every FF match I play I find idlers that either hide in a spot that is unreachable by the AI or they rubber band their controllers after they get a couple of kills.

After I see them do this, I keep my eye on their Stats page for a few days or weeks and not a single one of them has ever been banned or had their credits reset.

i nerini del buio said:
Actually it worked pretty well in that game and god knows how much time I spent on it :/

It works great on that game, and I love it.
I said it wouldn't work on Reach.

Sai-kun

Banned
Gui_PT said:

But you need a majority. I doubt the 5 randoms in squad slayer could agree to kick someone. But everyone in L4D also has mics and can talk things out most of the time. That's why we need drop-in/drop-out!

It honestly works fine in L4D. You suck at the game or don't have a mic? You're not playing with me.

orznge said:
There needs to be a rank system that is visible and the rank goes up if you win and down if you lose like in the previous 3 Halo games so that people put any concerted effort at all into winning.

I'm thinking the next game should separate credits from ranks. Ranks should be about wins, and mean something other than time invested. Credits and time accumulated can still net you swag but it won't be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

PooBone

Devolution said:
The problem with any idle detection system, many of the players who idle will put an eraser or rubber band on the stick and start moving around maps but still not do shit, just to keep the prompt from popping up.

I guess the only thing they can't really do is a bot but with Reach most of the AFKers are there, they don't just leave their xbox running. So they will no doubtedly perform whatever task necessary to stay in game, but nothing more than that. That's why anything other than a vote to kick is destined to fail, at least in my opinion.

What kind of music are you into? I play a lot of electronica and some industrial in the background when I'm gaming. Here are some examples I think would fit well:

KMFDM - Professional Killer
KMFDM - Attak Reload
KMFDM - Ready to Blow
KMFDM - Urban Monkey Warfare
BT - Smartbomb
BT - Madskillz
Crystal Method - PhD
Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Crystal Method - High Roller
Crystal Method - Born to Slow
Orbital - Monorail
Orbital - Much Ado About Nothing Left

Wasn't sure what mood you wanted, they're all over the map. If you want more suggestions I can do that too =).
Oh wow thanks for that!

Devolution said:
Maybe halo 4 needs something that takes a longer look at player behavior and rates people accordingly. I think the best sweet justice is to round up quitters, betrayers and AFKers and make them solely play each other. That way people aren't being banned from the game, in case they're scared of backlash and the people who play decently are separated from agonizing bullshit. Seems like a win/win to me.

I don't dare grabbing the sniper off the bat on Hemmorage. Going for that sniper rifle is just asking for grief.

FyreWulff

Gui_PT said:
Sorry but this doesn't work nearly as well as you make it seem.

Almost every FF match I play I find idlers that either hide in a spot that is unreachable by the AI or they rubber band their controllers after they get a couple of kills.

After I see them do this, I keep my eye on their Stats page for a few days or weeks and not a single one of them has ever been banned or had their credits reset.

It's not going to catch everybody. Reporting them via the guide and avoiding them is still my standard procedure.

TheOddOne said:
Really? Thought you had member status.

Nope. I think there's a minimum time you have to be activated, regardless of your amount of posts.

FyreWulff said:
It's not going to catch everybody. Reporting them via the guide and avoiding them is still my standard procedure.

Avoid doesn't work. That's something else Halo 4 seriously needs to rectify since Live failed at it.

BackdoorBeauty said:
I don't dare grabbing the sniper off the bat on Hemmorage. Going for that sniper rifle is just asking for grief.
yeah, pick it up and I'll betray you!
just kidding lol

everytime someone goes the griefer way just because I got the sniper (or shotgun, rockets, whatever) before them, I waste the ammo shooting at the sky

Dax01 said:
throw out anything that's unpopular.
Halo:Zombies here I come!

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Avoid doesn't work. That's something else Halo 4 seriously needs to rectify since Live failed at it.

Well you also need enough population in a playlist for avoid to have enough people to not-put you in with the people you avoid.

Team Slayer? Avoid someone and you're pretty much not going to see them again. Team Objective? Don't even bother, you're probably getting them in 2 matches again either way.

FyreWulff said:
Idle controller detection was added in Halo 3 TU2 and is in Reach, but as other people have pointed out you can't account for people getting more creative with macro buttons and rubber bands. (although if you are lazy enough to just rubberband sticks together, Halo 3 and Reach will pick it up)

I'm aware of this. The only new idea I was trying to propose was splitting the input into left and right hands.

If you force the player to have both hands on the controller (or at least pretend to), what more could you ask for?

I suppose some system could be crafted where it tries to determine if you're actually shooting at other players, but there are too many odd cases to account for (objective runners, drivers, etc.).

Devolution said:
Credits should definitely be boosted for doing stuff in and around an objective (or slaying). Boost it up higher if people win. But don't cut off any credits for the losers otherwise people will just stop playing altogether, especially if they are actively trying.
I agree with everything but the first sentence. You should NEVER tie credits to "doing stuff in and around an objective". That will only lead to people betraying each other for the flag. Sniper support of objective runs will dry up.

Sure, tie credits to flag captures, but only if the ENTIRE TEAM benefits equally from the capture.

Gui_PT

FyreWulff said:

In my experience, based on who I meet that idles, it doesn't catch anybody

And Sai, I think you expect too much from Halo players. Most of them would vote yes just because. And if there aren't enough votes to get the person kicked, the match will just turn into a Vote to Kick battle until someone gets kicked.

Gui_PT said:
And Sai, I think you expect too much from Halo players. Most of them would vote yes just because.
false, based on my l4d experience

And if there aren't enough votes to get the person kicked, the match will just turn into a Vote to Kick battle until someone gets kicked.

true, based on my l4d experience XD

feel

Yeah, vote to kick is horrible in any game I've seen it with.
Randoms just keep spamming vote to kick other people and most of the other randoms go along and vote yes just for the lulz

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm aware of this. The only new idea I was trying to propose was splitting the input into left and right hands.

If you force the player to have both hands on the controller (or at least pretend to), what more could you ask for?

I suppose some system could be crafted where it tries to determine if you're actually shooting at other players, but there are too many odd cases to account for (objective runners, drivers, etc.).

I agree with everything but the first sentence. You should NEVER tie credits to "doing stuff in and around an objective". That will only lead to people betraying each other for the flag. Sniper support of objective runs will dry up.

Sure, tie credits to flag captures, but only if the ENTIRE TEAM benefits equally from the capture.

nscuDuncan doesn't care about handicapped people.

But seriously, they could consider bringing back the Halo 2 Cheater Hotline email (I still remember it: h2cheats@microsoft.com ), but if Microsoft only wants to fund a single programmer working on the Reach TU, they're not going to front the money for the manpower needed for a "non critical" cheater/afk report hotline.

wwm0nkey

FyreWulff said:

But seriously, they could consider bringing back the Halo 2 Cheater Hotline email (I still remember it: h2cheats@microsoft.com ), but if Microsoft only wants to fund a single programmer working on the Reach TU, they're not going to front the money for the manpower needed for a "non critical" cheater/afk report hotline.
Hell I would do it for free if it meant Halo was rid of one more person ruining the experience.

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm totally dating myself here, but here are a few songs that I like. And no it's not a coincidence that all 3 are on Warren Miller flicks. Eh, anyway. You're probably looking for more of a techno/club mix or something. I'm stuck in the 90's :D

"Free" by Train? It has good flow and I can see a halo vid to it, personally.
or perhaps "Funk#49" by The James Gang? The variation in this song is probably too much.
or perhaps "Halfway" by Gloritone? Beat is probably a little too up-tempo.

And just for shits and giggles: Bumblebee Tuna
Not likely to make a good halo montage, but the song is hilariously amazing, and whoever did the anime clips to this song did a really good job.
Devolution said:
The problem with any idle detection system, many of the players who idle will put an eraser or rubber band on the stick and start moving around maps but still not do shit, just to keep the prompt from popping up.

I guess the only thing they can't really do is a bot but with Reach most of the AFKers are there, they don't just leave their xbox running. So they will no doubtedly perform whatever task necessary to stay in game, but nothing more than that. That's why anything other than a vote to kick is destined to fail, at least in my opinion.

What kind of music are you into? I play a lot of electronica and some industrial in the background when I'm gaming. Here are some examples I think would fit well:

KMFDM - Professional Killer
KMFDM - Attak Reload
KMFDM - Ready to Blow
KMFDM - Urban Monkey Warfare
BT - Smartbomb
BT - Madskillz
Crystal Method - PhD
Crystal Method - Name of the Game
Crystal Method - High Roller
Crystal Method - Born to Slow
Orbital - Monorail
Orbital - Much Ado About Nothing Left

Wasn't sure what mood you wanted, they're all over the map. If you want more suggestions I can do that too =).

Thanks guys, I have to check out all the links when I get a chance!

I have to say im quite open to anything when it comes to it, but I really want something which will sync well with gunshots. Something with a strong beat. I dont really like the idea of having lyrics over the top of it.

Something like the Inception theme would work pretty well, those horns (?) would sync up with sniper shots nicely.

I think Club/ HipHop/ Trance/ Electro/ Urban/ Maybe movie theme stuff sounds best for those kind of videos. (Sorry Moonman!) Appreciate the clips! I have to look through them and check them out properly.

Crystal Method - Born to Slow - Need for speed underground nostalgia bomb, you keep doing that to me Devo. :p

ncsuDuncan said:

WoW and CoD seem to incorporate giving points to people who defend/kill things in and around the objective just fine. And yes the flag cap points go to everyone, or those in the vicinity. Basically my point is the more credits awarded for doing the right thing would help. It's sad that it needs to be even said or put into a game but we're dealing with a generation of players who constantly need a carrot. I hate to be that big of a self-righteous asshole about it, but I play for fun and with pals, and I miss the days where people did the same. Now it's about "what can I get for playing" instead of just playing to play. Eugh.

Gui_PT

i nerini del buio said:
false, based on my l4d experience

I don't think you can compare L4D to Reach.

I've never seen anyone betray another survivor just because they took the only molotov or pills.

Now betraying for rockets or sniper? All the time.

I can only assume voting/reasons to cast a vote would be the same way.

MrBig

Anyone want to get a part of 4 together tomorrow afternoon (~4pm -5gmt) to do a run through of the campaign with absolutely no skipping and glitching? I haven't played through a level properly since I figured out ways to get them done in like 20 mins each.

It's also nice to see 343 giving out weekly payouts that are actually worth anything in term of cR.

FyreWulff said:
Not if they're idling.

A handicapped person actively trying to play the game would still make inputs on both sides of the controller. You can't play Halo without using both thumbsticks occasionally. The only exception I can possibly think of is someone using one of the more obscure stick layouts who just drives the Warthog the entire game. Which is why I proposed a warning and not an immediate ban.

Trasher

Dax01 said:
The best way to get rid of AFkers is to make each and every gametype and map as fun as possible, and throw out anything that's unpopular.
So you are saying that "Trouncing" is the solution?

FyreWulff

MrBig said:
Anyone want to get a part of 4 together tomorrow afternoon (~4pm -5gmt) to do a run through of the campaign with absolutely no skipping and glitching? I haven't played through a level properly since I figured out ways to get them done in like 20 mins each.

It's also nice to see 343 giving out weekly payouts that are actually worth anything in term of cR.

I'm up for it. Fullpath ODST is also going down tonight over at HBO.

Also just realized gmail still has my Halo 2 cheater reports:

wU9Ya.png

I'm not even sure if they were still checking that in '07.

Fyrewulff, how do you know that email address was ever checked to begin with?

It was probably just part of some weird Dharma Initiative social experiment.

Also, I don't know if they changed the forum rules, but you should have been a full Member a long time ago. I suspect some mod decided to brand you as a permanent Junior. :p

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Fyrewulff, how do you know that email address was ever checked to begin with?

It was probably just part of some weird Dharma Initiative social experiment.

I saw at least a few of those suddenly stop playing shortly after being reported. One was within a day.

I suspect some mod decided to brand you as a permanent Junior.

Oh no, I can't make a thread where most of the first page is someone trying to make the clever first reply!

Top Bottom