• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Dani said:
So what are anticipating at the TGS event? Headlong and Hang Em High official reveals? TU release date? Anything else?
Doubt they're doing a LTD, but if they were, it'd be the last chance to announce it. Perhaps a controller bundle, like ODST?
Wish they'd nail down which stores are getting the pre-order grunt skull in the EU, feel like Bungie were much better about this, but then again the game is in November, not September.

Gui_PT said:
Get a triple kill from the grave.

Get two Buck Wild medals in one Multiplayer Matchmaking match

Don't forget stupid ass random vehicle ones. Get a splatter spree, splatter someone with a mongoose, get out of here.

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
Don't forget stupid ass random vehicle ones. Get a splatter spree, splatter someone with a mongoose, get out of here.
"Wait, What?" | From the back of a Mongoose, kill two players with one Spartan Laser shot, in a FFA game.

heckfu

Banned
thezerofire said:
man I never got that double kill from the grave one

all luck, think i got mine in multiteam. you'll be that guy everyone yells at for being a grenade spammer but it gets points.

Karl2177

Nothing as awesome as a teammate that quits at the lobby and an idler in Arena. To top it off, I the last teammate spawns and immediately runs at the enemy.

Recarpo

You know what's awesome? Playing a firefight game, having the other guy quit out, and still getting quit banned at the end of the game. This wasn't a case of we got disconnected from each other and each finished a game either...

His bnet game.

My bnet game

Anybody explain that one?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Lyphen said:
More Stockpile achievements.

Stockpile never returns to matchmaking.
With the TU that drops it should just unlock for anyone that doesn't have it, that way no one has to play that horrible gametype ever again.

Recarpo

Apparently I'm on super ultra secret probation now because I just had a guy quit out before the game started because he didn't like the map. After the game? Temporarily banned from matchmaking.

feel

Dani said:
So what are anticipating at the TGS event? Headlong and Hang Em High official reveals? TU release date? Anything else?
10+ min match on Headlong, zero bloom, no AAs, fast movement, 720p direct feed

and a similar vid for every other new map

Gui_PT said:
Get a triple kill from the grave.

Get two Buck Wild medals in one Multiplayer Matchmaking match
Bungie is not in charge anymore, that could end being a negative thing in some aspects of future games, but not when it comes to achievements.

I really think H4 should have 1-50 ranks in playlists based on w/l ratio and w/l against other numbered ranks. Other than boosting was there any problems with this system?

Um let me stream the maps early so I can show how it will really play not just showcase another video of how bad video game journalists are at a major aspect of their job.

Ramirez

Devolution said:
I really think H4 should have 1-50 ranks in playlists based on w/l ratio and w/l against other numbered ranks. Other than boosting was there any problems with this system?

No, it prevented BKs like EazyB/Omlet/Thermight/Trasher from achieving max rank, I approve.

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
Nope. Though, I'd be fine with Slayer being K/D, and Objective being W/L. But straight W/L is nice a simple.

I just hope the cR/reward system draws such a distinction so as to avoid some of the pitfalls in Reach.

orznge

Banned
Devolution said:

"It will encourage cheating as a result of there actually being an incentive to win, so the game should not include a competitive matchmaking system" - idiots

Ramirez said:
No, it prevented BKs like EazyB/Omlet/Thermight/Trasher from achieving max rank, I approve.

I feel like they could go get them now. Its probably a cesspool of kids who got cleansed out of Reach.

GhaleonEB said:
Nope. Though, I'd be fine with Slayer being K/D, and Objective being W/L. But straight W/L is nice a simple.

I just hope the cR/reward system draws such a distinction so as to avoid some of the pitfalls in Reach.

Well I mentioned earlier in the thread I think credits should be separated from competitive rankings. Like you still accumulate credit as you do in Reach, but bring numbered ranks back to match people up better. And those competitive ranks shouldn't be a part of getting armor/swag either, because that would introduce a whole slew of problems and incentives to cheat.I just want to see something to bring back competitive games or reasons to win. As of now you can just rank up without giving a shit whether you win, just whether you get credits.

Devolution said:
DRUw5.png
I am vengeance! I am the night! I am Ton.......Can Troy Aikman come out of retirement?

orznge

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Does your suggestion of using K/D apply to Team Slayer as well? That would be really strange. Halo 2 was cool because with my group I mostly called things out and took people's shields down from out of kill range or whatever so a lot of games I would end up with a pretty "neutral" K/D but my shots hit number would be way up high.

If I am playing a team game in an organized competitive environment I, and most other people if the reaction to the initial implementation of Arena is any indication, want to gain and lose rank based wins and losses.

GhaleonEB

orznge said:
Does your suggestion of using K/D apply to Team Slayer as well? That would be really strange. Halo 2 was cool because with my group I mostly called things out and took people's shields down from out of kill range or whatever so a lot of games I would end up with a pretty "neutral" K/D but my shots hit number would be way up high.

If I am playing a team game in an organized competitive environment I, and most other people if the reaction to the initial implementation of Arena is any indication, want to gain and lose rank based wins and losses.
W/L is probably the simplest way to go. But K/D has some advantages, such as recognizing when a great player get stuck on a crappy team. Both have pros and cons, but more than anything I just want the rankings to be easy to understand again.

orznge

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
W/L is probably the simplest way to go. But K/D has some advantages, such as recognizing when a great player get stuck on a crappy team. Both have pros and cons, but more than anything I just want the rankings to be easy to understand again.

Then the best way to accommodate your idea is to have a two ranked slayer playlists, one of which you cannot enter in a party. Even then, if you played the solo playlist you would still be competing directly against your teammates and it would be in your best interest to sabotage them for power weapons, bait them, etc. It would be like exactly like Arena at release.

Booshka

orznge said:

I played the same way, I loved that there was a Shots hit tab in H2, I would get a lot of assists and put shots into everyone, while calling out constantly in H2. It was easier to defend your low kill count when people saw the amount of shots you put into the other team.

Booshka said:
I played the same way, I loved that there was a Shots hit tab in H2, I would get a lot of assists and put shots into everyone, while calling out constantly in H2. It was easier to defend your low kill count when people saw the amount of shots you put into the other team.

Yea I'd love for that stat and accuracy to come back.

Though shots hit should become damage dealt because of the variance of damage dealt by different weapons bullets.

Same with "assists". Like GoW3 does the more damage you deal the more points you get for the assist, but it should go into an individual assist stat (not sure if GoW3 does that)

If those systems were working it'd be such a nice way to show how games really played out instead of just looking at who has the most kills. Which is me, its always me! :)

GhaleonEB

orznge said:
Then the best way to accommodate your idea is to have a two ranked slayer playlists, one of which you cannot enter in a party. Even then, if you played the solo playlist you would still be competing directly against your teammates and it would be in your best interest to sabotage them for power weapons, bait them, etc. It would be like exactly like Arena at release.
Um, I'm not advocating that, have said W/L is fine, and have said so on numerous occasions. I'm just pointing out that there is no perfect solution, and that the overall reward system should distinguish Objective and Slayer.

orznge said:
"It will encourage cheating as a result of there actually being an incentive to win, so the game should not include a competitive matchmaking system" - idiots

Exactly. It's letting the cheaters spoil the fun for everyone else. What kind of message does this send out? Cheating within ranked play was vastly blown out of proportion anyway, the only lists it was notorious in were MLG and Squad.

I've also never heard such a limp argument as the 'somebody made fun of me in a videogame because I wasn't a General and it hurt my feelings therefore nobody should be able to have competitive games and a symbol/number denoting their skill level in the game'.

feel

xxjuicesxx said:
I feel like they could go get them now. Its probably a cesspool of kids who got cleansed out of Reach.
Wrong. Those guys would do much worse there, current Halo 3's social slayer makes Halo Reach's non-Arena/non-MLG competitive levels seem like a pillow fight..

Booshka

xxjuicesxx said:
Yea I'd love for that stat and accuracy to come back.

Though shots hit should become damage dealt because of the variance of damage dealt by different weapons bullets.

Same with "assists". Like GoW3 does the more damage you deal the more points you get for the assist, but it should go into an individual assist stat (not sure if GoW3 does that)

If those systems were working it'd be such a nice way to show how games really played out instead of just looking at who has the most kills. Which is me, its always me! :)
There is a Damage dealt stat in Shadowrun, it is based on the amount of damage that you dealt to a player that ends up getting killed before healing. These can be your own kills or assisted kills. It is all tied into the currency system of the game so that you don't ever really get your kill stolen, you still get money for damage dealt. It is a great metric for how well you did in a match. A lot of support players who are rifling often, but not always finishing kills will have damage numbers far above their kills.

The stat sheet would look like this.

Kills 12
Damage 15.6
Deaths 6
Resurrects 7

That would be a very good stat sheet for a player in a 4v4. There is also Accuracy and shots fired/shots hit in the scoreboard. The damage means he did enough damage to kill 15.6 players.

It seems like Gears 3 is emulating this, just with points for ranking up, instead of money to use in-game. It's a great inclusion because it helps encourage team shooting and teamplay in general.

Ramirez

Thermite said:
YOU MUTHA-
[ig]http://i55.tinypic.com/2ls8ayx.gif[/img]\

It's almost Sept. 20th, do you know where your GoW3 preorder is?

Letters said:
Wrong. Those guys would do much worse there, current Halo 3's social slayer makes Halo Reach's non-Arena/non-MLG competitive levels seem like a pillow fight..

I wouldn't even call Reach a pillowfight in non MLG playlists. We all hit 100 wins in a row the other night, like...really?

It's going to be really interesting to see if when bloom is removed if the playing field gets back to being a little more competitive. As much as I hate bloom and struggle with it at times, people who are not that great to begin with have to struggle even more so.

orznge

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Um, I'm not advocating that, have said W/L is fine, and have said so on numerous occasions. I'm just pointing out that there is no perfect solution, and that the overall reward system should distinguish Objective and Slayer.

Distinguish them in what way? Both, assuming we are talking about team-based slayer gametypes and team-based objective gametypes, have a winning team and a losing team.

If you do not use wins and losses as the basis for the ranking system then it is almost guaranteed that the optimal way to play is going to pit you against your "teammates".

Ramirez said:
It's almost Sept. 20th, do you know where your GoW3 preorder is?

I wouldn't even call Reach a pillowfight in non MLG playlists. We all hit 100 wins in a row the other night, like...really?

It's going to be really interesting to see if when bloom is removed if the playing field gets back to being a little more competitive. As much as I hate bloom and struggle with it at times, people who are not that great to begin with have to struggle even more so.
preorder? lol

Booshka

orznge said:
Distinguish them in what way? Both, assuming we are talking about team-based slayer gametypes and team-based objective gametypes, have a winning team and a losing team.

If you do not use wins and losses as the basis for the ranking system then it is almost guaranteed that the optimal way to play is going to pit you against your "teammates".
How about a metric based on how well you play per life. So you are rated for your contributions during every individual life throughout the game. Did you shoot an enemy, and get an assist, kill someone, pick up the objective, hold the objective in Hill or Oddball, how far did you carry the flag to the goal for CTF?

Stopping the objective, returning the objective, getting kills close to the objective. Protecting teammates that have the objective. Picking up power weapons, or protecting teammates that pickup power weapons. Betrayals would have a minor, moderate or severe penalty depending on how much damage you did to lead to the betrayal. If it was a stray bullet that killed the player, or a accidental nade that kills a very weak teammate, it could be considered minor. If you do enough damage to drop their shields, or drain all their health when their shields are down, that could be moderate. If you cause all damage that would be severe. Penalties would stack as well, you couldn't do minor damage then let them get shields back over and over.

A metric like this would have to be very complicated and comprehensive, but it could properly rate a player's talent outside of the usual K/D and W/L. W/L should always be the biggest priority when rating a player, but a "Quality of Life" metric as I would call it, could help TrueSkill or whatever ranking system a game uses.

Booshka said:

Yes.

I even miss Clans, as stupid as that sounds. It was a great way to play with people if your friend list was maxed out.

Retro

Devolution said:
And those competitive ranks shouldn't be a part of getting armor/swag either, because that would introduce a whole slew of problems and incentives to cheat.

Maybe tie the majority of them to an ODST-esque hub world from which the various single-player missions branch off. Hidden within the hub world are all the various armor/swag rewards, players just need to find them, though several are buried deep in the Forerunner ruins and wilderness, some behind doors with elaborate mechanisms that span the entire hub space. Some would only be accessible on higher difficulty levels, obviously.

The rest of them are unlocked with achievements, with said achievements being more skill based ("Triple Kill", "Running Riot", etc.) rather than random lol-type stuff that forces players to act like morons in MM to unlock them ("Splatter 5 people in a single match using a mongoose while driving a player carrying an objective").

Rank should be all about pairing players together, not swag. I'm absolutely a whore about wanting my Spartan to look badass, but absolutely a bitch about having to farm Cr to do so.

Kuroyume

Banned
Devolution said:

It turned people into really creepy obnoxious aholes that were obsessed with the number. Nothing like getting matched into a game and getting blasted by some sociopath for not using my mic. Like, I'm the fucking antichrist or something because I don't want to communicate with them. Somehow being at the smallest disadvantage was a life or death scenario to them. I think the change made sense just to tone down that kind of behavior. In the beginning I liked that Bungie went in the direction they did with Reach as far as that stuff goes but I didn't expect to see so many AFKers trying to get cR as one of the effects of the change. Still not sure if the AFK situation is any worse than H3, but it's bad nonetheless.

Anyway, I put everyone on mute a little bit after Reach came out so I would be okay with it returning although I don't think it's going to make people any more competative or AFK any less. I think the competition thing was destroyed when games started to reward gamers for very easy tasks. Now winning isn't as important as getting a bunch of numbers so you can unlock a new weapon, ability, or armor. The AFK thing will always be a problem. It was a problem in H3 and that didn't have any cR like system.

Retro

Kuroyume said:
It turned people into really creepy obnoxious aholes that were obsessed with the number. Nothing like getting matched into a game and getting blasted by some sociopath for not using my mic.

Damn near everyone I see with a Mic in Reach is already in a private party, so nobody can hear them anyways. The few who aren't are usually obnoxious trolls.

Top Bottom