• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

orznge

Banned
Kuroyume said:
It turned people into really creepy obnoxious aholes that were obsessed with the number. Nothing like getting matched into a game and getting blasted by some sociopath for not using my mic. Like, I'm the fucking antichrist or something because I don't want to communicate with them. Somehow being at the smallest disadvantage was a life or death scenario to them. I think the change made sense just to tone down that kind of behavior. In the beginning I liked that Bungie went in the direction they did with Reach as far as that stuff goes but I didn't expect to see so many AFKers trying to get cR as one of the effects of the change. Still not sure if the AFK situation is any worse than H3, but it's bad nonetheless.

Anyway, I put everyone on mute a little bit after Reach came out so I would be okay with it returning although I don't think it's going to make people any more competative or AFK any less. I think the competition thing was destroyed when games started to reward gamers for very easy tasks. Now winning isn't as important as getting a bunch of numbers so you can unlock a new weapon, ability, or armor. The AFK thing will always be a problem. It was a problem in H3 and that didn't have any cR like system.

It's actually awesome how it makes people crazy.

Oh I also forgot about how people would actually buy and sell Clan/Player accounts at 50 or pay some people to boost them to 50.

Getting those messages was always pretty lulzy. Hell I even found one I saved from h3 because I found it hilarious:

willsmith50.jpg

feel

23t0cpu.jpg

Award credit bonus based on distance walked:

AFK? No cR

Sniping entire match from base? You get very low cR

Crouch camping a lot? You get low cR

Rubberbanding sticks? Your spartan won't be traveling much past walls, very low cR

Kept going towards enemy bases to steal objectives or teammates in need of help? You're rich bitch

Striker

Devolution said:
I really think H4 should have 1-50 ranks in playlists based on w/l ratio and w/l against other numbered ranks. Other than boosting was there any problems with this system?
I'll take a 1-50 as long as it is difficult to rank up. Make it actually challenging to reach the 30's and low 40's.

Letters said:
23t0cpu.jpg

Award credits based on distance walked:

AFK? No cR

Sniping entire match from base? You get very low cR

Crouch camping a lot? You get low cR

Rubberbanding sticks? Your spartan won't be traveling much past walls, very low cR

Kept going all the way into bases to steal objectives or teammates in need of help? You're rich bitch

Terrible idea. God I hope you were being sarcastic.

Secret to getting all that rage msg's is to play like a dick, teabag and beat kids down, shoot their dead bodies and watch them roll in. You of course lose halo honor when you do this so your choice.

Ramirez said:
Someone say Halo 3 messages?

Bitter man about Bungie Fav video...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/sopro.jpg

One of my many fans from Halo 3...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/TJRamires.jpg

And someone who thinks I'm mexican and felt the need to get racist on me...

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii239/TJRamirez3/racist.jpg

I used to spam this one on 4chan (and I posted it way back in one of the OTs) but it really is my prize piece of rage:

2EF6a.jpg

Ramirez

kylej said:
http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/6/7/9/6/ray_can_t_see_shit.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

They are small, I never knew why back then.

1st guy is telling me Im so pro for being able to stick back to back people on gold/purple lifts on Construct, and that he called up Final Boss because they were looking for leet sticky players and they're gonna add me to the team. 2nd pic says "I luv you and can I do something 4 u 4 recon?", his GT is TJ Ramires. 3rd on says "dam wetback".

I would like to see the commendations make some sort of comeback in Halo 4.

With some obvious retooling they could be really fun, something to do after you get all of those crazy achievablements.

vhfive

Devolution said:
Yes.

I even miss Clans, as stupid as that sounds. It was a great way to play with people if your friend list was maxed out.
I wish MS would overhaul the friend system and allow more friends with the ability to group friends

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
lol I still got the best message. It was a voice message though

Although it wasn't a message, that game Juices posted a few weeks ago of that kid freaking out every time he got near us was about on par with that one.

If I would actually leave team & party off I'd probably hear a lot of funny stuff. We got matched up with some kids last night that quit in the lobby, and one of them sends Eazy a message saying "you're way too good, hope we never get matched up again." lol wtf...

Havok

Devolution said:
Yes.

I even miss Clans, as stupid as that sounds. It was a great way to play with people if your friend list was maxed out.
Clan Battle was awesome. You were ranked as a team, so you had an incentive to work together, and it meant you'd be better matched with teams all of a similar skill. Some of my favorite moments were in that playlist. Against KSI. Destroying them. 'Cause they were universally terrible.

And on ranks...they have a decent W/L ranking system in the game. Arena divisions are the best we can hope for during Reach's life, and is there a reason they couldn't be implemented across competitive playlists? We won't see a 1-50 system in Reach, why not have the next best thing? Force the same qualifying games across Slayer, Objective, whatever, then let it dynamically change across your career's life, as it does now, without the periodic resets. Works for Starcraft (although that does reset, but you only have to play five qualifying games period).

GhaleonEB

orznge said:
Distinguish them in what way? Both, assuming we are talking about team-based slayer gametypes and team-based objective gametypes, have a winning team and a losing team.

If you do not use wins and losses as the basis for the ranking system then it is almost guaranteed that the optimal way to play is going to pit you against your "teammates".
Um, are you dense? Please read the post you just quoted again. I was talking about the investment system. I said 'reward system', and in the post you initially quoted I said, "cR/reward system". As in, don't pay out cR based on duration in objective games as Reach does, because that encourages kill grinding and flag holding. This has been gone over many times before.

Ramirez said:
Although it wasn't a message, that game Juices posted a few weeks ago of that kid freaking out every time he got near us was about on par with that one.

If I would actually leave team & party off I'd probably hear a lot of funny stuff. We got matched up with some kids last night that quit in the lobby, and one of them sends Eazy a message saying "you're way too good, hope we never get matched up again." lol wtf...

Such calm music as kid gets so mad.

At one point he says "TJ Ryan fuck you"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:

Show me! I have to see it

GhaleonEB said:
Um, are you dense? Please read the post you just quoted again. I was talking about the investment system. I said 'reward system', and in the post you initially quoted I said, "cR/reward system". As in, don't pay out cR based on duration in objective games as Reach does, because that encourages kill grinding and flag holding. This has been gone over many times before.

I've never heard that before.

"Are you dense"

In my tired stupor I can't stop laughing XD

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I've never heard that before.

"Are you dense"

In my tired stupor I can't stop laughing XD
It came across harsher than I meant it. He asking me to justify a matchmaking schism when I'm talking about making sure the reward system is improved. After a long day at work I read that post and was flummoxed.

Tashi0106 said:
:lol :lol I just watched Juices's video. That shit was fucking great.

Best part was him telling us to go play CoD. Oh and complaining about so called power weapons when most of the time we were using DMRs, dude was channeling Fyrewulff or something.

Someone who programs get on writing a script that goes through all my games and collects all the gamertags of kids I've cleansed.

Then thebkcleansing.com can come to life.

Tunavi

Banned
When the title update/CEA launches, there should be a playlist with the Reach maps and classic settings.

Slayer/Objective, no bloom, faster/high jump, no AA's, Overshield. Would play.

or would you guys be okay with seeing Zealot, Powerhouse, Countdown, Reflection, and Boardwalk with low weighting in the classic++ playlist? I would.

Havok

Tunavi said:
When the title update/CEA launches, there should be a playlist with the Reach maps and classic settings.

Slayer/Objective, no bloom, faster/high jump, no AA's, Overshield. Would play.

or would you guys be okay with seeing Zealot, Powerhouse, Countdown, Reflection, and Boardwalk with low weighting in the classic++ playlist? I would.
I'd prefer that they stay in their own playlists with a classic variant thrown in so you could conceivably get Classic Slayer on Zealot or whatever in TS or Squad, the same way that Slayer Pro is in TS, at least for the first few months.

Boardwalk can burn to the ground, at least until they make objective games playable on it.

Of all those, Zealot is the only one that I think could conceivably enter the status of 'classic map' and be fondly remembered. And even then those annoying lower gravity lifts that you have to fuss with to make work kind of sour it. Reflection is a sad shadow of Ivory Tower, and Powerhouse is okay, but is too stacked with power weapons.

Tunavi

Banned
Havok said:
I'd prefer that they stay in their own playlists with a classic variant thrown in so you could conceivably get Classic Slayer on Zealot or whatever in TS or Squad, the same way that Slayer Pro is in TS, at least for the first few months.
Well Classic 4v4 will be Damnation, Hang Em High, Battle Creek, Prisoner.
Classic BTB will be Timberlands, Headlong, Hang em High.

Not enough maps for 2 single playlists IMO.

Havok

Tunavi said:
Well Classic 4v4 will be Damnation, Hang Em High, Battle Creek, Prisoner.
Classic BTB will be Timberlands, Headlong, Hang em High.

Not enough maps for 2 single playlists IMO.
You're not wrong. Reflection would be fine, since it's a remake, and so would Hemo, if it received the necessary attention. I only really have a problem with Boardwalk on that list, but I'd hope that the additions would be gradual rather than all at once.

ElRenoRaven

Good lord. It's been awhile. See the thread is plowing along. I so need to get back to playing some Halo again. It's been a busy damn week or so. I so have to take some time and get caught up with it tomorrow if I can.

Tunavi

Banned
IMO, at launch CEA should stick to 4 core playlists.

CEA 4v4 Slayer - Damnation, Hang Em High, Battle Creek, Prisoner, Reflection [Zealot, Countdown, Powerhouse = low weighting]
CEA Objective
CEA FFA
CEA BTB - Headlong, Timberlands, Hang Em High, Hemorrhage/Coagulation (Warthogs and ghosts only, Nuetral rocket spawn). Slayer/Objective.

Then on the vanilla side:
Team Slayer
Squad Slayer (Sprint only)
Team Objective (Sprint only), Zero bloom, AR/pistol (5sk) starts
Rumble Pit
MLG
BTB (DLC required, there are no launch Reach BTB maps)
Living Dead (Community maps only)
Invasion (no banshee/tank/shotgun/sword loadouts)
Premium - 6v6. ALL DLC, Slayer/Objective.

FyreWulff

Havok said:
Dream on.

Solid ideas, but that's not gonna happen.

It's possible for BTB to require DLC.. there's no BTB specific achievements on-disc.

They'd need to make Stockpile more plentiful elsewhere, though.

Also, historically BTB has been one of earlier playlists to get the DLC requirement treatment.

Top Bottom