• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Booshka said:
I think Oasis and Pit are confirmed, and I am pretty sure that at least one King gametype will be in.
That's exciting. Question though, in what ways does sprint break Pit?

Booshka

Tashi0106 said:
That's exciting. Question though, in what ways does sprint break Pit?
With Sprint and the range of the DMR, it really shrinks the map. It is large, but those two factors make it play small. As in, there is less setups and they are hard to keep. It still looks pretty good, but the map plays a lot differently and really doesn't play in the spirit of Pit, especially TS, which had a lot of epic standoffs and back and forth map control in H3, now in Reach it is more free flowing and chaotic.

Tashi

Booshka said:
With Sprint and the range of the DMR, it really shrinks the map. It is large, but those two factors make it play small. As in, there is less setups and they are hard to keep. It still looks pretty good, but the map plays a lot differently and really doesn't play in the spirit of Pit, especially TS, which had a lot of epic standoffs and back and forth map control in H3, now in Reach it is more free flowing and chaotic.
Hmmm. You would think the massive wall in the middle would preserve the gameplay. Well, I can't wait to try it out.

Booshka said:

Is there a time frame as to when v6 is to be released?

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
I never got to a 45 in Halo 3. And I know what's fun. The game requires a broad spectrum of players to enjoy it and for it to be enjoyable. The game needs to be fun and satisfying for "bad kids" as well as MLG Pros. It needs to appropriately match players with each other so that each is having the most enjoyable experience practical.
Drop some Classic++ vids BK

xxjuicesxx said:
Halo 3 was garbage.
This is terrible. God I hope you are being sarcastic.

Booshka said:
Devo saves my life with a showstopper to preserve my perfect game. Clutch.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=796335493&player=Booshka
Clutch indeed. How many kills did you have by that time?

Retro

senador said:
Say you were magic and could make Halo iterations and developments "perfect". What would you want from the newest game if the previous one was so great?

I was actually going to ask something similar, a "What would you do if the slate was clean"-type question. I dunno that I personally could lay it all out without looking like a complete moron, and there are too many things I just don't remember clearly enough to pin down, but a few bullet points;

- More maps with unique mechanics (Zanzibar, High Ground), less static maps. Not only do they make objective-based games more interesting, but they can break up the pace and flow of straight up slayer matches too.

- Better Matchmaking options. Rather than break up things up into a shitload of different gametypes, have less lobbies but more 'behind the scenes' sorting into various gameplay hoppers. For example, if you have a Guest in your group, you are automatically put into a hopper with other people with guests, and never with people who don't. You're still picking Slayer or Objective, but the grouping and gametypes you actually play end up different (i.e. No Snipers with Guests).

If people bitch and want to have their guests in stuff like Snipers, let THEM make custom games for it rather than US (us being regular MM participants).

- Improved Forge, with simpler (i.e. less prone to clusterfucking) spawning and gametype setup at the very least. More textural options at least, terrain editing by some kind of miracle. Instead of pre-built worlds to forge in, give players the ability to pick terrain, lighting, skybox, etc. In short, no more gray/blue everything. And for the love of god, no more piece counts. I've got tons of budget left but I'm fucked because you only give me 50 of the respectable building objects.

- Direct to Youtube uploading of theater videos. Yeah, it's fluffy, but it's useful, community-building fluff. I would love to be able to create a map in forge, do a quick fly-thru of it, and have people looking at it within the hour.

- Reboot the weapons; sometimes it feels like some weapons are redundant (NR and DMR, Sword and Hammer, etc.), but kept because they're part of the Halo 'look'. So start with a clean slate. Give each weapon a proper, unique niche based on range, ammo, rate of fire, etc., so that there's little to no overlap. The AR is despised; it need not be if it were given a proper niche to fill instead of just "Here, this is the crappiest gun, have fun".

- Probably some tweaks to health and armor regen, so 1v1 feels smooth, but 1v2 isn't a foregone conclusion.

aaaaand considering I started this post and then walked away from it, and the rate at which this thread moves, no one will know what I am talking about... but probably pick apart my post just the same as Very Bad Ideas. Assuming anyone even reads it...

Booshka

Letters said:
Clutch indeed. How many kills did you have by that time?
I had 13, right after she saved my life I picked up a double kill for the Running Riot, then went on to get 4 more kills. I wasn't even sure what happened at the time, had to think about it later lol. I'll make a clip of it later.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The game needs to be fun and satisfying for "bad kids" as well as MLG Pros. It needs to appropriately match players with each other so that each is having the most enjoyable experience practical.

A renewed focus on skill matching in future Halo? I hope so. As much as it's frustrating playing with poor players who go heavily neg, at the very least I'm having some fun going plus 10-30 every game. I can't imagine Reach is fun nor satisfying for bee to the k's, getting defecated on practically every game because the game see's fit to pit them against high level players frequently.

Say what you like about 1-50 but a player level locked at '10' would only play against players between 1 and 20 (barring skewed party's). In Reach (theoretical) 50's are playing against staff captains in every playlist regularly.

Seeing as we'll be getting zero bloom slayer soon, will we have the option to play competitive ranked games with those settings? If not 1-50 then at least an arena off-shoot with no bloom on the anniversary maps (where appropriate). It would suck to only see the new maps in a social setting.

Tawpgun

Regarding casual vs hardcore...

It's been my belief if you're making a game that needs to appeal to both, the best option is to build it for the hardcore first. Let those options that make it hardcore be available in the game.

Then if you feel it needs to be more a accessible, add that functionality into it.

Booshka

So, Juices stream runs at about 5 FPS for me
slightly worse than what Reach runs on Forge World
but I got this mid-air assassination on his stream that I clipped out. Hopefully your computer and internet can handle it so you can see what is going on. If not, just enjoy my devilish laugh.

http://www.justin.tv/booshka/b/295017272

I get to discuss Halo a lot in my course this year! I have an AI module where I have to give a presentation on the AI found in FPS titles. Not only that but I have found a lecturer who is very interested in supervising my final year project to make a Halo game in XNA that uses the API that Bungie provides. He had some really cool ideas for it too. Can't wait! But wait, there's more! In another module I'll get to research the kind of job I'd like and identify industry figures I'd aspire to be. I'm really enjoying this year so far.

Booshka

Hydranockz said:
I get to discuss Halo a lot in my course this year! I have an AI module where I have to give a presentation on the AI found in FPS titles. Not only that but I have found a lecturer who is very interested in supervising my final year project to make a Halo game in XNA that uses the API that Bungie provides. He had some really cool ideas for it too. Can't wait! But wait, there's more! In another module I'll get to research the kind of job I'd like and identify industry figures I'd aspire to be. I'm really enjoying this year so far.
Look into Unreal Tournament Bots, they are amazing. UT2K4 is a good one to check out.

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair Reach feels nicer in terms of FOV. Halo 3's FOV was disgusting.

One of the best changes from H3 to Reach. One of the main reasons I can't go back and play Halo 3 is the FOV. I hated the FOV then, and now I hate it even more.

Dax01 said:
It's not the fourteenth until it's fourteenth in America.

#America

This post is truth.

Tashi, although not officially released yet, these are apparently the 11 gametypes for MLG v6:
  • TS Countdown
  • CTF Countdown
  • TS Zealot
  • CTF Zealot
  • TS Sanctuary
  • CTF Sanctuary
  • TS Oasis
  • King Oasis
  • King Nexus
  • TS Pit
  • CTF Pit

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
Why? The fun/accessibility won't be harmed. The core of the game is built with competition in mind. That's the skeleton of the game. Then the meat is added in.
You design a product based around consumer demand. The casuals far outnumber the hardcore in Halo. Then you have games like UT and CS that are built around the hardcore and super competitive play

Tawpgun

Can you guys not read?

I want the CORE of the game, the basics, to be built for the hardcore in mind. Have those exact settings be available in customs. Then from there, tweak settings/add mechanics that make it more casual.

Everyone wins?

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
Can you guys not read?

I want the CORE of the game, the basics, to be built for the hardcore in mind. Have those exact settings be available in customs. Then from there, tweak settings/add mechanics that make it more casual.

Everyone wins?

Except that you can't predict what the hardcore will want until the game is out. Hell, they couldn't predict what the Grifball community wanted.

Tashi

FyreWulff said:
Except that you can't predict what the hardcore will want until the game is out. Hell, they couldn't predict what the Grifball community wanted.
No one knows what they want.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
There are some basics.

Even ground. Fast speed. Agility. Consistent weaponry.

The point is, have the options for those things. MLG comes close to creating the perfect hardcore environment but you cant get rid of the sluggish movement and bloom.

Booshka

MrBig said:
You design a product based around consumer demand. The casuals far outnumber the hardcore in Halo. Then you have games like UT and CS that are built around the hardcore and super competitive play
When games like Unreal and Quake were made, I doubt they were designed with high level pro play as the main priority. It was just the game that they were interested in making. They happened to be great for high level play and casuals. I guess it also has to do with the PC market being more hardcore, but I don't think the designers were specifically thinking how pro level players would play their games when designing it. Things like Strafe jumping (Quake/UT) and Skiing (Tribes) weren't even planned, but the game mechanics and physics had a lot of depth, which led to high level players learning these techniques for competitive play.

I just wish that console shooters were built from the top down, you build and design game mechanics that have a lot of depth and complexity, and that require skill. Then playtest, playtest, playtest and playtest more. Sure some casual players aren't able to strafe jump in PC Arena shooters, but that mechanic adds so much to high level players, and not using it doesn't make the game less fun, just less complex and less rewarding. It comes down to balance, and asking the player to learn and get better at skill based mechanics, if a player loses to another player that is better at a skill based mechanic than them, then so be it. Let the better player win, don't be so afraid that the players that spend the most time and effort playing your game will be better than those that don't. That will and does happen anyway, so make it more consistent and rewarding for the good players, so they don't feel cheated out of a kill, or die due to blatant luck. This will also make the high level play, with talented players on both sides more competitive for both sides, and less random and frustrating.

Shadowrun's total critical and commercial failure, along with CoD's mindblowing success pretty much guarantees that games won't be designed like I would like them to be. I just wish that the core mechanics of moving and shooting in console FPS games had more depth and complexity available to high level players, casuals probably wouldn't notice either way. So, why not give the talented and dedicated players more tools to exhibit their skills while adding to the overall competitive merit of the game.

Ramirez

BackdoorBeauty said:
dat bloom

2nbenet.jpg

lmao...

I was worried that his team was gonna spawn on me, which they did.

Thanks for rendering it, Stephen.

For the new page...

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23409954&player=TJ Ram

Booshka

Rickenslacker said:
I really need to grab a copy of Shadowrun.
I would tell you to download the demo, but I think it has been de-listed off the marketplace. Pick it up for cheap if you like, if only to try it out as research. If you enjoy it then great, I'll play it with you also if you would like.

MrBig

Booshka said:
When games like Unreal and Quake were made, I doubt they were designed with high level pro play as the main priority.
I was not referring to the original, first releases of those games. That would be a moronic assumption to make. I was specifically referring to how they are now. The hardcore owns those games and the casuals get kicked out when they try to play them. Halo is not and will never be that.

cory021

Neo Member
MrBig said:
That just kind of got me thinking. Would a game designed for hardcore players sell better than a gamer designed for casuals? I assume the two factors that determine whether a person buys a game are its advertising (since that's usually their only exposure to the game) and reviews. Would designing a game for hardcore players necessarily reduce a casual player's interest in buying that game?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:
Can you guys not read?

Everyone wins?

I can read just fine. First of all, you need to define casual and hardcore. There's no real consensus on what these terms mean. I can state right now that the majority of players actively playing Reach could be labeled as "hardcore" and easily justify it. I doubt you'd agree with my reasoning and you could easily provide an equally valid counter argument and entirely different definition of the term which would be as equally valid as my own definition.

So say we reach a consensus on who these "hardcore" players are, then you need to measure the size of this particular slice of the audience. Considering how many millions each individual Halo game has sold, would this "hardcore" audience make up a single percentage of the overall audience? More or less?

As a developer, you need to be able to justify your decisions. You'd need to make a very strong case to explain why you've decided to spend the majority of the development resources with just one percent or less of the total audience in mind. You'd have to be arrogantly confident that you'll be able to scale your work out to the other ninety nine percent of audience later on down the development timescale.

After defining all of this, you have to then look at the actual gameplay elements. Which areas and elements are "hardcore" or play a significant role in how the hardcore audience interacts with the game. Which settings are hardcore? What gameplay mechanics are hardcore? What about new gameplay ideas - are new gameplay ideas hardcore enough to work on at the beginning of development, because leaving new gameplay ideas to the end of development can't result in a lack of polish?

Designing for the hardcore is a lovely mantra. It's the mantra that various Blizzard employees started to sing about during SDC and it's passing around. It's not some universal golden rule. You can't simply apply to everything and suddenly everything is going to be improved, particularly when it comes to pre-existing franchises that come with player expectations built up over ten years of ongoing evolution.

It's naive to assume one particular section of the audience is the superior one and by catering the entire development of a game around them, the game will end up better for everyone else by default.

The development and exploration of game mechanics and granular gameplay elements should not be developed in isolation from any segment of the audience.

Booshka said:
I would tell you to download the demo, but I think it has been de-listed off the marketplace. Pick it up for cheap if you like, if only to try it out as research. If you enjoy it then great, I'll play it with you also if you would like.
Yeah I figure I'll enjoy it. Just need to actually find a copy somewhere. Might have to order online if my searches prove futile.

orznge

Banned
Dani said:
I can read just fine. First of all, you need to define casual and hardcore. There's no real consensus on what these terms mean. I can state right now that the majority of players actively playing Reach could be labeled as "hardcore" and easily justify it. I doubt you'd agree with my reasoning and you could easily provide an equally valid counter argument and entirely different definition of the term which would be as equally valid as my own definition.

So say we reach a consensus on who these "hardcore" players are, then you need to measure the size of this particular slice of the audience. Considering how many millions each individual Halo game has sold, would this "hardcore" audience make up a single percentage of the overall audience? More or less?

As a developer, you need to be able to justify your decisions. You'd need to make a very strong case to explain why you've decided to spend the majority of the development resources with just one percent or less of the total audience in mind. You'd have to be arrogantly confident that you'll be able to scale your work out to the other ninety nine percent of audience later on down the development timescale.

After defining all of this, you have to then look at the actual gameplay elements. Which areas and elements are "hardcore" or play a significant role in how the hardcore audience interacts with the game. Which settings are hardcore? What gameplay mechanics are hardcore? What about new gameplay ideas - are new gameplay ideas hardcore enough to work on at the beginning of development, because leaving new gameplay ideas to the end of development can't result in a lack of polish?

Designing for the hardcore is a lovely mantra. It's the mantra that various Blizzard employees started to sing about during SDC and it's passing around. It's not some universal golden rule. You can't simply apply to everything and suddenly everything is going to be improved, particularly when it comes to pre-existing franchises that come with player expectations built up over ten years of ongoing evolution.

It's naive to assume one particular section of the audience is the superior one and by catering the entire development of a game around them, the game will end up better for everyone else by default.

The development and exploration of game mechanics and granular gameplay elements should not be developed in isolation from any segment of the audience.

Each subsequent game after Halo CE has had it's skill ceiling significantly decreased. We would like the game to have a higher skill ceiling so it is more fun to play. We would like to see some basic parts of the game improved such as the player movement, the magnetism and autoaim, the settings that are included to make gametypes, and having maps for multiplayer that were designed to have a multiplayer FPS (specifically a Halo game) played on them.

Farooq

Banned
Booshka said:

I bought it on demand about a year and half ago, I try to get into privates, but the community is too close nit.

So all I play is pubs.

Booshka said:
Shadowrun's total critical and commercial failure, along with CoD's mindblowing success pretty much guarantees that games won't be designed like I would like them to be. I just wish that the core mechanics of moving and shooting in console FPS games had more depth and complexity available to high level players, casuals probably wouldn't notice either way. So, why not give the talented and dedicated players more tools to exhibit their skills while adding to the overall competitive merit of the game.

This is so spot on. The ease of entry and low learning curve of CoD is one of the reasons why it is one of the most successful franchises right now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
xxjuicesxx said:
Ill play Shadowrun with you noobs.

I have an extra copy too if one of you clowns wants to hop on too.

This weekend or something.
I bought it for a dollar when GFW was having it on sale. I played it like once.

Top Bottom