• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Farooq

Banned
Devolution said:
How does this question negate my point?

Sorry, I was just trying to come up with a reason why he didn't want to quit. Then illustrate the irony of Bungie trying to prevent something and it not working.

I think the only real way to prevent quitting is to show a persons DNF%.

But your point is spot on, if the the entire team quits there should be a mercy mechanism.

neoism said:
Reach is the best shooter out NOW and will be for another 12-14 months. Stop bitching for a page or two. :/

Let's say it is the best shooter out right now. That's more depressing than any whining said in this very thread.

/brutal honesty

Farooq said:
Sorry, I was just trying to come up with a reason why he didn't want to quit. Then illustrate the irony of Bungie trying to prevent something and it not working.

Oh I get why he wouldn't have wanted to. It just seems silly to me to penalize the last person left on a team. Give them an option to end it and sweeten the deal by erasing the loss (or a bunch of credits something.)

orznge

Banned
neoism said:
Reach is the best shooter out NOW and will be for another 12-14 months. Stop bitching for a page or two. :/

Basically every post you make is absurdly entry-level with regard to having any kind of self-awareness about game design and is painful to read.

neoism

Letters said:
Is my statement false....no
Devolution said:
Let's say it is the best shooter out right now. That's more depressing than any whining said in this very thread.

/brutal honesty
Sucks you hate it devo but its true. Maybe you should move to PC shooters or something.

neoism said:
ISucks you hate it devo but its true. Maybe you should move to PC shooters or something.

Funny enough I was thinking about it. I miss straight up shit like Q3A and UT. You know games in which people actually die when you shoot at them.

neoism

Then illustrate the irony of Bungie trying to prevent something and it not working.

But your point is spot on, if the the entire team quits there should be a mercy mechanism.
prevent quitting ....
lol
quitting will exist as long as long as online games exist. if a guy doesn't want to quit and go -20 its his business.

Farooq

Banned
Devolution said:
Funny enough I was thinking about it. I miss straight up shit like Q3A and UT. You know games in which people actually die when you shoot at them.

Unreal 99, CS, and Unreal 2k4 is probably the most fun I have had with online shooters.

Halo 2 is up there, but man unreal was so fun.

neoism said:
prevent quitting ....
lol
quitting will exist as long as long as online games exist. if a guy doesn't want to quit and go -20 its his business.

I think me using the word prevent was wrong. I would replace the word with "lessen".

To lessen the amount of quitting, first and foremost the gametypes/map election have to be up to par.

But I really think showing how much people quit could have a lessening effect. Depending on how much the overal community quits say 2-5% of games on average, a dude with 15-20% DNF% would feel pretty bad. And it may provide the player with a little more incentive to stay in the game.

feel

They should straight up remove a significant ammount of credits for each quit (even if it's your ISP's fault).

neoism said:
Is my statement false....no
If it's your sincere opinion, it can't be false or wrong. I'm sincerely jealous of you and Tashi tbh. It kills me to hate the current Halo game.

Ramirez

orznge said:
Basically every post you make is absurdly entry-level with regard to having any kind of self-awareness about game design and is painful to read.

SIT-DOWN-SHOTS-SIG_1548531i.jpg

if a guy doesn't want to quit and go -20 its his business.

I'm sorry, but no team should have to endure one guy for 10 minutes because they made the other people quit out.

neoism

Letters said:
If it's your sincere opinion, it can't be false or wrong. I'm sincerely jealous of you and Tashi tbh. It kills me to hate the current Halo game.
no doubt I really hope I'm not on your side for 4, but I'm a really big campaign dude so no worries. As long as you don't have to be a pro, and they don't make it as hardcore as CS or something I should be fine with it. sprint please Frankie... :( kthksbye :p

neoism said:
prevent quitting ....
lol

Are you being deliberately obtuse. I said the fucking option, meaning if he wants to he can say "no I want to troll these people on the other team and ruin their fun too." But it wouldn't hurt to give him the choice now would it?

FFS I can't deal much longer with people deliberately reading my posts wrong.

Homeboyd

Hey, probably stupid question.. but I saw a kid pick up a copy of Reach at Best Buy today and it made me think. Since 343 has taken over Reach and MS owns Halo now, where does the money go? It's still Bungie's product so I would assume the money goes to Bungie/MS, but I didn't know if since MS owns the franchise now and 343 is managing it, how that would effect things in terms of sales beyong Aug. 2, 2011.

LEGGZZZZ

neoism said:

Wow.

That said, Reach can be fun at times for sure, kept me entertained for a while. They really need to improve some things for Halo 4 though.

Hey You

Homeboyd said:
Hey, probably stupid question.. but I saw a kid pick up a copy of Reach at Best Buy today and it made me think. Since 343 has taken over Reach and MS owns Halo now, where does the money go? It's still Bungie's product so I would assume the money goes to Bungie/MS, but I didn't know if since MS owns the franchise now and 343 is managing it, how that would effect things in terms of sales beyong Aug. 2, 2011.
I always wondered this as well, for all Halo games as well.

Since bungie developed it, I would think they would still get the same amount of the sale as they did before August 2nd. Microsoft is (obviously) paying 343i for their work, but I doubt they get any Reach (or other Halo money beside defiant) money directly.

That will all change after Halo CEA of course, but I think Bungie still deserves money from the sales of the Halo games they've developed.

Makes sense, but of course I'm not an expert and we don't know the deal between Microsoft and Bungie.

neoism

Devolution said:
Are you being deliberately obtuse. I said the fucking option, meaning if he wants to he can say "no I want to troll these people on the other team and ruin their fun too." But it wouldn't hurt to give him the choice now would it?

I didn't read it wrong.

Retro

So, I guess I'll be on in about 10-15 minutes, so if anyone wants to take potshots at a scrub, just send me an invite or something. If anyone feels like being pulled into a vortex of suckage from which there is no escape, we can test my map. Always looking for good, constructive feedback.

And hey, since I know the map, I might just be able to give you a run for your money (not likely).

Devolution said:

That's good to know, though I'm surprised you can cope with it so well. I personally would have gotten sick of people doing that by now, but you're a real trooper.

2e69d1y.jpg

FyreWulff

Homeboyd said:

All depends on if they were paid for Reach as a lump sum or royalties are involved. If it's a royalty setup then they still make money off of Reach.

Count me in the Neoism and Tashi camp. This game is really fun for me. I can't imagine playing a game where all I can tell my friends is day after day of how bad it is. I'd find another game...

senador

Banned
Retro said:

Nah, those are all pretty good ideas. I don't care so much for the moving mechanics on maps as much as maps designed with certain goals and for objective games though.

That's not exactly what I meant by my questions though. I was trying to see what people want out of sequels. Say they nail Halo 4, and everyone likes it; its balanced, its quick paced, new players can get into it, etc. What would people even want for Halo 5? Just more maps?

Dani said:

Good post. Whether we agree with it or not, you kind of have to stop and think about it from a developers stand point. If you/we don't agree with that, we'd have to go out and prove otherwise by making your own game.

SeveralOfYouPeople said:
Talk of hardcore gameplay

Just how "hardcore" do some of you want Halo? I play Halo for a reason. I don't want really hardcore gameplay and really fast kill times. I want something between Reach and Halo 2 for kill times. 4 or even 5 shot is fine with me. I like to be able to react to shots being fired at me instead of just dying.

I say this all the time, but man, 343 has a helluva task. Good luck to them.

neoism

Hydranockz said:
Count me in the Neoism and Tashi camp. This game is really fun for me. I can't imagine playing a game where all I can tell my friends is day after day of how bad it is. I'd find another game...
fucking this.

senador

Banned
thee henery said:
OuterWorldVoice said:
The game needs to be fun and satisfying for "bad kids" as well as MLG Pros. It needs to appropriately match players with each other so that each is having the most enjoyable experience practical.]
A renewed focus on skill matching in future Halo? I hope so. As much as it's frustrating playing with poor players who go heavily neg, at the very least I'm having some fun going plus 10-30 every game. I can't imagine Reach is fun nor satisfying for bee to the k's, getting defecated on practically every game because the game see's fit to pit them against high level players frequently.

Say what you like about 1-50 but a player level locked at '10' would only play against players between 1 and 20 (barring skewed party's). In Reach (theoretical) 50's are playing against staff captains in every playlist regularly.

Seeing as we'll be getting zero bloom slayer soon, will we have the option to play competitive ranked games with those settings? If not 1-50 then at least an arena off-shoot with no bloom on the anniversary maps (where appropriate). It would suck to only see the new maps in a social setting.

I hugely agree with that bolded part. Regardless of rank, matchmaking needs to be tightened up for Halo 4 or even Reach. Bungie said at some point (I wish I could remember where) that Reach was doing away with ranks and would use Trueskill in its raw form to match players and that it'd be more accurate and efficient. I wonder if it does a 1-50 type thing in the background?

I assume that the Trueskill works but at some point Bungie loosened the criteria for matchmaking. I'm thinking they have phases where during a certain time window it tries to find people in your skill range who are also in the same phase of searching. Once it hits the time limit, it expands the search for a wider range. Perhaps it does this a few times? The result is super quick matchmaking times, but poor results. I have experienced this even in largely populated playlists. Whether ranks return or not I'd appreciate a closer matchmaking experience, even if it means I have to wait a little longer. Surely there'd have to be a threshold for time though. I'd say my limit would be 5 minutes. Maybe even give us a way to adjust this. I don't know just thinking out loud but matchmaking should work better.

Edit: Also, guests something something guests. Fuck.

Ramirez

Hydranockz said:

If we didn't lament on how bad we thought it was, there's a chance 4 might turn out the same way, and I can't have that.

Farooq

Banned
Ramirez said:
If we didn't lament on how bad we thought it was, there's a chance 4 might turn out the same way, and I can't have that.

Ohhh, that would be bad.

I would move onto another franchise.

orznge

Banned
I, too, can't imagine wanting bad things in a product that has a shred of promise to be made better. I will play any game with enough brand equity that all my friends play it so I can utilize it as a social outlet.

Retro said:
That's good to know, though I'm surprised you can cope with it so well. I personally would have gotten sick of people doing that by now, but you're a real trooper.

2e69d1y.jpg

lol. It gets tiring when people try to make their points by literally replying to shit I never said. Or hydra over there trolling me as usual. I have fun in game, but it gets dragged down by a game like I linked. You know a problem endemic to the game? Clearly I'm nitpicking or something about quitters in Reach.

Anyway I know I complain a lot which is why I try to give back to the community by making stuff for people and having light hearted fun with the medals and such.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Everyone who complains loves Halo. We want Halo to be great. That's why we bitch at the changes we don't like.

We complain because we care <3

No, fuck us, clearly our expectations are way too damn high.

neoism

A27 Tawpgun said:
Everyone who complains loves Halo. We want Halo to be great. That's why we bitch at the changes we don't like.

We complain because we care <3
yes but 1 solid year of it. :>/

neoism said:
Agreed. I'm not saying Reach is perfect. Any thing I say now will no doubt have been 'discussed' to hell and back. Banshee, AL, quitters, bloom... I think the people your hoping to have seen such comments have seen them ten times over.

Hydranockz said:
It's not that Reach is a bad game, its just a bad Halo game. It's better than Gears and CoD 2010.

Tawpgun

neoism said:

Shows how much we truly care about the franchise.

If the community complained about drop shields in objective for 1 week only and then forgot about it they probably wouldn't have done anything about it.

If people stopped complaining, issues would be forgotten. Bungie/343 listen, but only of the voice is strong and persistent enough.

But you're not going to get an amazing 4. There will ALWAYS be something you won't like in any and every Halo game. You complained about 3 and thought Bungie was listening when they made Reach. They are always going to respond to some things sure, but never everything.

senador

Banned
Hydranockz said:
Agreed. I'm not saying Reach is perfect. Any thing I say now will no doubt have been 'discussed' to hell and back. Banshee, AL, quitters, bloom... I think the people your hoping to have seen such comments have seen them ten times over.

I don't agree with many of your posts, but I can relate to you not liking the complaints. I agree with the majority here, but the way many of them present it is very over the top, condescending and just depressing. I prefer a more constructive approach.

That said, at this point in the life of Reach and in between games there's not much to post about other than criticisms. Its natural, but with Reach we are getting more than would be normal (maybe not Halo 3 thread had plenty yeah?) because of how Reach changed Halo. That's not the only thing posted though. We've had posts about Halo music, music in general, getting to know HaloGAF better, Halo 4 hopes, CEA excitement, etc. Its not all bad. Maybe just ignore what you don't like, because its just inevitable at this point.

Hydranockz said:
But you're not going to get an amazing 4. There will ALWAYS be something you won't like in any and every Halo game. You complained about 3 and thought Bungie was listening when they made Reach. They are always going to respond to some things sure, but never everything.

This is a good point. Here's to hoping we like more things than not, and the things that aren't liked are minor and can be avoided.

Farooq said:
Lol my bad, I'm not going lie that was what I was doing.....and I only read half your post.

Hey Farooq you buddy. :p

Farooq

Banned
Devolution said:
lol. It gets tiring when people try to make their points by literally replying to shit I never said. Or hydra over there trolling me as usual. I have fun in game, but it gets dragged down by a game like I linked. You know a problem endemic to the game? Clearly I'm nitpicking or something about quitters in Reach.

Lol my bad, I'm not going lie that was what I was doing.....and I only read half your post.

Hydranockz said:

Bungie says they listen, but really they are going to design the game how they want and could give two shits what the community thinks.

I am glad they are moving on, it seems like their success got to them.

neoism

Hydranockz said:
yep. Plus I doubt 343 has people on staff looking at all of the communities and go through all of the posts to see what they like and don't like. They should make the game the way they want it... and they will. I love all the Halo games, but I hate some things in all of the games also, 4 will be no different.

Booshka

Instinct streaming Scrims, make sure to mute your stereo or unplug your headphones and turn the stream volume wayyyyyyy down. Otherwise, you may blow out your speakers and your ears, the audio is totally fucked on the stream, but if it is really low, it is audible, sorta.

http://www.twitch.tv/mlglunchbox

neoism said:
yep. Plus I doubt 343 has people on staff looking at all of the communities and go through all of the posts to see what they like and don't like. They should make the game the way they want it... and they will. I love all the Halo games, but I hate some things in all of the games also, 4 will be no different.

They're not in every one but we have David Ellis and Frankie right here with two way conversations.

senador

Banned
neoism said:

Oh but they do. ;)

Top Bottom