• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Did David Ellis(lybertyboy from 343i make that video?
b-roll footage is not intended to be released as is. IGN is just crazy lazy and published it verbatim so they could get footage out first.

BigShow36 said:
H2's crashed because of cheaters and terrible settings.

H3's crashed because of terrible settings and terrible maps.
So, you're saying Reach should not have a 1v1 playlist.

HiredN00bs said:
And then Shishka goes and does something like this and TOTALLY REDEEMS HIMSELF! ;-p

Understanding the mechanics of the game and what gametypes work well with the player population has some overlap, but I'd wager he's better at one than the other.

Reach maps are big for 2v2s, 1v1s would definitely need specialized maps.

Striker

I don't think Reach has stellar 2v2 maps, either, just like how H3 didn't. I wouldn't say 1v1 would ever really work unless they had stock maps like Turf, Midship, Lockout, Beaver Creek, or Warlock. Just doesn't mesh.

Striker said:
I don't think Reach has stellar 2v2 maps, either, just like how H3 didn't. I wouldn't say 1v1 would ever really work unless they had stock maps like Turf, Midship, Lockout, Beaver Creek, or Warlock. Just doesn't mesh.

Doubles also suffers from some of the funniest spawns I've seen.

BigShow36

GhaleonEB said:

While I generally agree that Reach's maps are pretty poor, Forge World is quite viable for 1v1 maps. There's a few good looking ones out there (I say good looking because I haven't actually played any 1v1's in Reach).

HiredN00bs said:
It's a date. We should play before too, though. For science.

I'm down.

Havok

GhaleonEB said:
Honestly, a 1v1 variant of Zealot could work better than the small Halo 3 maps did (at least in terms of launch maps). Bringing in DLC would give Anchor 9, which could be pretty great. Maybe Countdown? I dunno.

...and then there's Forge I guess to fill in the gaps. But 1v1 playlists never kept their population that well at any rate.

GhaleonEB

BigShow36 said:
While I generally agree that Reach's maps are pretty poor, Forge World is quite viable for 1v1 maps. There's a few good looking ones out there (I say good looking because I haven't actually played any 1v1's in Reach).
I was being sarcastic, given the general concensus on Reach's map quality. There are a few that would work and Forge maps can fill in the gaps. But in general I think it's such a small niche that it's not worth the effort needed to create and maintain the playlist.

BigShow36

GhaleonEB said:
But in general I think it's such a small niche that it's not worth the effort needed to create and maintain the playlist.

Looking at some of the current playlist populations and the overlap of a lot of them, I think that excuse is a little weak.

GhaleonEB

BigShow36 said:
Looking at some of the current playlist populations and the overlap of a lot of them, I think that excuse is a little weak.
It's flopped two games in a row. Make up all the excuses you want, but it's be a huge waste of time and effort. The population is not there.

Striker

I wouldn't say it flopped in Halo 2. It was around long enough and had enough players to get some players up to a high rank. Note: a friend of mine played it all the time and was in the low 30's for H2.

It definitely flopped in 3 because of the waypoint above the player, terrible maps, and so forth.

Havok

Striker said:
I wouldn't say it flopped in Halo 2. It was around long enough and had enough players to get some players up to a high rank. Note: a friend of mine played it all the time and was in the low 30's for H2.

It definitely flopped in 3 because of the waypoint above the player, terrible maps, and so forth.
Halo 2's Head to Head was a flop unless you loved getting standbyed every other game. Don't be crazy.

BigShow36

GhaleonEB said:
It's flopped two games in a row. Make up all the excuses you want, but it's be a huge waste of time and effort. The population is not there.

I already explained why it "flopped." It was a pretty healthy playlist for Halo 2 prior to all the cheating issues.

Team Classic has 200 people on a good night. Who know's how many either of the Arena playlists have, but I doubt its much more. Why do we need 5 different variations of a TS playlist but we can't have a 1v1 list? Its the one niche that isn't filled.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
I was being sarcastic, given the general concensus on Reach's map quality. There are a few that would work and Forge maps can fill in the gaps. But in general I think it's such a small niche that it's not worth the effort needed to create and maintain the playlist.
1v1 playlist wouldn't be successful for the same reason Arena isn't. People don't like being told they are bad and are scared of the results they might see from playing in the playlist.

Striker

Havok said:
Halo 2's Head to Head was a flop unless you loved getting standbyed every other game. Don't be crazy.
If you go high you do encounter those players, but that wasn't the issue for only H2H. It's duration for being online (a year) and search times were convenient enough. The playlist itself wasn't an issue, but if you want to argue Bungie's networking was, go ahead.

It's a different playlist, but so is most other stuff we commonly see nowadays. If there's a good selection of maps, it works.

Lazslo

Headlong looks so goddamn good. Can't wait to play it in a couple months. I hope there's a golden warthog somewhere...

NxXky.jpg

this game... me...
The TU probably won't fix things, so.. Should I play something that ends up making me feel terrible?

/has had particularly terrible night

Zeouterlimits said:
NxXky.jpg

this game... me...
The TU probably won't fix things, so.. Should I play something that ends up making me feel terrible?

/has had particularly terrible night

We can revel in its terrible shit together. We need some sort of cyberbar for HaloGAF.

Devolution said:
We can revel in its terrible shit together. We need some sort of cyberbar for HaloGAF.

Please no! cyberbar leads to cyber one night stands which lead to cyber children and then we have created tron.

On a more serious note the TU adresses some problems not all but some and its better than nothing, headlong and the other maps look sweet.

StalkerUKCG said:
Please no! cyberbar leads to cyber one night stands which lead to cyber children and then we have created tron.

On a more serious note the TU adresses some problems not all but some and its better than nothing, headlong and the other maps look sweet.

Slut.

Had an amazing night of reach. When the game is 'clicking' it feels so good.

Played a douchee team who were camping entrances with sword AND shotgun AND using camo to scramble radars AND using the terrible armour lock. However, I reverse incepted one of the armour lockers and his teammate in a quite astonishing fashion. Here is the clip

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23431215&player=The%20Henery

Felt really good.

Now, when I first saw armour lock in its conceptualisation my immediate fear was of a big multkill being ruined by it. That day has now been realised. I was highly displeased when this happened

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23431225&player=The%20Henery

Could've had a killtastrophe had he not AL'd. Why is it still in the game?

thee henery said:
Had an amazing night of reach. When the game is 'clicking' it feels so good.

Played a douchee team who were camping entrances with sword AND shotgun AND using camo to scramble radars AND using the terrible armour lock. However, I reverse incepted one of the armour lockers and his teammate in a quite astonishing fashion. Here is the clip

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23431215&player=The Henery

Felt really good.

Now, when I first saw armour lock in its conceptualisation my immediate fear was of a big multkill being ruined by it. That day has now been realised. I was highly displeased when this happened

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23431225&player=The Henery

Could've had a killtastrophe had he not AL'd. Why is it still in the game?

You mean you don't like it when someone takes no damage? Pfft. Casual.

Devolution said:
You mean you don't like it when someone takes no damage? Pfft. Casual.

lol

To be honest one part of the TU I feel was a waste of resources was the 'balancing' of armour lock; remove it from the game and pretend like it never happened. The effort that went into that could have been spent on adjusting grenades or the banshee, things that actually need balancing instead of removing.

Is that it for TGS?

thee henery said:
lol

To be honest one part of the TU I feel was a waste of resources was the 'balancing' of armour lock; remove it from the game and pretend like it never happened. The effort that went into that could have been spent on adjusting grenades or the banshee, things that actually need balancing instead of removing.

Why shouldn't Banshees have unlimited maneuverability and lock on bombs. They're under constant thread by other vehicle...oh wait.

Devolution said:
Why shouldn't Banshees have unlimited maneuverability and lock on bombs. They're under constant thread by other vehicle...oh wait.
This is a pretty large problem, all vehicles got nerfed but the banshee. At least the hornet could of be on most maps and serve as a semi-okay banshee killer but now the falcon is too powerfull for most maps.

StalkerUKCG said:
This is a pretty large problem, all vehicles got nerfed but the banshee. At least the hornet could of be on most maps and serve as a semi-okay banshee killer but now the falcon is too powerfull for most maps.
The way I see it, at least the TU adjusts the one thing we didn't have power over ourselves. This way, they can fumble about with crappy matchmaking settings but at least customs can be truly fun now.

Homeboyd

thee henery said:
lol

Is that it for TGS?
They dont need a TU for that. They can remove AL from MM anytime they want. See; dropshield.

Edit: nvm I see what you're saying

FyreWulff

thee henery said:
lol

Is that it for TGS?

While I don't user armor lock (evade is much more useful), we are at least getting an option for customs where we can go with the percentile they have or even adjust it to 0% drain for damage like it is now.

I wonder if you could set it to something like 1000% percent and make a gametype centered around deflecting rockets back at the people firing rockets at you. You'd have to do it at the right time or you eat a rocket from waiting for the recharge.

Havok

Devolution said:
Drop shield in objective. MFW.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2ofFqf6xeOg/TgTG0BXlemI/AAAAAAAAAQg/yYApdoccUNQ/s1600/AnnoyedDog.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
At least full teams of Drop Shielders were rare. Not like everybody and their dog evading around with shotguns on Asylum now. I'd say it was a lateral move in terms of quality, but no, it's worse.

Havok said:
At least full teams of Drop Shielders were rare. Not like everybody and their dog evading around with shotguns on Asylum now. I'd say it was a lateral move in terms of quality, but no, it's worse.

One of my distinct early Reach memories was playing a whole team of them, on Uncaged, 1 flag ctf. I still managed to get it out at the end for a score but god damn was that an exercise in futility.

What up Halo Gaf, I have a strange Halo issue and was referred to the bnet forums by live support. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else and have not heard back from anyone on those forums. My service tag was banned. I11 is not allowed as a service tag. Of course, this is not a big deal but what the hell? Any thoughts on what could be offensive about I11?

Havok

BlindSwordsmanZ said:
What up Halo Gaf, I have a strange Halo issue and was referred to the bnet forums by live support. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else and have not heard back from anyone on those forums. My service tag was banned. I11 is not allowed as a service tag. Of course, this is not a big deal but what the hell? Any thoughts on what could be offensive about I11?
Probably a copyright issue. Looks like i11 is a consulting firm who probably have the rights to that. It's the same way that N64 isn't usable, as far as I know.

cory021

Neo Member
I might not be reading this right, but isn't the Beta Hopper going to be 4v4? Why is Highlands in there? 6v6 is currently a little dull, but 4v4? That's kind of a stretch.

Also, I don't think I've ever played an 8v8 game on Highlands.

Havok said:
Probably a copyright issue. Looks like i11 is a consulting firm who probably have the rights to that. It's the same way that N64 isn't usable, as far as I know.

Grrr. I hope that's not it. I thought that it might be too close to 9/11 but either way that's weak sauce.

Retro

Ha, Golden Ranger Elite on WC was so shockingly easy, I was laughing my ass of at it. Because, you know... I hit him with a fucking truck and he went sailing overhead and almost face-first into the camera.

Only way it could have been better is if he had 'stuck' to he lens and then made a squeegy noise as he slid off it.
KuGsj.gif

Anyways, I'm about to hop on (GT: Retrogames) and wrap up my daily challenges and suffer through whatever part of Matchmaking I decide to fall into.... figure I might as well partake before the TU comes along and makes the game better. So I can point my cane at people and say "In my day, we had to deal with fucking 100% bloom, and Armor Lock everywhere, and when we wanted to capture the flag, it was uphill both ways"

And, as usual, my little multi-level urban combat map would love to be tested if anyone feels like giving it a go.

Top Bottom