• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

BigShow36

orznge said:
or a Halo game past CE that was mechanically able to function as a 1v1 game

The sad result of massive aim assist, slow strafe and the engendering of reward without effort or ability.

I miss you Halo.

Woorloog

Banned
Re-installed Halo 2 Vista. KB/M sucks (but i don't have a controller for PC)... but windowed mode made them a lot better. Strange huh? Feels more responsive in windowed mode.
Halo 2 BR had a good sound and dual SMGs are always a lot of fun. Need to find a second pistol...

Tashi0106 said:
<3 thanks for the link. Downloading gametypes now.

Any idea which gametypes are pool play/pro bracket gametypes only?

I hope they're submitted to 343i and going to be implemented into MM soon.

Those ones are just the 11 circuit gametypes. Don't think they've released the "playlist gametypes" yet.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn, i love Halo 2 magnum. Reach's magnum is good, scope and all but this is way better. Dual-wielding ODST magnums would be even better (with more health/shield damage ofc)

I really miss dual-wielding. In Halo 3 it wasn't worth the effor most of the time but still...
I hope Halo 4 brings it back.

wwm0nkey

Woorloog said:
Damn, i love Halo 2 magnum. Reach's magnum is good, scope and all but this is way better. Dual-wielding ODST magnums would be even better (with more health/shield damage ofc)

I really miss dual-wielding. In Halo 3 it wasn't worth the effor most of the time but still...
Those things where water pistols in Halo 2 lol

vhfive

Woorloog said:

pp + H2 pistol was beastly

Homeboyd

MrBig said:
Winter Contingency. After getting in the truck, take the first right and keep going straight. Keep right when the road splits at the first house. One might spawn to the left in some rocks and pass in front of the bridge after the the road turns. There is never a 100% chance that he will be there. You have to play the mission from the start on Heroic/Leg.
Just to clarify, you do not have to play from the start. I load up rally point alpha to nab this challenge everytime it pops up and run it on WC. He's there 90% of the time.. I'll switch between leg/heroic if he's not. You will have to restart from the menu if he's not there though... restarting from previous checkpoint won't work.

Woorloog said:
I don't give Reach credit for much, but abolishing dual wielding is one of the changes I'm happy with. I'd prefer them to concentrate making each weapon useful individually instead of having all these half weapons laying about.

Crucio

Ramirez said:
52 weeks of torture, congratulations.
Yeah some weeks were hell. I'm glad to join him in the ranks!

Did Twitter just die? I can't load the page!

The list is amazingly small. I'm sure I hit 52 however. Oh she collected the stats pages from the forums. Nevermind.

Edit: I gotta give kudos to the crazy-er people out there who never missed a Daily. Wow.

FyreWulff

Yeah twitter just died.

Also holy shit I didn't realize the list was so small. It's a shame because there was another guy who's tag I'm still trying to find (I tweeted it at some point) and he missed a single weekly like 3 weeks ago. Don't know what happened to him.

Woorloog

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Those things where water pistols in Halo 2 lol
I was mostly talking about how they feel. And they're very good in campaign.

As for dual-wielding, i understand the rationale of its removal... but it could've been desinged differently, without that half a weapon part. Proper weapons, where you trade off accuracy, grenades, scope and melee in favor of additional weapon. How about ODST SMG as an utility weapon (accurate to medium range, automatic, large magazine, common) you can pair with another weapon? There are moments where i'd gladly trade accuracy, scope and grenades for additional firepower or utilitty (Plasma rifle for dropping shield for example).

Ramirez

.Edit: I gotta give kudos to the crazy-er people out there who never missed a Daily. Wow

Is there a list for that one? I find it hard to believe that someone didn't have something more important to do one day out of the year than to complete 4 crappy daily challenges, lol.

Crucio

FyreWulff said:
Nope, it wasn't that one. It looked like he/she just straight up missed it.
Man that must be a real downer after expecting to have em all. I mean missing 3-4 you know you didn't hit it, but one dam weekly. That must suck.

Ramirez said:
Is there a list for that one? I find it hard to believe that someone didn't have something more important to do one day out of the year than to complete 4 crappy daily challenges, lol.
There's some posts in the Halowaypoint 52 challenges thread that said they completed it. But they also said his stats were screwed up somehow. So I don't know. There's gotta be someone out there that has it.

Homeboyd

Ramirez said:
Naked Eli has done every single one. Oh even the glitched ones that were next to impossible.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
Naked Eli has done every single one. Oh even the glitched ones that were next to impossible.
Poor guy. We even had that one to do 50 no-death rounds of Firefight as a daily instead of weekly as it was intended. (We've never seen it as a weekly, hint hint.)

That's a lot of freaking Firefight in one day.

Hey You

I hopefully the changes won't be totally matchmaking wise. You know there are people out there who like exactly everything how it is? Aside from Bad Forge World maps, Reach is my favorite Halo Multiplayer of all time. Most things in Reach are alright and I don't mind them.

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:
Poor guy. We even had that one to do 50 no-death rounds of Firefight as a daily instead of weekly as it was intended. (We've never seen it as a weekly, hint hint.)

That's a lot of freaking Firefight in one day.
I must've blanked that out of my memory for it being so outrageous. When did that one come by?

Da Tweets and back.

Hey You said:
I hopefully the changes won't be totally matchmaking wise. You know there are people out there who like exactly everything how it is? Aside from Bad Forge World maps, Reach is my favorite Halo Multiplayer of all time. Most things in Reach are alright and I don't mind them.
Edit:Yes most things in Reach are great but the Armor Lock and certain other tweaks need to be made in my opinion to better the overall experience.

Ramirez

Homeboyd said:

lol, I bet he's a cool guy.

Hey You said:

We've had to put up with this garbage for a year, I think it's only fair you get to play with a balanced AL, Camo, etc. ;)

Ken

Homeboyd said:

At release I was trying to go for every single daily and weekly until the Pass the Rock daily came up (around the 50th daily?). At that point I realized I had better things to do and stopped going for challenges.

Homeboyd said:
Naked Eli's B.net stat page. lolaboutme

#1 Daily & Weekly Challenges (100%)
#1 K/D in BTB All Stars (17.55)
1st Place in FLAG Firefight Tournament 2011*
*Won a rare Halo Comic-Con poster signed by Bungie!
#1 and only Zero Shot Conqueror (Halo 3, Legendary, No Shooting, No Deaths)
Reach, ODST & H3 Mythic Conqueror (Legendary, All Skulls On, No Deaths)
11 World Record Halo Speedruns

Not too hard to picture what this guy is like. 92.00 K/D with a Banshee lol.

Sad that the Banshee is described as a "support aircraft" but is far from being simply support.

senador

Banned
Just got the mail...

grunt-plush.jpg

Thanks Ramirez! <3

GhaleonEB

Crucio said:
I must've blanked that out of my memory for it being so outrageous. When did that one come by?
It was early on. Looking it up, turns out it was just 20. Which is still a lot...

Just Hold On...
Complete 20 Rounds in Firefight Matchmaking without dying.
3000 cR
November 11, 2010

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fyrewulf, you're crazy (and uh, your dedication is inspirational!). It must be nice to know there's someone even crazier out there, though.

FyreWulff

Yeah, I gave up the idea of streaking the dailies for a year sometime in October. I know it didn't take long for me to miss one.

Lyphen said:
Fyrewulf, you're crazy (and uh, your dedication is inspirational!). It must be nice to know there's someone even crazier out there, though.

I'm still happy that I'm not the highest ranked member of my clan so far. But that's going to hold up for about one more week before I overtake him :lol

senador said:
Just got the mail...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20946807/grunt-plush.jpg[IMG]

Thanks Ramirez! <3[/QUOTE]
So glad I bought one when Wu put 'em up. Can't wait to get it in my hands, I feel like a kid again. :lol

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Devolution said:
Ot, but randomly search around for stuff related to a classmate's project and I come across this.

xbox360soap.jpg

it's soap

Equally random, we actually had one of those in the office. It was still in the wrapping. No idea if it was official or fan made.

FyreWulff

HiredN00bs said:
I don't think you'd have very much competition. But if you're ever up for one, message me, I could always use more humility.

Also it'd just crash and burn like the Halo 2 and Halo 3 1v1 playlists.

Retro

The soap looks like Cookies & Creme ice cream, and I don't have any.... damnit =\

Devolution said:
I've been thinking long and hard about this.

......... Nah, too easy.
KuGsj.gif

My idea for quitters; institute cR Garnishment. Not an active removal of existing cR (kids would just spend it all as fast as possible), but an actual deduction made from all cR earned. Quit often enough, and you get a 1000 cR garnishment; after every match, whatever cR you earn is reduced by 100 until you've paid off the penalty. Quit while you're still working off the last chunk of debt? Kicks it up to the next level of penalty, maybe 2000 cR and 200 a match.

The point is, habitual quitters are penalized not by losing the cR they have (which can be spent to avoid penalties) but by losing the cR they would earn in the future. It doesn't punish those who occasionally quit (and you wouldn't be penalized until you had quit a certain number of times either), because over the span of a few games they will probably have paid off their debt. Those who quit often keep getting deeper and deeper in the hole though.

And I would, of course, institute lesser penalties if you're the 'last one out'.

FyreWulff

Booshka said:
How he is only a Legend after doing 52 weekly challenges is what I want to know.

A) I don't grind commendations b) don't play enough Firefight and c) because I was so sick or busy some weeks that I literally just finished the weekly and stopped playing until the next one came up.

Ramirez said:
Do you plan on going for 104?

I think that's going to be if time allows. If they try a 150 wins weekly.. yeah, the streak's over :lol

Ken

Retro said:
......... Nah, too easy.

My idea for quitters; institute cR Garnishment.

Do quitters even care about cR? Seems like your cR debt system would be better suited for idlers than quitters.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Wow @ his Campaign Tool of Destruction is the Target Designator.
And 14,000 kills with the Saber, to max out the War Machine Commendation.

I find this kind of thing really sad. Literally so, that people become that obsessive.

(The Banshee is his Multiplayer ToD. So he's one of those.)

FyreWulff

Ken said:
Do quitters even care about cR? Seems like your cR debt system would be better suited for idlers than quitters.

You had some people that would intentionally quit in Halo 3 so that they could be a level 45-50 Recruit to keep their EXP from getting too high. I wonder if they thought that actually affected their skill level.

I still don't get WHY people did that, but they did. Don't know if that played into not being able to lose cR in Reach.

Retro

Ken said:

Probably a good point, and I probably shouldn't even be pitching solutions for a problem I personally cannot get my head around. Not only does Halo Honor™ prevent me from quitting, but I don't understand the logic behind it. Are people scared of getting beat? Is it because they don't like the selected map/gametype? To me, it's a game.... quitting like a baby just doesn't make sense to me.

Retro said:
Probably a good point, and I probably shouldn't even be pitching solutions for a problem I personally cannot get my head around. Not only does Halo Honor™ prevent me from quitting, but I don't understand the logic behind it. Are people scared of getting beat? Is it because they don't like the selected map/gametype? To me, it's a game.... quitting like a baby just doesn't make sense to me.

I've quit out of games that were basically farmfests. I'm not going to sit there and get killed spawn after spawn. Who honestly wants to? I have a lot of quits in h3 because the MM was terrible in big team.

And instead of gettin' mad at the game, I'm writing down questions about all kinds of stuff I don't understand in this game. I already thought up a lot of them so the list is gettin' to be long with no effort what so ever.

lybertyboy said:
Equally random, we actually had one of those in the office. It was still in the wrapping. No idea if it was official or fan made.

Well you have to use one now and tell us your thoughts =O.

BigShow36

HiredN00bs said:
I don't think you'd have very much competition. But if you're ever up for one, message me, I could always use more humility.

I'd love to once the TU drops.

FyreWulff said:
Also it'd just crash and burn like the Halo 2 and Halo 3 1v1 playlists.

H2's crashed because of cheaters and terrible settings.

H3's crashed because of terrible settings and terrible maps.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I point you to the PC market.

But as far as console shooters go, its the best current one, as in Halo 3 is better, but due to low population and lack of support, you could make the arguement that Reach is better. But talking pure gameplay, H3 > Reach.

Also, why bloom is bad, written by a 343i employee.

[quoted by line in reply]

Game. Set. Match.

Interested in seeing 85% bloom.
I wanted to draw attention to a few points in this quote:

"For the Needle Rifle, for example, the optimal cadence is to hold down the trigger for three shots, then let go and hold it again for three more shots, then deliver the seventh shot to the head."

How can you say a cadence is optimal without the specifics of the encounter? There are so many variables that affect whether your cadence is optimal: distance to target, team fire, shooting for head or body, aim, etc. There's isn't a one-size-fits-all cadence unless you've got two guys just standing still at a fixed distance, and that's not useful data. One of the great things I like about the Rifles in Reach is that combat varies so much (in my experience, much more than in Halo 3).

"Ultimately, bloom and cadence (among other features) were specifically designed to give Reach a slower pace than previous titles. However, a couple of notable features have arisen from this decision: for starters, cadence is easily interrupted in Reach. In fact, many of the Armor Abilities are almost explicitly designed to do that and waiting for that fifth DMR shot to be ready can be really frustrating when you lose the race against your opponent’s Armor Lock energy recovery."

See, I read this as more of a condemnation of AAs, specifically armor lock, than of cadence. Under classic settings or MLG, this isn't even an issue.

"Second, shooting to cadence is really only a valid tactic at range; the closer you get to your opponent, the less cadence applies, and players both casual and competitive can attest to how spamming the trigger actually becomes the more reliable option here. So, ultimately while the goal was to make the weapons feel more sophisticated and add a layer of skill required to use them, the net result has been that medium range weapons such as the DMR feel unreliable at their intended range, and trigger spam has not been discouraged."

It's more reliable to spam when you're close. That's because you can fill your reticle at close range. It becomes more of an aim game at close range, but that's not a bad thing. The problem is that people spam at mid-range, which is too far, and then perceive the weapon to be inconsistent. Trigger spam shouldn't be discouraged at close range, and if you wanted to do that, you'd increase bloom. Yeah.

When all is said and done, I like the idea of playing with less or no bloom because I can aim and I can dominate the game even more. And who doesn't like that? I look forward to the TU, GAF customs with the new gametype, and the Beta Hoppers. Exciting times, indeed.

Top Bottom